Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brake ducts

My Cars
    1997 M3 Coupe

Brake ducts

Looking to get some cooling for the some front brakes on my E36 M3 track car. Does anyone have experience with the Turner kit vs. the Hard Motorsport Kit? Does anyone know if an installation video?
    1997 M3 Coupe Estoril/Modena......Track monster
    1997 M3 Coupe Cosmos/Dove
    2011 X3 Black/Black
    2011 335i Space Gray/Black
    1986 IROC-Z Black/Gray

I recently modified my front end to make the bumper removable for trailer loading. I went with the Hard setup because it comes with plastic tubes that attach to the frame rail, so it is independent of the front bumper. I'm sure you could rig something for the Turner setup to do the same.

https://youtu.be/303iU_hAJ_Y
    '95 M3 S54 Track Toy
    '19 X5 40i M-Sport
    '16 Cayman GT4
    ‘23 GR Corolla

My Cars
    1997 M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by m3bs View Post
    I recently modified my front end to make the bumper removable for trailer loading. I went with the Hard setup because it comes with plastic tubes that attach to the frame rail, so it is independent of the front bumper. I'm sure you could rig something for the Turner setup to do the same.

https://youtu.be/303iU_hAJ_Y
    How hard was the installation? Does it rub your tires any? Were there detailed instructions or did you find a how to video? Thanks for your response, all help is much appreciated!
    2011 X3 Black/Black
    1986 IROC-Z Black/Gray

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3 Sedan
    Is your car a purely track car or also driven on the street?

Bimmerworld and Achilles also offer the kit and I'm thinking about picking up a kit as well later in the future (my car is a weekend track car but driven on the street as well)

http://www.bimmerworld.com/Brakes/Pe...it-E36-M3.html

http://www.achillesmotorsports.com/A...m-bcdk-e36.htm

My Cars
    1997 M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by usedunderwear View Post
    Is your car a purely track car or also driven on the street?

Bimmerworld and Achilles also offer the kit and I'm thinking about picking up a kit as well later in the future (my car is a weekend track car but driven on the street as well)

http://www.bimmerworld.com/Brakes/Pe...it-E36-M3.html

http://www.achillesmotorsports.com/A...m-bcdk-e36.htm
    Only driven on the street to get to and from the track
    2011 X3 Black/Black
    1986 IROC-Z Black/Gray

Installation is pretty straightforward. The hardest part was cutting out what was left of my OEM backing plates. Non-issue if you are replacing wheel bearings at the same time.

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3 Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesembry View Post
    Only driven on the street to get to and from the track
    Same here, saw this same thread on the other section

My Cars
    GTS3 E36, 97 M3/4/5
    I'm using the Hard Motorsports kit as well, and for the same reason as M3BS. With the front splitter on my car sitting 1.75" off the ground, having to remove the bumper cover to load & unload the car onto the trailer was a necessity. With the Hard Motorsports setup, the cooling kit stays attached to the car while the bumper and splitter are removed. Installation is just as easy. I did add a couple of more clamps to make sure the tubing stays where I want it. Other than that, very easy install.

To answer your other question, yes, I do get tire rub at full lock with 245s. Just have to be careful, especially backing up. I put the same setup on a friend's car, and he promptly ripped it off backing off his trailer. Going forward, the rubbing just tends to push the duct out of the way. In reverse, it pulls it up where it gets crunched in the fenderwell.
    '95 M3 S54 Track Toy
    '19 X5 40i M-Sport
    '16 Cayman GT4
    ‘23 GR Corolla

My Cars
    E36 Track Rat, E46 M3 DD
    Very timely post, thanks. I'm going to put in ducts on my E36 328 track rat before the next HPDE at the end of September. There seems to be a pretty wide range of pricing, if you factor in what is included in each base kit. Here is what I have found so far, including a few less common names that seem to make a similar product. is there that big of a difference between say, the Bimmerworld backing plates and the Gruven ones?

Hard Motorsports - $375 - Backing plates, hard pipe, hose, inlet adapters
    Bimmerworld - $300. Backing plates and hose
    Turner Motorsports - $350 Backing plates and hose
    Harrison Motorsports - $300 Backing Plates, Hose, and Inlet adapters
    Gruven - $190 Backing plates and hose
    Sneed4Speed - $320, Backing Plates, Hose, and Inlet Adapters

My Cars
    Many
    I went with the Hard kit for a few reasons. (1) as other's have mentioned, the ease of removing the bumper. (2) the Hard kit has the aluminum tubing where the tire would rub. This helps with preventing the hose from ripping (3) the kit is comprehensive and well-priced. There are no instructions for installation (I looked and looked) but it's very straight forward. I added two hose clamps to each side for some additional safety.

My Cars
    95 M3 coupe, 97 M3 sedan
    When I searched I looked at Turner, Hard Motorsport and Bimmerworld. Went with BW because I happened to be ordering some other stuff from them. They all do pretty much the same thing for similar $$ if I remember correctly. The added cooling makes a noticeable difference on track. My pads and rotors last longer and braking is more consistent.

If you use the car on the street you'll probably wear through the duct hoses during parking maneuvers or pulling out of driveways. Turning the wheels much off center puts the tires in contact with the hoses. On track it's normally not an issue because you (hopefully) don't steer that far. I installed steering rack limiters - but even with those in place I can still catch the hoses with 17x9 wheels and 245 tires. If my car were double duty I'd probably remove the hoses on the street and only use them at the track.

My Cars
    E36 Track Rat, E46 M3 DD
    Thanks for the install pics without the bumper. Quite helpful to see from that angle.

My Cars
    Cayman S, Golf GSW, E30
    I was wondering how those ducts mate with the bumper, but I see from the video above that the Hard Motorsport inlet ducts cup over the factory inlet ducts. Very slick!

My Cars
    1994 318is
    I'm too much of a tight arse to buy one of those kits so I just made the backing plates out of some scraps I had in the shed and bought a length of flexible ducting.

I want to install some steering rack limiters before I install the ducts so a couple of PVC stormwater fittings were used as a temporary solution:

I was able to install the HM kit such that I get zero contact at full lock either direction. I'm running 245s on 8.5 x 17 wheels with a 15mm spacers. Of course, this was after finding out the hard way how NOT to do it.
    '95 M3 S54 Track Toy
    '19 X5 40i M-Sport
    '16 Cayman GT4
    ‘23 GR Corolla

My Cars
    02 M3
    $300 for brake cooling? No wonder people complain about the high cost of racing.

My Cars
    One more vote for the Hard Motorsports kit, that's what I bought. Having the tubes and ends stay with the car with the bumper off was key for me.

Also even if you don't remove the bumper, you'll have to find some way (zip straps!) to hang the longer tube from the BW kit on the car. I'd much rather have the hard tubes than a bunch of zip straps.

That's what I did, anyway.

My Cars
    E36 Track Rat, E46 M3 DD
    It's the weekend, so I can't call Hard Motorsports. Any idea if their kit will work with a non-M E36. It looks like their backing plates match the OD of the rotors, unlike some backing plates which are much smaller. The non-M rotors are only 286mm vs. the M rotors at 315mm. I'm assuming the backing plate mounting locations are the same on the M and nonM knuckles.

Hoping to get a set delivered in-time for some garage time over labor day weekend.

My Cars
    I have HM kit on my e36 328. I already had the backing plates so I can't speak for those. The rest of the kit fits but it isn't plug n play. The m3 has two studs hanging down from the frame horn; the 328 doesn't have those so you'll have to drill two holes and put longer skinny bolts in to make a mounting place for the brackets. The deepest bolt takes some patience to get installed. The air inlets do fit behind the 328 grill and line up nicely.
    2002 BMW M Roaster.
    1998 BMW 328is SCCA E Production road racer.

My Cars
    E36 Track Rat, E46 M3 DD
    Thanks for the reply. I was able to contact Hard Motorsports last night via their FB page. They don't have any backing plates in stock, and they are going to be a few weeks before they get their next batch fabricated. I'm trying to get something in before my next track weekend at the end of September, so I'll look at other options.

My Cars
    99 M3, 11 GT3RS
    Quote Originally Posted by m3bs View Post
    I was able to install the HM kit such that I get zero contact at full lock either direction. I'm running 245s on 8.5 x 17 wheels with a 15mm spacers. Of course, this was after finding out the hard way how NOT to do it.
    Picks or it didn't happen

Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousJJE View Post
    Picks or it didn't happen
    I'll try to get some this weekend if Hermine doesn't wash us away. The trick is to aim the hard pipe section straight down.
    '95 M3 S54 Track Toy
    '19 X5 40i M-Sport
    '16 Cayman GT4
    ‘23 GR Corolla

Pics per request.

Wheel at full lock.

http://s176.photobucket.com/user/m3b.../Brake%20Ducts
    '95 M3 S54 Track Toy
    '19 X5 40i M-Sport
    '16 Cayman GT4
    ‘23 GR Corolla

My Cars
    '98 M3
    I'm buying the Hard Motorsports kit today.

Bumper has to come off so I can make radiator shrouding anyways
    '03 911 Turbo 6MT fun car
    '18 Toyota Land Cruiser Daily driver/Ski Machine/Off Roader
    '15 Cayenne Diesel Wife's DD
    '17 KTM 690 "Adv" 2 wheeled Adventurer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast