Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: E36 Rear Spring Rates for AutoX and Track?

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Thanks jakermac and MW!!

My Cars
    2000 M5, 2018 Macan Turb
    Quote Originally Posted by TXBDan View Post
    Asking for spring rates without context is completely useless and you're explicitely asking that we don't add context. Is your intention to simply average all the numbers posted and run that? I just don't see where you're going with this. There are knowledgeable people on here that will help you if you let them.
    Agree, a better question might have been what do other drivers like, a neutral car, a tail happy car, an under steering car, etc as those lead to rate advise - a little.

Also agree conditions can dictate rates, at a track like CMP (Carolina Motorsport Park) the track has typically been very bumpy between 13 and 14 and high rates (or damper too stiff) can make the car dance all over the place in that section. Friends tell me Sebring in Florida also very bumpy, not a great place for super stiff suspension.

I built a FWD track car a while ago that was tail happy, and it tended to scare the hell out of me at times. Everyone said that was the right set up for FWD, now I know that was BS.

Get seat time and figure out what you like. Experiment.

And listen to the pros:

http://www.randypobst.com/index.cfm?...e&mag_id=15941
    PCA HPDE Instructor
    current:
    2004 M3 convert 6sp man - low mileage beauty!

past:
    1995 BMW M3 3.2
    2004 M3 convert SMG
    2003 BMW 540i6 Alpine White M sport (I want her back!)

My Cars
    79 323i, 94 325is, 13 M3
    Yes, I was parked at an HPDE this weekend next to a nice guy driving a GT4. We were talking oversteer in BMWs and he said he raced E36s forever, and they were all prone to "surprise" oversteer unless all the rear bushings were replaced with solid or near solid. His point being that I needed to do the same in my E92 daily driver post haste. He never breathed a word about spring rates or dampers, and I didn't want to be a d**k about it so I just listened. Plenty of good advice in this thread. Funny how this collective always manages to steer things that way.

My Cars
    99 M3 / 95 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by JBasham View Post
    Yes, I was parked at an HPDE this weekend next to a nice guy driving a GT4. We were talking oversteer in BMWs and he said he raced E36s forever, and they were all prone to "surprise" oversteer unless all the rear bushings were replaced with solid or near solid. His point being that I needed to do the same in my E92 daily driver post haste. He never breathed a word about spring rates or dampers, and I didn't want to be a d**k about it so I just listened. Plenty of good advice in this thread. Funny how this collective always manages to steer things that way.
    Surprise oversteer in an E36? Lol...one of the most predictable cars I've driven...

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    -Chris

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    I haven't experienced any surprise oversteer, but then again the first thing I did was replace all of my bushings with nearly solids except the RTABs, which for which I got softer poly in case some articulation is necessary in those. With the 800# springs I currently have in the rear I doubt there's very much articulation needed in that bushing, but the motion ratio does make those springs surprisingly compliant. I kind of think I would try higher rate springs just to see what they are like, but 800s are the highest I have. So I guess 800s are where I will stay...

My Cars
    2000 M5, 2018 Macan Turb
    I've run both poly and factory RTAB's with limiters and quite frankly I think the concerns about articulation in the E36 are overblown. With 800 lb springs you should be fine. Vorshlag wrote up an article with concerns, and I have driven a car where lack of articulation with rear poly could really be felt in a negative way, the E36 doesn't seem to be bothered by poly in the RTAB.
    PCA HPDE Instructor
    current:
    2004 M3 convert 6sp man - low mileage beauty!

past:
    1995 BMW M3 3.2
    2004 M3 convert SMG
    2003 BMW 540i6 Alpine White M sport (I want her back!)

My Cars
    1998 318is
    Hi All. Reviving an old thread. Looking for recommendations on spring rates and I'll try and give as much info as possible.

e36, 328i coupe.
    Gutted and caged. Doing cheap endurance racing (think Lemons or Chump cars). Racing only. Only time it will be on a public road is getting it on/off the trailer.
    Looking for neutral handling.
    We are not allowed to run coilovers so will get some Koni inserts, probably get them custom valved to the spring rates we settle on.
    Must run a street tyre. No R Specs or semi-slicks. Currently using a 320 treadwear Michelin Pilot Sport 4. Basically a decent quality road tyre.

I've done some reading/searching but the circuit recommendations (probably) all assume an R-spec tyre or stickier. Would like to get some good data from the experienced guys before I waste a bunch of time and money chasing a good combo.

(currently have OEM spec Bilstein dampers and some lowering springs that I bought cheap - no data on rates unfortunately. The car is nicely balanced but too much body roll which really dent's your confidence on high speed corners. Sway bars are 24mm front, 15mm rear)

Thanks
    Last edited by Hags86; 03-19-2019 at 08:36 AM.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    With the limitation of using OEM struts, I'd just start with the NASA spec3 setup, or some other E36 spec class setup that uses the OEM McP struts.

https://nasa-assets.s3.amazonaws.com...ules_Final.pdf

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Do you know what the spring rates are for those? Initial googling doesn't reveal any numbers.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    I don't. But, typically, spring rates for OEM struts from HR, Eibach, etc max out around 300lb/in.

NeilM is offline Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    96 M3, 15 Golf R, 18 Q5
    @Hags86: Are you going to/allowed to change the sway bars, and in the case of your non-M chassis, the front link attachment location?

Neil

My Cars
    1998 318is
    Yes, can change sway bars and link attachments.

My Cars
    97 M3
    Definitely not coilovers, but I found that the E36 M3 Dinan+Koni setup was very capable on street, track, and autoX. It was supposedly 150/400 but also did not lower the car much, only like 1/4" or so, which keeps the front roll centers happy.
    '97 M3/2/5 Lux, AW/Modena, ~225k, many mods and lots of grip
    Please lift when giving a point by

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12