Page 14 of 34 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Return of an Original Gangsta

My Cars
    E30M3,318is,318i,E21320
    Like say few brews in the shop turns out ideas. Dad tidy's up the fenders a bit shaping the back side more. Well Dad was asking about sealing up the front end or are we grabbing high pressure for the duct to the carb and making a airbox for it. Hmmm confirmed with the tape it's a lot longer ways now since the motor is back. So only other spot that makes a shorter route is like the muscle guys do it near the cowl. Use the high pressure zone base of the windshield. I've not finished it but it's close. My bowtie buddy suggested full box top not to rely on a seal to the hood since the hood is flimsy fiberglass it won't seal good. Copy that, so drilled out two of the weber 5mm stud holes for 1/4-20 and will make my own longer studs for the entire assembly. Will seal the seams with my favorite zip tape. Hood rim to the cowl will have the old m3 hood gasket, and a few spots next to the duct. Should be interesting to see if performs well. I may try to adapt a couple custom velocity stacks to the 38. Cause it's cheap and should help a bit with reversion. Now for some perfect day IPA's

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/bP...=w1094-h821-no

88 M3
    91 318is
    91 318i
    83 320is
    08 X3 3.0si

"If it flys, floats, or f*cks, rent it!"

My Cars
    E30M3,318is,318i,E21320
    Trunk lid,
    gussets for the front subframe
    seam welded the front subframe to the rails
    mocked more aluminum on the front
    put the engine stand rail back on for hopefully paint soon

88 M3
    91 318is
    91 318i
    83 320is
    08 X3 3.0si

My Cars
    sold 78 BMW 320i
    So much work going on in here! I bet your dad really enjoys working with you on this.

I noticed you used rivets for the carb airbox. If you think you may ever drive without the filter installed, I'd pop the mandrels out of those rivets, or smash the ends so the mandrels don't fall out. I had a motorcycle and it sucked up a few of those 'airbox' rivet mandrels, that was a sad day...
    Tbd

My Cars
    79 320/6 81320i 65malibu
    Jody I missed the description of the Alternator - is it one of those light weight chevy blaser drag alt's?

Always FUN TO DRIVE - Build Thread & Tech info - 79 320/6 track car build thread -- Videos of track car -Adam in car Auto-x video - Start-up video - 4/2011 Adam's TOP BMW time San Diego BMWCCA - 4-5-15 Dyno break-in run new M20B25 - Exhaust Thread - Link

My Cars
    E30M3,318is,318i,E21320
    Quote Originally Posted by epmedia View Post
    So much work going on in here! I bet your dad really enjoys working with you on this.

I noticed you used rivets for the carb airbox. If you think you may ever drive without the filter installed, I'd pop the mandrels out of those rivets, or smash the ends so the mandrels don't fall out. I had a motorcycle and it sucked up a few of those 'airbox' rivet mandrels, that was a sad day...
    Ah thanks on the mandrels. I doubt we'll run without a air cleaner. Actually I'm looking at finding a afe pro dry filter from another car that fits. Leaps and bounds over other washable filters, and has a good rep on the M3 a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by OLD MAN View Post
    Jody I missed the description of the Alternator - is it one of those light weight chevy blaser drag alt's?
    Yes it's a common Chevy mini (Denso) alt. I think it's 40A but makes 57A at max rpm. Plenty to run a hot coil and carb pump with some led lighting. This is a 3wire model for best charging performance (loopback).
    88 M3
    91 318is
    91 318i
    83 320is
    08 X3 3.0si

My Cars
    E30M3,318is,318i,E21320

88 M3
    91 318is
    91 318i
    83 320is
    08 X3 3.0si

My Cars
    E30M3,318is,318i,E21320
    Mario Bros, super speed runs with stars. . . time for brake line plumbing. I've been dreading this part of the build. I did start out with a typical inexpensive bubble flare tool from performance tool. It ended in quick death failure cause well they are just shit. That was last week when I tried to make a practice line. I tried to save a buck but this isn't an area to cheap out. Went to Eastwood and ordered their pro tool. I'll say for sure when I test the system without leaks, but just making the lines it will make you look like a super star brake master tech. The thing is F'ing awesome; hats off to the Gent who created this neato piece of hardware. Few hours after dicking around the shop I started with mount brackets, then made my first lines on the front. Seemingly way to easy that I went all in and actually enjoyed making lines. Using all ni-copp SURR ultabend lines for everything even fuel lines next week. Great stuff to work with. Can literally bend by hand over a 180 if you want to without kinking. I formed over some 3/4 conduit and other objects to help it along. Flex lines are Earl's. I think the rears are -4 AN adapted to the T. Chose flex for ease of install back there. Line fasteners will tidy the hard lines whenever they show up from shipping.

New masters, and new slaves, all from Centric. Seems to be the only brand to trust where guys in China making and tooling from scratch. Ways to go but always getting closer.

