Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast

Thread: Blackknight530i 530i6 -> M5 Conversion Build Thread

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by auaq View Post
    Yes, I'm aware of that. Our cars are Autobahn cruisers and I totally understand the part about the "dead center" thing. However, I'm just not a fan of it to be honest.
    Well - some of that can be dialed out with alignment as some of that is dialed in through OEM suspension specs for these 'luxury sport' cars.
    Play with both front/rear toe and you can get it much 'snappier' or even 'twitchy'. But you want a good alignment guy to support you on that of course... and last thing you want is crappy tramlining.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    We made really great progress today on the swap. Since we had the foresight last weekend to go ahead and pull the S62 out of the e38, we were already a step ahead this weekend, which was great.

We started out by installing the new battery cable that goes from the trunk to the firewall on the passenger side, unlike the I6 cable that crosses over the transmission tunnel and goes to the driver side firewall. The easiest option to have done this would have been to cut both the old cable and the new one and coupled them together under the carpet, but without one of those big machines that does a really good crimp, I'm not sure it would have been the best option. Instead, since we didn't want to pull the center console and driver side seat, we just pulled the rear seats and passenger front seat and folded the carpet up and out of the way, kept the smaller power wire that goes from the distribution panel in the trunk above the battery, to the distribution panel under the passenger side floor and just ran it through the new grommet, saving us the trouble of having to cut a ton of BMW cable tape to pull the old one out. Unfortunately, the battery cable I bought had the BST connector damaged and so I'm not able to hook it up, which means that in an accident, the battery terminal will not explode and disconnect power. I think the Euro models don't have the BST, so I should be ok and might just need to code it out in the SRS module or something. If I feel like it later on, I might try to get a new cable and swap it out, but I think I'll be ok.

While they were working on the battery cable, I replaced the 3 remaining cam position sensors that I hadn't yet replaced, since they were downright easy to do with the engine out of the car.

Next, we moved on to disconnecting everything we could in the engine bay from above, including as many heater hoses, wire connectors, clutch line, A/C lines, fuel lines, etc. Once we got the car in the air, Steve and Jeff started to take out the 540i 3.15 differential and driveshaft, which I wanted to keep assembled together, since they were going to be relocated to the wagon later. Brian and I got to working on getting the brake calipers removed and tied up, rotors off (since I needed to remove the e60 front hubs and install them on the M5 spindles), ABS sensors, and brake wear sensor. Then we pulled the pinch bolts on the strut part of the spindle to make it easier to drop the subframe later, as we could leave the struts attached to the car, and that would keep them from damaging the suspension parts by folding outwards when the body came off the subframe. This worked quite well actually.

We then went to lunch and Brian's friend Rick who stopped by with his 625whp CTS-V was giving a few of us rides, while our friend Geoff drove the rest of us in his e61 535xi to the restaurant. Shortly after leaving, we started to notice some banging on acceleration, but Geoff thought it was just in need of a walnut blast, but when we turned onto the main road and gave it some gas, it sounded like something let go (like a tire blew out and was tearing up the fender), but when we pulled over and looked, I could only see a small amount of fluid around the engine and the tire was fine. It wasn't till Geoff reminded me that it was an XI and that he thought it might be the axle on the passenger side slid out of the diff (only held in with a circlip), which is exactly what it sounded like. We went on to lunch while we waited for the tow truck to arrive.

After getting back, we got to installing the new M5 differential from Clemster, filling it with fluid, packing the input flange with grease, and otherwise getting it prepped.

It was finally time to pull the engine out.

Since we made sure to disconnect everything beforehand, all that was required really was to get any last connections we missed disconnected, use our now "signature" method of using a wheel or two with a piece of plywood/OSB laid on top as a support for holding the subframe, lowering the car down onto that, then disconnecting the 6 subframe bolts. Finally we lifted the car off the subframe with the engine still attached to it.

Then we got out the engine hoist and moved the whole assembly over to the side of the shop in preparation for next weekend's wagon swap. Brian's not happy about having to give up some of his shop space this week, while he needs to work on Brandon's e38 parts, but I hope it ends up being ok.

After dinner, we decided to do as much prep for the S62 install as we could tonight, before getting a "good night's sleep", whatever that is. Steve and Jeff proceeded to remove the M5 steering box from the e38, as well as the heater control valve and steering column lower shaft. I feel terrible for them since they needed to work outside in the sweltering heat and humidity, while Brian and I swapped out the A/C lines, and did the ABS precharge pump relocation to behind the bumper. I didn't end up getting the M5 tray for the driver side airbox, so we had to modify the current one from the I6 to allow the wiring and brake lines to go down into it. It doesn't look pretty, but I'll get the correct tray and we'll fix it later.

In the morning, we're hoping to get the M5 steering box and motor mounts installed on the M5 subframe I got from Clemster and cleaned up, lift the engine and transmission and put them on the subframe, install the all new shift detents and shifter centering springs and hardware on the transmission, and get them installed in the car. We'll then have the cooling system, driveshaft, fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, wiring, front suspension building (all new steering and control arms), and fluids left to do before hopefully starting the car tomorrow.

Ok, going to go to bed now to get that "good night's rest".
    Last edited by blackknight530i; 09-22-2016 at 03:26 PM.

-Paul
    2003 "M5" - Full M5 conversion, AMG C63S 6 piston front calipers, Porsche Panamera 4 piston rear calipers, GC Coilovers,
    Eibach ARBs, UUC Evo3/DSSR, Borla Exhaust w/Muffler Delete, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto, Bi-Xenons, e38 Style 37 M-Pars, e60 Hubs 530i 6-speed swap build thread
    2005 Range Rover 4.6is (M62TU Powered) - 4.6is Engine Swap from X5, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto
    2006 Porsche Cayman S - Soul Performance Competition Headers and Exhaust, H&R Coilovers, 718 Boxster Spyder wheels, Rennline 35mm rear spacers

My Cars
    '17 Durango, '10 Panny
    Subscribing to this thread as well...Keep up the work fellas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    BMWCCA #389756
    e39 Touring SOLD.

My Cars
    98 540 6, SC'ed, 16psi
    Very nice progress guys. Brians wife is a saint!
    98 540i 6, 525 whp, 120 mph 1/4, V3 Si S/C'er @16 psi, W/A I/C, Water/Meth, Supersprint Headers, HJS Cats, 3" Custom Exhaust, UUC Twin Disc, Wavetrac LSD, GC Coil Overs, Monoball TA, AEM FP, Aeromotive FPR, AEM Failsafe AFR/Boost, Style 65's w/275's, M5 Steering Box, Eibach Sways, M3 Shifter, Evans Coolant, 85 Deg Stat, PWM Fan, 10" Subs, B.A. speakers, Grom Aux/BT, Still Rolling as my DD!

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Man, you guys are hardcore! Awesome teamwork.
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun

My Cars
    1992 525
    Making it look easy.
    "Helicopters: 10,0000 pieces of metal fatigue rotating around an oil leak."

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    ha ha and they rock on again! so a crew of 4 this time? having 2 tag teams working in parallel sounds like a great idea.

totally agree Paul with the decision not to try a large-gauge crimp-splice on the battery cable without professional grade tools. good call. that could easily be something that plagued you with little issues at some point in future and be one of those "little thing, huge PITA". too bad about losing the assploding terminal, as it's a nice safety item but as you say maybe you can sort out in future. and yes AFAICT the Euros don't always get the assploding cable...
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    Great work! Sounds like you guys got a lot done. I never realized the positive terminal was on passenger side of the M5. That would make things easier for the touring since the really complex headers is kind of in the way and I had to get creative with wire management. Also, when you say M5 tray, do you mean the belly pan b/c if so, I have one that I don't think I can use on the touring.

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Good progress Paul. looks like you've got these swaps all figured out.
    Now it's time to do a few LS swaps so you can feel some real power!

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Thank you all so much guys! I'm so glad you all are following me along on this endeavor that I've been dreaming about doing for a long while now. I've always wanted an e39 M5, but I just knew that I wouldn't get one as sorted as my 530i was, but now I get the low insurance rates, and the M5 goodness.

Chris, yes Brian's wife is a saint, but she was out of town all weekend, which meant we were on our own and she didn't have to put up with us too much.

S61Dan, we may make it LOOK easy, but I tell you, when we come across some kind of issue, it isn't some small issue. I'll post more about it in the big post coming up.

JC, having the tag team was an immense help. Those guys may not have done swaps like Brian and I, but we had them taking apart the used M5 spindles I got when I bought my engine from New Jersey to put in the 7 in order to get the spindles off. It took them every bit of strength and stamina to get all those control arms and wheel bearings off. The reason I needed to get them all taken apart was I have all brand new suspension parts, I have e60 wheel bearings that need to be transferred over, and the struts are being replaced with M5 spec Konis with M5 springs. Also, using a coupler on the battery cable wasn't really an option I was considering, just saying it would have been an option .

Brandon, a lot done, but a lot was still to go. The tray I'm referring to was the tray under the driver side airbox that has the snorkel opening in it. The brake lines going to the ABS precharge pump go down through that tray to the relocated location near where the horns are.

Jim, this swap was actually unique in that we had to do a lot more work than a 540i -> M5 swap, thanks to the different front subframe, suspension, steering, cooling, wiring, etc. A 540i to M5 conversion is downright easy in comparison, since most of that stuff is shared between them. LS motors are not my style. I'm not a big American car fan as it is, so putting an American V8 into a German luxury car, just doesn't sit well with me. I love the sound of Brandon's, but honestly, I could live with a S62 much easier. I don't need the power like most of you guys, just want something about the feel of the M5.

- - - Updated - - -

Wow, today was a REALLY long day. we got started this morning by finishing the prepwork for getting the engine in. We got the steering box installed on the subframe, with it's lines attached, then installed the Eibach front sway bar, since it would be the best time to do so. It looks really sexy along with the rear one we installed yesterday during the diff installation. Next we did the shifter detents on the transmission, and I did one of the centering springs, but I couldn't get the other snap ring to come out. Unfortunately, it was the one I really needed to do (center spring that handles 5/6 gears). Mine sticks pretty bad and has since I got this transmission for the 7. It doesn't cause a problem moving the shifter over to the right, but rather it seems to stay there, making the shifter not center to the middle properly until it warms up a bit. It's a minor annoyance, so I guess I'll live with it for now.

Next it was time to put the engine on the subframe and get it lined up to go into the car.

We used a new technique to get the subframe lined up with the body this time, by creating our own plumb-bobs that would hang from the middle of the locating pins.

This worked well until we got it to within a couple inches between the subframe and the body, which then required us to move the engine/subframe around to get it to line up better. Brian suggested a really good idea to put the engine brace on and lift the engine a bit, which would allow us to shift the subframe around a bit, and we finally were able to get everything to line up and screw the bolts in. Unfortunately, I had expected the 530i subframe bolts to work on the M5 subframe, but they didn't. Brian had some other bolts lying around that worked well, but it did slow us down a bit. Once we got all that secured, it was time to figure out the steering linkage.

We had already had one heck of a time trying to get the steering linkage to slide up the shaft last night, but this time we realized that it just wasn't going to work the way we had it. We fought with it for about 5 hours, trying to figure out what to do with it. We knew that there was some kind of keying that would only let the shaft go on one way, but no matter how we aligned the splines, it just wouldn't go on very far. We had to pull the subframe off again, but this time we could support the engine while doing it and use the transmission jack to lower it down, so it went a lot smoother. After several hours of trying to get it to work, we were resigned to taking the upper shaft out of the e38 and swapping it. This proved to work great, but required taking apart two lower dashes to get the old one out and the new one in. It took us a lot less time than we originally though, so I guess we should have done it sooner in the day, but oh well.

I was so lucky Asim (Auaq) showed up to help today, because he was willing to do a lot of lifting of the steering box, while we were trying to get the steering shaft in and I couldn't have done it without him. When we finally got the engine fully installed, steering box completely hooked up after putting the swapped steering shaft, which went in easily, we prepped and installed the M5 driveshaft. We first got the driveshaft there, slid it into the diff flange, then the trans output flange, then the CSB, but we noticed that the trans end was sitting back about 1/2-3/4" or so. Memories of my 525it 5-speed swap driveshaft issues came rushing through my mind. We checked the part number of the driveshaft and I told Brian that I had in fact put a M5 giubo and output flange on the transmission, so it should be working fine. I looked at the location of the CSB mounting studs and they were as far forward in the slots as possible, without any preload, so I figured something wasn't right. I suggested that maybe the centering sleeve that goes on the transmission might have gotten dry and wouldn't slide on well, so we were going to coat the inside with silicone spray. We took the driveshaft back off the CSB and noticed that the centering sleeve had folded in on itself and wasn't allowing it to go on the transmission at all hardly. Made it a circle again and sprayed with silicone spray and it went on perfect this time. Got it all bolted up and tightened.

Then we moved on to draining the Royal Purple Synchromax out of the transmission and refilling with Redline D4 ATF, which I've been really happy with in the 530i6 and the wagon. Brian's new transfer pump made quick work of this. We then installed all the subframe heat shields, got the steering lines reinstalled on the steering box with new crush washers, and installed the Evo3 shifter and DSSR to the new transmission.

We called it a night after all this at about 12:30AM. We still have a lot to do, but I expect we'll get this going tomorrow. Still left to do is the Power steering fill and bleed, brake/clutch system full bleed (with software) and slave cylinder holding tool, cooling system install (radiator, expansion tank, connect all heater hoses), wiring connections (minor repinning of a couple wires, while more stuff like the sport button and such will be added later), intake install, etc, then test.
    Last edited by blackknight530i; 09-22-2016 at 03:31 PM.

-Paul
    2003 "M5" - Full M5 conversion, AMG C63S 6 piston front calipers, Porsche Panamera 4 piston rear calipers, GC Coilovers,
    Eibach ARBs, UUC Evo3/DSSR, Borla Exhaust w/Muffler Delete, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto, Bi-Xenons, e38 Style 37 M-Pars, e60 Hubs 530i 6-speed swap build thread
    2005 Range Rover 4.6is (M62TU Powered) - 4.6is Engine Swap from X5, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto
    2006 Porsche Cayman S - Soul Performance Competition Headers and Exhaust, H&R Coilovers, 718 Boxster Spyder wheels, Rennline 35mm rear spacers

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Glad that you finally sorted out the steering column. That thing wasn't easy. Should be a smooth sailing from now on.

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    Sounds like a lot of great team work. Wish I were closer, would have loved to come by and help!

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    wow. "more work than a 540-M5" is right. guess we assume the steering shaft from the 530 is one of those maddening "looks nearly identical but actually isn't the same part" situations?

keep rockin' man! Are you there for the week until this is finished or are you gonna have to call it at some point and leave the rest for next weekend?
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    wow. "more work than a 540-M5" is right. guess we assume the steering shaft from the 530 is one of those maddening "looks nearly identical but actually isn't the same part" situations?

keep rockin' man! Are you there for the week until this is finished or are you gonna have to call it at some point and leave the rest for next weekend?
    Going to hopefully finish today. The upper steering column has the exact same part number as e38 and all e39s, so it should have worked, but who knows.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

-Paul

My Cars
    98 540 6, SC'ed, 16psi
    Man that's frustrating right there. Good luck on the completion.
    98 540i 6, 525 whp, 120 mph 1/4, V3 Si S/C'er @16 psi, W/A I/C, Water/Meth, Supersprint Headers, HJS Cats, 3" Custom Exhaust, UUC Twin Disc, Wavetrac LSD, GC Coil Overs, Monoball TA, AEM FP, Aeromotive FPR, AEM Failsafe AFR/Boost, Style 65's w/275's, M5 Steering Box, Eibach Sways, M3 Shifter, Evans Coolant, 85 Deg Stat, PWM Fan, 10" Subs, B.A. speakers, Grom Aux/BT, Still Rolling as my DD!

My Cars
    98 VW Passat
    Hi Paul, I sent you a PM about the E38 vs E39 and why you ultimately decided to move the S62 to the E39 and part out the E38 etc. I have a couple E38 and an E39 option locally and still deciding which route to go.

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Wow, this day was an interesting one. It started out with me rescheduling my exhaust shop appointment from 9AM to 2:30PM, as I was pretty certain I wasn't going to have the car done by 9AM. Then I came downstairs to find that Brian was not doing well. Apparently a strain related injury that had happened a day or two before, was getting worse and he had to get it dealt with by a doctor. This meant that I was on my own for the day. OMG does everything go a lot slower when it's just one person.

I got to work on hooking up the A/C and power steering lines, putting the radiator in, properly mounting the oil filter housing and power steering reservoir, and installing the air boxes (that bracket being mounted with JB Weld Steel Stick worked very well and is holding strong). This stuff was going nice and smoothly, but was of course taking a while. I began working on the suspension building and got pretty far along, but it's not as easy as you think to install everything from scratch, instead of just replacing one or two parts at a time. I needed to put my e60 hubs on the M5 spindles, attach the guide links and thrust arms onto the subframe, and run the center link and tie rods through. I had preinstalled the struts into the shock towers, to make things a lot more manageable. One problem I was having was torquing down the thrust arms with the Eibach sway bar installed. There was no way I was getting a torque wrench and 22mm socket on it to tighten it, with the bar in the way, so I had to disconnect it from the endlinks and the subframe at the brackets to give myself enough clearance. I raised each spindle up using the support stand and torqued them as best as I could to spec while in "normal" position.

Another problem I ran into was the tie rod ends and setting an initial alignment by sight. Every time I tried to turn the tie rod ends, it would twist the boot, potentially damaging it, so I had to remove the tie rod from the spindle and spin it manually to get it moved a larger amount. I'm not sure how a shop doing the alignment will handle that. I finally got the suspension fully installed around 8:30-9:00 PM, so obviously, I didn't make the exhaust shop appointment that I had to call and cancel. I took a break for a little while around 10 or so and thought I was done for the night, but then decided to try to tackle the wiring. A lot of the wiring is the same as the 540i->M5 stuff, but since the 530i didn't have a starter relay, I noticed that the starter signal goes straight from the EWS to the starter, so I shouldn't have to do anything special for that. There is some additional wiring that I'll need to do for the oil pressure switch, aux pump wiring relocation and new connector, sport button and servotronic. The oil pressure signal just goes from the oil filter housing directly to the cluster, so that shouldn't be too difficult. The sport button will require an additional 2 wires from the auto trans harness going to the cabin, which I think I still have available. Servotronic will require cutting the connector pigtail from the e38 and running 2 wires from that to the Ebox to the DME. I even hooked up the battery to the car and turned the key on to see if everything basically worked. I haven't checked for initial codes yet, but there might be one for the fuel pump relay being the standard type, oil pressure switch, coolant low, etc. I haven't yet tried to turn it over, since it was about midnight or so and with open headers, I'm pretty sure the neighbors wouldn't be happy.

I still need to swap the M5 fuel pump and pressure regulator from the 7 to the 530i, but I'm not sure the best way to do that without dumping fuel all over Brian's driveway or shop floor. I also need to fill it with brake fluid, bleed the clutch, brakes and ABS, and fill the power steering fluid and bleed it. Then it's time to install the M5 cats after swapping my old O2 sensors, get the exhaust done and then an alignment and possibly A/C recharge. By then it should be ready to drive home.

For the exhaust, unless the shop guy thinks it can be done for a reasonable price, I'm just going to have him adapt the M5 cats to the current 530i exhaust rear section. It should get me by until I can do some better planning on how I want the exhaust done, as well as get my M5 rear bumper painted and installed.

Ok, it's 2:15AM. I'm going to bed now.

- - - Updated - - -

Oops, almost forgot some pictures:

-Paul

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Almost there.

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    You are a work horse, Paul. Well done on what was accomplished. It looks like an M5

My Cars
    1998 528i; 2000 540i;
    Unbelievable. Congratulations on persevering through all the roadblocks and challenges.
    gmak: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. A journey with my new-to-me 2000 540i

"Working on a BMW E39 is the best way to run out of time."

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    Nice turn around! Looks great!

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Thanks guys! It's been a rough weekend, but we're nearing the end I think. I just got what I think is the last bit of wiring done, about to be filling coolant and power steering fluid, then possibly firing it. Brian's going to see if he has any brake fluid, but if he doesn't, we'll need to go get some so we can do that part.

-Paul

My Cars
    98 540 6, SC'ed, 16psi
    Again, great work guys!! Looking forward to seeing how it runs.

My Cars
    540i6 S2M5 M2C 135 S52ti
    Quote Originally Posted by blackknight530i View Post
    But yeah, when you can keep these feeling like new with ONLY 211k miles, I'd say it's a different story. Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    100 is the new 50 and so on... Havnt you heard ?!?!? :p

My Cars
    2008 E90 335i
    Wanna trade cars?
    E90 335i
    On3 Performance top mount single turbo kit, Precision 6466 Turbo, ECS Tuning charge pipe, 7in FMIC, JB4 w/ MHD backend flash, Stage 3 fuel pump, Port injection, E85, some wheels that came w the car but are thick

E39 540i (SOLD)
    6 spd swap, "Almost Nardo" Vinyl Wrap, JB Racing LTW flywheel, M5 clutch & control, BC
    Racing
    coilovers, cat back straight pipe, E60 SSK, ZHP shift knob, hard wired aux, Style 32 17", BFG G-force Sport Comp-2 tires, shadow-line trim, reenforced differential bushing, ATE Type 200, Hawk HP Plus pads, intake res delete, 10W40 M1, trans fill 50/50 Redline MT-90 & 75w90NS, solid shifter carrier bushing, pixel fix, red needles

Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast