Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: CAE vs RTD shifter

My Cars
    99 M3
    Any pics of the CAE or Samsonas shifter installed your cars?
    99 M3

My Cars
    Spec3 & MCoupe
    Sweet mother of god that video. Dude can shift mid corner and it stays totally planted.

I ordered an RTD shifter for my E36. Can't wait to install!

My Cars
    96 332IS 6466 turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by OCRentAPopo View Post
    Sweet mother of god that video. Dude can shift mid corner and it stays totally planted.

I ordered an RTD shifter for my E36. Can't wait to install!
    Whats the height difference from the rtd to the CAE ?
    1996 332IS
    Built 3.2
    CES/Steed TS Precision 6466, spraying a "$π!℅" load of meth.
    Technique Tuning 80# tune.
    1/4 mile 10.84 @ 136.72
    Your 1 and only stop for all your BMW performance needs
    WWW.CESMOTORSPORT.COM

My Cars
    Spec3 & MCoupe
    About $400. Mechanism looks pretty much the same and has the all-important centering spring. RTD can be ordered with or without the reverse lock-out. Honestly, I'm not familiar enough with the CAE shifter to tell you all the differences.

My Cars
    Spec3 & MCoupe
    Ah, poor reading comprehension on my part. You asked about height. The RTD shifter is available in 300mm or 360mm height. Not sure how that compares to CAE.

My Cars
    '01 3.0 ZCoupe

My Cars
    01M5, 99M3 Supercharged
    I pulled the trigger on an RTD shifter. I went with the tall, "race-spec" shifter in black anodized. Maher from RTD was extremely friendly and helpful to work with.

I currently have an UUC evo2 on my car and it's been giving me problems on the track. Getting into certain gears requires a little bit of wiggle sometimes and it really messes with my head with the fear of a money shift. Not to mention it's screwing with my lap times. I've heard nothing but good things about CAE and the same goes for RTD so I have extremely high expectations.

I'll report back once I've installed it and especially once I've given it some track miles.

My Cars
    '01 M3 , '11 X5 35D
    I bought one of these recently and had a chance to put it side by side next to a CAE. I have the non-locking race lever.

Couple of observations: The RTD is heavier than the CAE. Base plate is stainless steel vs aluminum but it's really a work of art. I like the base plate better than the CAE.

The finish on the actual lever is better on the CAE. The RTD looks hand lathed vs CNC for the CAE. From 3 feet away, the difference is negligible. That's not to take away from the overall quality of the RTD -- it's a quality part but you can tell by surface finish that it was hand finished. Both feel similar as far as centering is concerned, and tolerances are tight on both.

The word knock-off has been thrown around quite a bit, but it is a quality product. Mine is going in this week and I'll have a chance to test it on the track in a couple of weeks.
    Last edited by LAWLence; 03-15-2017 at 02:27 PM.

My Cars
    1993 BMW 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by illmatik View Post
    I pulled the trigger on an RTD shifter. I went with the tall, "race-spec" shifter in black anodized. Maher from RTD was extremely friendly and helpful to work with.

I currently have an UUC evo2 on my car and it's been giving me problems on the track. Getting into certain gears requires a little bit of wiggle sometimes and it really messes with my head with the fear of a money shift. Not to mention it's screwing with my lap times. I've heard nothing but good things about CAE and the same goes for RTD so I have extremely high expectations.

I'll report back once I've installed it and especially once I've given it some track miles.
    Similarly, I'm having trouble getting into 2nd gear in hairpins, is this a symptom of the transmission or something a shifter would fix? It almost feels as if it's locked out like first gear is at high rpm

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by LAWLence View Post
    I bought one of these recently and had a chance to put it side by side next to a CAE. I have the non-locking race lever.

Couple of observations: The RTD is heavier than the CAE. Base plate is stainless steel vs aluminum but it's really a work of art. I like the base plate better than the CAE.

The finish on the actual lever is better on the CAE. The RTD looks hand lathed vs CNC for the CAE. From 3 feet away. That's not to take away from the overall quality of the RTD -- it's a quality part but you can tell by surface finish that it was hand finished. Both feel similar as far as centering is concerned, and tolerances are tight on both.

The word knock-off has been thrown around quite a bit, but it is a quality product. Mine is going in this week and I'll have a chance to test it on the track in a couple of weeks.
    Great info, looking forward to your thoughts after some track time.

My Cars
    1993 325is
    I'm having trouble getting into 2nd gear in hairpins

Is it possible that the forces in the corners are making you pull the lever a little further to the left that you should? I know when I'm autocrossing, and I go into 3rd gear, getting back to 2nd is always a struggle as I always seem to pull to the left too hard, and catch the edge of the reverse gate where obviously there's nowhere for the shifter to go. I've also had co-drivers who unwittingly pull the shifter to the left while going from 1st to 2nd at the start of a run and find they can't get a gear for the same reason. And before someone goes suggesting its a motor mount or trans mount issue, I have Vorshlag 95D mounts in both locations.

My Cars
    1993 BMW 325i
    If that is the case, will the reverse lockout feature alleviate this problem?

My Cars
    e90 M3,X5,e46 racer
    yes, it prevents moving past the 1-2 gate.
    Check out the 8legs Racing page: https://www.facebook.com/8legsRacing/

My Cars
    '01 3.0 ZCoupe
    Quote Originally Posted by ScotcH View Post
    yes, it prevents moving past the 1-2 gate.

This has been my experience also. I never shifted to third in autocross, just because of this. Now, there are no worries.

My Cars
    I still don't see how these are any different (from a mechanical standpoint) than the AKG or BW direct shifters.

They all mount to the tunnel, and they all use a DSSR (or the stock linkage).

I'm not saying they aren't better, I'm saying I don't understand how they could be any different.

Do these mount directly to the transmission somehow?
    Last edited by CoMZ302; 03-23-2017 at 01:05 PM.
    2002 BMW M Roaster.
    1998 BMW 328is SCCA E Production road racer.

My Cars
    My E36 supercar
    Quote Originally Posted by CoMZ302 View Post
    I still don't see how these are any different (from a mechanical standpoint) than the AKG or BW direct shifters.

I'm not saying they aren't better, I'm saying I don't understand how they could be any different.

There are a few differences (I don't own a CAE);

1. The torsion spring will help keep you from miss shifting (also nice if your detent springs are worn)
    2. The reverse lock out will prevent you from going into reverse if you weren't not planning on it.
    3. I think you can adjust the shifter for the position you want when sitting freely in neutral (like 3rd/4th)
    4. The shifter is even taller bringing it closer to the steering wheel.

As for the throw I'm not sure how different they are but I'm sure someone can chime in about it.

They don't mount directly to the transmission
    Last edited by E36forever; 03-23-2017 at 02:29 PM.

My Cars
    Spec3 & MCoupe
    Quote Originally Posted by CoMZ302 View Post

Logically speaking, I agree with you. They don't seem that much different except for the torsion spring. That said, there are many reviews stating that the CAE / RTD / Samsonas shifters are leaps and bounds better. The price difference isn't too terrible so I decided to make the jump. I guess I'll know for sure in a week when my RTD arrives.

My Cars
    I opted for the knockoff direct shifter someone on here was selling a few months ago. It's really fantastic but it was only $160.... it's leaps and bounds better than stock anything I've ever tried (I also have an M Roadster) and I really really like it.

I have other needs for my car, but if all goes well I'll probably try one of these fancy ones - assuming I enjoy racing the car and it's pretty competitive.
    2002 BMW M Roaster.
    1998 BMW 328is SCCA E Production road racer.

My Cars
    e90 M3,X5,e46 racer
    It's ALL about the spring loading and centering, and the fact that you can adjust the stops so the shifter is never moved beyond the gate. It's just better. Period. Hard to convey how much better until you try it.
    Check out the 8legs Racing page: https://www.facebook.com/8legsRacing/

My Cars
    '01 3.0 ZCoupe
    Quote Originally Posted by ScotcH View Post
    It's ALL about the spring loading and centering, and the fact that you can adjust the stops so the shifter is never moved beyond the gate. It's just better. Period. Hard to convey how much better until you try it.

This.

Exactly this. I actually went a step further, and made mine lock out fifth gear as well (you have to pull the release to get to fifth) and now I can go from 2 - 3 and just slam it over onto the stop. Zero possibility of hitting 5th gear. The same for the 3-2 downshift. Just pull it over to the stop, and you are right there.

My Cars
    S54 E36
    So my RTD shifter finally arrived after a couple unplanned delays in England and Los Angeles.

https://www.facebook.com/RTD.Shifter/

My car was missing some of the OEM nuts that sit under the shifter in the transmission tunnel (I assume a previous owner removed them for another shifter or something at some point) so I wasn't able to finish bolting it in and then seeing how the throws feel with the new detent pins.

Needless to say, I'm pretty stoked.

At this time I also installed my AKG DTM Selector Rod.

Here is is in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MukLxLTvoI4

My Cars
    96 332IS 6466 turbo
    Does the bottom swivel on the rtd ? I'd like to hear an opinion of someone who has driven both. This is what was explained to me.

CAE - smoother
    RTD - cheaper.
    1996 332IS
    Built 3.2
    CES/Steed TS Precision 6466, spraying a "$π!℅" load of meth.
    Technique Tuning 80# tune.
    1/4 mile 10.84 @ 136.72
    Your 1 and only stop for all your BMW performance needs
    WWW.CESMOTORSPORT.COM

My Cars
    2011 BMW 135i
    Quote Originally Posted by Butters Stoch View Post
    Does the bottom swivel on the rtd ?
    Yes

My Cars
    My E36 supercar
    ^Does that make shifting easier for the gears except 3rd or 4th where the shifter is going off center?

My Cars
    Cayman S, Golf GSW, E30
    VAC has the Samsonas for $599
    https://store.vacmotorsports.com/sam...ons-p2997.aspx

I like that this version has a replaceable delrin knob instead of it being integrated into the lever.

Are the bolt patterns on these wide enough so that if i relocated the shift lever an inch rearward, the mounting bolts wouldn't fall into the stock shifter hole?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast