Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who tries to race you?

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    Quote Originally Posted by auaq View Post
    Been driving a rental car. It's a 2015-16 Buick Regal with a turbo 4 cylinder engine. Nice and quiet and gets upto speed effortlessly. I would like to race and test the performance of this poor man's Cadillac.
    ... why are you driving a rental car though?

I was driving in my Range Rover today, and some dude in a Subaru starts revving and accelerating all quickly at a green light, so I threw the Range Rover into sport mode and caught up to him nicely. I wasn't trying to race or anything but man was the Subaru guy surprised.
    1995 525i 5-speed - Thread

My Cars
    E90 M3
    I've had ppl in boosted s13s and mk7 gtis try to race me in my wrx... lost to both lmao the stock VA wrx makes around 225whp stock and doesn't stand a chance against a dsg equipped gti
    F10 535i

Formerly Owned:

2000 540i/6
    E23 733i
    E90 M3
    E53 X5

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Anyone ever driven an Evo? See a lot of WRX fans and how much they love these cars but not too many Evo's around.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dannyzabolotny View Post

I was driving in my Range Rover today, and some dude in a Subaru starts revving and accelerating all quickly at a green light, so I threw the Range Rover into sport mode and caught up to him nicely. I wasn't trying to race or anything but man was the Subaru guy surprised.
    Got a rental because my M5 is at the bodyshop thanks to AAA for damaging the front end, so they got me setup for a rental. And unfortunately my 530i has suffered a bad engine about two Friday's ago. It rained all day long from morning to next morning and the driver side cabin filter drainage was clogged up causing water to settle down in the brake booster compartment half way up. Water got inside the brake booster and made it hard to apply the brakes, and at the same time the engine started sucking in water too. Engine started to run rough and misfired. Because it was undrivable I parked the car and stayed at home all day. Next morning I cleaned up the brake booster area and tried to start the engine but it ended up bending the con rods in the end. Checked compression and there was hardly any psi in all cylinders.

My Cars
    1999 540i
    Ooouuuccchhhh....

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    Man, that's a bummer, sorry to hear about that :/ At least your 530i has lived a pretty long life up until now. What's the plan for that, gonna replace the engine?

My Cars
    2000 BMW 528i
    Awk needs an ls engine in there! How about a de stroked 6.0?

My Cars
    Are Slower than yours.
    Your Mom.

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Man, that's a bummer, sorry to hear about that :/ At least your 530i has lived a pretty long life up until now. What's the plan for that, gonna replace the engine?
    I'm not exactly sure what to do now with this car. Aside from the engine failure there are a couple of other issues currently present in this car. This has been my daily beater for a really long time, and now it has come to a point where something is acting up every now and then. I'm having to constantly fix it, from little things to some major repairs, here and there, and I'm getting tired of it to be honest. I'm spending more money on it than I'm actually saving. I could if I want swap in another M54 but then I'll have to spend more money to repair/replace any worn items on that engine, and then on top of that, keep fixing other stuff. Overall, it's just not worth it for me to try and keep this car running. Currently it sits outside with 236k miles on it and I don't think anybody would be really interested to buy my car. The best offer that I could think of selling is around $2000 or less. So, I'm at the point of either try to sell it or part it out.

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    Hm, yeah, with 236k miles you're not going to see any return on your investment if you choose to replace the engine, plus you'll still have all those issues as you mentioned. Even in perfect running condition, a 530i with 236k miles won't be worth much more than $3000.

At least once you fix the M5 you'll have an E39 to drive again. Might as well put some money into that and make that your permanent daily.

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Yep, the best that I could get out of this car with no issues at all and at that high mileage would be around $2500 to a max of $3500.

At this point I would love to do an S54 6 speed swap but my financial situation will not allow that. S54 engines alone are seen for around $3000 and up to $6000.

- - - Updated - - -

My M5 could use some good parts off my 530i since it too has some issues. Like the ABS module, I could swap in better working headlights, I may even switch over to the black face M5 cluster, some interior bulbs here and there.

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    I did a little bit of work today and it seems that I am wrong about the bent rods. Looks like I need to re-seat/seal the piston rings. Did a wet compression test and although the numbers weren't that good but they did bump up, so maybe there's a hope this engine could be saved. If I succeed in getting it back to running again I could try to list my car for a higher price.

My Cars
    1997 E39 528I SE
    Had a Fiesta 1.6 Zetec S try it on, on the way to work today, didn't waste the fuel

My Cars
    E39 00 528
    Not really racing but a Honda Civic Si was flexing repeatedly until I almost blew my head gasket figuratively and took the scenic route home.
    Near a school zone out of all places.

My Cars
    2003 540i/6 M-Sport

This made me smile because I've surprised people a few that didn't expect my portly RR L322 to move it's body weight as well as it does.

As for the 540i, not to many people where I live try to mess with me. We mostly have Honda boy-racer types and diesel pick-ups around here. The only person that has really given it a try was a guy in an Acura TL Type S, he learned his lesson. Earlier this week I did have a Hillary Clinton look-a-like beat off the line in her Subaru Forester...everything about that situation caught me off guard though, so that doesn't really count.

2003 BMW 540i M-Sport: 6-speed swap, BC Racing Coilovers, DUDMD Tune, M60 Intake Manifold, Custom Exhaust, Polished M-Pars,
    Technical Graphite Trim w/ cupholder delete, E46 M3 tri-color stitched steering wheel,
    Dyno'd @ 253whp/291wtq (dynojet) before intake manifold swap

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Quote Originally Posted by bE34ST View Post
    This made me smile because I've surprised people a few that didn't expect my portly RR L322 to move it's body weight as well as it does.

As for the 540i, not to many people where I live try to mess with me. We mostly have Honda boy-racer types and diesel pick-ups around here. The only person that has really given it a try was a guy in an Acura TL Type S, he learned his lesson. Earlier this week I did have a Hillary Clinton look-a-like beat off the line in her Subaru Forester...everything about that situation caught me off guard though, so that doesn't really count.
    Kome Raise Me Bruh!

My Cars
    328i,740i,e36 m3 x2,e46
    In my e36 but still.....every clapped out hooptie, diesel truck, and newer bimmer in town and my favorite of all time...a school bus.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    Quote Originally Posted by bE34ST View Post

Yeah, I surprise everybody with how my L322 moves. Especially now that I've rebuilt the timing chain guides and Vanos, tons of low end torque.

Quote Originally Posted by MtekJosh View Post
    In my e36 but still.....every clapped out hooptie, diesel truck, and newer bimmer in town and my favorite of all time...a school bus.
    I feel like with an E36 there's that expectation of racing because a lot of them are driven by street racer drift bro types. Whereas with an E38/E39 it looks more like a regular sedan so it's not as obvious what the owner's intentions are.

My Cars
    328i,740i,e36 m3 x2,e46
    Yeah, I surprise everybody with how my L322 moves. Especially now that I've rebuilt the timing chain guides and Vanos, tons of low end torque.

I feel like with an E36 there's that expectation of racing because a lot of them are driven by street racer drift bro types. Whereas with an E38/E39 it looks more like a regular sedan so it's not as obvious what the owner's intentions are.
    I did have way fewer issues with it in the e39s I have owned over the years. Shame that e36s are "in" right now, miss flying under the radar like back in the day. Looking for a 540/6 to DD for that very reason.

My Cars
    02 bmw 540
    Quote Originally Posted by MtekJosh View Post
    I did have way fewer issues with it in the e39s I have owned over the years. Shame that e36s are "in" right now, miss flying under the radar like back in the day. Looking for a 540/6 to DD for that very reason.

Everyone tries to race me to the restroom!!

My Cars
    525it,02 525it,73 2002
    Anyone ever driven an Evo? See a lot of WRX fans and how much they love these cars but not too many Evo's around.

- - - Updated - -
    Yes, My Son has a 05 that is 758whp . They are very cool car factory Brembo brakes, AWD 5sp. or 6sp. easy to make 500whp. Oh yea factory Recaro seats also. Their shop builds Evo's that are 1000whp. I might buy one or do a motor swap in my touring. M5 swap or 2jz swap or buy a Evo. Hmmmmm

Last edited by jp5Touring; 10-29-2016 at 10:35 AM.

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Yeah, it's amazing what the 4G63 engine is capable of.

I've always loved their rally cars back in the day. I love the Evo IV and V body styles.

My Cars
    525it,02 525it,73 2002
    Yeah, it's amazing what the 4G63 engine is capable of.

I've always loved their rally cars back in the day. I love the Evo IV and V body styles.
    Agree, Rally stuff is super cool I think. Hardest part is finding one that hasn't been trashed yet.
    He and a friend flew from Detroit to Jacksonville fla. to get his. I was a good dad and paid for two airline tickets and a red roof inn for a night.
    They left home on a Friday at 4:30 am got home Sunday night 8:00 pm. The guy he bought his from is in the Service Air Force IIRC.
    He was super ocd and would take the aluminum exhaust off every couple months and polish it. Car was clean to say the least.

My Cars
    1998 E39 540i/6
    I know this thread is a couple weeks old, but I thought I'd chime in.

ChargerRt,Mustangs all years,Wrx Sti's, Audi S4 those things are fast, Camaros all years, but the car that really surprised me was the new 2016 Focus rs!! We went from a dig and we were pretty much even till we hit the beginning of 3rd he started to pull, I started catching back up by the end of 3rd, and past him in fourth, still that's a fast little car. People roll up to me thinking it's an easy win because it's a 4 door, our cars curb weight is as much as a 350z, I'm not sayin that's light, but do some weight reduction with the scuba tanks in that back, even the resonator mixed that with a quarter tank of gas you got something special
    Last edited by Wheel Da Beast; 11-22-2016 at 05:06 AM.
    1998_540i_6speed/Single_straight_pipe_from 🐱🐱back/BBS_reps_19"_8.5F-10R/3.15_open_diff/Zeck_CDV

My Cars
    97 528i
    oh yeah...I have to jump in too... Back when my wife had her '89 Corvette...EVERYONE tried to race you. Ford Lightnings to tuner-boy shite...there wasn't a car brand NOT represented when it came to this topic. I'd modified the car with some very clean upgrades...it was pretty fast, ran 315/35-17's on all four corners and I fit the big brake kit...it was a stout runner in all areas. But this was a no-win situation for us. If you beat the knucklehead...it was because you had a vette. If they beat you....well, they just kicked your ass in your vette. We were eff'd either way.
    Now...I get attacked by everyone it seems...as they feel it imperative to dust off the 'wagon sitting next to them (my '03 525it sport). But youth and ignorance is no match for age and treachery. It's nice to keep up with or outrun someone on the backroads and have them come back to my car at the next stop and say..."holy shit !!.... that a wagon...!!!???" lol....

My Cars
    2002 BMW M3 Coupe, 05 X3
    I've only had SUVs try to race my wagon. One time leaving work late at night, a lifted Chevy Tahoe revved its engine at me. I don't understand why, as my 528i looks almost bone stock. Yes I actually raced him and yes, thankfully I won lol.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast