Page 24 of 34 FirstFirst ... 1415161718192021222324252627282930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: Return of an Original Gangsta

My Cars
    E30M3,318is,318i,E21320
    Welcome guys. Here's a very short clip Dad took with his tablet from the balcony on pit road. Entering the front straight.

88 M3
    91 318is
    91 318i
    83 320is
    08 X3 3.0si

"If it flys, floats, or f*cks, rent it!"

My Cars
    E30M3,318is,318i,E21320
    Well since the 320 is exempt from further inspections (past 35yrs old) I put on stands to assess damage of the shifter failure. When the link broke we noticed a chunk out of the flex disc but it held the last day of track use. I started removing the flex disc when it just fell apart Uhh also noticed had a piece of that bubble foil material and a piece of conveyor mat under the rear muffler; yup bad idea lol.

DIY dtm style shifter.
    The shifter I had was shortest throw without contacting the driveshaft. Some will shorten the lever and call it a short shifter which I guess technically can call it that with decreased movement. The better way is the other distance on the underside of the pivot ball. Increase the length under the pivot ball shortens throw and keeps the lever closer to the driver ie taller. If go to far the transmission link gets out of plane with the transmission. This is what causes notchy feel some experience when change levers from other models etc. Stock shifter bottom pivot to ball centerline is 1.5" long. My welded old e21parts shifter was 2.5". This newer shifter I extended further than the pic to 2.75" making it how i'd like it, and the shortest shifter I've seen yet. Made a new center link double shear style like later cars aftermarket. Used some leftover track rod between two 1/8" plates and 3/4" moly ends with 1/2" bolts.

Longer lever up top keeps the throw from being super short to not know what gear your aiming for and keeps ergonomics of close to the steering wheel. Hand doesn't have to travel far to be on the lever. Another item is when shortening the throw it helps to have a weighted knob. This gives the longer lever a bit of mass making rowing gears even easier. I like to use a 1.25" or 1.5" piece of sleeve. This time I used a 1.5" diameter sleeve leftover from a snowplow rig. Spaced the sleeve about 1/8" above the tube and welded up the top gives a bit more mass. The lever is just leftover track rod 3/4 dia moly tube .060 wall and 1/2-20 threads on one end. The heim is a high angle (60ish degrees) qa1 moly in 1/2". Some custom cut 1/8" plate and these left over pieces I essentially made this at $0 cost. These parts are super cheap though if want to copy it. I think the heim was less than $15, and even a long piece of track rod tubing swedged already is like another $10.

Now to make another aluminum cover and boot for it.

Inspected welds and other things when around the car. Can't find anything in distress yet. All good. Time to start on some other little things before March. Oh here's a pic of that rotor button IE sells made like this. Deletes the internal resistor.

Last edited by autox320; 02-16-2019 at 02:57 PM.
    88 M3
    91 318is
    91 318i
    83 320is
    08 X3 3.0si

My Cars
    91 318is - 83 320is
    I'm digging the shifter assembly you put together, looks good.
    91 318is
    83 320is

My Cars
    79 320/6 81320i 65malibu

I have done this one . . .

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by autox320 View Post
    If anybody see's something and want to know what it is, just ask.

So Jody - don't all these post-its blow off and out the window?
    Last edited by OLD MAN; 02-18-2019 at 09:22 PM.

Always FUN TO DRIVE - Build Thread & Tech info - 79 320/6 track car build thread -- Videos of track car -Adam in car Auto-x video - Start-up video - 4/2011 Adam's TOP BMW time San Diego BMWCCA - 4-5-15 Dyno break-in run new M20B25 - Exhaust Thread - Link

My Cars
    E30M3,318is,318i,E21320
    Quote Originally Posted by OLD MAN View Post

I have done this one . . .

- - - Updated - - -

So Jody - don't all these post-its blow off and out the wind?

Was a bit surprised the flex disc held up. Bet a few more laps would of disintegrated it.
    88 M3
    91 318is
    91 318i
    83 320is
    08 X3 3.0si

My Cars
    E30M3,318is,318i,E21320
    Vband and exhaust reinstalled with better fit. After mocking up the vband for a perfect fit welded up, and the other end of the exhaust mounted tight; the center section was under stress. Made a relief cut on one of the rear elbow welds to let it conform how it needed, then zipped it back together. Changed out all bake pads for the autocross Centric sports again. Will install the E30 rear bias valve and bleed the system.

Some weights of our arms since everything was off for inspection of bolts and bearings. Main arms could be lighter if used 1/4 plate vs 3/8 but not too bad.

Weights in lbs

3/4 QA1 SLB spherical + CP12 moly cup, circlip

Main control arm+3/4 spherical+hardware

Forward stay arm
    88 M3
    91 318is
    91 318i
    83 320is
    08 X3 3.0si

My Cars
    79 320/6 81320i 65malibu
    Looking Good!

What AFR gauge are you using? Is it fast reacting?

Always FUN TO DRIVE - Build Thread & Tech info - 79 320/6 track car build thread -- Videos of track car -Adam in car Auto-x video - Start-up video - 4/2011 Adam's TOP BMW time San Diego BMWCCA - 4-5-15 Dyno break-in run new M20B25 - Exhaust Thread - Link

My Cars
    E30M3,318is,318i,E21320
    Quote Originally Posted by OLD MAN View Post
    Looking Good!

What AFR gauge are you using? Is it fast reacting?
    I've only ever liked the NGK AFX over all the others. Placed well and fast with accuracy IMO. No fancy display just what you really need to see; the digits Uses the most common WBO2 NGK sensor which Honda guys and dyno's have been using for so many years.
    88 M3
    91 318is
    91 318i
    83 320is
    08 X3 3.0si

My Cars
    1983 e21, 2018 440i
    I have innovate mtx-l and i dont like that wideband. It goes into heat up cycle every time you cycle the ignition.

So if you stall your car you want have wideband for 10-20 seconds.

In addition my sensor died after two seasons and maybe 3000 miles. I guess because it was going into heat up cycle to often.

I will go with AEM this time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    91 318is - 83 320is
    I've heard the same issue for Innovate, and that the AEM is the one to get. I need to read up on the NGK one though.
    91 318is
    83 320is

My Cars
    E30M3,318is,318i,E21320
    Quote Originally Posted by captain awesome View Post
    I've heard the same issue for Innovate, and that the AEM is the one to get. I need to read up on the NGK one though.
    Yup I swear they've had the same issues since early 2000. First looked into widebands for the e30m3 tuning alphaN. The NGK seemed the best option then and still using it today. It's been in that car for years. Replaced the sensor after 5yrs just for the heck of it. I've been running on a newer sensor for the 320 since the beginning of the engines life. So far so good.
    88 M3
    91 318is
    91 318i
    83 320is
    08 X3 3.0si

My Cars
    E30M3,318is,318i,E21320
    Finally tackled lots of little things on the car. Then started on major ones that bothered me. Tying the pedal box into the bulkhead. Was fun with restricted space to weld a bracket onto top of the pedal assembly to bolt it into the bulkhead. Then added weld to the tubing and bulkhead. I thought there was some flex when on the brakes hard but actually my lady was helping bleed brakes and noticed. She looked at the longest point at the end of the clutch pedal when pushing brakes hard. The clutch pedal deflected over half an inch. So fixed that before we broke something

Another major was the rear brake bias. The knob is fully out and still too much rear bias. Only way to really fix it is decrease rear brake force ie piston size. Running numbers through a bias calculator decided to swap to standard e30 rear calipers at 33mm vs the VW ones we're running 38mm. Funny enough the VW's with bracket are 4.3 lbs which I thought was pretty light. Until I weighed a stock e30 steel rear caliper in at 4.6 lbs. Hah so there's that. I made brackets out of 1/4" plate and beveled both edges to seam it on.

Started in on the driverside today and will hopefully finish up the passenger side to match. Going with high heat flat black paint for the stealth look.

88 M3
    91 318is
    91 318i
    83 320is
    08 X3 3.0si

My Cars
    91 318is - 83 320is
    Looks good! I really need to get my spare hubs pulled so my cousin can machine them down. Still doing some measuring and head scratching before I bother though as I think there's some issues I'll need to address first.
    91 318is
    83 320is

My Cars
    E30M3,318is,318i,E21320
    Quote Originally Posted by captain awesome View Post
    Looks good! I really need to get my spare hubs pulled so my cousin can machine them down. Still doing some measuring and head scratching before I bother though as I think there's some issues I'll need to address first.
    Since machinists are more OCD than us, it's best to just give them the actual parts. They prefer their own measuring, which I'd completely understand. Buy a set of early golf rabbit front rotors and drop them off with the hubs. I mentioned few posts back they will need a quick zip of a drill through the rotor holes to fit on studs. After all it's cast iron so super easy to take care of in a few seconds.
    88 M3
    91 318is
    91 318i
    83 320is
    08 X3 3.0si

My Cars
    E30M3,318is,318i,E21320
    Shot some carb cleaner through the jets of the carb. Fired up, warmed up, made a few test runs to adjust the brakes. Much much better. Car seems to stop better and the bias valve is over half way in to start locking the rears now. Our car weight distribution is 55% front 45% rear on the scales. Under hard braking it's probably dipping below 40% in the rear easy. The e30 rear 33mm calipers and pads seem to be within range of the bias knob doing something now. Fronts are 48mm just like factory 320 calipers.

A basic bias calculator lets you see what changes affect what for an idea what to do. I plugged in figures into this calculator. http://www.tceperformanceproducts.com/bias-calculator/
    88 M3
    91 318is
    91 318i
    83 320is
    08 X3 3.0si

My Cars
    E30M3,318is,318i,E21320
    Planning to run the first Day event for autox season. Couple beers later Dad and I found time to whip up a shifter cover. Added a second set of 15x8 TR wheels to mount the Federal RR's on. Yes thats mounting a 205/50 tire on a 8" wheel. Perfect. Factory 15x7 RA wheels still for sale if anyone wants them. Will probably have them at the Vintage, and if not they aren't far away here at the garage if interested. Especially if staying in town at the Clarion hotel usually used by the Vintage, we are two exits away.

88 M3
    91 318is
    91 318i
    83 320is
    08 X3 3.0si

My Cars
    E30M3,318is,318i,E21320
    Car did well last weekend. If count actual cars (not purpose built rail machines) that ran that day we were up there placing 6th out of 50+ drivers.

No failures on the car itself, but the gopro refused to work. After dicking with it at home, decided it was time for it to rest in peace. Maybe that 78mph crash into the wall at VIR with the M3 finally took it's toll on it lol. Ordered a new gopro7.

Car ran great then didn't want to idle. Suspected a fuel issue again but finished out the day feathering at the start line. After back home pulled the carb top plate off and back flushed the idle holes into the bowl. Idle holes are the smallest jets on the car so they get clogged first. Looks like debris from either the top plate gasket holes eroding or maybe inside the surge tank. Replaced the top plate gasket with a new synthetic one. Replaced the main fuel filter and cut it open to see what it's made of and if the source. Nope it's fine. Added a second inline filter at the carb inlet. Suspect small debris in the surge tank somehow could be from the pumps etc. Looks like sawdust gasket junk under a magnifier. Could be from when made the surge tank I initially used gasohol on the fittings, but removed them to JB weld and make permanent. Some of the gasohol gunk could be in the system. Filter should keep from happening again. No trouble when on the go pedal or tapping the throttle to keep running. Main jets are so big probably could flush on through

Sorted a small oil leak on the separator can. The bottom was coming unscrewed somehow with the mounting orientation probably the hoses making it turn open.

Shifter was a bit off and couldn't bang second gear if rung out first all the way to redline. Trans mount is about solid so relocated the shifter by 1/2" making it more inline with a new mount hole.

Brakes were fantastic. The new bias allowed diving deeper into turns after WOT in second gear without worry of spinning out.
    88 M3
    91 318is
    91 318i
    83 320is
    08 X3 3.0si

My Cars
    83 320 82 320
    My getrag 260 hates shifting into 2nd when first is above 5k rpm. I did my first of the season track day last week. It rained but was still fun.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    E30M3,318is,318i,E21320
    Shifter works sweet now; can redline any gear and reach the next one instantly. Wrapping first and banging second so quick the rears break free is my fav thing on autox starting out the gate. Car naturally wanes right when slamming first to second with both rears spinning a second, which usually is the first cone jog then a straight line on day series courses . Allows leaving the gate flat out which is how I like it.

Still found a few things in the carb bowl. Cleaned it out again and will keep an eye with the new carb filter. Thought we had a crack in the intake for the base plate heater circuit. Turns out was just more junk in the carb bowl but haven't seen anything for a couple runs now. Put a ball valve on the baseplate circuit to mess with shutting it off. Deciding to just delete it permanently after testing. Just too much heat soak in the manifold and carb base the way we're using it. To the point the carb base and manifold could burn your hand hot. Bought another manifold from a nice Gent on the 2002faq board to make up as a spare anyways.

Also deleting the air oil separator vacuum line to the manifold also. Plugs just getting too dirty. Back of the valves were also seeing buildup I didn't like. Some testing with that we are at 3/4 - wot most of the time, so divorcing the line from the manifold keeps oil fumes from the motor. As much as I like the idea of it vacuuming the crank case it just wasn't doing it often .

So 4 ends to terminate.
    Back of the head fitting was cut and plug welded up.
    Water pump end was cut tapped and plugged with a short bolt and JB weld.
    AOS can was capped using a fitting with sealant.
    Intake manifold fitting removed, sanded and JB welded up the hole. Removed the coolant fittings and will cap off.

Distributor had a bad o-ring so replaced it.
    Found another use for speed limit signs as dividers in the track box.

88 M3
    91 318is
    91 318i
    83 320is
    08 X3 3.0si

My Cars
    E30M3,318is,318i,E21320
    Memorial Day tomorrow. Take at least a moment to wrap your brain for those who ultimate sacrificed so you can sip your latte with first world problems.

After JB weld dried and some gaskets, we're back in business. Made a test drive to warm up and recheck distributor timing since had it out. Was good, so started giving hell to make something happen. Few hard launches, no lift gear changes, handful of tire burning gear changes, couple hard doughnuts. All seems well, so loading up for another day autox event next week.

Gopro7 is super nice compared to the old models. We'll see how it holds up but its leaps and bounds over all the previous older models.

Yup our fuel cans are empty, so time to pay up for more go sauce.

88 M3
    91 318is
    91 318i
    83 320is
    08 X3 3.0si

My Cars
    E30M3,318is,318i,E21320
    Running mystery solved! Found what looks like oil and dirty fuel in the last can was fueling with. Highly suspect is the pump gas supplier, cause the race gas is higher standard. When mixing fuels this can be an issue and looks like we were bitten by it. Not sure how this got in there along with some dirt crud. After seeing this warranted draining the car to see if anymore is in there. Easily done with the master switch allowing to prime the pumps without the ignition on. Hooked up a line to the surge tank and drained it first. Kept pouring into a quart jar to inspect and transfer into a clean container. Did the same with the main fuel tank and both nothing. Added some clean gas in the end to be sure it would pickup junk if in the bottom of the tanks. Nothing else found.

There's a layer of crud on top, then the distinct blue color of Sunoco leaded 112 mixed with 93 pump gas making it light blue, then yellow oily crud on the bottom. There was about 1/2 quart total of this stuff. The debris look like outside rim of the jar, but are inside.

I swear when cleaning the idle jets once I thought saw what looked like oil and not fuel, confirms not crazy lol. This stuff was clogging the idle jets instantly even after two filters . Somehow even the debris were getting past the first filter which makes me question the bosch e30 standard filter haha. Not sure how was doing that cause even when cut open it was sealed by o-rings on each end etc. Maybe a bad filter and wasn't really sealed is my guess. Can't even trust oem filters these days, whats the world coming to.

88 M3
    91 318is
    91 318i
    83 320is
    08 X3 3.0si

My Cars
    E30M3,318is,318i,E21320
    Have a small issue with our throttle cable connection to the gas pedal, but plan to remedy that asap this weekend.
    Another day event down, and I'm finally realizing we are leaving a few seconds on the table using the Federal tires. They just take too much to get heated up to stick well. And even then when fully hot they aren't very sticky like I thought they'd be. Most are conquering the course with Bridgestone RE71R's, so planning to move to a set.
    Still running on some older last years fuel 3/4 tank this event, but kept mixing in a few new gallons at lunch to help it make it through.

Bottom corner of this course was tight as hell for us lol, but always a fun challenge.
    Last edited by autox320; 06-05-2019 at 02:26 PM.
    88 M3
    91 318is
    91 318i
    83 320is
    08 X3 3.0si

My Cars
    E30M3,318is,318i,E21320
    Bit of whine noise out of the drivetrain last event. Suspect the diff or 2nd gear of the trans. Looking at the diff it had a nice film on it where it's been puking out of the breather. Fluid was low and very very done ie black. This is a common issue with tracking a car or pushing hard. Even with using quality thinner synthetic amsoil severe gear or longlife fluids. They take the heat but will puke, so a aftermarket extended breather is needed. Best thing to do is drill out and extend the breather into the trunk. I used two brass fittings. Instead of braising them together I tapped internal of one to 8mm and the external of another to screw into each other. Notched the internal fitting back side to match the factory breather tube. Some sealant on the threads and thats that. A line extending into the trunk with a filter on it.

Tackled our throttle cable and gave it a little more attention to detail. First was the mount bracket. The hole usually has a slot so mocked up in the vise with a aluminum bushing, then welded it closed and precise fit the hole. Then added a 3/16 rod brace across the backing to keep from bending stress. On the inside put a piece of 3/16 rod to trap the cable hook in a tight fit.

88 M3
    91 318is
    91 318i
    83 320is
    08 X3 3.0si

My Cars
    E30M3,318is,318i,E21320
    Adding further to the fuel filter drama. Went to replace the inline clear filter on the carb bought from the local auto store. Took it off and went to shake out the remaining fuel before putting in the trash. The filter rattled around inside the plastic. It wasn't actually sealed to the face inside meaning it wasn't doing ANYTHING! How cheap can we get on auto parts . The cheapness has no end. I cut it open to find the cheap dab of goo they used to "seal" it to the outlet on ONE small spot. The fuel broke down dissolving the cheap sealant and allowed everything to just bypass the element right into the carb bowl.

Beers in hand, ordered a batch of 5/16 inline filters from WIX. A brand I trust, and it's fully bonded to the seat inside. WIX FTW. Planning to buy a end all be all filter for the rear at the pumps. A quick call to my bro and going with a proven marine grade setup. Cause not going through this again

New set of Bridgestone RE71R's mounted on the 8's. Plan to scrub them in soon, then open for business.

Cheapest garbage just unbelievable; profit margins that tight? GTFO

No BS WIX

New shoes
    88 M3
    91 318is
    91 318i
    83 320is
    08 X3 3.0si

My Cars
    1977 320i
    I'm buying a few of those filters, my generic one was making me nervous even before reading this. A life spent in the aviation world has basically ruined my ability to just "leave well enough alone"

Page 24 of 34 FirstFirst ... 1415161718192021222324252627282930313233 ... LastLast