Thread: E31 1997 840ci - having trouble calibrating steering column / seat memory module

My Cars
    1997 840ci

E31 1997 840ci - having trouble calibrating steering column / seat memory module

:SOLVED:

Hello,

I replaced my steering wheel adjustment module (Actually called the seat memory module, PN 32311160011), and unfortunately I didn't know it needs calibration.

I have a diagnostic laptop with INPA / DIS / Tool32 (which I don't know how to use)

While I can view and access most of the modules on the car, it does not see the the seat memory module for me to be able to run the calibration program.

When I move the steering column adjustment lever, I can hear a click from the module, so I know it's getting power and signal.

Can anyone please help me to connect to the module and run the calibration program?

Thanks!
    Last edited by DanB; 07-03-2019 at 12:16 PM.

My Cars
    Made in Germany
    Just to clear some confusion... 32 31 1 160 011 is called the Steering Column Memory Control Module but is generally referred to as LSM (acronym from the German name Lenksäulen Memory) and resides above the heater core in the middle of the dashboard. The Seat(/Mirror) Memory Control Module is an entirely different module which can be found underneath the driver's seat. It's acronym is SM/SPM (Sitz Memory / Spiegel Memory). Maybe the confusion came from the fact that the LSM module requires the SM/SPM module for the memory functionality but otherwise they are independent modules.

If the module is brand new or did not come from an E31 you will first have to recode it.

Recoding the LSM in DIS: "Coding/Program." → "[3] ZCS/FA CODING" → Next → Next → Next → "[1] E31 Series" → Next → "[1] Recoding" → Next → "[21] LSM" → Next → "Yes" → Next → "Yes"

Calibrating the LSM in DIS: "Diagnosis" → "8 Series" → "E31" → Next → scroll down to "[21] STEERING-COLUMN MEMORY (LSM)" → Next → Next → "[3] Activate Components" → Next → "[2] Carry out calibrating run" → Next → scroll all the way down, turn the ignition key to position I if not already there, and click the button with the two halve circles to start the procedure.

Note that the LSM may identify itself as for the E32 in diagnostics. Not sure why that happens, but I've seen it on multiple E31 without ill effect. It's more likely a bug in DIS than wrong coding.

PS: What will you do with the old LSM module? If you were thinking of throwing it away, please consider donating it to one of the E31 forum members with electronic skills. Maybe something can be learned from it so in the future it can be repaired instead of replaced.
    Last edited by revtor; 08-17-2016 at 02:45 AM.

My Cars
    1997 840ci
    Revtor,

This is extremely helpful and informative, and I look forward to hopefully getting the steering column working this week thanks to your post.

I actually mixed up my original LSM with the LSM from my '97 parts car which I bought from a forum member several years ago. I swapped the interior and many other parts, and during the process I ended up reinstalling the LSM from the parts car. I sold my original LSM to a forum member before I buttoned up the project and did not put two and two together until later.

Given that my LSM was from the parts car, should I go ahead and recode it first, or jump straight to the recalibration?

Thanks again for your reply,

Dan

My Cars
    Made in Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by DanB View Post
    Given that my LSM was from the parts car, should I go ahead and recode it first, or jump straight to the recalibration?
    In that case recoding is not necessary. But if it came from another E31 I wonder why it doesn't work out of the box. The calibration data is stored in non-volatile memory. The end limit positions might not be entirely correct for your car but I would expect the steering column to move at least a bit.

Did you have the steering column apart? Is there any chance the mechanism seized up?

If you can't get it to move at all (electrically) or if you can't reach the module by diagnostics, check fuse F40 in the rear power distribution box (trunk).

My Cars
    1997 840ci
    I didn't take the steering column apart, but I guess it's possible that the mechanism seized up. Is there a way to manually adjust the column to try and "un-stick" it?

As for The donor E31 was in a front end collision on the driver's side. Perhaps the collision sent the original column out of adjustment? Or would that even matter?

I tried fuse F40 to no avail. The thing is that I can hear the box in the console clicking when I move the lever, so it's at least powered and getting input from the stalk.

- - - Updated - - -

Update,

DIS, INPA, and NCS EXPERT do not see the LSM module. Pulling fuse 40 didn't help. Again though, I do hear clicking when I move the stalk on the steering column. I wish I had another LSM to test out!

My Cars
    Made in Germany
    Earlier you mentioned you couldn't see the seat/mirror memory module either. Maybe the problem is much wider?

Can you perform the Short Test in DIS (which, despite the name, takes quite a while)? This will probe all modules in the car and the resulting list indicates the modules that answered.

Short test in DIS: "Diagnosis" → "8 Series" → "E31" → Next → "Short test" → "[1] E31" → Next

Your '97 840Ci should have:

• [1] ENGINE ELECTRONICS (DME/DDE)
    • [3] TRANSMISSION CONTROL (EGS/AGS) - only if your car is equipped with automatic transmission
    • [10] ELECTRONIC BODY MODULE (EKM)
    • [11] BODY ELECTRONICS (ZKE)
    • [12] RADIO/IR SYSTEM (IR)
    • [13] INSTRUMENT CLUSTER (KOM)
    • [14] LAMP CHECK MODULE (LKM)
    • [15] ON-BOARD COMPUTER (BC)
    • [16] ELECTRONIC CAR IMMOBILISATION SYSTEM (EWS)
    • [18] BURGLAR-ALARM SYSTEM (DWA)
    • [19] AIRBAG (AB)
    • [20] SEAT/MIRROR MEMORY (SPM/SM)
    • [21] STEERING-COLUMN MEMORY (LSM)
    • [30] HEATER - A/C SYSTEM (IHK)
    • [50] ANTI-LOCK BRAKING SYSTEM (ABS)
    • [54] ELECTRONIC DAMPER CONTROL (EDC) - if equipped

Can you indicate which ones are not on your list?

My Cars
    1997 840ci
    Revtor,

I have got all of those modules showing up on the short test list except for [21] STEERING-COLUMN MEMORY (LSM) and [54] (not equipped).

My Cars
    Made in Germany
    Ok, so only the LSM is not responding. Maybe one of the connectors on the module is not properly seated? If the latch of the 12-pin connector is not fully open while inserting, the connector may not go deep enough. If that does not look to be the problem, I'm afraid the LSM module might be bad...

Or maybe you damaged the wiring towards the LSM module while swapping the interior? You may want to check the wiring using the diagrams in the electrical troubleshooting manual (ETM)...

My Cars
    1997 840ci
    Follow-up:

I'm an idiot...

unplugged 1.jpg

Sorry for wasting your time Revtor, thanks for helping troubleshoot.