Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: E46 5.3 turbo 4l80 M3 rear introduction

My Cars
    88 Mazda RX-7 LS Swapped
    I found a L33 and an 04 Explorer 3.55 differential/axles. Parts are coming in slowly but coming in indeed.

My Cars
    88 Mazda RX-7 LS Swapped
    Still not anything worth taking pictures of, but I ordered a Jakes billet single disc converter last Friday. My next step is to get the trans built so when I bolt in the drivetrain, it can stay there. I'm trying to think "efficiently".

My Cars
    88 Mazda RX-7 LS Swapped
    TURBSKI.jpg
    This little fella showed up today. The trans is at my buddy's place and going to get built soon. I have a project to finish for a friend of mine and after that's done, I can start to tear into the E46. Getting much excite now.

My Cars
    None yet
    Nice!! What are the numbers?

My Cars
    88 Mazda RX-7 LS Swapped
    Apex BW Billet S476/87 T4 1.10 a/r.

My Cars
    88 Mazda RX-7 LS Swapped
    BMWPROGRESS.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Things are kind of happening. I guess.

My Cars
    88 Mazda RX-7 LS Swapped
    Gathering parts slowly but this is still on track. Have the oil pan here. Just ordered water pump so I can plan the accessories. I also ordered some universal poly bushing and trans mount pieces to get the mounting done. Today I am calling LJMS to get his Stage I turbo cam and BTR spring kit.

Who knew kids would soak up all your extra time!??!? lol! bmwturbo.jpg

My Cars
    88 Mazda RX-7 LS Swapped
    Lot's of parts coming in. I have all of the accessory brackets here from ICT. ARP head studs showed up along with so GM MLS gaskets. Motor mounts and trans mount are finally finished, just need to get them blasted and sent off to get powder coated.

I'm contemplating selling this big ass turbo and going with a single S366. This project has turned into a daily driver car vs big power play car. So maybe a smaller turbo would fit my needs better.

Now I need to get the engine buttoned up, get an intercooler, build wire harness, and build hot and cold side. after that the engine goes to a friends shop to get tested on his SuperFlow 902. pumped about that. This project is taking too long. time to step it up..

My Cars
    Mazda 3
    It's nice to see that this project is still alive!

My Cars
    88 Mazda RX-7 LS Swapped
    I ordered a M3 style bumper from eBay and it showed up already! I'm impressed. I also ordered 16 refurbished rocker arms with Comp Cams trunnion upgrade installed. They are here as well. I setup my new parts washer the other day from Harbor Freight. Engine mounts are all powder coated and done. This weekend I hope to get the engine sealed back up with lapped exhaust valves, new seals, BTR double valve springs, BTR push rods, newish rockers, LJMS stage one turbo cam, ARP head studs, and Improved racing oil pan baffle.

Engine will go back in for mocking up the turbo kit and turbo drain routing. I'll fit the bumper then decide what air to air intercooler will fit nicely and order that too. I'll get some pictures going soon.

My Cars
    88 Mazda RX-7 LS Swapped
    I also have thought about using a M3 rear vs doing a custom 8.8. So I'll be trying to source one of those. I figure the M3 should easily handle 6-700whp.

My Cars
    88 Mazda RX-7 LS Swapped
    BMW-1.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

BMW-2.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

BMW-3.jpgBMW-4.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

BMW-5.jpg

Got one head cleaned up and springs installed. Just to do the other one and wait for my new timing set to come in. I should be able to get the engine done Monday when that happens.

My Cars
    88 Mazda RX-7 LS Swapped
    Just purchased a full M3 rear axle/suspension drop out along with wheels and front brake assemblies.

Cam is degreed and I'll torque the heads on tonight. Then engine goes back in and it's on to turbo kit. Progress!

My Cars
    88 Mazda RX-7 LS Swapped
    Top end is finished. Cam ended up being about 2 degrees advanced from 0. Send it. 80 ftlbs felt good while torqueing down these ARP studs. Now the engine will go back in and I'll start on the hot side and turbo mounting! Then I can figure where the turbo oil drain will be and weld in a bung in the oil pan.

My Cars
    88 Mazda RX-7 LS Swapped
    BMW-6.jpgBMW-7.jpgBMW-8.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Looks like the factory bumper actually gives me a tad more room up front. Time to order some pipe, intercooler, and radiator.

My Cars
    88 Mazda RX-7 LS Swapped
    BMWALT-3.jpgBMWALT-2.jpgBMWALT-1.jpg

Much like FoxBodyRacing, I had to get the belt up and away from the turbo housing. So I redesigned the plates I received from ICT in Inventor and I'll cut them out on the water jet. I'll also CNC mill out the appropriate surfaces. It sure is nice working at a shop with these toys available.

My Cars
    88 Mazda RX-7 LS Swapped
    Sold my BW S476 and put a PT76/75 LS Series on order! I'm excited about this since it will be much easier to package in the little e46 engine bay. Also ordered some rear trailing arm bushings and the subframe reinforcement kit from ECS. Need to finish the machining on my new Alt mount plates then wait for the Precision turbo to come in. Then its finally onto the hot side.

My Cars
    88 Mazda RX-7 LS Swapped
    Got the new ALT brackets made and machined. I plan on cleaning them up a bit and sending them out to get powder coated. They do a good job getting the belt up and away from where the turbo will snuggle in. I need to find a belt that will work and get some fasteners that will better suit my needs. Turbo should be in by the end of next week so then I can design a T4 flange with brackets to be supported off the front of the engine. Then it's on to building the hotside.

BMWALT-4.jpgBMWALT-5.jpg
    Last edited by screamin88; 02-09-2018 at 10:23 AM.

My Cars
    BMW
    O man this is going to be a riot and then some when you finish the build!

My Cars
    88 Mazda RX-7 LS Swapped
    Quote Originally Posted by ECSTuning View Post
    O man this is going to be a riot and then some when you finish the build!

Got to get going on it! I hope to get the turbo kit done soon and get it into the engine dyno shop and get her toned!

My Cars
    2002 353I
    Quote Originally Posted by screamin88 View Post
    Sold my BW S476 and put a PT76/75 LS Series on order! I'm excited about this since it will be much easier to package in the little e46 engine bay. Also ordered some rear trailing arm bushings and the subframe reinforcement kit from ECS. Need to finish the machining on my new Alt mount plates then wait for the Precision turbo to come in. Then its finally onto the hot side.
    hopefully you have better luck with a 75mm back wheel. I'm pretty sure that's what cause my heads to lift.

My Cars
    88 Mazda RX-7 LS Swapped
    The Cast PT76/75 should be a perfectly matched turbo for my 5.3 and power goals. I did get a 31x12x4 IC to fit behind the stock bumper with slight modifications. I think I'll try the stock radiator and see how that works. Looks like I'll have sufficient room for a turbo now. Now to wait for turbo to show up.
    Last edited by screamin88; 02-19-2018 at 10:23 AM.

My Cars
    88 Mazda RX-7 LS Swapped

My Cars
    88 Mazda RX-7 LS Swapped
    It came today! Much smaller than the S476. Now I won't have to hack everything apart to get a turbo to fit. I ordered a bunch of tube from Global Tech and should be arriving in a couple weeks. I also ordered up a mid 90's Taurus fan and all the necessary hardware and couplers to build the turbo kit. I'll design my own T4 flange with mounting provisions to somehow be braced from the front of the engine block. Should be able to make some good progress in the next couple weeks!

PTE7675-2.jpgPTE7675-1.jpg

My Cars
    2002 353I
    looking great. I'm jelly at your access to a CNC machine. that will really make everything clean. did you make that AC bracket?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast