Thread: Anyone buy a salvage car and bring it to Mass ?

My Cars
    bmw 330

Anyone buy a salvage car and bring it to Mass ?

I am buying an 2001 BMW 330 from another state. It has a salvage title. It has the accident report (was very minor, no airbags deployed, was bumper, radiator, and steering rack only - guy went over a curb), also has the insurance report, and all parts were purchased new with receipts. The car has tons of mods, that are unrelated to the accident.

* Anyone title a car with a salvage title from another state? How did the process go for you? Any advice for me?
    * What are the risks? Wondering if the salvage inspectors give me a hard time about the aftermarket stuff, even though it's not related to the damaged/repaired parts on the car.

I've read the registry website over and over but it doesn't really tell my odds for a smooth process -- Nor does it give me tips to make it easy and smooth. Should I bring donuts and coffee to the inspectors ??

Any advice on getting the car titled would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    BryDog

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Haven't done it. But I have done an out of state gray market title. Cops are the ones doing the inspection for that so I assume this is the same?

These inspections are entirely VIN and major component oriented to be sure the VIN is really what it's supposed to be and that you haven't done some sneaky biz to use a salvage title for a different stolen vehicle. Not their business at all really to be concerned about other stuff.

The "safety" inspections are a whole different story and for newer modded cars are a nightmare but in this case you should be ok w 2001 as it's outside the 15yrs.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    bmw 330
    Yes, I believe I will be ok. Thanks for your offering your thoughts. The mods aren't incredibly obvious, so perhaps ordinary cops won't even notice or question.

My Cars
    2004 BMW 330xi
    Quote Originally Posted by BryDog View Post
    Yes, I believe I will be ok. Thanks for your offering your thoughts. The mods aren't incredibly obvious, so perhaps ordinary cops won't even notice or question.

Out of state salvage title... ouch.. good luck pal. Massachusetts inspectors will want every receipt for parts on the insurance appraisal and it has to be dealer or junk yard. really hard to deal salvage cars in this state. But seeing you have a 2001... well if it was given a salvage title after 10 years than you can go and straight register at dmv with salvage title and they give you a clean one.

keep us posted

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by ake53 View Post
    well if it was given a salvage title after 10 years than you can go and straight register at dmv with salvage title and they give you a clean one.

keep us posted
    Is that true? So it's like the 15Y emissions cut off? That's GTK.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    bmw 330
    It has a north carolina salvage title, issued earlier this year. Car is mint. I'll get it in a few weeks and try to title and register. Will report back my findings as I go.

* I believe I present the title at the registry, pay the tax, get a salvage title pending the salvage inspection. I'm still reading up on all this here:
    https://secure.rmv.state.ma.us/Polic...206.1472756177
    Last edited by BryDog; 09-06-2016 at 12:54 PM.

My Cars
    2004 BMW 330xi
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    Is that true? So it's like the 15Y emissions cut off? That's GTK.
    getting a clean title is hit or miss... most of the time its reconstructed.

here's the wording from the website: Passenger vehicles ten (10) or more model years old at the date of the event which caused the vehicle to be declared a total loss are exempt from the Salvage Title process. These vehicles will carry a Reconstructed Prior Salvage brand.

- - - Updated - - -

Here you go pal,

If i was you, i'd try to register it with out inspection first... depending who's working. You may get lucky.
    https://www.massrmv.com/TitleSalvage...ageTitles.aspx

pics of car? What city are you in?

It has a north carolina salvage title, issued earlier this year. Car is mint. I'll get it in a few weeks and try to title and register. Will report back my findings as I go.

* I believe I present the title at the registry, pay the tax, get a salvage title pending the salvage inspection. I'm still reading up on all this here:

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by ake53 View Post
    If i was you, i'd try to register it with out inspection first... depending who's working. You may get lucky.
    You mean he should just roll in and play dumb first? Probably some merit in giving that a shot. Can't hurt. I've found the knowledge level and skills and attitude at the counters to vary widely. Usually there's 1-2 people with brains on duty and everybody else is axing them what to do w/ the weirdo cases. My first lady wanted to tell me to go away I couldn't even register the car, talked her out of that, and then from another I got the idea I mighta been able to sneak by w/o the VIN inspection if I had the right person at the right time, but the on-duty-guru chimed in and said "he has to take form 93984573B and....blah blah blah... and then come back". So I had to get it done.

The grey market inspection is well easier. You just find a LEO of your choice - state or local - get them to come to the car, and then get them to sign a form saying "I looked at the VIN and it says this..." No special site to go to or anything.

You'd think it'd be the same approach because theoretically both could be abused in the same way, and consist of roughly the same activities, but I guess the gray market is such a rare deal for them they let it be an easier process.

I had no idea it was such a huge deal here. Makes sense since they cram it violently in our b-holes for safety inspections that they would also make Salvage inspections a PITA.

I bet the LEO's who do the salvage inspections hate catching that duty though. "Here I went through my cop training and now all I get to do is crawl around cars peering at VIN's and engine block serial numbers."
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    bmw 330
    Actually, now that I look at it, the title is "Salvage Reconstructed" in North Carolina. I'm not applying for a Mass salvage, I'm only trying to title an existing salvage-repaired. I think I might be good to go.

Thanks for the advice - I'm going to go to the registry and play dumb, see if they straight-up give me a title and allow to register.

Will report back.
    BryDog

- - - Updated - - -

by the way, this is really confusing !

From the Registry Website: https://www.massrmv.com/TitleSalvage...ageTitles.aspx
    All out-of-state salvage vehicles, must pass a Salvage Inspection before they can be registered or titled.

From the Policy Details page: https://secure.rmv.state.ma.us/Polic...562.1472759883
    All
    out-of-state salvage vehicles, must have a title before the Salvage Inspection.

Am I reading this right ? "You must pass inspection to get a title. You must have a title to get the inspection."

wtf ??

- - - Updated - - -

Also, the form says I have two options - 1) I am the builder or 2) it was stolen. I am neither the builder nor was it stolen.
    http://www.massrmv.com/rmv/forms/20541.pdf

Confused.
    Last edited by BryDog; 09-06-2016 at 04:27 PM.

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Read it this way:

From the Registry Website: https://www.massrmv.com/TitleSalvage...ageTitles.aspx
    All out-of-state salvage vehicles, must pass a Salvage Inspection before they can be registered or titled
    in Massachusetts.

From the Policy Details page: https://secure.rmv.state.ma.us/Polic...562.1472759883
    All
    out-of-state salvage vehicles, must have a
    valid out-of-state title before the Salvage Inspection.

Am I reading this right ? "You must pass inspection to get a title. You must have a title to get the inspection."

Also, the form says I have two options - 1) I am the builder or 2) it was stolen. I am neither the builder nor was it stolen.
    http://www.massrmv.com/rmv/forms/20541.pdf

Confused.
    God that is a clusterfork PITA. So few of those parts they list are even VIN stamped anyway! Imagine you got those parts from a junkyard and you were trying to figure out what car they got them from?

This looks like one of those 'Bureaucrat's ivory tower idea of how the auto parts industry works but is completely divergent from reality" things.

But I think you choose the first one. Under the viewpoint that you have "caused to be restored" through purchasing this car from someone out of state.

"I have reconstructed or restored, or caused to be reconstructed or restored, the total loss salvage motorvehicle to its operating condition which existed prior to the event which caused the salvage title to issueunder M.G.L. Chapter 90D, Section 20, or the law of another state"
    However I would not fill this out in advance either way. If I was in your shoes I would
    1. Try to register the thing first and play dumb
    2. Then if they make you fill this form out, bring it to the counter and say "golly gee helpful RMV person, what do I put for this part here, when I have neither fixed it nor had it stolen?" (I bet they say "just tick the first one and don't sweat it")

Also, potentially good news, it does say:

Vehicles are selected at random for inspection. We inspect the selected vehicle for its identity and record all major component parts replaced, eitherby number or receipt. This is to deter fraud and the sale of stolen parts.
    So indeed maybe you just show up and maybe they just go "yeah yeah no problem here ya go..."
    But why do you get selected? Lets read on....

The selection of vehicles to undergosaid major component part inspection shall be on a random basis, in accordancewith criteria and procedures established by the registrar by regulation,which may be changed from time to time as the registrar deems necessary.The inspector may examine the identification number of each part thathas been repaired or replaced as a part of the rebuilding process in additionto the vehicle identification number, and may compare said numbers to thevehicle identification numbers and identification numbers of parts enteredinto any state, regional, or national computer network that records the identificationnumbers of stolen motor vehicles and the identification numbers ofstolen parts.
    But note this fun little clause...

Inspections by authorities in other states will not be honored in Massachusetts unless a prior agreement between the other state and Massachusetts exists. All Salvaged Titles vehicles must be inspected in Massachusetts if they are to be registered in Massachusetts. New York Salvage Certificates (Form907A) are not accepted.
    Chances of NC having a "prior agreement?" Honestly overall I bet nobody on Beacon Hill gives 2 craps about bilateral salvage agreement so there are probably zero states that qualify...

With luck the 'random selection' thing means 'we'll do the quick VIN confirmation but won't randomly select you for the full "what car VIN did this door come from!!!!!" IRS Audit And Rectal Probe.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    bmw 330
    Went to the registry today. No inspection required. I didn't ask any questions. I shut up and paid -- got my plates and I am good to go!

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Nice. So much for all the fuss!
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Had a similar issue with the M3/4/5 I just bought- guy who I bought it from in MA had a clean title. I called Esurance to add it to my policy the day after I bought it, and they told me the car had been a salvage title in the past and it was a no go, and that I could pull the Carfax and see if it stated otherwise. Pulled the Carfax (lesson learned here, do it before) and it showed the car had been issued a salvage title in NH in 2011. Guessing that they have similar laws to MA with the salvage titles, so someone probably repaired the car, "lost" the title, and applied for a new one, which got them a clear title since the car was over 10 years old at that point.

The guy I bought the car from used Progressive, who either doesn't run the VIN in the same way as Esurance, or doesn't care, and issued him a policy without saying anything. I ended up having to insure the car that way as well. Kind of scary how easily the system can be bypassed.

My Cars
    bmw 330
    What you experienced is called title washing.

My situation is different. I am not getting a clear title, I will get a salvage repairable title. What I was lamenting was the inspection process to get the title and registration. That is what I didn't have to do.

My Cars
    1997 328i
    What you experienced is called title washing.

My situation is different. I am not getting a clear title, I will get a salvage repairable title. What I was lamenting was the inspection process to get the title and registration. That is what I didn't have to do.
    Yup, not saying you were going through the same thing, just a route that some people take after they get the salvage vehicle registered.

My Cars
    bmw 330
    Right on - gotcha.

So I go for an inspection on Monday. I will post back once that happens. Hoping to get a sticker ! The car is awesome.

My Cars
    bmw 330
    got my inspection today - no fuss - just got the sticker and drove off

wahoo