Thread: Brake ducts

My Cars
    99 M3, 11 GT3RS
    Quote Originally Posted by m3bs View Post
    Pics per request.

Wheel at full lock.

http://s176.photobucket.com/user/m3b.../Brake%20Ducts
    Nice. THanks man. Going to do that now.

Love your radiator/oil cooler setup btw.

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by DocWyte View Post
    I'm buying the Hard Motorsports kit today.

Bumper has to come off so I can make radiator shrouding anyways
    There's plenty of good install instructions that come with the kit; for a 328, the install isn't quite as straight forward. You'll find the panel "sticks out" from the bottom of the bumper. (This is what I wanted, to mount an air dam).

The holes for the M3 don't match up with those for the 328. Here's what I did:

Take off the bumper, and either move the fender liners or remove them. Also take off the upper radiator shrouding - the upper plastic bit between the body work and the radiator, directly in front of the hood catches.

Remove the bumper and all the crud. Install the two "hangars" (You'll see what I mean) on the frame horns. Using a jack to support the front of the underpanel, go ahead and mount the back of the panel to the two hangars. Put the bumper back on.

Looking down from the top, you will see 3 holes in the bottom of the bumper in front of the radiator. Mark these with a sharpie; you'll drill them out in a minute. Now looking in front of where each fender liner is, you'll see two holes per side - same deal, sharpie those holes man.

Take the bumper and underpanel back off. Drill the holes where you sharpied. Finish install as normal, using your new holes. I also added two additional holes, between the three in the front and the two on the sides; you'll see it.

Any questions hit me up.

Finally, if you want the underpanel, but don't want it to stick out front of your 328, just mark it after you install it, and cut it to fit up inside the bumper like the M3. The material is thin enough to cut with a hand shear.

--Bill
    Last edited by CoMZ302; 09-07-2016 at 09:17 AM.

My Cars
    '98 M3
    Thanks, but I have an M3...
    '03 911 Turbo 6MT fun car
    '18 Toyota Land Cruiser Daily driver/Ski Machine/Off Roader
    '15 Cayenne Diesel Wife's DD
    '17 KTM 690 "Adv" 2 wheeled Adventurer

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by DocWyte View Post
    Thanks, but I have an M3...
    I know, I saw it.

BTW those wheels will be for sale again in November if you want them back

My Cars
    Cayman S, Golf GSW, E30
    Anyone know if the Hard Motorsport hard pipes would interfere with the rear mounting brackets of the motion motorsport undertray kit? Looks like they both mount to the bottom of the frame rail so I assume they would not be compatible.

I think i'd like a solution that uses interface brackets at the fender liner like these:
    http://www.bimmerworld.com/Brakes/Pe...FYiKswodWrQKhw

So that the ducting within the bumper stays in the bumper and i can simply disconnect the hoses from the wheel well/backing plate as needed.

My Cars
    '98 M3
    Yes, they occupy the same space. You need to move things around a bit. I'll try and remember to take some pics of mine and post them.

My Cars
    99 M3, 11 GT3RS
    Quote Originally Posted by TXBDan View Post
    Anyone know if the Hard Motorsport hard pipes would interfere with the rear mounting brackets of the motion motorsport undertray kit? Looks like they both mount to the bottom of the frame rail so I assume they would not be compatible.

I think i'd like a solution that uses interface brackets at the fender liner like these:
    http://www.bimmerworld.com/Brakes/Pe...FYiKswodWrQKhw

So that the ducting within the bumper stays in the bumper and i can simply disconnect the hoses from the wheel well/backing plate as needed.
    I believe they occupy the same space. FWIW, one of my favorite things of the hard kit is that you can remove the bumper and not even worry about the ducts, the hoses, the clamps, nothing. It's great. They just line up perfect in the opening of the stock brake ducts.

Once turned down, they have been great, no rubbing, no nothing.
    99 M3 STU/ GTS3 Project

My Cars
    Cayman S, Golf GSW, E30
    Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousJJE View Post
    I believe they occupy the same space. FWIW, one of my favorite things of the hard kit is that you can remove the bumper and not even worry about the ducts, the hoses, the clamps, nothing. It's great. They just line up perfect in the opening of the stock brake ducts.

Once turned down, they have been great, no rubbing, no nothing.
    What do you mean by "once turned down"? If they don't rub, itd be nice to keep the hoses installed, but if they rub all the time, it'd be nice to be able to remove the section from fender liner to backing plate since i still drive the car to/from track and have to do some tight maneuvers in my driveway and garage.

My Cars
    '98 M3
    I have Kosei K1 17x8.5 wheels with 15mm Turner spacers. With the hoses installed they rub when you go to tight turns. Not so much that I've removed the hoses, but I don't street drive the car that much.

If I did and had to do alot of parking lot maneuvers, I'd remove the hoses

My Cars
    99 M3, 11 GT3RS
    Quote Originally Posted by TXBDan View Post
    What do you mean by "once turned down"? If they don't rub, itd be nice to keep the hoses installed, but if they rub all the time, it'd be nice to be able to remove the section from fender liner to backing plate since i still drive the car to/from track and have to do some tight maneuvers in my driveway and garage.
    When I installed mine, I had them turned out, 90 degrees towards the wheels. That is cause for certain rubbing.

A member on here let me know that when you install them, you turn them so the curve is facing straight down, towards the floor. When you do that and add a little extra hose, they will never rub.

This is even with my 245 Hoosier setup.
    99 M3 STU/ GTS3 Project

My Cars
    Cayman S, Golf GSW, E30
    Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousJJE View Post
    When I installed mine, I had them turned out, 90 degrees towards the wheels. That is cause for certain rubbing.

A member on here let me know that when you install them, you turn them so the curve is facing straight down, towards the floor. When you do that and add a little extra hose, they will never rub.

This is even with my 245 Hoosier setup.
    I see, thanks.

It'd be cool if someone integrated a brake duct tube with an undertray bracket. I wonder if i could slice a hard motorsport tube in half cross sectionally and then reaffix the two halves around the MM bracket. So the bracket would be sandwiched by the tube. Air would flow past the thin bracket fine. Or maybe cut slots in the tube so the bracket could pass through and then patch the slots up somehow.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12