Thread: 2016 Italian GP @ Monza

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird

2016 Italian GP @ Monza

Yaa! Another great high speed track that I enjoy watching cars going around. If I'm not mistaken this track has the highest WOT percentage than any other tracks around the world. I think the Montreal circuit comes in second.

Anyways, bring on the 350+ kmh!

Drivers Championship Points
    Lewis Hamilton 232
    Nico Rosberg 223
    Daniel Ricciardo 151
    Sebastian Vettel 128
    Kimi Raikkonen 124
    Max Verstappen 115
    Valtteri Bottas 62
    Sergio Perez 58
    Nico Hulkenberg 45
    Felipe Massa 39
    Fernando Alonso 30
    Carlos Sainz 30
    Romain Grosjean 28
    Daniil Kvyat 23
    Jenson Button 17
    Kevin Magnussen 6
    Pascal Wehrlein 1
    Stoffel Vandoorne 1
    Estaban Gutierrez 0
    Jolyon Palmer 0
    Marcus Ericsson 0
    Felipe Nasr 0
    Ryo Haryanto 0
    Estaban Ocon 0

Constructors Championship Points
    Mercedes 455
    RBR 247
    Ferrari 252
    Force India 103
    Williams 101
    Mclaren 48
    Toro Rosso 45
    Haas 28
    Renault 6
    MRT 1
    Sauber 0

My Cars
    '94 MX-6
    I think Louie is a shoo-in for this one, unfortunately.

The 2017 reg shakeup can't come soon enough.

Looking forward to more Max-Kimi fireworks.

Hopefully the Williams can get ahead of the FIs. Massa is seriously just phoning it in at this point.
    Current: '94 MX-6 V6/5 • '72 240Z • '10 Mazda5
    Past: '02 330i/5 • '85 RX-7 GSL-SE • '95 540i/6'95 525i/5'86 635CSi/5 • '88 JZA70 • '86 4K quattro • '85 RX-7 S
    Wish list: Type 44 • Manta • Pre-'85 CGT • 405 Mi16 • SVX • W123 Coupe

My Cars
    F150, Suburban, M3

2016 Italian GP @ Monza

Massa announces retirement at end of 2016 season.

Finally.

Sent from my Tapatalk using Elva164's mom
    Last edited by badmonkey; 09-01-2016 at 09:22 AM.

"It's not the people who vote that count, it's the people who count the votes."
    -DNC

My Cars
    17 X5M, 19 X3, 03 C4S
    He is a good guy though. I'm still pissed that Timo stayed out on drys in 08 though...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan M3 View Post
    Crime is crime. So what if I have a badge, gun, taser, pepper spray, and a propensity for violating individual's rights?
    2017 X5 ///M
    2019 X3 XDrive 30i
    2003 C4S

My Cars
    '96 Ranger, '83 RX7 GSL
    Quote Originally Posted by m3fuz View Post
    He is a good guy though. I'm still pissed that Timo stayed out on drys in 08 though...
    same here
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlJWwuV9eBw

My Cars
    TBD
    yeah, I just mentioned that in the other thread harsh.

looking forward to seeing the low downforce setups for this weekend and especially to see what Ferrari have with regards to the tokens they just spent on their PU. Because they're going to need a bump to catch RBR. (pun not intended)

I hope they have a good head steward on duty too. Not some yes man.

My Cars
    i3 + MV Agusta Brutale
    Now Verstappen is being a maximum douchebag, comparing himself to football (soccer) stars and saying he will not change a thing in his driving.

He says that he is not just going to let someone by on the straight, and that it's good that people can't just go by on DRS...WTF?

He says that he didn't get any penalties so what he did was right.

So now the questions of whether Max is following after his wife-beater dad is answered. I've been very surprised before on how aggressive and elbows out many Dutch people are, I've come to the conclusion that it's some kind of cultural thing over there. My theory is that they haven't had much differentiation, much class differences, not much to have advantages over each other with, and so success has been made by screwing people over and being aggressive.
    BMWs are fun in the snow too...

My Cars
    i3 + MV Agusta Brutale
    Update: Now Charlie Whiting has gone to Red Bull's Team Manager and Verstappen, showed replays of the incidents (not the 1st corner AFAIK) and said that such driving will not be allowed in the future.

My Cars
    TBD
    Basically Charlie said to max: Any more shenanigans like the Kemmel straight (not choosing a defensive line until after the person behind you has moved to overtake) and you'll be shown the black and white flag (unsportsmanlike behavior) and then. I'm of the opinion that the 2 moves (outbraking kimi when they both run off the track and the Kemmel straight block) should have been investigated during the race. Forcing Kimi to give the position back was absolute BS because Max didn't make the corner either. If the stewards had done their job the Kemmel straight block wouldn't have occurred.

Max is good for the sport but much like Hamilton he brings fans new to the sport who have zero clue about F1. Some of the tweets that Crofty reads out make me want to shove a sharp stick in my eye.

Back to the FP sessions today. (tires are M, S, and SS)

Merc on the S (probably the race tire if you're doing 2 stops although it'll be tight) was 1 second quicker than anyone else (Ferrari and RBR)
    Merc on the SS were .5 seconds quicker than anyone else.

Ferrari on the SS were .4 second ahead of RBR
    Ferrari on the S were .3 seconds ahead of RBR

Not sure how accurate the Ferrari to RBR results are because Vettel then Ricciardo then Kimi then Max. I have a feeling RBR were running a couple of extra kilos of fuel because they were damn quick at Spa.

Ferrari did bring the upgraded PU but in FP1 they didn't run much because they didn't want to put the mileage on the engines. Possibly fears about reliability with this being their home race.

McLaren were in the top 10 here. Impressive.

Williams is looking quicker than FI here and they normally sandbag their FP sessions.

Manor's looking good to get to Q2 as well.

Renault, Sauber, and STR were pretty sad today.

It's Merc's race to lose - again. But it could be that Ferrari have edged out RBR in the power stakes - although I think it will be a tough battle between them that'll be won by strategy (and tire management) rather than outright pace.

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    There is still so much gap between Mercs and the rest of the field. From 1:21.135 to 1:21.972 seconds. Nearly a second off the pace. Hamy and Nico starting on the front row. Ferrari's in second row followed by Bottas and Ricciardo in third.

My Cars
    TBD
    Okay opposite to what I'd said, Ferrari were sandbagging a little while RBR were going flat out. Didn't get to watch FP3 so I missed than and was quite surprized by Q1. Although Q2 setup Q2 and Q3 for me to at the end of the day - because I missed FP3 Q1 was a little nice - with cars moving up down the grid based on genuine pace.

Haas made it into Q3 with Esteban - what a drive dude - what a drive!

I think Merc has some serious alien tech in their dampers. Their cars ride the curbs like they are not even there. Nico braked a couple of meters earlier than Lewis and didn't tail brake as hard into the Lesmos and Lewis frickin' stomped Ascari left's curb - and I think that's where he gained the time.

Back when I was watching F1 from years and years ago, the guys that attacked and locked up on turns during practice were the guys absolutely pushing the limit. Lewis was pushing the braking point limits all weekend whereas Nico was fast but not pushing.

Anyways, awesome lap by Lewis, Bottas, and Esteban. I really didn't expect Williams to be ahead of RBR this weekend.

Massa is going to need to start soft and go to medium tires in order to get a one stop that can get williams enough points to keep ahead of FI.

It'll be interesting to see how Ferrari and RBR conduct their strategies. SS to S to S or SS to S to M. who can make the S last 20-21 laps (if they can get 14 laps out of the SS).

Barring the front 2 I think it's going to be interesting race - strategy wise.

My Cars
    i3 + MV Agusta Brutale
    YES!! What a start! This will help with some excitement.

- - - Updated - - -

Holy crap, Hamilton's Merc just powers past the Red Bull like it's a backmarker...

- - - Updated - - -

Looks like Williams is running a solid, solid race! Finally they have great strategy! Now Bottas has track position and Ricciardo will not get a gap as Bottas is on fresh tires having covered the undercut. Only way for Red Bull to get past Bottas is passing on the track, and that might be unlikely.

Really interesting to see how long Kimi can keep Hamilton behind, and will they pit Vettel early to start attacking Hamilton from behind, counting on Hamilton burning his tires and being vulnerable in the last laps. After all, Ferrari has nothing to lose: they have 3rd and 4th on lock, but can do this long shot for 2nd without any risk... Who knows, there might be a safety car (though very unlikely).

- - - Updated - - -

Never mind, they pitted Kimi. Oh, he's emerged right behind Verstappen... Popcorn is out.

- - - Updated - - -

Could this be tight in the end for 2nd? If Hammy makes another mistake at least? Ferraris can squeeze to be 1 sec per lap faster, they're 13 sec behind, and 10 laps to go... Probably not without something happening like a mistake from Lewis.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh s**t, amazing surprise move by Ricciardo! Can't blame Bottas for that one, it didn't look like he was in play at all, but made that move to perfection. When Ric started that move it was over, as Bottas is a smart and responsible driver and wouldn't try to do some braking zone blocking move.

Without that move I'm pretty sure Ricciardo couldn't have ever passed Bottas. He's been in the DRS reach before, and Valtteri in the Williams easily controlled the situation. Ricciardo would've probably burned his super softs to the point that he wouldn't have threatening pace any more if he'd have followed even one more lap.

Great radio message from Alonso: "HAHAHAHA!".
    Last edited by MagneZium; 09-04-2016 at 09:20 AM.

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    I stopped watching the race after lap 45.

My Cars
    '97 Hellrot euro M3 SMG & '93 dakar yellow euro M3
    Quote Originally Posted by MagneZium View Post

So now the questions of whether Max is following after his wife-beater dad is answered. I've been very surprised before on how aggressive and elbows out many Dutch people are, I've come to the conclusion that it's some kind of cultural thing over there. My theory is that they haven't had much differentiation, much class differences, not much to have advantages over each other with, and so success has been made by screwing people over and being aggressive.
    I'm sure you've met a lot of them
    E36 M3 S50B32 daily - E36 M3 S54 trackcar

They Say Money Talks, All Mine Ever Says Is Goodbye

My Cars
    i3 + MV Agusta Brutale
    Especially when I lived in Belgium, but also in other countries yes, I have met, studied with, worked with and done business with many Dutch people.

And no, I don't hate the Dutch. I'm not Austin Powers' faaszhaa.

https://youtu.be/PnVG3DNf6_U?t=53s
    Last edited by MagneZium; 09-04-2016 at 02:05 PM.

My Cars
    TBD
    Wow, after initially booing Rosberg, he spoke Italian to them thanking them then started humming White Stripes (edit: proper name is Seven Nation Army) and the entire crowd joined in. That was awesome!

Otherwise race results expected after Quali. The only surprise for me was the Ferrari going SS - SS - S.

What a crowd. the podium was better than the race.
    Last edited by RidgeBack; 09-04-2016 at 05:31 PM.

My Cars
    yay
    The crowd was pretty entertaining.

I looked to see if there was a race at Monza scheduled for next season. Would be fun to watch a race there. Sadly, no race under contract as of yet.

My Cars
    TBD
    Quote Originally Posted by xxxxxxx View Post

I looked to see if there was a race at Monza scheduled for next season. Would be fun to watch a race there. Sadly, no race under contract as of yet.
    They just a 3 year extension. So yeah, there'll be a race at Monza for the next 3 years.

Gary88 has been to Monza a few times. Maybe PM to get some details.

My Cars
    17 X5M, 19 X3, 03 C4S
    Quote Originally Posted by xxxxxxx View Post

Bernie announced a 3 year extension, so Monza is on for the foreseeable few years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan M3 View Post
    Crime is crime. So what if I have a badge, gun, taser, pepper spray, and a propensity for violating individual's rights?
    2017 X5 ///M
    2019 X3 XDrive 30i
    2003 C4S

My Cars
    F150, Suburban, M3
    How about the rumor of the US outfit buying F1, and Bernie is out of a job.

"It's not the people who vote that count, it's the people who count the votes."
    -DNC

My Cars
    yay
    Quote Originally Posted by RidgeBack View Post
    They just a 3 year extension. So yeah, there'll be a race at Monza for the next 3 years.

Gary88 has been to Monza a few times. Maybe PM to get some details.

Yippee!

Thanks for the update.

My Cars
    M3, 850i, E30T, E55T
    Quote Originally Posted by RidgeBack View Post
    Wow, after initially booing Rosberg, he spoke Italian to them thanking them then started humming White Stripes (edit: proper name is Seven Nation Army) and the entire crowd joined in. That was awesome!

Otherwise race results expected after Quali. The only surprise for me was the Ferrari going SS - SS - S.

What a crowd. the podium was better than the race.
    This was so great, amazing how he just brings out the Italian and gains the mob approval, somehow getting them all singing.

Good to see Nico not making any mistakes in the lead, very Hamilton-esque confidence.

Hamilton seemed pretty peeved in the post-race questions by Sky but when he doesn't win, it's the end of the world. He maintains the start was not driver error, apparently Merc have had issues with clutch inconsistency that has been popping up.

Also finding it funny that at every race Lewey says on the podium "Wow, what an amazing crowd, these are the best fans" . He's good at this PR thing.

Good to see the honey badger coming out to play as well with that golden smile of his.

My Cars
    TBD
    Quote Originally Posted by badmonkey View Post
    How about the rumor of the US outfit buying F1, and Bernie is out of a job.

Well maybe Todt can pull the reigns once for a while. Bernie has gotten things done though. He knows how to push a deal. His answers when questioned were extremely vague as usual.

F1 really needs professional stewards or at least one professional chief steward every race weekend. The same person (or group of people) every race weekend to lend consistency to the rulings.

My Cars
    BMW
    I certainly prefer driving Mugello vs Monza in video games
    Nothing else to add here..
    Just wish Monza was more entertaining.. races in the turbo ages at Monza just doesn't have the aural-cajones to make up for the boring on-track racing

When called an idiot sometimes is better to be quiet than to open mouth and remove all doubt.
    Man who walk through airport turnstile sideways going to Bangkok.
    --Confucius

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Just a heads up, the Malaysian track has been resurfaced and slight elevation changes have been made at Turns 2, 5, 15.