Thread: New E39 owner. Need help with aftermarket stereo wiring!!

My Cars
    2001 E39 530i

New E39 owner. Need help with aftermarket stereo wiring!!

I used the search function and while I found some helpful comments, I still can't for the life of me get sound from my speakers.

2001 E39 530i w/business cd dsp stereo.
    I purchased:
    JVC KD-R870BT HU
    2 sets of
    JVC CS-DR520 speakers
    Metra 70-9003 Receiver Wiring Harness

Yes all speakers are plugged in correctly with solid connections.
    I made sure to follow the wiring diagram at this link:
    http://audiowiringdiagram.com/car/2002-bmw-e39-5-series-car-radio-audio-stereo-wiring-diagram-colors/
    A couple of the wire connections don't really make sense. There's no White + for the
    Car Radio Amp Turn On Wire: that I could see.

I'm working with this plug:

But then I notice that this plug that says "AMP" on it isn't included in any instructions or wiring diagram.... I would imagine I need this right??? It is plugged in on the stock unit... so why wouldn't I use it... The Plug I am referring to is below:

Can someone give me a little direction as to what I may be doing wrong or forgetting??
    I appreciate it in advance. I just want some tunes in this thing

Thanks!

My Cars
    1998 528i; 2000 540i;
    WHat amplifier are you using? If you're going through the DSP then it won't work without the BMW head unit because they talk to each other. If you're going directly from the HU to the speakers, is your HU turning on?
    gmak: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. A journey with my new-to-me 2000 540i

"Working on a BMW E39 is the best way to run out of time."

My Cars
    2001 E39 530i
    Quote Originally Posted by gmak View Post
    WHat amplifier are you using? If you're going through the DSP then it won't work without the BMW head unit because they talk to each other. If you're going directly from the HU to the speakers, is your HU turning on?
    HU turns on fine yes. And I am using the stock amp.

My Cars
    1998 528i; 2000 540i;
    That is your issue then. The DSP amp talks to the headunit. If there is no answer, it shuts down.
    gmak: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. A journey with my new-to-me 2000 540i

"Working on a BMW E39 is the best way to run out of time."

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi,

As per above, you can't 'easily' use the oem DSP amplifier with an aftermarket head unit. As you've purchased the JVC and the speakers, I'd suggest you remove the oem DSP amplifier and the DSP speakers and sell them off or store them away in case you sell the car and want to put it back to stock. Then install the head unit and run speaker wires to the doors. Those JVC speakers are co-axials, which can be used on the rear parcel shelf as replacements. The front doors need component speakers to sound decent i.e the woofer in the middle of the door location and the tweeter in the oem corner of the window location. If you install the other set of co-axials in the oem woofer location, the tweeter will be playing to your knees and frankly, will sound terrible. The tweeter in a component setup sits in the corner of the window location and 'lifts' the soundstage and imaging up above your knees and closer to where your ears are.

Cheers, Dennis!

My Cars
    2001 E39 530i
    Quote Originally Posted by DennisCooper View Post
    Hi,

As per above, you can't 'easily' use the oem DSP amplifier with an aftermarket head unit. As you've purchased the JVC and the speakers, I'd suggest you remove the oem DSP amplifier and the DSP speakers and sell them off or store them away in case you sell the car and want to put it back to stock. Then install the head unit and run speaker wires to the doors. Those JVC speakers are co-axials, which can be used on the rear parcel shelf as replacements. The front doors need component speakers to sound decent i.e the woofer in the middle of the door location and the tweeter in the oem corner of the window location. If you install the other set of co-axials in the oem woofer location, the tweeter will be playing to your knees and frankly, will sound terrible. The tweeter in a component setup sits in the corner of the window location and 'lifts' the soundstage and imaging up above your knees and closer to where your ears are.

Cheers, Dennis!
    Thanks for the comment. I think I am just going to have to run speaker wire from the sound of it. I think what I am going to do is take it to a stereo shop and have them wire up a new amp, install new speaker wire and the HU. Too big of a project for the time I don't have. haha But thank you all for the input. At least I know I wasn't really doing anything wrong!

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    Just curious, why are you replacing the uplevel DSP stereo with an aftermarket unit?
    2001 Z3 3.0i -Oxford Green/Sandbeige
    2016 428xi -Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 430iC- Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 330it - Melbourne Red/Venetian Beige/Black

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by amancuso View Post
    Just curious, why are you replacing the uplevel DSP stereo with an aftermarket unit?
    The DSP is a marginal upgrade at best. The E46 Harman Kardon stereo which gets generally widely crapped in fact is a far better 'premium stereo' than the E38/E39/E53 DSP systems were.

There are technical reasons for this - amp power is micro-minimal, there are cross-over points that are ridiculous and kill the low end and prevent a decent aftermarket sub from working very well, etc. but all in all its not a great system. A really quality aftermarket HU would easily outpace it, but it's not easy to install as you have to work out the wiring and figure out how you are going to power up 10 speakers plus a sub. That's why "G.A.S." had a "PCN" product, and why guys like me have spent months and months of cumulative time installing active crossovered aftermarket DSP + amp setups (classic "this will only be a small quick upgrade project" mistake!)
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)