Page 1 of 18 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: S54 in E36 M3, my turn

My Cars
    98 M3/4/5

S54 in E36 M3, my turn

after mulling it over and countless hours searching and reading, I finally decided on a swap. S54, got a killer deal from a member on here, super easy transaction. So i decided ill document my swap here to aid or help others looking to do the same. this wont be an over night thing or even done in a month or two. Im expecting at least 3-4 months.

so like i said, got motor from a board member, had it shipped across country from the east coast to UT. I was a bit apprehensive about this as i had never had to ship such a large item but the process was rather easy, an relatively cheap.

About the shipping company:
    I used YRC, i called their customer service directly and their agents were more than nice and easy to deal with, emailed me all the documents for the motor. The other party sending me the motor got all the labels on, put it on a pallet and dropped it off. for an FYI the shipping eight of a an S54 on a pallet with everything on it (clutch, headers, all accessories) was 510lbs, and i used freight class 77.5 as per the agent suggestions.

i tracked it to the terminal, and decided to call their terminal office to confirm it was infact there, because this company has gotten some bad reviews on google. So expecting to get a grumpy know-nothing mouth breather on the phone, the clerk was a very nice lady who took my info and confirmed that my shipment was on the dock, in a good place and ready for pickup. She also said she was the one whom to see when we get there and gave me great directions. So we got the truck, headed out. Got to the terminal, still skeptical about this lady, we got to the office, she was there and quite pleasant, remembered me by name that we spoke 30min ago, had my paperwork ready and handed me my shipping bill, told me to hand it to one of the guys on the doc and they will load it via fork lift. These guys were super nice, loaded it up quite easily, everything looked great. I was in and out in literally 15min. So to sum it up, I had a great experience with YRC and would definately use them again.

So the plan:
    My M3 is sort of a daily driver, we have 2 other cars but i love driving the M everywhere. There is currently NO issue with my S52, infact its a beast, but time for something new.
    I plan to keep the S54 as stock as possible, with exception of exhaust(maybe euro headers and mid pipe) and intake. I think this is plenty HP for my purpose, I dont race or go to the track but maybe once a year, we have fantastic mountain roads and back roads up here so thats where she will stretch her legs.
    I do plan to keep my 5 speed and stock rear end gearing, A/C is a must to keep, and i generally want to have everything work like it does normally.

The motor plans before install:
    I will be changing out the oil pan(needs a new one) and installing WPC treated rod bearing and mains. Doing rear and front seals, timing chain, oil chain and tensioners, and generally all the "while you're in there" maintenance things. I'll be doing the VANOS seals and replacing the timing bolts and various gaskets.

I only have 2 pictures right now, its the motor on the engine hoist. Tomorrow we will put it on the motor stand and start the basic tear down. I have several packages out from FPC Euro, ECS Tuning, VAC, and i think Bimmerworld that should be coming in this week and next, as well as the bearings coming in from a group buy on M3forum.

pic one
    [IMG][/IMG]

pic 2
    [IMG][/IMG]

more to come through out next few months. and for those already done with their swap, please feel free to chime in with tips, and know that ill be picking your brains too.
    98 Estoril ///M3 4/6
    S54 swap CSL

Good luck with your swap. Keep the checkbook handy!
    '95 M3 S54 Track Toy
    '19 X5 40i M-Sport
    '16 Cayman GT4
    ‘23 GR Corolla

My Cars
    95 M3 & Legacy Manwagon
    Quote Originally Posted by m3bs View Post
    Good luck with your swap. Keep the checkbook handy!
    This! You'll blink and be in for 2x what you budgeted and still not be done....

I also used YRC for shipping my motor. Was painless and fast!
    "Fear disturbs your concentration" -Sabine Schmit

1995 BMW M3/2/5-- S54 + Mk60 DSC, California Smog Legal (Build Thread)
    1998 BMW M3/4/5 Alpine/Modena, Z3 Rack, otherwise stock-- DD without burbles
    2017 Chevy SS, Orange Blast Metallic, 6MT -- DD with burbles

My Cars
    98 M3/4/5
    Yeah I know there will be unknowns so I'm prepared, also prepared to go 8+ months to finish,
    98 Estoril ///M3 4/6
    S54 swap CSL

My Cars
    98 S54 M3 / 16 Audi SQ5
    Awesome! Can't wait to see the progress of this build!

My Cars
    98 M3/4/5
    Didn't get very much time today, only about an hour and thirty minutes, so I got the motor unwrapped and on the stand
    [IMG][/IMG]
    98 Estoril ///M3 4/6
    S54 swap CSL

My Cars
    E36 M, E32 740i/6, 997 S
    Very excited for the thread! What are your plans as far as emissions are concerned?

My Cars
    98 M3/4/5
    Well here in UT there are basically no laws or rules on engine swaps. the only rules are that you must have catalytic converters, and pass the OBDII plug in test. I want to use the euro headers and cats, don't know if I will yet though.

so today I started the tear down, removed the wiring harness, air box, dipstick, power steering pump, A/C compressor, motor mounts, and exhaust manifolds. Seems like this engine has an oil leak from the valve cover gasket area. I've been going slower than normal to get familiar with the motor and its layout, and to label and bag up bolts and parts

did I read right that we should use the S52 A/C compressor, alternator, and power steering pump?

Progress pics of the tear down to come, this motor has 179k miles on it, came out of a 2005 SMG car.
    98 Estoril ///M3 4/6
    S54 swap CSL

My Cars
    M3, 850i, E30T, E55T
    Looking forward to this. I have a built S52 and an S54+trans has come up locally for an insane price and I'm trying to talk myself into (out of) it.

My Cars
    95 M3 & Legacy Manwagon
    Quote Originally Posted by TH3 Shifty View Post
    Well here in UT there are basically no laws or rules on engine swaps. the only rules are that you must have catalytic converters, and pass the OBDII plug in test. I want to use the euro headers and cats, don't know if I will yet though.so today I started the tear down, removed the wiring harness, air box, dipstick, power steering pump, A/C compressor, motor mounts, and exhaust manifolds. Seems like this engine has an oil leak from the valve cover gasket area. I've been going slower than normal to get familiar with the motor and its layout, and to label and bag up bolts and partsdid I read right that we should use the S52 A/C compressor, alternator, and power steering pump? Progress pics of the tear down to come, this motor has 179k miles on it, came out of a 2005 SMG car.
    OBD will likely be a bit of a pain-- you'll need a functioning Evap system to pass, depending on how whether they can detect spoofed signals in the plug in test. It's doable without spoofing, but if you can code stuff out and still pass....do that.S52 AC compressor (and bracket) makes it easy (tho S54 will work with adapted lines), S54 alternator definitely, either power steering. S54 power steering makes it easy to buy pullies, S52 means you don't have to mess with fluid lines....your choice.If you do use the S52 compressor and bracket, the vanos accumulator hard line very likely will not reach once you reposition the accumulator. I used the Bimmerworld vanos line for this reason, though I think Rogue and some others make one that would work just as well.For motor mount arms, I used Z3 S54 driver's side and E36 M3 euro passenger side. Euro M3 one has a nice heat shield to cover the vanos accumulator and the back of the AC compressor. Probably isn't needed, but it was cool, so I used it.Euro cats and headers will work fine. You'll need to lengthen your O2 harness but that's super easy to do in half an hour or so, no splicing needed.Change rod bearings, vanos bulletproofing, and valve adjustment while it's on a stand. It will be a bitch in the car.
    "Fear disturbs your concentration" -Sabine Schmit

1995 BMW M3/2/5-- S54 + Mk60 DSC, California Smog Legal (Build Thread)
    1998 BMW M3/4/5 Alpine/Modena, Z3 Rack, otherwise stock-- DD without burbles
    2017 Chevy SS, Orange Blast Metallic, 6MT -- DD with burbles

My Cars
    98 M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmerman535i View Post
    OBD will likely be a bit of a pain-- you'll need a functioning Evap system to pass, depending on how whether they can detect spoofed signals in the plug in test. It's doable without spoofing, but if you can code stuff out and still pass....do that.S52 AC compressor (and bracket) makes it easy (tho S54 will work with adapted lines), S54 alternator definitely, either power steering. S54 power steering makes it easy to buy pullies, S52 means you don't have to mess with fluid lines....your choice.If you do use the S52 compressor and bracket, the vanos accumulator hard line very likely will not reach once you reposition the accumulator. I used the Bimmerworld vanos line for this reason, though I think Rogue and some others make one that would work just as well.For motor mount arms, I used Z3 S54 driver's side and E36 M3 euro passenger side. Euro M3 one has a nice heat shield to cover the vanos accumulator and the back of the AC compressor. Probably isn't needed, but it was cool, so I used it.Euro cats and headers will work fine. You'll need to lengthen your O2 harness but that's super easy to do in half an hour or so, no splicing needed.Change rod bearings, vanos bulletproofing, and valve adjustment while it's on a stand. It will be a bitch in the car.
    Great advice. I'm taking this down to the short block, WPC rod bearings coming, biesan systems VANOS seal kit, new oil pump chain and guide. Debating on a new oil pump because the engine had 179k miles, not sure how to tell if it needs replacing or not. Head gasket ect.

i won't be doing the wiring, I was planning on using Kassel performance plug and play wiring harness which they state is full functioning OBDII.

what sensors are notorious for going bad? I want to replace those. I hear the cam sensors to bad often, I'm doing all I can do while it's on the stand
    98 Estoril ///M3 4/6
    S54 swap CSL

My Cars
    98 M3/4/5
    Also is the cam switching solenoid a must to have for cam removal?

What technique did you guys use to remove the cam shafts if you didn't use the $800 special cam tool?
    98 Estoril ///M3 4/6
    S54 swap CSL

My Cars
    S54/E36,18 Sierra Denali
    Hey PM'd about Kassel and I'm in the middle of my S54 swap (still waiting on Kassel harness) - check my thread for some other good info / part #s tips etc.

and yes yes most of all, be prepared for at least 100 + quick $20 dollar here and there purchases.

ECS and Ebay have really come through for me during this build.

Lastly if your trans is out and on a table, DO THE DETENTS! You might think you don't need them, but it's a night a day difference! Trans feels new.

edit secure oil pump nut!
    Last edited by PITT M3 RR; 09-10-2016 at 11:17 PM.

My Cars
    98 M3/4/5
    Excellent thank you for the heads up
    98 Estoril ///M3 4/6
    S54 swap CSL

My Cars
    M3, 850i, E30T, E55T
    Cams came out well just loosening each nut a few threads at a time but first rotating the cams to the position where there is the least pressure....don't recall what it was now but it's documented somewhere.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    98 M3/4/5
    [IMG][/IMG]Time to give a small update:

got around to removing a lot of parts off the motor, bagging nuts and bolts, labeling ect. Also took apart the VANOS. Looks as if the bolts have already been changed/upgraded so that's a plus, looks as though the vanos was a source of a small oil leak. The gaskets on the vanos had never been changed so will order Beisan systems gaskets and parts.

Got out a new oil pan from a member on m3forum, gasket kit from ECS, also got in on a group buy for WPC treated rod bearings with bolts, more various parts in the way from ECS and FCP.

[IMG]
    [/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    98 Estoril ///M3 4/6
    S54 swap CSL

My Cars
    S54/E36,18 Sierra Denali
    Awesome- if you didn't see it in Panjo, there's a KMS S54 engine mgt system w euro headers, Cable throttle conversion and a vac vanos delete plate

My Cars
    1986 325es
    Quote Originally Posted by PITT M3 RR View Post
    Awesome- if you didn't see it in Panjo, there's a KMS S54 engine mgt system w euro headers, Cable throttle conversion and a vac vanos delete plate
    Thanks for mentioning that cause Panjo doesn't let me see it either. Also, please excuse my ignorance but why was VANOS deleted? Will it stay deleted once in the E36? If so, what's the point? Are radical cams being used?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    96 M3
    Obd2 "compliance" is super easy, just disable all the stuff you don't need in the ecu and then no errors will show up. Mine doesn't have errors for the evap system, etc.

My Cars
    98 M3/4/5
    More updates:

got the head off, oil pan off and cams out.... Then I saw something bad
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

thus is the front dual cam holder. It's isolated only to the intake side, no other cam bearings affected. Problem is that realoem.com doesn't list a part number, and u can't find this for sale separate from buying the whole damn head!
    so I emailed bimmerworld, VAC, and Turner and sent them pics, asking if they knew of how to a place to source this, or if it can be machined. So far I have only heard back from VAC, the CS guy forwarded my dilemma and pics to their engine builders to get an answer. I'll check back with them on Monday.

If if anyone knows what to do or where to source this or had a spare(not bloody likely) please let me know ASAP. Thanks
    98 Estoril ///M3 4/6
    S54 swap CSL

My Cars
    S54/E36,18 Sierra Denali
    Ouch - there's always a few S54 part outs around the forums also pm him \/

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/member.php?u=19639

My Cars
    98 S54 M3 / 16 Audi SQ5
    Pretty sure just like the main bearing journals, that piece is machined as one with the head and cannot be swapped from another motor. I hate to say this but, you might be needing a new head.

You purchased it from another member on the forums, correct? Was this a motor from his own car? Hard to believe he wouldn't have known about this when he sold it to you..
    Last edited by purduinaM3; 09-17-2016 at 11:12 AM.

My Cars
    98 M3/4/5
    If I can find the piece, the cam journal can then all be remachined together. I would doubt that BMW's tolerances varied very much from engine to engine. I fact they should all be the same coming off the same production line using the same tooling. I would suspect the variances would be + or - .0001-.0003 to maintain accuracy in mass production
    98 Estoril ///M3 4/6
    S54 swap CSL

My Cars
    98 M3/4/5
    found one, having it shipped, in the mean time... i have a head to disassemble completely so i can do the valve stem seals.. they dont appear to be leaking but at 178k miles, might as well do it. Also going to be getting into the VANOS rebuild with Beisan's kits.. expensive to do it all in one shot ($920 is buying everything they have) but you get $450 of that back when you return cores.

still waiting on the rod bearings and bolts..
    Last edited by TH3 Shifty; 09-18-2016 at 05:57 PM.
    98 Estoril ///M3 4/6
    S54 swap CSL

My Cars
    95 M3 - 03 325i - 68 Bug
    Very nice, glad to see more of these coming about! That really blows with the cam journal issue, but these heads are pretty cheap to find now at least.

You're not too far from me being in UT, will have to meet up once I'm in motion..mine is soon to button up finally now that I'm moved back home.

And whatever you can replace while it's out, do it.

Page 1 of 18 1234567891011 ... LastLast