Thread: How To Get Started Using RomRaider -- E36 Specific Guide

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i

How To Get Started Using RomRaider -- E36 Specific Guide

Ok, here is a work in progress write-up I did on the OpenMS41 Wiki that should have the best of this sort of information:

https://sites.google.com/site/openms...with-romraider
    Last edited by tptrsn; 08-24-2016 at 01:17 PM. Reason: Replacing my writeup with better info

My Cars
    2-97 M3 sedan, 2015 STI
    I clicked on the links but none seem to work.
    THE TIME DRAWS NEAR!

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Ok, thanks. Some of them don't work for me either, I'm not sure what I did... Anyway, I am working my way through them and fixing them.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, I think they are all fixed now. At least they all work properly on my computer with a single click. Sorry about that, I'm not sure what I did wrong the first time through.

My Cars
    2-97 M3 sedan, 2015 STI
    It opens up now but it says I'm not authorized to download the attachment. it seems you have to register with RomRaider first before you can download it. I tried registering before but i didnt get any response from the site. if you don't mind, can you please email me the attachment at kasj2002@gmail.com? thanks in advance.
    I have the ECU editor knowledge of opening up and organizing the different files but the logger is my biggest issue.
    THE TIME DRAWS NEAR!

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Well, the logger is sort of a separate thing, that still often gives me problems (but sometimes I can get it to work). I'm hoping to gain some good understanding of why it doesn't work for me sometimes so I can iron out whatever the issue is, and then I can maybe help with the use of the logger too.

For now, TestO seems like the slickest option for logging. You can find it in this thread:

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...ime-graph-view

Still though, I can email you something if you tell me exactly which document you are looking for?

My Cars
    2-97 M3 sedan, 2015 STI
    Quote Originally Posted by tptrsn View Post
    Well, the logger is sort of a separate thing, that still often gives me problems (but sometimes I can get it to work). I'm hoping to gain some good understanding of why it doesn't work for me sometimes so I can iron out whatever the issue is, and then I can maybe help with the use of the logger too.

For now, TestO seems like the slickest option for logging. You can find it in this thread:

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...ime-graph-view

Still though, I can email you something if you tell me exactly which document you are looking for?

for now I'm asking for the latest ms41 v0.43 definition file. Can you email me a copy please.

As for the logger, sometimes I get it to work sometimes I don't. That issue is due to the files that are required to be open and run the logger for the e36 ms41 has to be in a certain location, so I'm thinking.
    THE TIME DRAWS NEAR!

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Coming your way!

My Cars
    2-97 M3 sedan, 2015 STI
    Coming your way!
    thanks. I received it.
    THE TIME DRAWS NEAR!

My Cars
    '90 325is '88 M3 '87 iX
    The biggest thing that screwed me up with RRlogger, was not having the newest version of the logger.

After that, it took me a while to figure out that in RRlogger, I needed to go:

Settings>Select Logging Protocol Options>DS2--K-Kine.

Once I had it on that setting, it worked properly.

My Cars
    2-97 M3 sedan, 2015 STI
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern View Post
    The biggest thing that screwed me up with RRlogger, was not having the newest version of the logger. After that, it took me a while to figure out that in RRlogger, I needed to go: Settings>Select Logging Protocol Options>DS2--K-Kine. Once I had it on that setting, it worked properly.
    Mine is automatically set to that when I open Rrlogger but it still doesn't connect to the DME. I know for a fact that it's because I'm not opening the logger definition from the right folder/file. I know the v317 is where the logger definition is but I can't seem to find the right profile to load.
    THE TIME DRAWS NEAR!

My Cars
    e38 740i e39 540 wagon
    You guys should contact Tunercat and Moates.net, they can do much better software and get you real time tuning ability.

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    What have you used that on? And what years are your 540 and 740? Have you done any tuning on them? If there is a good tuning method for an early e39 540 I need to know about it!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by spenka View Post
    Mine is automatically set to that when I open Rrlogger but it still doesn't connect to the DME. I know for a fact that it's because I'm not opening the logger definition from the right folder/file. I know the v317 is where the logger definition is but I can't seem to find the right profile to load.
    I was just out doing some logging with TestO, it is pretty sweet.

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanCollins View Post
    You guys should contact Tunercat and Moates.net, they can do much better software and get you real time tuning ability.
    Very off topic, it probably has to do with a standalone system. Totally different of what is mentioned here.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    That's what I figured too Abel, but I figured I'd respond in kind with another off topic. Lol (Thad here)

My Cars
    Many Broken Ones
    Quote Originally Posted by 328 Power 04 View Post
    Very off topic, it probably has to do with a standalone system. Totally different of what is mentioned here.
    I use a moates setup for OBD1 E30/E36 stuff. Nice and wish i could get it working for OBD2.
    460whp/515wtq wifes MMW tuned 335i

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    I reloaded everything, and so far the logger has been working well for me. Going out to throw a new tune in the car and see if the logger works again straight away or not. RomRaider really is pretty slick once you get everything rolling. No complaints here.

My Cars
    2-97 M3 sedan, 2015 STI
    I reloaded everything, and so far the logger has been working well for me. Going out to throw a new tune in the car and see if the logger works again straight away or not. RomRaider really is pretty slick once you get everything rolling. No complaints here.
    It does work but to get it to work you have to open certain files in certain folders.
    THE TIME DRAWS NEAR!

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    All I have done is made a folder on my desktop called RomRaider where I have the latest definition file, and I also have another folder called logger _v317 inside of that folder where the logger definitions including the one I made for my car. They seem to work great now that I properly installed RomRaider instead of running it from a thumb drive... My problems were self-inflicted as usual. Haha

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, in the first post I deleted my writeup and replaced it with a link to a similar writeup I made on the OpenMS41 Wiki. That way as that gets improved, this thread will just have a link to the improved version.

My Cars
    e36 328i
    can I please get a copy of the ms41 definition, ive been trying to register on romraiders website for months now

busterhax is offline Y̝͎̘̍́ͣ̉͑̿̆Ō͎̼̺̬̒ͯ̃̇͗̂ U͈̖
    My Cars
    e36
    Quote Originally Posted by bjenkinson View Post
    can I please get a copy of the ms41 definition, ive been trying to register on romraiders website for months now
    Why can't you register?

My Cars
    328i 325is e420 s55 f150
    Quote Originally Posted by bjenkinson View Post
    same issue, if someone could send it to me also that would be great

busterhax is offline Y̝͎̘̍́ͣ̉͑̿̆Ō͎̼̺̬̒ͯ̃̇͗̂ U͈̖
    My Cars
    e36
    Why can't you register?

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    busterhax is an administrator or something on there, so you guys really should help him to help you.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 323i
    Quote Originally Posted by busterhax View Post
    Why can't you register?
    I can't register either, I get the message

"The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again.
    The confirmation code you entered was incorrect."

I tried submitting about 30 times, no luck.

EDIT: i was trying to register previously on android through chrome, today i tried on windows through chrome, it appeared to work and when i checked my spam it was in there, so problem solved, romraider signup does not work on android, and emails go to spam in gmail.
    Last edited by Lordniksidor; 02-11-2018 at 12:24 AM. Reason: New information

My Cars
    1997 e36 325
    hi tptrsn just wondering if you can help me out i am having trouble getting definition files for ms41.0 off rom raider if you can email them to ramomujic1@outlook.com would be far more than helpful and greatly appreciated thank you����