Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Massa retiring from F1

My Cars
    TBD

Massa retiring from F1

I read a week or so ago that Button and Perez were sighted at Williams getting a seat fitment.

The silly season has started.

My Cars
    '96 Ranger, '83 RX7 GSL
    After the last race, I thought to myself "well he's done after this year." Sounds like he is going out on his own terms, which is good. Maybe we'll see him running sports cars some time soon.

My Cars
    TBD
    I always thought he was a good racer but maybe with no real passion left. He's a nice guy and I wish him well whatever he chooses to do. 2008 was a wicked denial for him. he was half a lap away from becoming a WDC. So close.

Let hope that driver's move around and VanDoorne can get a seat alongside Alonso.

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    I hope he goes to WEC.

My Cars
    i3 + MV Agusta Brutale
    Quote Originally Posted by RidgeBack View Post

I read a week or so ago that Button and Perez were sighted at Williams getting a seat fitment.

The silly season has started.
    Button makes no sense IMO. Perez wouldn't be my choice, but he is undoubtedly good and as a bonus for Williams AFAIK he brings in a good chunk of money too.

- - - Updated - - -

I always thought he was a good racer but maybe with no real passion left. He's a nice guy and I wish him well whatever he chooses to do. 2008 was a wicked denial for him. he was half a lap away from becoming a WDC. So close.

Let hope that driver's move around and VanDoorne can get a seat alongside Alonso.
    If Piquet Jr. and Briatore had not cheated in Singapore, Massa would've been WDC.
    BMWs are fun in the snow too...

My Cars
    TBD
    Quote Originally Posted by MagneZium View Post
    Button makes no sense IMO. Perez wouldn't be my choice, but he is undoubtedly good and as a bonus for Williams AFAIK he brings in a good chunk of money too.

- - - Updated - - -

If Piquet Jr. and Briatore had not cheated in Singapore, Massa would've been WDC.
    To this day I'm shocked that Alonso and Renault were allowed to keep their points after that stunt.

Remember that next year is a "reset" year due to the rule changes. If Williams thinks they have a good car it wouldn't be the worst to have an ex-WDC driving. Also Williams is an inherently English team so having Button as a driver could bring a lot of sponsors.

But, like you say, Perez wouldn't be a bad choice. Although I really don't think Williams will beat Force India this year - but next year.... who knows.

My Cars
    i3 + MV Agusta Brutale
    To this day I'm shocked that Alonso and Renault were allowed to keep their points after that stunt.

Remember that next year is a "reset" year due to the rule changes. If Williams thinks they have a good car it wouldn't be the worst to have an ex-WDC driving. Also Williams is an inherently English team so having Button as a driver could bring a lot of sponsors.

But, like you say, Perez wouldn't be a bad choice. Although I really don't think Williams will beat Force India this year - but next year.... who knows.
    The title of ex-WDC doesn't always mean that much. Usually sure, but I'd question how much Button had to do with the Brawn being absolutely dominant. More importantly I haven't been at all convinced with his performances since then. And then there's the issue of so many great younger drivers on offer.

My Cars
    TBD
    The title of ex-WDC doesn't always mean that much. Usually sure, but I'd question how much Button had to do with the Brawn being absolutely dominant. More importantly I haven't been at all convinced with his performances since then. And then there's the issue of so many great younger drivers on offer.
    But he's a public favorite - especially for an English team - WDC credentials not withstanding. Also to note is that he didn't perform that badly against Hamilton. I think he's going to go down in history (much like Rosberg) as a non-entity, but I feel that would be a disservice to both Button and Rosberg.

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Is Alonso staying at Mclaren next year? I have a feeling that Honda have reached to a point where they and the Mclaren boys might come as a strong contender next year, hopefully!

My Cars
    TBD
    Quote Originally Posted by auaq View Post
    Is Alonso staying at Mclaren next year? I have a feeling that Honda have reached to a point where they and the Mclaren boys might come as a strong contender next year, hopefully!
    The PU rules stay pretty much the same for next year. The chassis rules are completely different. Newey is working on the 2017 RBR so there's hope for them. Alison left Ferrari at an inopportune time for development of the 17 car. Merc have the budget to do things right - so minimal worries there. McLaren I don't really know. Their chassis this year has proved better than their PU but who knows about next year.

to be honest, I'm bored with F1 this year already. Just from watching the FP events I know who's going to be leading/winning the race, as it's been for the past few years. So I'm ready for the chassis rules to be reset and for the engine/PU tokens to be dropped - thus allowing everyone to catch up development wise.

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Yes, I too have missed a couple of races this year.

I'm also looking forward to wider tyres both front and in the rears.

My Cars
    17 Raptor|05 GTO|00 P38
    F1 2016 has been killing me. One disappointment after another.

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    When there's dominance, it really gets boring. I guess the only next exciting to watch is inter team rivalry.

My Cars
    i3 + MV Agusta Brutale
    But he's a public favorite - especially for an English team - WDC credentials not withstanding. Also to note is that he didn't perform that badly against Hamilton. I think he's going to go down in history (much like Rosberg) as a non-entity, but I feel that would be a disservice to both Button and Rosberg.
    Sure, I like him too. But that's hardly the basis for driver selection.

And Button will never be a non-entity: he has achieved a lot in a very long career, and has the respect of other drivers too for sure.

My Cars
    F150, Suburban, M3

Massa retiring from F1

Sure, I like him too. But that's hardly the basis for driver selection.

And Button will never be a non-entity: he has achieved a lot in a very long career, and has the respect of other drivers too for sure.
    Button is the best midfield driver. He won his championship with a dominant car and barely weaker teammate. Anyone in those Brawn cars would have won. Not unlike the Merc domination now. Put any two drivers in the Merc, they dominate and win championships.

Sent from my Tapatalk using Elva164's mom
    Last edited by badmonkey; 09-02-2016 at 01:42 PM.

"It's not the people who vote that count, it's the people who count the votes."
    -DNC

My Cars
    i3 + MV Agusta Brutale
    Quote Originally Posted by badmonkey View Post
    Button is the best midfield driver. He won his championship with a dominant car and barely weaker teammate. Not unlike the Merc domination now. Put any two drivers in the Merc, they dominate and win championships.
    True that.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    "Put any two drivers in the Merc, they dominate and win championships." Not if you ask the Hamster. Best wishes to Massa!

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    17 Raptor|05 GTO|00 P38
    When there's dominance, it really gets boring.
    That's only part of the story.

My Cars
    F150, Suburban, M3
    Button stepping down in 2017. About time the elderly midfield drivers step aside.

"It's not the people who vote that count, it's the people who count the votes."
    -DNC

My Cars
    TBD
    Quote Originally Posted by badmonkey View Post
    Button stepping down in 2017. About time the elderly midfield drivers step aside.

And Perez re-signed with FI.

Williams and McLaren both have seats open. McLaren is going to be filled by Stoffel... but Williams???? any guesses

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Alonso is staying at McLaren. So it's him and Vandoorne. Don't know who going to take Massa's spot. Who's the reserve drive driver at Williams?

My Cars
    TBD
    Alonso is staying at McLaren. So it's him and Vandoorne. Don't know who going to take Massa's spot. Who's the reserve drive driver at Williams?
    Paul DiResta - but he's not going get another chance at F1.

My Cars
    '94 MX-6
    And Perez re-signed with FI.

Williams and McLaren both have seats open. McLaren is going to be filled by Stoffel... but Williams???? any guesses
    1. Susie Wolff!
    2. ???
    3. Profit!
    Current: '94 MX-6 V6/5 • '72 240Z • '10 Mazda5
    Past: '02 330i/5 • '85 RX-7 GSL-SE • '95 540i/6'95 525i/5'86 635CSi/5 • '88 JZA70 • '86 4K quattro • '85 RX-7 S
    Wish list: Type 44 • Manta • Pre-'85 CGT • 405 Mi16 • SVX • W123 Coupe

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Meh ....

My Cars
    TBD
    Since it's silly season, you think STR will drop Kvyat in order to bring in Gasly?

Or is Palmer going to be on the outs at Renault and Renault (French team) looking to poach Gasly (French driver)?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast