Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast

Thread: Blackknight530i 530i6 -> M5 Conversion Build Thread

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmrMeUpSnotty View Post
    Oh, I thought the 7's body was in good shape, it is not?
    The shell is decent, but it has bad vibrations (Beach Boys song? lol) and just needs a good bit of work to be made right. No major damage other than some hail damage on deck lid and a crack in the front bumper and it could use a paint job. Oh and I sold the rear bumper.

Just not worth it.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

-Paul
    2003 "M5" - Full M5 conversion, AMG C63S 6 piston front calipers, Porsche Panamera 4 piston rear calipers, GC Coilovers,
    Eibach ARBs, UUC Evo3/DSSR, Borla Exhaust w/Muffler Delete, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto, Bi-Xenons, e38 Style 37 M-Pars, e60 Hubs 530i 6-speed swap build thread
    2005 Range Rover 4.6is (M62TU Powered) - 4.6is Engine Swap from X5, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto
    2006 Porsche Cayman S - Soul Performance Competition Headers and Exhaust, H&R Coilovers, 718 Boxster Spyder wheels, Rennline 35mm rear spacers

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmrMeUpSnotty View Post
    Oh, I thought the 7's body was in good shape, it is not?
    Pay attention to this example children. ^^^ this is what drinking in the morning does to your mind. Can't remember details, lose focus...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ilyasandler View Post
    i am subscribing
    was just doing same research on same stuff you did, want to convert 530 to 540 with 6 speed, and both of your threads are pretty much exactly what i need to know
    Do you have both cars already and the 540 motor is great but body is crap, and the 530 motor is crap or something like that?
    Without extenuating circumstances like Paul's, as I implied before, that's a pretty crap idea.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    Pay attention to this example children. ^^^ this is what drinking in the morning does to your mind. Can't remember details, lose focus...
    Hey, c'mon now! I am massively ADD, and gimme a break, I haven't had a drink since my lunch break.... hic...
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun

My Cars
    08 535xit
    woohooo. more fun at Brian's.

G~
    E61 Mods: Trailer Hitch/wiring, Cargo cover roller fix, Backup camera, H&R springs, ER charge Pipe, Mishimoto catch can, boost gauge, intake scoop, JB+, CSR Rear Spoiler, Full SAT retrofit.
    Coded: legal disclaimer removal in iDrive, auto folding mirrors on lock, turn signals in HUD, fan speed indicator on when in auto, Doors unlock when key removed

E39 Mods: Euro dash conversion, Dinan exhaust, Dinan suspension with Camber kit, 2.81 differential, flappy paddle with double pull M mode activation/deactivation, backup camera, Video playback on Nav computer (iPod Video for video storage and playback), stereo video playback through DSP, MKIV computer, RPA Tire Pressure retrofit, Intravee II iPod integration, Euro armrest, HUD, Parrot BT, voice recognition module, trailer hitch/wiring, rear mounted 10" subwoofer with amplifier, lighted interior door handles, Evans coolant.

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Quote Originally Posted by Reefin Dude View Post
    woohooo. more fun at Brian's.

G~
    Yup! You coming by this weekend to lend a hand?

-Paul
    2003 "M5" - Full M5 conversion, AMG C63S 6 piston front calipers, Porsche Panamera 4 piston rear calipers, GC Coilovers,
    Eibach ARBs, UUC Evo3/DSSR, Borla Exhaust w/Muffler Delete, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto, Bi-Xenons, e38 Style 37 M-Pars, e60 Hubs 530i 6-speed swap build thread
    2005 Range Rover 4.6is (M62TU Powered) - 4.6is Engine Swap from X5, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto
    2006 Porsche Cayman S - Soul Performance Competition Headers and Exhaust, H&R Coilovers, 718 Boxster Spyder wheels, Rennline 35mm rear spacers

My Cars
    08 535xit
    hope to! just checking with the boss' running schedule and weather.

do you still want the diff bushings?

G~
    E61 Mods: Trailer Hitch/wiring, Cargo cover roller fix, Backup camera, H&R springs, ER charge Pipe, Mishimoto catch can, boost gauge, intake scoop, JB+, CSR Rear Spoiler, Full SAT retrofit.
    Coded: legal disclaimer removal in iDrive, auto folding mirrors on lock, turn signals in HUD, fan speed indicator on when in auto, Doors unlock when key removed

E39 Mods: Euro dash conversion, Dinan exhaust, Dinan suspension with Camber kit, 2.81 differential, flappy paddle with double pull M mode activation/deactivation, backup camera, Video playback on Nav computer (iPod Video for video storage and playback), stereo video playback through DSP, MKIV computer, RPA Tire Pressure retrofit, Intravee II iPod integration, Euro armrest, HUD, Parrot BT, voice recognition module, trailer hitch/wiring, rear mounted 10" subwoofer with amplifier, lighted interior door handles, Evans coolant.

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    hope to! just checking with the boss' running schedule and weather.

do you still want the diff bushings?

G~
    Oh yeah, I would like the bushings. I forgot about them. I need subframe bushings pretty bad and I'm hoping to change the rear shocks on the wagon before next weekend as they are making a horrible racket over bumps.

-Paul

My Cars
    08 535xit
    i will bring them.

just an FYI, i have a rear ball joint tool if needed.

G~

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    i will bring them.

just an FYI, i have a rear ball joint tool if needed.

G~
    Nice. Not planning on doing the ball joints and control arms on the wagon right away, but good to know you have it. You don't have a subframe bushing tool, do you?

-Paul

My Cars
    08 535xit
    nope, rented it from Jason.

G~

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Do you need the wagon subframe bushing tool or the sedan version?

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Quote Originally Posted by auaq View Post
    Do you need the wagon subframe bushing tool or the sedan version?
    Mainly wagon, but I may buy the Koch tool that can do both. $309 and haven't decided whether or not to yet. I want to do the sedan and the wagon and possibly put sedan fronts on the wagon. Brian wants to use it for his M5 as well as to do M5 fronts on his wagon so he can put traction bars on it. We may split the cost of it and rent it out.

-Paul

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    I have the sedan version subframe bushing tool and I can lend it to you. And just fyi, I also have the ball joint tool. No diff bushing tool as I borrowed it from Igor (Champaign777).

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    I have the sedan version subframe bushing tool and I can lend it to you. And just fyi, I also have the ball joint tool. No diff bushing tool as I borrowed it from Igor (Champaign777).
    Well, the ball joints will be later, so I can wait on that tool. I may rent the diff bushing tool from Igor, but we will see.

-Paul

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    10-4

My Cars
    528iT
    Subscribed. Going to be quite interesting to say the least. How's the difference going from a rack to steering box?

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Quote Originally Posted by itsbrokeagain View Post
    Subscribed. Going to be quite interesting to say the least. How's the difference going from a rack to steering box?
    Shouldn't be that noticeable. I've driven a few M5s and it feels pretty much the same, though the rack has a slight edge over the box.

-Paul

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Both the M5 gearbox and the I6 steering rack are pretty close in how quickly they steer. However, because the I6 racks are variable ratio there's a bit of dead center when going straight whereas the M5 just turns with the slightest steering effort. Past the dead center then both feel the same in my view.

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    WHAT?!? Asim yer saying maybe the rack feels MORE dead than the box!?!? Oh no you dunnit now. all the moms basementers who have never driven both (or maybe any) cars are gonna form a lynch mob man..! Don't you know that everybody knows the rack is amazingly awesome & I6 handles like an F1 car, while the box / V8 car sucks and handles like a garbage truck ?! How dare you suggest both cars handle comparably?!
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    I6 racks turn much quicker just around the 4 o'clock position if turning right and similarly at 8 o'clock position when turning left. This has been my observation for quite some time. I've test driven a 528i before and it felt the same way. I've driven Paul's 530i a while back when it was still an automatic and felt the same way. I only meant to say that there's a slight laziness feel to it when going straight. It feels like I'm turning the steering wheel maybe 2-3* to change lanes in my 530i while M5 needs half of that. The M5 gearbox really feels like the rack and pinion of our I6 cars but with no dead center feel at all. Granted, my suspension is all new now and has coilovers, so obviously it's in a different league, but even back when it was all stock, I was still surprised how good the M5 gearbox was and it still is.

- - - Updated - - -

I have not driven a 540i yet with it's slower turning ratio gearbox, so I have no way to compare how it feels to the M5 box and the I6 racks.

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    I6 racks turn much quicker just around the 4 o'clock position if turning right and similarly at 8 o'clock position when turning left. This has been my observation for quite some time. I've test driven a 528i before and it felt the same way. I've driven Paul's 530i a while back when it was still an automatic and felt the same way. I only meant to say that there's a slight laziness feel to it when going straight. It feels like I'm turning the steering wheel maybe 2-3* to change lanes in my 530i while M5 needs half of that. The M5 gearbox really feels like the rack and pinion of our I6 cars but with no dead center feel at all. Granted, my suspension is all new now and has coilovers, so obviously it's in a different league, but even back when it was all stock, I was still surprised how good the M5 gearbox was and it still is.
    Um, if there's any "dead" area in the rack, it's because it should be there, because anyone who's cruising the interstate or the Autobahn doesn't want to have to make slight adjustments every second or so because of a pebble in the road. My only experience in long term ownership of a steering box in a car has been my 7, which hasn't had a good center position at all and requires constant 2-3* adjustments to keep it in its own lane on the highway, but I think that's due to the relocated steering box mounts we did to put the M5 box in it not being perfect. I'm expecting that to be much better once I get the box in the 5, especially with brand new steering and suspension.

-Paul

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Yes, I'm aware of that. Our cars are Autobahn cruisers and I totally understand the part about the "dead center" thing. However, I'm just not a fan of it to be honest.

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Yes, I'm aware of that. Our cars are Autobahn cruisers and I totally understand the part about the "dead center" thing. However, I'm just not a fan of it to be honest.
    LOL, fan or not, it's supposed to be there.

-Paul

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Wish I could replace it with something that doesn't do that. Well, anyways ... carry on.

My Cars
    2008 E90 335i
    "carry on"
    E90 335i
    On3 Performance top mount single turbo kit, Precision 6466 Turbo, ECS Tuning charge pipe, 7in FMIC, JB4 w/ MHD backend flash, Stage 3 fuel pump, Port injection, E85, some wheels that came w the car but are thick

E39 540i (SOLD)
    6 spd swap, "Almost Nardo" Vinyl Wrap, JB Racing LTW flywheel, M5 clutch & control, BC
    Racing
    coilovers, cat back straight pipe, E60 SSK, ZHP shift knob, hard wired aux, Style 32 17", BFG G-force Sport Comp-2 tires, shadow-line trim, reenforced differential bushing, ATE Type 200, Hawk HP Plus pads, intake res delete, 10W40 M1, trans fill 50/50 Redline MT-90 & 75w90NS, solid shifter carrier bushing, pixel fix, red needles

Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast