Page 23 of 34 FirstFirst ... 131415161718192021222324252627282930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: Return of an Original Gangsta

My Cars
    E30M3,318is,318i,E21320
    Crap I haven't been posting much cause just too busy from all angles. Truth be told I did retime the cam again cause well had to know an assumption of noticing change in slightly leaner afr when running 111 or 112 degrees. Tried to jet more fuel and even add more timing. Wasn't worth it . Long story short on that put back at 110 and jet up a step now at 195 mains and 220 air correctors. Gents it pulls like a freakin train to 7500. It feels quicker than any other time thus far and that seems impossible but true . I'm bringing a slew of other jets with me anticipating one step up for VIR since elevation is 1600ft lower than me.

Another thought on the cam liking stock 110 is porting and valve size is actually pretty large on a M10. It likes the earlier intake close. For once looking at the schrick charts shows this as well. Larger cams being timed early close even 108 degrees.

Track ready but took awhile to get there. An issue with removing the covers so much is oil leaks and gaskets just suck. Pieces of gasket and chunks of rtv carefully removed each time just took too many beers and aggravation. Shop vac and rtv with razor blades it just had to be better. Called my bro who is a master captain of his own 44ft sailboat. He's pretty handy when wrenching maintenance on his diesel. Told him my issues and he gave me a trick to try. Flexshot/flexseal. Sounds funny but to update the valve cover the best would be a silicone or oring style gasket. No such thing so make one. Use flexshot and run a even bead on a very clean surface valve cover. Even the stud holes. Once setup overnight it is a permanent and removable cover where the gasket stays on it. Super cool and impressed how well it holds up. I've removed it 4 times so far after reaching temp and just wow wtf. Actually impervious to oil and if he runs on his diesels you know it can handle nasty detergents. Temp wise flexshot/flexseal will handle +450F your engine will melt down before it fails. This makes valve cover removal jobs super quick now. I tried it on the front upper timing cover and my head gasket is just too much interference. I trimmed it away and used black rtv instead. The corners are an issue for me but sealed it.

Rescaled and balanced the car with a final alignment. Had dad in and out the passenger seat to see the difference while on scales. He got out and the cross weights only changed 15 lbs. I rubbed my eyes and pushed on the car to settle it. Still 15 lbs difference haha. Beers and thought yup don't change anything. I kept it plus 15 lbs to allow for fuel loss between sessions it should stay closest to 0 cross weight.

Did runs with the cowl induction air cleaner. Put streamers on the edge of the hood. Seems to suck them in about 40mph and above. Good enough for me

Rigged another carter pump on the trailer and made it a fuel station for dropping in a line into the cans. I have a hot switch off the trailer battery, and a momentary ground switch on a hand held tube with the line in it. No need to lift cans to refuel unless have to. Less hassles IMO.

Helped my buddy setup his e36 racer for the same track day. Will hopefully see my other buddy to get rides, instruct and drive the rig to see what he thinks. Can't wait it's next weekend VIR Oktoberfast full course. If anyone visits and wants a ride come find us. Best on Sunday when things are sorted more. Long as sign the track waver then welcome to ride with us as a passenger.

88 M3
    91 318is
    91 318i
    83 320is
    08 X3 3.0si

"If it flys, floats, or f*cks, rent it!"

My Cars
    91 318is - 83 320is
    Did I miss the post with the steering hub adapter stuff?
    91 318is
    83 320is

My Cars
    E30M3,318is,318i,E21320
    Quote Originally Posted by captain awesome View Post
    Did I miss the post with the steering hub adapter stuff?
    Maybe; it was near the beginning. I couldn't find or want to pay for a spline adapter when had an extra stock wheel laying around. I cut the aluminum spline circle center out and made my own adapter out of 1/8" steel and some 1.5" roll bar tubing. Most adapters are just expensive for what you get and still need length to get close enough to the seat position.
    88 M3
    91 318is
    91 318i
    83 320is
    08 X3 3.0si

My Cars
    91 318is - 83 320is
    Quote Originally Posted by autox320 View Post
    Maybe; it was near the beginning. I couldn't find or want to pay for a spline adapter when had an extra stock wheel laying around. I cut the aluminum spline circle center out and made my own adapter out of 1/8" steel and some 1.5" roll bar tubing. Most adapters are just expensive for what you get and still need length to get close enough to the seat position.
    Nice. I was thinking of picking up a stock steering wheel to mess with if I get one cheap enough. I think a Momo adapter is $60+ last time I checked.
    91 318is
    83 320is

My Cars
    E30M3,318is,318i,E21320
    Awesome. . . VIR full course,

We had a blast giving the 320 hell all weekend. Lots of positive comments about it on and off track. Dad couldn't drive since had thumb surgery where they reconstructed one joint and another had to be fused.

My friend Daniel brought his E36 325 (2.8L swap) to run in the same group. My long time friend Peter arrived for Saturday to instruct both of us and drive the 320 a few laps himself.

Brake bias and oil temps at track speed was small issues but dealt with it. Naturally with Pete he braked harder initially (Schumacher) and we quickly found wanted less rear brake than first thought. Few turns of the knob made a huge difference as expected. Oil temps were breaching my comfort level but not catastrophic. I'd like for the oil to stay 240-250F. When drove approx 5+ hot laps it rested at 255-260F. This Oct weekend was particularly hot seeing 93F in the paddock Sunday.

Saturday only 2 sessions in and the main fuel pump was already failing. I didn't know, so jet the carb a step up thinking just needed bigger jets.The carter pump that was brand new (now china made go figure). Was so hot we had to wait for it to cool to remove it. Sure it had some heat build up from head pressure from the float of the carb but i've never seen one this hot. The car went from being great to sputtering lacking fuel. Pit early, we swapped with the spare carter pump that was on the trailer (USA made 2014?). Another pump, the car was now running rich mostly and a bit down on power. Huge flames out the exhaust on deceleration. So 2 sessions of that; swapped the original jets back in.

All was well and finished out Saturday. Fueled up, then called it a night with dinner and brews. We knew we need an oil cooler as the temps reached up to 260F. Discussed we'll keep eyes on it but should live. LiqiMoly oil can handle it. Some sessions we backed out early to let the temps fall off before the cool lap. Soon as foot was out of it temps came right down. Oil levels were perfect all weekend, but I over filled it 1/4qt just in case. It stayed at the same mark on the stick all weekend.

Sunday morning before the initial meeting I went to start the car just to put a touch of heat in it and ready it for the day beatings. It wouldn't stay running . Dad said to pull the dist cap and clean out the carbon build up. Sure enough it had lots of dust in there from spinning rpms with a hot coil. Just for good measure I put a new cap and rotor on it. Then pulled the plugs and they were black from the over jetting day before. Put a new set of iridiums in. Ran better but still hesitated only at idle. Pulled the jets out and idle jets out to clean them. Put back in and it was happy. Probably had a build up on the idles. Looked like crud from the leaded gas . So a quick 20min of work and we just made it to the morning driver meeting.

First session Sunday things were going awesome. Then as we're barreling down the front straight 4th gear I went to hit 5th. . . the shifter broke . We coasted into T1 and cut some grass to get out of the way. Towed to our paddock spot.

This next part happens a lot in the paddock, but to a visitor may go unnoticed. You need something to keep going and racers lend you a hand or anything to keep running. Camaraderie of the group is awesome and hits home. Jacked up the car and found dangling shifter parts. It was the bottom segment of the lever sheared clean off the bottom of the ball. Luckily it was still held by the pins and clips onto the link. This was a modified E21 shifter that was welded back in early 2000's for autox to give the shortest throw possible from e21parts. Lasted this long but wasn't happy with the new rig and broke at the tig weld .

I walked over to the specE30 guys right across from us to ask for a shift lever. Anything could probably be made to work. Alex located and offered up two assemblies right away. Alex is an avid E30 racer and always seems to find us when at the track to chat about cars. Mostly the E30M3. He actually met us unloading when we arrived late Friday night. Alex and his parents stopped by after the VIntage to see the E21 being built on the rotisserie.

The E30 shifter link was just too close to the ball and didn't fit cause I moved my shift tray so high. It would of been a serious long throw if reached, but just couldn't make it work.

Was thinking of what to do next, when Alex's mom came over and re-introducing me to the Legend Al Taylor. I say re-intro cause I remembered Al after a quick twilight zone episode moment. I first met Al at the Westbend vineyard during the first Vintage at the Vineyards meets. I also remembered he is a avid parts hoarder . Long story short he opened up his trunk full of parts and says "I don't have a shifter here but will go back to my house and get ya one." I said what? lol your kidding Al. He's like "nope probably take me 20min or so but I'll bring it over to ya" I offered to pay and he accepted.

Bout a half hour later Al rolls right up to our car and had an actual early E21 shifter lever. Of course we were kinda stunned anyone would have such a thing, but I knew Al would deliver. It was a super cool moment. I was stunned a few sec on the whole transaction and many thanks. Didn't waste any time. Tried to separate my shifter top from the bottom by the "Jesus clip" blind circlip. Quickly put the screwdriver through the end of my thumb. Daniel took over as I bled out and we mounted the levers in a C-clamp on the trailer table. Few min he swapped them over. Barely got the shifter back on the link under the car. Had to swap the bushing for my solid bronze ones and it fit. It was so close to the carrier the way I had a piece of 1" square tubing across the tunnel. Dad rowed gears and I checked clearance. He could only get 1 and 3 . The link hit the 1" cross tube for other gears.

I looked at it and told Dad I'll find a way to notch the tube if I can. Went back over to Alex's Dad and asked for a grinder with cut off wheel. To my surprise he quickly pulls one out with most of a wheel already on it. Ran his extension cords over across the lane to our side and were 10ft short. He says "no problem Jody I've a generator...here" He grabs it and carries it over next to the car while I rig up a tarp inside shielding across the windshield, gauges, and electronics. Few minutes later and some surgery removed the offender center section of tube. The shifter now works, so drove up the access road to test. Longer throws but hell who cares! we can go back out for more fun.

Made two more sessions ending out the day. We packed up early skipping the last session, cause the schedule ran so late.. Car ran a total of 8 sessions or about 4hrs track time. Somewhere just north of +200ish track miles logged in success. I'd call it a project win. Working on vids to post.
    88 M3
    91 318is
    91 318i
    83 320is
    08 X3 3.0si

My Cars
    E30M3,318is,318i,E21320
    Saturday with my buddy Pete.

Saturday with Dad; we go off and cut some grass in T10 during this session

Sunday morning first session clip; breaking the shift lever

Sunday exiting a side by side drill; had Daniel beside me during an exercise where we take 2 laps going around the inside of the track and he stays on the outside, then 2 laps we switch. The start of the vid is end of the side by side and we go green; I signal to do a quick drag race down the straight. His car pulls once gets in 5th so eventually he walks me and gets a nice gap.

Sunday; Daniel takes a ride before we pack up to head home.
    88 M3
    91 318is
    91 318i
    83 320is
    08 X3 3.0si

My Cars
    91 318is - 83 320is
    Awesome stuff Jody!

I'm really excited to get mine prepped for Hallett outside of Tulsa next season.
    91 318is
    83 320is

My Cars
    83 320 82 320
    Awesome looks like you had a blast. Getting some tire lift in the rear ?

My Cars
    E30M3,318is,318i,E21320
    Thanks guys, it was a lot of fun. Finally getting Dad on track in a car he helped build. Even he was a bit skeptical cause he only autocrossed it. I'd been testing the car a few times after moved the control arms to setup for more stability track use. I felt a bit rusty driving, but like any HPDE driver we fair best on Sunday afternoon

Quote Originally Posted by m60b30530i View Post
    Getting some tire lift in the rear ?
    The time we went off I feel was rear wheel lock still and I tweaked the bias again end of the back straight. In general it's light in the rear yes, and roll center is low as I can make it without ridiculous rear camber. When in turns your really loading the one tire hard and the other may spin. LSD keeps it from being bad though.
    Brake wise I'm actually contemplating trying a e30 dynamic bias valve for the rear brake line. Things change mainly rear tires getting hot which they work harder with low roll digging in hard. Fuel load is another which is small because we filled after each session. Not sure yet if I'll mess with it. Obviously first I need to make a shifter linkage to survive my style. I knew during the build should of tossed the factory modified shifter.
    88 M3
    91 318is
    91 318i
    83 320is
    08 X3 3.0si

My Cars
    '78 320i
    Is this thing as fast as it looks? so awesome man

My Cars
    83 320i 00 540i6 85 535i
    Jody- AWESOME! Car looks competitive! Is this it's inaugural track run? I had enough time to make it 5/6 through the first video- will return to check out the rest.
    Did you an Pete have audio communication? If so, would love to have heard that- I am sure it was appropriate...
    Also- novice here, but I did not see a speedometer and could you toss up a pic with the view the camera had and and point out the instruments and bits in there? So much to look at and monitor!!!

Congrats and thank you for sharing!

My Cars
    E30M3,318is,318i,E21320
    Quote Originally Posted by jaredmac11 View Post
    Is this thing as fast as it looks? so awesome man
    Not sure how to answer that It's quick enough for what it is?

Quote Originally Posted by Bonsaibacker View Post
    Jody- AWESOME! Car looks competitive! Is this it's inaugural track run? I had enough time to make it 5/6 through the first video- will return to check out the rest.
    Did you an Pete have audio communication? If so, would love to have heard that- I am sure it was appropriate...
    Also- novice here, but I did not see a speedometer and could you toss up a pic with the view the camera had and and point out the instruments and bits in there? So much to look at and monitor!!!

Congrats and thank you for sharing!
    Hey Eric, yes this is the first time it's ever seen a track. . . ever. Yes Pete and I had a communicator with audio and mic in our helmets. He was holding the comm unit in the vid. Yeah it's not recorded lol but use imagination and it's probably what was said.
    A speedo is cool but I never drive by one so didn't add for track use. The AIM SOLO unit Pete put in Saturday bottom right of windscreen will give tons of data for that day. If he finds time he'll compile some and give speeds etc.

Hmmm here's some of the gauges real quick using paint. If anybody see's something and want to know what it is, just ask.

Jetting at the track

Cutting out part of the shift carrier with an angle grinder

88 M3
    91 318is
    91 318i
    83 320is
    08 X3 3.0si

My Cars
    83 320 82 320
    The time we went off I feel was rear wheel lock still and I tweaked the bias again end of the back straight. In general it's light in the rear yes, and roll center is low as I can make it without ridiculous rear camber. When in turns your really loading the one tire hard and the other may spin. LSD keeps it from being bad though.
    Brake wise I'm actually contemplating trying a e30 dynamic bias valve for the rear brake line. Things change mainly rear tires getting hot which they work harder with low roll digging in hard. Fuel load is another which is small because we filled after each session. Not sure yet if I'll mess with it. Obviously first I need to make a shifter linkage to survive my style. I knew during the build should of tossed the factory modified shifter.
    Nice, I was asking only because my e21 has some decent rear tire lift. No lsd at the moment but I have one going in.

My Cars
    79 320/6 81320i 65malibu
    GREAT VIDEOS ! ! !

Looks like you had a great time.

pesky mustangs -

Always FUN TO DRIVE - Build Thread & Tech info - 79 320/6 track car build thread -- Videos of track car -Adam in car Auto-x video - Start-up video - 4/2011 Adam's TOP BMW time San Diego BMWCCA - 4-5-15 Dyno break-in run new M20B25 - Exhaust Thread - Link

My Cars
    E30M3,318is,318i,E21320
    Quote Originally Posted by OLD MAN View Post
    GREAT VIDEOS ! ! !

Looks like you had a great time.

pesky mustangs -

Thanks Daryl we did have a blast. Car did great overall. Yeah a couple mustangs were booted from the group going off too much but the last few were great to share track space with. Was a bit surprised to get points on twisties and I'd make sure to give them the straights.
    88 M3
    91 318is
    91 318i
    83 320is
    08 X3 3.0si

My Cars
    E30M3,318is,318i,E21320
    Few track day pics from VIR. Chris at Finishline productions always provides to purchase some action pics of NASA events.

About the only thing I've added to the car is now keeping a few sets of rotor buttons. I learned the stock rotor buttons have a resistor of about 5k ohms under the epoxy. Honestly never knew or thought about this but a quick search shows VW guys knew this a long time. With high output ignitions the rotor takes a beating and eventually dies early death. A search and found some ready made on Ireland's website. Sure I can notch out the epoxy and put a bridge wire to the tip, but for a few bucks saves me the time. Besides the IE ones have a nice fat brass bridge basically solid brass strap for a button. Plan to add a setrab oil cooler before anymore events next year. I've had so much going on since the track day I honestly haven't even inspected the car after the event. It's just sitting in the garage covered in sheets with ghost eyes drawn on it saying the words "boo" from Halloween

88 M3
    91 318is
    91 318i
    83 320is
    08 X3 3.0si

My Cars
    91 318is - 83 320is
    Looking good Jody!

I just want to thank you again for posting all the minutia of the build here as it's been an excellent resource for me to thumb through when I need a question answered.
    91 318is
    83 320is

My Cars
    E30M3,318is,318i,E21320
    Quote Originally Posted by captain awesome View Post
    Looking good Jody!

I just want to thank you again for posting all the minutia of the build here as it's been an excellent resource for me to thumb through when I need a question answered.
    Thanks. It's been a really fun project to build. Still hammering on the M3 but things keep getting in the way. Maybe old man winter will be better timing. I still need to post a album link for it. Right now no thread just pics; started on it in May. Cage is about finished.
    88 M3
    91 318is
    91 318i
    83 320is
    08 X3 3.0si

My Cars
    91 318is - 83 320is
    Be sure to post up a link when you do start the thread.

Thanks. It's been a really fun project to build. Still hammering on the M3 but things keep getting in the way. Maybe old man winter will be better timing. I still need to post a album link for it. Right now no thread just pics; started on it in May. Cage is about finished.
    91 318is
    83 320is

My Cars
    82 320i
    I haven't had the time to go through the whole thread but I watched a bit of the video ! that looks so much fun ! ... I know it has a rollcage but, How do you not shit yourself driving that thing with no doors ?

My Cars
    E30M3,318is,318i,E21320
    Quote Originally Posted by ButteDorFrank View Post
    I haven't had the time to go through the whole thread but I watched a bit of the video ! that looks so much fun ! ... I know it has a rollcage but, How do you not shit yourself driving that thing with no doors ?
    Hey thanks man, it's a blast. I get asked this quite a few times actually. Doors hmmm there are open wheel cars without doors. Actually I've see a few hondas run without doors or windows. Some without cage which i'd never do. My personal thinking is full cage seat and harnesses, your held in place; so one extra layer of sheet metal isn't adding to the safety in a crash. Most of the time race cars are a skin of door shell which is just one layer of sheet metal. Sometimes if have funds guys use aluminum, or carbon fiber single layer ltw doors. If not safety then function is just a debris shield. The aluminum skins we have do the same job as the sheet metal being a debris shield for track debris. Those nasty tire boogers, grit, rocks, bolts lol happens, lug nuts, things people loose on track on occasion. Helmet and shield down is best. Another benefit is weight which is why some go through so much $$$$ on ltw door skins. The weight of 2 full loaded doors equal about the full cage weight. Traded doors for cage offset the weight.

Case in point I crashed my other car into a tire wall luckily not an Aramco. The door skin was wrapped around the factory door bar like a taco. The door bar did the work. So during the build exaggerated the use of door bars in the full cage with bowed V's and re-enforced beyond spec with sill bars and gussets. Load paths of the door bars extend to the front suspension triangle, and the rear subframe. Food for thought; In a bad enough crash you'd "tuck in" meaning hands off the wheel and grab your harness to keep limbs from flying around. Legs back off the pedals to keep from breaking feet, ankles etc. Part of why to have the lower bar thats at the foot rest area tie to the suspension triangle. It should prevent the wheel assembly entering there. The dash triangle should keep the motor from entering etc. At that point your glad to have good seating and solid anchor points. Cause your at the mercy of equipment and just along for the ride.

Once again it's been a fun build, please look over the thread. I posted the build to share ideas that may help others.

I've been sick several days with some stomach virus type issues. Still working on the M. Front suspension about sorted ie done. Finalized a shifter design with adjustable throw. I'll post when make one for the 320, just too busy right now. Want to get back on my feet.
    88 M3
    91 318is
    91 318i
    83 320is
    08 X3 3.0si

My Cars
    E30M3,318is,318i,E21320
    what the hell a few M update pics; promise to get back to the 320 soonest :o)

after what feels like 50 motor mockups lol made it how i'll need it;
    custom subframe +1" RC
    lowered motor -1.25"
    lots of moly tubes, qa1 heims; 5/8" mains, 1/2" steering

88 M3
    91 318is
    91 318i
    83 320is
    08 X3 3.0si

My Cars
    82 320i
    Hey thanks man, it's a blast. I get asked this quite a few times actually. Doors hmmm there are open wheel cars without doors. Actually I've see a few hondas run without doors or windows. Some without cage which i'd never do. My personal thinking is full cage seat and harnesses, your held in place; so one extra layer of sheet metal isn't adding to the safety in a crash. Most of the time race cars are a skin of door shell which is just one layer of sheet metal. Sometimes if have funds guys use aluminum, or carbon fiber single layer ltw doors. If not safety then function is just a debris shield. The aluminum skins we have do the same job as the sheet metal being a debris shield for track debris. Those nasty tire boogers, grit, rocks, bolts lol happens, lug nuts, things people loose on track on occasion. Helmet and shield down is best. Another benefit is weight which is why some go through so much $$$$ on ltw door skins. The weight of 2 full loaded doors equal about the full cage weight. Traded doors for cage offset the weight.

Case in point I crashed my other car into a tire wall luckily not an Aramco. The door skin was wrapped around the factory door bar like a taco. The door bar did the work. So during the build exaggerated the use of door bars in the full cage with bowed V's and re-enforced beyond spec with sill bars and gussets. Load paths of the door bars extend to the front suspension triangle, and the rear subframe. Food for thought; In a bad enough crash you'd "tuck in" meaning hands off the wheel and grab your harness to keep limbs from flying around. Legs back off the pedals to keep from breaking feet, ankles etc. Part of why to have the lower bar thats at the foot rest area tie to the suspension triangle. It should prevent the wheel assembly entering there. The dash triangle should keep the motor from entering etc. At that point your glad to have good seating and solid anchor points. Cause your at the mercy of equipment and just along for the ride.

Once again it's been a fun build, please look over the thread. I posted the build to share ideas that may help others.

I've been sick several days with some stomach virus type issues. Still working on the M. Front suspension about sorted ie done. Finalized a shifter design with adjustable throw. I'll post when make one for the 320, just too busy right now. Want to get back on my feet.
    I guess I should have been more specific with my question haha but very good explaination... I know the door isn't there for any added protection, the roll cage is there for that ... but I meant the way that your panel is so much lower than the normal door, probably have better vision and you'd get used to it but it would be scary at first to see the road like that ...

My Cars
    E30M3,318is,318i,E21320
    Quote Originally Posted by ButteDorFrank View Post
    I guess I should have been more specific with my question haha but very good explaination... I know the door isn't there for any added protection, the roll cage is there for that ... but I meant the way that your panel is so much lower than the normal door, probably have better vision and you'd get used to it but it would be scary at first to see the road like that ...

Ah I tend to over reply especially when laid up in a chair for 4days. Yes the lower panels on purpose to egress quicker. It makes it feel like no doors on track which adds to the experience. Closest to an open wheel feel the car will get and its pretty awesome. Nothing like vibrating .040" aluminium for a "door" at triple digits :o)
    88 M3
    91 318is
    91 318i
    83 320is
    08 X3 3.0si

My Cars
    1980 BMW 320i E21 M10B18

Cool

Cool videos thx for sharing, tracks laid out in road racing format have so many classes of cars racing around them its a study in itself.

Randy

Page 23 of 34 FirstFirst ... 131415161718192021222324252627282930313233 ... LastLast