Last edited by autox320; 07-30-2017 at 05:59 AM.

My Cars
    E30M3,318is,318i,E21320
    Decided to fill and pressurize the brake system yesterday. Jammed on it and also tried out the bias knob. It works but final test will be on the road if need to shave some pad off the rears. Put constant pressure on the pedal with a brace for about 8hrs while worked on other things. To my surprise it only wept from one small spot, and it wasn't even a union I made. The driver rear caliper banjo fitting sweat a bit on the lower copper ring. After closer inspection the edge of where they milled for the fitting interfered with the -3AN line attachment. No big deal and we'll file the ridge off both calipers so it's never a issue. Other than that I actually was surprised that was the most eventful part of the new hydraulic system. No cry's from the clutch lines either. So started in on the fuel lines. Using ni-copp 5/16 for feed, and vent line with a simple bubble flare. The rear main filler neck has to be routed inbound of the frame rail due to the suspension. The factory pipe was bent into shape but started to crumble and kink up. We decided to toss it on the scrap pile, and make our own out of conduit left over from roll cage templates. Used the bender and made a new pipe. Will couple it with some high grade fuel filler hose to the tank and factory cap section. Will make a clamp for it to the floor of the trunk off the diff brace.

Taking inventory of whats to come with sand, grind, and cutoff wheels. Trying to get the car outside next few days I hope to prep for paint. Few extra areas I want to wheel off and clean up before final sanding.

88 M3
    91 318is
    91 318i
    83 320is
    08 X3 3.0si

My Cars
    E30M3,318is,318i,E21320
    Well it's one year ago today for this build. Where are we? Few days to P.....P....Pai...Sanding But been at it to get in what we can when we can. Weekends only the past few months. I started out this morning draining the brake system and removing it. Made it to the door bars today and started stripping the car back down to the shell. Dad pulled the Harbor Freight tube notcher out of the scrap pile for hopefully the last time on this project. He whipped out the short tubes to the center of the X to the door sill bars. I seamed everything in. The V bars at the X I made a nice root pass and pretty hot 1/2 beer pass on each side of each door area. Tried to really lay it to it cause to me this was the reason I wanted all this tubing. Side protection, so make it worth it. Started carving a template out of cardboard for the taco gussets when the lady called down to the shop for dinner.

88 M3
    91 318is
    91 318i
    83 320is
    08 X3 3.0si

My Cars
    E30M3,318is,318i,E21320
    Forget whatcha heard it's mmm . .Taco Monday. Made some Batman wing taco's. Also decided to go ahead and make gussets for the front subframe window areas. Yeah they didn't weld nice even after a hand sand. The epoxy paint interfered with welding but got'em on there for what it's worth Yes if wondering; climbing inside this thing while suspended on the stands and hoist is like welding upside down in a amusement ride. Good practice for being awkward.

Last edited by autox320; 08-07-2017 at 05:09 PM.
    88 M3
    91 318is
    91 318i
    83 320is
    08 X3 3.0si

My Cars
    E30M3,318is,318i,E21320
    Was busy this past weekend. Had the opportunity to drive with Poor Boys Racing at VIR for the ChumpCar world series 24hr event. It was a lot of fun but exhausting. Crazy event for those that have never seen it. Just logistics alone for amateur racing was neat to see. With wheel to wheel for 2hr driving stints, and pit stops of 5min to fuel, change drivers, and whatever else needed ie tires, oil, clean windshield etc; it was right in my element. We had our fixes from a hole in the fuel tank on practice, to a thermostat/waterpump issue that cost over a hour worth of laps. A bit harsh endurance racing for an amateur to say the least.
    After some business this morning and errands that weren't done over the weekend, finally had a couple hours to push the 320 outside. Just started the grinding, cutting, sanding. Cut out some rear bumper area to help allow channel airflow under the car. I'll start with the worst of knocking off junk from the underside and clean it up. Have the paint bought earlier this year, and a few things showed up from Amsoil.

88 M3
    91 318is
    91 318i
    83 320is
    08 X3 3.0si

My Cars
    79 320/6 81320i 65malibu
    Looking good Jody!

Almost read for paint?

Always FUN TO DRIVE - Build Thread & Tech info - 79 320/6 track car build thread -- Videos of track car -Adam in car Auto-x video - Start-up video - 4/2011 Adam's TOP BMW time San Diego BMWCCA - 4-5-15 Dyno break-in run new M20B25 - Exhaust Thread - Link

My Cars
    E30M3,318is,318i,E21320
    Quote Originally Posted by OLD MAN View Post
    Looking good Jody!

Almost read for paint?

Hey Daryl I'm working on it . Humid as hell out here lately with rolling storms. It's going to have to start going in and out of the garage or will rust faster than I can sand it.

I'm currently sidetracked with the daily driver again. I'm done with Cardone brand period. First was the front brakes on my e30 and now it's the rears. The front driver side hung so bad a few months ago it was smoking locked and barely made it home. Piston froze in the bore. My guess is the remans are shit and they don't care. Once the pad wears so far the piston jams due to piss poor honing or irregular bore sizing. At least the Centric brand are sometimes new castings or boring the whole caliper; probably using slightly oversized pistons. Another issue I have is pads where I melt the backing quiet materials. They melt and also clog the pistons or caliper from sliding. I'm not hard on brakes and late brake quick then get off. Pads last me longer than calipers so far. I scrape off the backing material and paint them with high temp paint.

Anyways while having this apart I looked over the e30 rear setup and calipers vs the VW setup. Having second thoughts on the 320 rear VW brake setup. The rotors from the VW are better fit once machined than the e30. The calipers can fit either rotor. If a good bias can't be obtained with the valve I'll probably switch to e30 rear calipers. Reason is I learned pad surface area isn't much of a factor as the pistons themselves. The VW MK4 rears have a 38mm piston while the e30 BMW uses 33mm piston. Calculators can predict numbers but I'm only interested more in real world with the bias valve and weight of the car. Tire wheel size, and just about everything else effects bias. Only real way is use a valve and see if can adjust withing range of rear lockup needed. It will either work or it won't. Guess I won't coat the trail arms with POR15 or Eastwood encapsulator paint just yet till I know what works best. Either of those are like concrete to remove if need be. They aren't kidding on permanent paint. I've several cans of Eastwoods new encapsulator since I know it works and can spray right over areas of suspect before final paint. Cans of metal prep, paint prep, paint, POR15 fuel tank kit items(cheaper when bought separately , POR15's new high temp for the headers etc.

With company visiting in the near future things will be slower and more beer drinking I think. Still thinking of the track event.

Last edited by autox320; 08-18-2017 at 08:12 AM.
    88 M3
    91 318is
    91 318i
    83 320is
    08 X3 3.0si

My Cars
    E30M3,318is,318i,E21320
    welded on some 5/16" forged rings for rear tie-downs
    ordering a gallon of eastwood brush on encapsulator; figured good insurance and came this far might as well make it last a bit
    the underside needs more attention than a spray job so will encapsulate with a brush then spray the equip enamel paint job

e30 rear brake pad vs mk4 vw pad

rear tie-downs

the source of floor pan rust is the square pads under the outside corners; I cut mine off and will sand down seal over them

Last edited by autox320; 08-19-2017 at 09:36 PM.
    88 M3
    91 318is
    91 318i
    83 320is
    08 X3 3.0si

My Cars
    '82 E21 320i
    Sub. Scribed!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Eric P.

My Cars
    E30M3,318is,318i,E21320
    ^nice

Not much today its just blazing outside after yard work I didn't feel like being gritty on the shell. So sat in the AC and cold beer decided to finally put fresh bearings in the trail arms and get them ready for paint. Like posted earlier I may have to trim and weld on new mounts for e30 calipers, but we'll see. Only one way to find out. Anyways after welding up the trail arms the old bearings are toast anyways. New ones are "sealed", but I know better. Took out the seals and cleaned all the baby dabs of grease they gave me which wasn't much. Even new FAG or German bearings are cheating out on grease these days. Think your nice expensive bearings are packed with the finest I hate to break it to you. Still have to do it yourself. I'm using Amsoil's Dominator that I'm told is cream of the crop. Track guys swear it let's them last twice as long and they go through some bearings. I didn't stop for pics in between cause it was messy. All buttoned up with well lubed race grease bearings. Should add a few hp

88 M3
    91 318is
    91 318i
    83 320is
    08 X3 3.0si

My Cars
    83 320 82 320
    Last twice as long hmmmm Ill have to try it.

My Cars
    E30M3,318is,318i,E21320
    More small stuff. Scrubbed down most of the little items for a coat of Eastwood encapsulator spray in grey matte finish. Reassembly with brake+wheel stud bolts loctite and torqued. Jake would probably like this part. Used some Tuf Glide dry gun lube on the camber adjuster so it helps out in the bore of the tubing to move easy. Brake rotors a quick hub coat in POR15 new high temp spray aluminum. Rebuilt the Brembo calipers with a new FTE kit. Pistons and bores were in excellent shape (thanks again Brendan). I barely had to clean them up at all. Mostly just wheel and sand the outer face of the pistons that were exposed when on a shelf somewhere. Internally they were like new. Wiped out with a light swipe of emery cloth anyways, cleaned, and new seals. A scrub by hand of light sanding, then a few coats of POR15 high temp aluminum. Couldn't help with OCD so before sanding down the front struts took the hubs back off and put the extended life pole grease in there too .

I was about to keep sand wheeling on the underside of the car cause a gallon of Eastwood encapsulator was inbound today. Well apparently after checking on it they destroyed it at the Mills River sorting facility. I would of liked to see what mess that made . Just more time waiting. Still need to clean and wheel up the subframe for encapsulator spray.

88 M3
    91 318is
    91 318i
    83 320is
    08 X3 3.0si

My Cars
    1978 323i
    Come on man, zip ties?? Are you telling me you didn't weld up something fancier than that to secure the brake lines??

But seriously, this is looking amazing!

My Cars
    E30M3,318is,318i,E21320
    Quote Originally Posted by cgifool View Post
    Come on man, zip ties?? Are you telling me you didn't weld up something fancier than that to secure the brake lines??
    But seriously, this is looking amazing!
    Yup serviceability. From a mechanic standpoint keep it simple. Much nicer with one piece flex than the multi mess stock cars have. This exact single line zip tied on was good enough for the DTM boys in 92'.

It helps if use good ties btw. Like Thomas & Betts TY527MX Cable Tie; "strong as steel" stainless lockers in the heads.

It is funny though if visit a track day to see what the guys get away with. I carry lot's of zip ties and zip tape in my track box too. I mean I saw some things during the past 24hr event that simple solutions easily outweighed my overthinking. I like to see how others package components and overcome with simplest solutions that work in a harsh environment.

Was also just thinking about this the past few days over brews. The timeline for a sec also; a 24hr race event. It's like years of street driving in a single race. Even track driving events, it was like running 6 DE weekends back to back. Most cars shovel around VIR full course somewhere over 2min per 3.27mi lap. Now do that for 400-500 laps It just boggles a mind what man and machine can get away with.

Thanks man it's coming together, one beer at a time.
    Last edited by autox320; 08-25-2017 at 06:06 AM.
    88 M3
    91 318is
    91 318i
    83 320is
    08 X3 3.0si

My Cars
    1978 323i
    Quote Originally Posted by autox320 View Post
    Yup serviceability. From a mechanic standpoint keep it simple. Much nicer with one piece flex than the multi mess stock cars have. This exact single line zip tied on was good enough for the DTM boys in 92'.

It helps if use good ties btw. Like Thomas & Betts TY527MX Cable Tie; "strong as steel" stainless lockers in the heads.
    Well heck, that makes it PERIOD CORRECT and therefore desirable

Thanks for the tip on quality zip-ties!

My Cars
    E30M3,318is,318i,E21320
    Dropped tools last week cause an old war buddy flew in town. Needless to say nothing productive happened Few days later and a restock of the fridge, I geared up and went in for dirty work. Worked rain and shine during the waves of Harvey passing through the area. Just that time a new gallon of encapsulator finally made it without being damaged by fedex. Eastwood double boxed, bagged, and had clips to secure the lid. Lot's of elbows and grease later, removed majority of the undercoating to bare metal. Found a nice sanding wheel brand that really cut the mustard from Fastenal. Only used 2 blackstone wheels to get most of it off. Tons of smoke making and sore shoulders later I brushed the first coat of encapsulator on letting it dry overnight. Just too many nooks and cranny's to spray it on. Hand job only to really lay it in the seams, blind spots, etc. Next morning put the second coat on. Used some wire bushes in the drill from eastwood to reach the hard places and clean around the cage joints to the body. Coated there also for good measure.

Boxed the front suspension forward mounts. Actually I forgot to leave a note to myself for doing it. A buddy stopped by for beers last night pointed it out to remind me. After looking at it further with the suspension mounted back up I'm going to box the front part also with a gusset. No biggie.

Dad cleaned, wheeled, sanded the subframe then sprayed it with more encapsulator for me. We put the suspension back on to make a rolling chassis for paint, and to free up one of the engine stands to hopefully start the power plant soon.

88 M3
    91 318is
    91 318i
    83 320is
    08 X3 3.0si

My Cars
    1979 E21 320i
    What spring rate did you settle for in the back? Looking awesome
    -John

My Cars
    E30M3,318is,318i,E21320
    Quote Originally Posted by Somjuan View Post
    What spring rate did you settle for in the back? Looking awesome
    Not settled, but right now still the old 400's we were running before. Car seems light so may have to change up springs after final weigh in. Dad kinda bet me once it was on the ground we could pickup one side of the car. Well I could lift it a bit by myself! Granted no drivetrain parts in yet but that's only another 400ish pounds from where it is now

Back on the ground. Boxed and capped off the frame rails. Boxed and gusset for the front suspension tie point. More sanding and encapsulating before final beautification of race paint job.

Oktoberfast brews for the work week.

88 M3
    91 318is
    91 318i
    83 320is
    08 X3 3.0si

My Cars
    '82 E21 320i
    "That monster ate my beer!"
    Eric P.

Page 14 of 34 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast