Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: E46 5.3 turbo 4l80 M3 rear introduction

My Cars
    88 Mazda RX-7 LS Swapped
    Quote Originally Posted by FoxBodyRacing View Post
    looking great. I'm jelly at your access to a CNC machine. that will really make everything clean. did you make that AC bracket?
    Nope, the A/C bracket is an ICT Billet piece. Yeah, it's a huge perk of my job to be able to use all these fun toys whenever I want. I'm jelly of your shop! I just have a tiny two stall to work on my junk. It'll get the job done though.
    bmwgarage.jpg

My Cars
    88 Mazda RX-7 LS Swapped
    Welded some short radius elbows on the IC to give me some more room.

BMW-13.jpgBMW-14.jpgBMW-15.jpgBMW-16.jpg

My Cars
    88 Mazda RX-7 LS Swapped
    Got the rear tore out this weekend in hope to start welding in some subframe mount reinforcement plates. I dropped the fuel tank (which was full, naturally) to rid the area of combustible sources. It got me thinking about how I'm going to setup the fuel pump(s) I have two Walbro 450 pumps which one will be activated by a Hobbs switch. I'm thinking I'll retain the OEM idea and run both pumps in the passenger side and return into the drivers side using the OEM siphon setup. Not sure what other good options are.

My Cars
    88 Mazda RX-7 LS Swapped

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i

My Cars
    88 Mazda RX-7 LS Swapped
    Quote Originally Posted by tptrsn View Post
    Sweet!! Can't wait to see pics of the rear suspension setup as it develops!
    I just finished up the rear this last week. I just welded in an ECS sub frame reinforcement kit and sealed it up with seam sealer and undercoating. I just need to find the M style differential cross member to complete it. The rear setup is just a stock M3. No mods quite yet, those will be later when I find the weak links.

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i

My Cars
    88 Mazda RX-7 LS Swapped
    A little more progress. I'll make a merge from 14 ga mild steel with the oval shape where the tubes come together. Then it will transition to the rectangle T4 shape and be welded to the flange. I'll also include a provision for the wastegate on the top and I think the position will be close to shown in pics.

BMW-22.jpg BMW-23.jpg BMW-24.jpg BMW-25.jpg

My Cars
    88 Mazda RX-7 LS Swapped
    Modeled up the merge yesterday and started forming it. I think it will work well.

merge-1.jpg merge-2.jpg merge-3.jpg merge-4.jpg merge-6.jpg

My Cars
    88 Mazda RX-7 LS Swapped

My Cars
    88 Mazda RX-7 LS Swapped
    I have come to the point where we need to figure out what I'm going to do for a shifter. Is there a model of BMW that has a shifter that can control a 4 speed with enough detents? If I recall I saw a swapped 740i that had a 4 speed shifter with PRND321?

In other news, I have some welding and painting to do to the chassis. I'm hoping to have the car fire by the end of the month.

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    I've been wondering if it might be possible with the factory E36 328i shifter... I'll have to take a closer look at the situation.

My Cars
    88 Mazda RX-7 LS Swapped
    I'm picking up an OEM 4th gen F-body shifter tomorrow. I'll try my best to retrofit a BMW looking knob on it and make it work. The next thing is to try and figure out how to get the electronic pedal from the Sierra to work in the car. I received the Radium Engineering MFPST I ordered yesterday, and I do have to say it's a very nice piece. I mounted the Walbro 450s in it and set it in the trunk for now. I need to order fittings for fuel soon. Things are coming together, slowly, still.

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    I have a B&M Quicksilver I think, that Dburt was running, and apparently he made it fit perfectly in the E36 console and with the BMW shifter boot, with only minor modifications. So that might be an option.

Now that I'm thinking about it though, I'm not positive that it would handle a 4L80e... He was using it with a TH400. Anyway, your F-body shifter project will be cool!

My Cars
    88 Mazda RX-7 LS Swapped
    Welp, I have just about everything I need to get the car together. I was scratching my head on what I am going to do about my pedal sensor for the DBW throttle. I'll come up with something I'm sure, but curious if any of you have seen or done something nice?

My Cars
    Chevy, xBMW's, LS Volvo
    Quote Originally Posted by screamin88 View Post
    Welp, I have just about everything I need to get the car together. I was scratching my head on what I am going to do about my pedal sensor for the DBW throttle. I'll come up with something I'm sure, but curious if any of you have seen or done something nice?

Considered using the BMW pedal? I'm back and forth on what to do about a pedal for our current LS swap project as well. I'd REALLY like to find somebody to reprogram a TAC module to accept the BMW pedals inputs, or build a replacement custom programmed TAC module.

My Cars
    88 Mazda RX-7 LS Swapped
    Quote Originally Posted by kenndoggy View Post
    Considered using the BMW pedal? I'm back and forth on what to do about a pedal for our current LS swap project as well. I'd REALLY like to find somebody to reprogram a TAC module to accept the BMW pedals inputs, or build a replacement custom programmed TAC module.
    That would be ideal. I'm thinking I'll use the stock DBC BMW pedal and cut down the GM Truck pedal assembly to fit behind the pedal in the BMW somewhere. Then weld a pad on the GM unit where the BMW pedal can rest on and push on it that way.

My Cars
    Chevy, xBMW's, LS Volvo
    Quote Originally Posted by screamin88 View Post
    That would be ideal. I'm thinking I'll use the stock DBC BMW pedal and cut down the GM Truck pedal assembly to fit behind the pedal in the BMW somewhere. Then weld a pad on the GM unit where the BMW pedal can rest on and push on it that way.

Oh thats rad, I hadn't even considered that. Basically, use a DBC pedal to push the GM DBW lever arm?

My Cars
    88 Mazda RX-7 LS Swapped
    Yep! that's my thought. I'll take apart the DBC assembly and see what I can fab up to bolt to existing fastener locations.

My Cars
    2003 M5, 2014 535i
    I am using the BMW DBW pedal with the GM E38 ECU. I was able to get the voltages within what the GM ECU (E38 ECU) is looking for by shimming pedal as described in the post below. I don't what ECU you are using but may be this might work for you as well.
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...8#post29444488

2003 M5 LSx l 6 Spd Manual l 4.10 LSD
    Build Thread
    The chassis must always be regarded as a means to an end and never as an end itself

My Cars
    Chevy, xBMW's, LS Volvo
    Quote Originally Posted by Schitzo View Post
    I am using the BMW DBW pedal with the GM E38 ECU. I was able to get the voltages within what the GM ECU (E38 ECU) is looking for by shimming pedal as described in the post below. I don't what ECU you are using but may be this might work for you as well.
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...8#post29444488

Thats awesome. Sadly, won't work with the Gen III PCM's though. The PCM doesn't drive the throttle body motor like a Gen IV PCM does.

My Cars
    88 Mazda RX-7 LS Swapped
    Yeah, I am running a p59. I have a plan.

My Cars
    88 Mazda RX-7 LS Swapped
    I'm working on wiring and plumbing fuel lines at the moment. At a snails pace as always. Just wondering if there is a decent thread on LS stand alone to e46 chassis wiring? I haven't seen a whole lot on the subject as far as removing the DME and where to tap into switched and constant powers along with using the OE fuel pump wiring.

My Cars
    88 Mazda RX-7 LS Swapped
    it runs, kinda...

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Spill the beans!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast