Thread: 1990 BMW 535i power window problem - fixed

My Cars
    1990 BMW 535i/5 E34

1990 BMW 535i power window problem - fixed

Hello,

I used to live in Vegas and moved to Miami about a month ago, now a few weeks after I got here all my power windows stopped working exept the driver's one. I try them every day and one day I got the rear driver side one to work but next day it stopped working again like the other 3, every time I hit the switch I hear the doors click but the motors won't respond and I know they are all good. A couple of months before moving I spilled lemonade on the switches but after I cleaned it all up they worked without a problem until like a week ago. So if it was not that could it be the horrible humidity here?
    My horn also stopped working like a week and half ago, I checked the fuse box and the one fuse for the Windows is fine as well as the horn one.

Any help will be much appretiated.

When you activate the switch for the window, you're sure you hear a click in the corresponding door? Since you spilled a sugary drink on your switches you've probably got buildup or some residue causing bad contact. Either that or the switch itself is damaged. Pop the switch out and take a look at it. I'm not a 100% sure but I bet the connectors and switches are identical. Pull the driver switch (since you know it works) and plug it into one of the other 3 that does not to test.
    1995 540i/6
    2017 Hellcat Charger

My Cars
    1990 BMW 535i/5 E34
    I will check on that soon and report back, thank you.

My Cars
    1990 BMW 535i/5 E34
    I finally got another switch to test it out and it didn't make a difference... Does anyone have a suggestion as to what I can do next? Sorry it took me forever to get around to do this.. Thanks in advance..

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    If you are hearing action(clicking) in the door when calling for the window to operate that tells me the switches are probably okay.
    Have you tried a good bash on the door while holding the switch? The motors like to get stuck, the brushes I think, when not used often enough.
    If that works run them up and down a few times and use them more frequently.
    If not you may need to replace the motors.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    1990 BMW 535i/5 E34
    Front passenger motor was replaced not too long ago and the one behind hasn't been replaced but it wasn't showing signs of any problems. The weird thing is that they both stopped working at the same time.. :/

My Cars
    1990 BMW 535i/5 E34
    I remember about a year ago my shit nephew slammed my passenger's door real hard and my window stopped working for like a day, I wonder if this has to do with that ...

My Cars
    1990 BMW 535i/5 E34
    Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    If you are hearing action(clicking) in the door when calling for the window to operate that tells me the switches are probably okay.
    Have you tried a good bash on the door while holding the switch? The motors like to get stuck, the brushes I think, when not used often enough.
    If that works run them up and down a few times and use them more frequently.
    If not you may need to replace the motors.
    I am actually surprised it worked on both doors lol.. Thanks, I am going to use them more often now so it doesn't happen again.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by ikaru View Post
    I am actually surprised it worked on both doors lol.. Thanks, I am going to use them more often now so it doesn't happen again.
    Since I posted this a week ago and you've posted an ad for window motors wanted I figured they(motors) were dead. Glad it worked. Where shall I send the invoice?

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    1990 BMW 535i/5 E34
    Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    Since I posted this a week ago and you've posted an ad for window motors wanted I figured they(motors) were dead. Glad it worked. Where shall I send the invoice?
    Haha! Yea I posted that because my rear left window motor and regulator are screwed up (different problem) so now that the other side works after I beat the crap out of it I have to fix that one. Thanks again!