Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: CAE vs RTD shifter

mslevin is offline Have you checked RealOEM? BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E36, E38, E46
    Quote Originally Posted by Butters Stoch View Post
    Nothings wrong with the shifter. Its me. My car is 99.9% street car. Daily driven. Its just too much racecar. I went overboard unfortunately and now I really am not enjoying it as much for daily duties. Every dam part of the car has been upgraded to the moon, and now it feels like a racecar. I pulled the shifter out yesterday and tossed in a uuc that I had laying around.
    Feeling like a racecar is bad?! My car is more track car than DD and I still love driving it to work.

My Cars
    yes
    I don't get how a $800 shifter doesn't mount to the tranny instead of the chassis? I mean if you REALLY need 800 bucks worth of shifter to row a gear, it should be as accurate as possible....thoughts?

Don

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by dcvee View Post
    I don't get how a $800 shifter doesn't mount to the tranny instead of the chassis? I mean if you REALLY need 800 bucks worth of shifter to row a gear, it should be as accurate as possible....thoughts?

Don
    Define accuracy. Pick your poison (due to chassis and drive line flex) do you want the shift knob, or shift gates location to change relative to the driver?
    These shifters are race shifters, so assuming driver is locked in place, and hard driveline mounts, all is mostly good.

My Cars
    Spec3 & MCoupe
    Quote Originally Posted by aeronaut View Post
    Define accuracy. Pick your poison (due to chassis and drive line flex) do you want the shift knob, or shift gates location to change relative to the driver?
    These shifters are race shifters, so assuming driver is locked in place, and hard driveline mounts, all is mostly good.
    +1 Even with stiff or solid mounts, the transmission is still going to move around some. I'd rather my shifter stay in the same place relative to my body so I can shift with muscle memory.

My Cars
    yes
    My definition of accuracy would be the connection between the shifter and the tranny. I would consider all else to be subjective to the conditions you state. Gate can't change with shifter on the tranny. That's the beauty. Only thing that can move is the relationship between driver/shifter...and like I said, that's subjective. I can't imagine having that much tolerance in a race car that would have a driver searching for a shifter or a change in the pattern?

Now vibration and heat? That may be a consideration. I think it would be interesting to try one...although I'm sure it's been tried.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by aeronaut View Post

My Cars
    My E36 supercar
    Been using the shifter now with the race lever for a few weeks re training my muscles and it's a step up vs AKG. There are a few obstacles to over come with the install but once that's sorted out it's been fun. I'm also planning on getting a custom shift knob as the current knob is too short for me. I also have the mini lever I'm going to install as that will shorten the throw a tad more to see how I like it before settling.

AKG is still a great shifter IMO but the torsion spring with the RTD is really nice. The spring tension is just about right too. I'm glad I didn't have to change out the spring to get what I wanted.

If anyone wants the details of the install and issues I had PM me.

My Cars
    Spec3 & MCoupe
    Question for those with the CAE style shifters: Do you just live with a big open hole in the trans tunnel? Seems that the rubber boot would interfere with the bottom of the lever.

My Cars
    1988 Alpine White E30 M3
    I run this in my NASA gts2 race car with rubber boot with no issues. There is a flat metal plate that goes against the transmission tunnel so there is no hole for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Stable:
    2016 Cayman GT4
    1995 E36 M3 Dakar Yellow (NASA GTS2)
    1994 E36 325i (AER)
    1988 E30 M3 (Alpine White)

My Cars
    2005 M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by OCRentAPopo View Post
    Question for those with the CAE style shifters: Do you just live with a big open hole in the trans tunnel? Seems that the rubber boot would interfere with the bottom of the lever.
    The rubber boot does a pretty good job of covering the hole actually.

My Cars
    Spec3 & MCoupe
    Dangit. I trimmed my rubber boot to avoid clearance issues that probably never existed. Guess I'll get a new one.

My Cars
    '01 3.0 ZCoupe

I used the coolerworks shifter, and still have my shift boot, and full console. I had to use a die grinder and grind a reilief in the console, but everything went back in no problem.

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...shifter-review

My Cars
    E46 M3, F30 335i M Perf
    Currently using an AKG stage 2 shifter. Installing this along with the 75d motor and tranny Mounts (oem selector rod) was a night and day difference In the shifting. Leaps and bounds better than the oem e60 lever I had in there.

Then after installing 75d subframe and diff mount bushings, shifting tightened up significantly more for me and I love where I am at!

Until a few weeks ago I had a chance to try a cae shifter.... And I've now got all sorts of shifter envy.... That said, not sure if the cae could be 3x better than akg shifter??

Now this rtd is priced in between the two... Maybe the rtd might be the way to go to save a few bucks for other track car goodies lol. Looking forward to ready some more reviews and comparisons bw the two shifters!!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by E30toF30; 06-28-2017 at 12:34 AM.

My Cars
    1999 M3 and 1990 Jetta G
    Here's another option. Seem to have a couple of options for BMW and FRS/BRZ and about $400-$500 depending on finish

http://irpgermany.tictail.com/products/shortshifter

TRM Coilovers 670F/895R | BBS LM | Corsa RSC36

My Cars
    3 - E30 M3s, '04 Ford F350, '06 Audi A3
    Wow, that didn't take long.
    CAE baked up the recipe and now there are so many companies cranking out clones.
    That looks like a very nice one except it doesn't appear to have the side to side limiting adjusters like the CAE.
    Maybe I just can't see it.
    At that price point unless there is a quality issue you can't see,,, these should be quite popular.
    Last edited by jimmypet; 06-28-2017 at 10:54 PM.
    jimmy p.

88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - street
    88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - SCCA SPU
    87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car 2.0 Litre
    04 Ford F350 - V10
    06 Audi A3 Brilliant Red / 2.0 / DSG

My Cars
    My E36 supercar
    IMO RTD appears to be much better than IRP and of course CAE is the cream of the crop.

If you don't need a lock out shifter then the RTD for the quality and price point of $375 is currently dominating the market (AKG & BW). Not to mention there is no modifications needed to install the shifter (like drilling, cutting the console, or removing the driveshaft). You can even re use the leather shifter boot.

My Cars
    Spec3 & MCoupe
    For those putting these things in racecars, I'd hate to have a single piece shifter rod without any sort of shift knob on it. My trans. tunnel and shifter get pretty hot so it's nice to have a shift knob that insulates your hand from the heat of the shifter. RTD recently introduced Delrin shift knobs -- which I have in my car -- and I think that's a worthwhile feature that Samsonas and IRP seem to lack.

My Cars
    3 - E30 M3s, '04 Ford F350, '06 Audi A3
    For those putting these things in racecars, I'd hate to have a single piece shifter rod without any sort of shift knob on it. My trans. tunnel and shifter get pretty hot so it's nice to have a shift knob that insulates your hand from the heat of the shifter. RTD recently introduced Delrin shift knobs -- which I have in my car -- and I think that's a worthwhile feature that Samsonas and IRP seem to lack.
    I kind of like the no knob, only in that its one less thing to come loose, or pop off,,, that said I do have a knob i really like and it would take me a minute to adjust to not having it.
    2 layer, suede palm gloves take the heat part out of the equation at least for me, I would feel nothing unless its on fire.
    jimmy p.

88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - street
    88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - SCCA SPU
    87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car 2.0 Litre
    04 Ford F350 - V10
    06 Audi A3 Brilliant Red / 2.0 / DSG

My Cars
    2001 BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by vchau76 View Post
    I run this in my NASA gts2 race car with rubber boot with no issues. There is a flat metal plate that goes against the transmission tunnel so there is no hole for me.
    Ditto here!

My Cars
    1996 BMW M3/2/5
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmypet View Post
    it doesn't appear to have the side to side limiting adjusters like the CAE.
    Maybe I just can't see it.
    Can you expand on this feature you're describing? I have not seen one of these shifters in person.

My Cars
    98' Hellrot M3
    There's a group buy for the RTD Shifter in case anyone is interested
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...fter-Group-buy

My Cars
    98 Turbo M3, 04 E53 X5
    Any of you guys who went with the RTD go with the shorter mini shifter? Id love to hear about it.

98 Fern Green M3/2 - Precision 6870/AR Designs Twin Scroll/RK/E85
    2017 Toyota Tundra Crewmaxx - Family Whip
    2011 Pierce 75' Quint - Fire Apparatus West Islip FD

My Cars
    '93 e36 race car
    Any feedback on the RTD shifter? Do these tunnel mounted shifter require aluminum tranny and engine mounts? Or they work well with hard poly mounts?

My Cars
    My E36 supercar
    Quote Originally Posted by Allona View Post
    Any feedback on the RTD shifter? Do these tunnel mounted shifter require aluminum tranny and engine mounts? Or they work well with hard poly mounts?

Also for the above poster;

I have both the mini and race lever. First drove with the race lever and now currently with the mini lever.

It depends on a few factors such as; where you sit in relation to the shift knob plus feel. The race lever has more leverage thus it's easier to shift vs the mini lever which takes more muscle. The mini lever also shortens the throw by approx .5" combined full range vs the race lever. I'm liking it and this is in comparison to my previous AKG Stage II. I actually would like to try a 330 mm length lever which in due time will be available. I also plan on getting a custom knob made.

You can easily get away with something other than all aluminum mounts, but forget about OE. Then it depends if you street, street/track or all track the car.

My Cars
    98 Turbo M3, 04 E53 X5
    Quote Originally Posted by E36forever View Post
    Also for the above poster;

I have both the mini and race lever. First drove with the race lever and now currently with the mini lever.

It depends on a few factors such as; where you sit in relation to the shift knob plus feel. The race lever has more leverage thus it's easier to shift vs the mini lever which takes more muscle. The mini lever also shortens the throw by approx .5" combined full range vs the race lever. I'm liking it and this is in comparison to my previous AKG Stage II. I actually would like to try a 330 mm length lever which in due time will be available. I also plan on getting a custom knob made.

You can easily get away with something other than all aluminum mounts, but forget about OE. Then it depends if you street, street/track or all track the car.
    Do you have the "swappable version" ? Im wondering if its loosening up on you at all.

98 Fern Green M3/2 - Precision 6870/AR Designs Twin Scroll/RK/E85
    2017 Toyota Tundra Crewmaxx - Family Whip
    2011 Pierce 75' Quint - Fire Apparatus West Islip FD

My Cars
    My E36 supercar
    Quote Originally Posted by NY98M3 View Post
    Do you have the "swappable version" ? Im wondering if its loosening up on you at all.
    I don't and I didn't think it was available yet. Being able to swap out different levers is a nice feature but it can cause issues if someone fails to do the install correctly. Once the individual settles on the lever it's unlikely they would ever switch it out again. With that said it's best to have it solid and not interchangeable IMO, which leaves no chance of it coming loose.

The pivot joint to the shift rod is also being upgraded.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast