Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: S54 in E36 M3, my turn

My Cars
    S54/E36,18 Sierra Denali
    Quote Originally Posted by TH3 Shifty View Post
    awesome let me know if it fits.. my guibo has never been changed so im going to add that to the list of "while its out" parts.

have you done the detent pins on your trans? i was going to do those while my trans was out too..
    ill keep you posted on that. It'll fit, the play in the splines at the CSB is more than enough to accommodate the the wider E46M disk. And yes I did the detents. A must if the Trans is out. I bought the tools and used the ECS Kit. Cover shipping And you can borrow them when your ready. Took me about 4 hours going slow to get them all done. Made a world of difference. Zero missed shifts even at 8200rpm...though I'm dropping it to 7900 for prolonged motor life.

edit also did selector shaft seal. Might as well
    Last edited by PITT M3 RR; 03-12-2017 at 07:26 PM.

My Cars
    98 M3/4/5
    update: or lack there of

currently in the process of lapping the exhaust valves.. the intake valves didnt really need it, i kept them in order so as to replace them into their previous homes. the exhaust valves had a lot of pitting on the seats so i decided to hand lap them. have 1 valve done, 11 more to go, kinda time consuming but i want to make sure these will seal correctly and keep the compression up.

decided to make a list of things needed to keep the thread up to date. I will be uploading pics probably later on today

In the need of:
    DME
    S54 cluster (if Gpeterson's conversion is easy enough)
    Z3M wiring harness
    Conversion harness
    Spark plugs
    Section 1, 2 (not sure yet if i can swing going to Euro headers and Euro cats)
    Cam sensors (dont really need them but just something to swap out "in case")
    Oxygen Sensors (need these because originals were broke)
    Z3M motor arm mount.. apparently on back order with NO ETA... great
    E36 M3 euro passenger mount
    98 Estoril ///M3 4/6
    S54 swap CSL

My Cars
    E36 M3 TV/ E36 M3 CB
    Keep it up man, progress is looking good! Got any more updates so far?

My Cars
    98 M3/4/5
    funny you should mention that... ive been taking pics and need to update this..

looking to pull the S52 out this week... the S54 is ready to drop in... still need some big ticket items.. like Andrews swap harness, Gpetersons board, and a few odds and ends.. ill be updating with pics probably tomorrow.. need to get them off my phone

not gonna lie.. the wiring has me freaked out.. i need as close to a plug n play as possible as im not electrically inclined AT ALL.. i can do all things mechanical though
    98 Estoril ///M3 4/6
    S54 swap CSL

My Cars
    S54/E36,18 Sierra Denali
    I'll help you out w that as best I can and I can def refer to mine to help also.

My Cars
    98 M3/4/5
    seriously thank you for that... ive been reading your thread almost daily for guidance on this swap.
    98 Estoril ///M3 4/6
    S54 swap CSL

My Cars
    M3
    I like some good non boosted content once in awhile. If I ever do a n/a power build it will be this exact swap. Great work keep the updates coming people do read this.

My Cars
    98 M3/4/5
    just a picture update. this is the EWK valve spring tool i used to do the valve seals... super easy to use as it lets you have access to the springs much easier than a srew down type
    [IMG][/IMG]

cams timed.. yay
    [IMG][/IMG]

Vanos, water pump, crank pulley, throttle acutator and ITBS on
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    opposite side

its more complete than this right now... i have all the accessory brackets on, as well as the valve cover and exhaust studs
    98 Estoril ///M3 4/6
    S54 swap CSL

My Cars
    98 M3/4/5
    quick question. do we need to use the E36 M3 coolant sensor thats in the head, in place of the E46 M3 sensor thats in the coolant pipe attached to the head?
    98 Estoril ///M3 4/6
    S54 swap CSL

My Cars
    S54/E36,18 Sierra Denali
    G Peterson says the E36 coolant temp sensor works fine. Andrews swap harness has a plug for it. I have both in...one in the techna adapter and the E46 in its normal place. When I had my E36 cluster it worked I'm guessing from the E36 unit and now with the Z3M cluster and harness,
    I use the E46 sensor.

- - - Updated - - -

Btw looks great. the sensor was discussed in my thread. Check with him for clarity.

My Cars
    98 M3/4/5
    just incase i missed something, i dont need any part of the engine harness from the E36 right? i already disconnected the front harness that has the lights washer bottle, ext.. just making sure i dont need anything from the engine harness to carry over to the S54... pretty sure i dont but thought i would ask.
    98 Estoril ///M3 4/6
    S54 swap CSL

My Cars
    S54/E36,18 Sierra Denali
    Ya you need the diagnostic plug that was near the air pump IF you want to access the SRS, ABS, Etc...basically everything except the DME.

Heres a diagram I made.

- - - Updated - - -

Blue one goes to X17 Pin 6

- - - Updated - - -

check this out https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...ecommendations

- - - Updated - - -

If you follow a black line that has multiple point of connection, you can just pick one based on where you're installing the plug. For instance, pin 16 can be tapped at the reverse plug, DME, X20 or (not show) the ignition green wire. Make sense?

This is a timely discussion. I did my swap four years ago, and never gave a thought to the loss of the 20-pin connector.....until my service reminder tripped recently. I got to thinking about how to reset it, and realized I didn't have a clue. It's a dedicated track car, so I'm not really concerned with the SI, SRS is gone, and the car never had ASC. I would like to be able to access ABS diagnostics, though.
    '95 M3 S54 Track Toy
    '19 X5 40i M-Sport
    '16 Cayman GT4
    ‘23 GR Corolla

My Cars
    S54/E36,18 Sierra Denali
    All the info comes over RXD and TXD lines. Install it as shown or make the necessary changes for your 95 and you should be able to access everything. Read about the ADS interfaces etc. it's not too bad of an addition.

Quote Originally Posted by PITT M3 RR View Post
    Read about the ADS interfaces etc. it's not too bad of an addition.
    I tried. Now my head hurts. Too much geek stuff for me. Old dog, new tricks syndrome.
    '95 M3 S54 Track Toy
    '19 X5 40i M-Sport
    '16 Cayman GT4
    ‘23 GR Corolla

My Cars
    98 M3/4/5
    k so like i said im not good with wiring... does this thing un-clip or am i needing to trace wiring and un-pin wires??

and that link you posted where you guys are talking about k Lines??? .... k... WHAT??? not computer literate here at ALL... no clue whats going on.. crap im in trouble with this...
    Last edited by TH3 Shifty; 05-09-2017 at 10:08 PM.
    98 Estoril ///M3 4/6
    S54 swap CSL

My Cars
    S54/E36,18 Sierra Denali
    Aright so basically. The diagnostic plug needs power at all times, power in run and start and a ground. For ease, let's say you install it where I did in the cabin.

Take the steering wheel off, pop column and you can see the ignition tumbler. Out the back is a thick red and thick green wire. Red is + all the time, green is + with key in run and start. After that, you literally just follow the diagram above. Those conections allow the data to move back and forth. You have to get good at wiring haha it's a must!

Too bad bad you aren't closer. Do you have the ETMs yet? (Electronic trouble shooting manuals)

My Cars
    98 M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by PITT M3 RR View Post
    Aright so basically. The diagnostic plug needs power at all times, power in run and start and a ground. For ease, let's say you install it where I did in the cabin.

Take the steering wheel off, pop column and you can see the ignition tumbler. Out the back is a thick red and thick green wire. Red is + all the time, green is + with key in run and start. After that, you literally just follow the diagram above. Those conections allow the data to move back and forth. You have to get good at wiring haha it's a must!

Too bad bad you aren't closer. Do you have the ETMs yet? (Electronic trouble shooting manuals)
    are those found in the TIS download? i have that on CD downloaded to my computer... i also just got a Bently manual,
    98 Estoril ///M3 4/6
    S54 swap CSL

My Cars
    98 M3/4/5
    also since im selling the harness with the motor i just sold.. would it be best that i get just the 20pin and wire it in? where did you get yours? all i can find online is the male diagnostic connector
    98 Estoril ///M3 4/6
    S54 swap CSL

My Cars
    S54/E36,18 Sierra Denali
    You're gonna need these, let me know if you need a quick "how to" road them

http://wedophones.com/Manuals/BMW/19...g%20Manual.pdf

http://wedophones.com/Manuals/BMW/20...g%20Manual.pdf

thr Z3m one is great for all mss54 / DME / motor wiring info

- - - Updated - - -

I cut mine from my 328 / m3 harness. See if you can locate a junkyard car or damaged harness.

My Cars
    98 M3/4/5
    so just reading r3vlimited, under andrews post for his swap harness... he includes the 20pin as an option.. so i guess i dont need to worry about trying to get this off my existing harness?
    98 Estoril ///M3 4/6
    S54 swap CSL

My Cars
    S54/E36,18 Sierra Denali
    If you have not ordered it yet, def add it on!

Remember I paid Kassel before I knew anything. Paid a premium for a base harness I guess. Oh well, I worked it out.

My Cars
    98 M3/4/5
    Small update:

sold my s52 to a memeber, shipped it out yesterday.

Ordered the z3m engine harness from BMW of South Atlanta, that shipped out yesterday. And I just placed my order with Andrew for his swap harness with a few options like : Z4M sport button, 20pin diagnostic port, and the CAN for the cluster A/C and check engine.

in the meantime I'm going to bust out the pressure washer and hose down the engine bay. Very dirty and it needs a good cleaning. Also I might start work on doing the dent pins on the trans, the clutch looked good, might change the disk just incase.

Still need a few things:
    MAF and air box
    MSS54 DME
    Front O2 sensors
    power steering hoses
    section 1 & 2 exhaust
    98 Estoril ///M3 4/6
    S54 swap CSL

My Cars
    98 M3/4/5
    IMG_3686.jpg
    IMG_3687.jpg
    IMG_3704.jpg

Dont know now why these pics go sideways, s52 taken out, sold and shipped to the new owner
    98 Estoril ///M3 4/6
    S54 swap CSL

My Cars
    98 M3/4/5
    Helpful bits of info regarding pulling an engine if you decide to pull off the front end. I did this all alone with No help from anyone.

i pulled the motor and trans out together and left the headers on. You MUST disconnect the steering shaft. Pull the 2 long bolts out of the steering rack to drop it. Get a load leveled from harbor freight. Get the 2 ton one as it's bigger and longer.
    you must pull the intake off, otherwise the chain will put too much pressure on it when lifting. Pull the ac compressor to gain access to the motor mount, pull the ground strap off the frame from there too, pull the power steering pump off but you can let it dangle.
    98 Estoril ///M3 4/6
    S54 swap CSL

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast