Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: s54 e36 hot start issue, goes into open loop?

My Cars
    e36 m3

s54 e36 hot start issue, goes into open loop?

Not sure if I'm posting this in the right place, but I'm having a little issue with hot starts. For example, ill start my car in the morning and it will have the typical cold start in open loop. Then ill drive to the store, (gets to operating temp) for example and shut it off. When i get back to turn it on, it'll start rough like the car has been left overnight and it almost feels like its in open loop again. It starts right up its just rough, like its cold(but its not) for 20 secs to a minute.

Cliffs: Car will be warm when i go to start it, but goes into open loop thinking its cold.

I'm leaning towards a faulty coolant temp sensor, but its new..... so not sure. anyone have any ideas? thanks.

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5
    Have you read codes or run any other diagnostics? If you suspect coolant temp/open loop issues a simple OBD2 reader can confirm, but I'd suggest anyone with a swap have INPA on hand.
    S54 swap DME flashing - $100
    S54 swap CAN interface board (for proper A/C & check engine light) - $275
    e36 SAP sim/secondary air pump simulator:
    $75 - standard or $170 - plug & play
    e36 post-cat O2 sims: $115 shipped, plug & play

My Cars
    e36 m3
    Quote Originally Posted by gpeterson View Post
    Have you read codes or run any other diagnostics? If you suspect coolant temp/open loop issues a simple OBD2 reader can confirm, but I'd suggest anyone with a swap have INPA on hand.

All I have done so far is checked for codes, and it was clear. Don't have INPA.

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterchoans1 View Post
    All I have done so far is checked for codes, and it was clear. Don't have INPA.
    Using an OBD2 reader? It should tell you coolant temp & closed loop status as well.

My Cars
    e36 m3
    Using an OBD2 reader? It should tell you coolant temp & closed loop status as well.
    I have a generic one, doesn't tell me much.

I just swapped in a new oem coolant temp sensor and no change. I'm pissed.
    Last edited by Masterchoans1; 08-12-2016 at 11:22 AM.

My Cars
    e36 m3
    Okay just did a little more digging. If the car is at operating temp and I shut it off, but turn it right back on .. It starts up great with no symptoms. If I wait like 5 minutes then I'll get the shitty hot start.

Also, i dowlonaded an obd2 app on my phone and temps are reading good when I turn it on or off . They're not jumping or anything .

One thing though, o2 sensor 1 is good, voltage is ranging from .1 to .8 . Sensor 2 is not so good, it's set at .46 and it's not moving at all. I'm either thinking it's bad or I have to check wiring OR the app doesn't read sensor 2 and only reads one of them .

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterchoans1 View Post
    One thing though, o2 sensor 1 is good, voltage is ranging from .1 to .8 . Sensor 2 is not so good, it's set at .46 and it's not moving at all. I'm either thinking it's bad or I have to check wiring OR the app doesn't read sensor 2 and only reads one of them .
    There are 4 O2 sensors - the pre-cat ones should swing high/low regularly (every second or so) during closed loop. The post-cat ones will fluctuate less.

My Cars
    e36 m3
    There are 4 O2 sensors - the pre-cat ones should swing high/low regularly (every second or so) during closed loop. The post-cat ones will fluctuate less.
    Yep I know . I don't have any post cast sensors. Only pre-cat. According to the app, one of the pre cat sensors is not moving at all. Stuck on .46 which is no good. But then again not sure if it's just the app. I'm gonna try to use another obd reader . Any other ideas ? Can't really come up with anything else .

No fault codes, runs perfect otherwise
    Last edited by Masterchoans1; 08-12-2016 at 01:51 PM.

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5
    No OBD2 fault codes is not the same as no codes in INPA. I'd recommend finding someone with INPA or something else that reads proprietary manufacturer codes.

Do you have a vagcom cable? They are under $20 and will work fine with INPA on just about any PC for some (but not all) modules on your car.

My Cars
    e36 m3
    How do i even get INPA? Sorry I'm not very familiar with it. I tried searching on goggle and it's taking me to download sites but none seem to work..

What cable would be compatible? I'll buy the correct one if that's what it takes. I don't have the round 20 pin under the hood.

My Cars
    98 S54 M3 / 16 Audi SQ5
    Vagcom works through OBD2. I have a vagcom cable that we can use if you can get the INPA software on your laptop. I'll bring my Snap On Verus Edge home tomorrow and we should be able to figure it out with that, I'll shoot you a text to see when you're around.

That dead O2 isn't helping anything, I would plan on changing that out regardless.
    Last edited by purduinaM3; 08-14-2016 at 10:58 AM.

My Cars
    e36 m3
    Quote Originally Posted by purduinaM3 View Post
    Vagcom works through OBD2. I have a vagcom cable that we can use if you can get the INPA software on your laptop. I'll bring my Snap On Verus Edge home tomorrow and we should be able to figure it out with that, I'll shoot you a text to see when you're around. That dead O2 isn't helping anything, I would plan on changing that out regardless.

Sounds good Bobby! Just let me know.

Yeah I want to double check about that o2 though, I don't know about this obd2 app.

My Cars
    '97 Hellrot euro M3 SMG & '93 dakar yellow euro M3
    It's also easy to just check voltage of the second O2 with just a voltage meter, just measure on the pins under the coil cover.

If the O2 is bad though the rear bank should never go to closed loop. As far as I know they work independent. On my S54 bank 1 will register closed loop before bank 2 registers closed loop in the engine is warming up.
    E36 M3 S50B32 daily - E36 M3 S54 trackcar

They Say Money Talks, All Mine Ever Says Is Goodbye

My Cars
    e36 m3
    Me and Bobby hooked it up to his solus. Both O2 sensors check out okay, temp sensor looks like it's reading good too. Only codes were misfires in bank 2, but that's all.. Nothing very specific. Car is still doing it, not sure what else to try, car feels great and pulls nice besides the starting. Anyone have an idea ?

My Cars
    98 M3/4/5
    ICV getting stuck or not functioning correctly
    98 Estoril ///M3 4/6
    S54 swap CSL

My Cars
    e36 m3
    Icv was cleaned when engine was out of the car.

The car will start normal if I shut lt off and start it again immediately.. If it's more than a few seconds then it'll do it

My Cars
    98 S54 M3 / 16 Audi SQ5
    I think its the fact that you have no rear O2 sensors. The DME is trying to heat up the cats because it can't read any voltage coming from the rear O2's. I had them turned off in my DME by my tuner, you may need to do the same or maybe look into O2 sims.

My Cars
    e36 m3
    Quote Originally Posted by purduinaM3 View Post
    I think its the fact that you have no rear O2 sensors. The DME is trying to heat up the cats because it can't read any voltage coming from the rear O2's. I had them turned off in my DME by my tuner, you may need to do the same or maybe look into O2 sims.
    Yeah I was going to mention that, I remember you telling me. I'm gonna try sending my ecu files to gpeterson so he can check what's been turned off and what hasn't.

My Cars
    e36 m3
    Still does it after dyno tune at TTFS. Frank said it could be because of lazy o2 sensors. Problems happens at start up but goes away after o2 sensors start reading. Any other suggestions ?

My Cars
    97 E36M3 S54
    You can code tables that determine at what temperature it goes into "cold start mode" and for how long, was this modified?

My Cars
    e36 m3
    Thanks for the reply. Not sure if this was altered or not. It has now been through the hands of 3 different "tuners", and i guess they haven't looking into that. I just baught the o2 sensors, so I'm gonna go ahead and see if that does anything. But you may be onto something here ...

My Cars
    e36 m3
    UPDATE: new bosche pre cat o2s are in but no change. Anyone have anymore suggestions before I just take it to a shop ?

My Cars
    98 M3/4/5
    Ceck the sensor harness for breaks in the wires
    98 Estoril ///M3 4/6
    S54 swap CSL

My Cars
    e36 m3
    I feel like that would throw a code though. Car has no CEL, no stored codes at all and runs very strong

My Cars
    e36 m3
    Frank said it could be the vanos, what do you guys think ? Vanos has new solenoid

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast