Page 13 of 34 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Return of an Original Gangsta

My Cars
    79 320/6 81320i 65malibu
    Quote Originally Posted by autox320 View Post

Alright Jody - enough is enough! Thought I would check in to see what you've been up to. Now you have made me want to go out and work on my car (front aero).
    Just what I need a reshuffling of priorities (again)! LOL

Jody looking good brother! Keep the pictures coming.
    Last edited by OLD MAN; 06-04-2017 at 06:59 PM.

Always FUN TO DRIVE - Build Thread & Tech info - 79 320/6 track car build thread -- Videos of track car -Adam in car Auto-x video - Start-up video - 4/2011 Adam's TOP BMW time San Diego BMWCCA - 4-5-15 Dyno break-in run new M20B25 - Exhaust Thread - Link

My Cars
    E30M3,318is,318i,E21320
    sorry man ha

I had a few give the splitter kick at track too, yep it's 1/2" birch ply dude LOL. They give the weirdest look, then nod and tell me right on. The M splitter is slotted on the mount bolts so can loosen them and slide it in or out depending how much aero you want. I've ran from flush up to 6" out and it does make a difference in fast areas like up hill esses at VIR, but the straights are noticeably slower ie drag. I found a good medium around 2-4". Of course there's rear wing involved too. Another trick for splitter mounting is use aircraft grade aluminum bolts avail online or Fastenal. If need sheer can just file a bit of a notch in them for break away ie crash conditions. Most use Alumalite (sign sheeting) for undertrays etc. I find it works if plug the front edge, but in a crash it can do nasty stuff. I've seen it folded up into the engine bay and cuts everything up making a mess. The plywood for the win IMO. Simple, cheap, jigsaw and some paint. Cut from one 4x8 sheet. Make a template to reach back behind the steering rack to form a undertray all in one. Small detail is bevel the underside of the leading edge like reverse wing. We plan to run just about 2" to none to maximize speed. The splitter will be more for undertray and added flat bottom effect. Also to help direct the rad airflow. Meh more brews I'm done for the night
    88 M3
    91 318is
    91 318i
    83 320is
    08 X3 3.0si

"If it flys, floats, or f*cks, rent it!"

My Cars
    E30M3,318is,318i,E21320
    Made up the radiator mounting. It's slanted 30 degrees. Also changed the entire front clip tabs to double sheer horizontal. Yeah I do that sometimes. I change my mind so wheel off and redo/reweld new tabs. The Ron Davis rad when full will weigh a bit and combined with the splitter downforce I thought the front needed a touch more love of holding power. Dad still mocking up some wiring and we discussed how we want things ran etc for running conditions. Probably hook up the oil pressure circuit into the fuel pump relay as a safety cutoff. Also mounting a ignition block strip for adding any circuits ie temporary AFX wideband gauge to tune with etc. Trying to hammer out details and above all. . . keep it simple. Waiting on new headlights from SuperBright and thinking about a way to mock the housings to weld on. I may tackle adding a bit more tube to the front for the grill work and front skins. Side note was showing Dad with the control arms all out wider adjustment the trackwidth in front is couple inches wider than the M3 via the splitter. The M3 is already 32mm wider in front than stock due to roll center spacers which the splitter was made for. He took a minute and was . I'll roll them in to minimum and it will still be about a inch/26mm wider front track over the factory 320is due to the static holes in the subframe we made. Food for thought.

88 M3
    91 318is
    91 318i
    83 320is
    08 X3 3.0si

My Cars
    E30M3,318is,318i,E21320
    More of the same, but different A bit of redux on the splitter lower front attachment. I went to adjust things and bent a turnbuckle. Was trying to use super small 3/16" ones, but resorted to a redo with ones I use on the M3 of 5/16". Added lower attachment bars to re-enforce which actually was the initial plan but I had to talk myself back into it. They have a oval end to change length if needed with the splitter angle. Mock up splitter is actually fastened under the steering rack now. Welded in some reverse 3/8 nuts on washers to tuck into the bottom of the rack tubes. Welded in making part of the rack and subframe for attachment.

Used 3/16" solid round wire welded in as mounting for the grill work. Plastics will be secured by zipties but a bit neater of course this is a mock up. Front is now 9 lbs. Which includes the new headlights. The H4's finally came in from SuperBright. Of course I had to hold one to a battery to see. Yeah these will be nice if need them. Cut away and drilled to lighten the factory buckets aka swiss sytle.

Was using more 3/16" rods for the corner turn signal light holders and keep the grill supported on the end. The driverside went smooth but the passenger one broke on assembly. Guess the old plastic is just too brittle for this so will come up with a added through bolt and washers.

Dad kept tackling the wiring plans. Things always look a mess when routing and finding issues before final install. Additional ground blocks installed front near the coil, one near the main panel inside, and last in the rear center of the lights. A couple items will use 14 and 12 awg, but majority will be 18 awg cause that's all that's needed.

Finally made the alternator adjuster link while I was at it. Piece of 3/4 moly again along with the endura moly 3/8 heims. Stout little sucker just like we'll need.

88 M3
    91 318is
    91 318i
    83 320is
    08 X3 3.0si

My Cars
    79 320/6 81320i 65malibu
    Jody - me being me - I have to ask, how are you going to get this on and off the trailer?

I had to remove my grills & valance with BBS front spoiler off the the car to get it on the trailer. I ask because with the radiator in the structure it looks like you can not remove any of these low parts?

Love the way it looks!

Always FUN TO DRIVE - Build Thread & Tech info - 79 320/6 track car build thread -- Videos of track car -Adam in car Auto-x video - Start-up video - 4/2011 Adam's TOP BMW time San Diego BMWCCA - 4-5-15 Dyno break-in run new M20B25 - Exhaust Thread - Link

My Cars
    E30M3,318is,318i,E21320
    Quote Originally Posted by OLD MAN View Post
    Jody - me being me - I have to ask, how are you going to get this on and off the trailer?

I had to remove my grills & valance with BBS front spoiler off the the car to get it on the trailer. I ask because with the radiator in the structure it looks like you can not remove any of these low parts?

Love the way it looks!
    Thanks, it looks better and more functional than the M in the front right now. One thing I like as much as welding sheet metal is aesthetics, but it's gotta be done. Not sure how this will turn out.

No worries, funny you mention loading. We were actually staring at it discussing things last night. Same exact subject came up along with some other foreseen details. Basically the splitter will probably be installed at the track. The adjuster bar in front can be swung up to clear. I still need to weld on some tie-downs for transporting. I've not planned much of any on this front end. Just making it up as I go If all else fails might make some ride height spacer blocks to jack the car up and slip in under the springs to remove after transport.
    88 M3
    91 318is
    91 318i
    83 320is
    08 X3 3.0si

My Cars
    '83 320i & '86 535i
    Quote Originally Posted by autox320 View Post
    Thanks, it looks better and more functional than the M in the front right now. One thing I like as much as welding sheet metal is aesthetics, but it's gotta be done. Not sure how this will turn out.

No worries, funny you mention loading. We were actually staring at it discussing things last night. Same exact subject came up along with some other foreseen details. Basically the splitter will probably be installed at the track. The adjuster bar in front can be swung up to clear. I still need to weld on some tie-downs for transporting. I've not planned much of any on this front end. Just making it up as I go If all else fails might make some ride height spacer blocks to jack the car up and slip in under the springs to remove after transport.
    Mine isn't quite as low up front but I have this issue. I have a set of 2x8 steps 3 high to get to a normal set of ramps. Like a flat 2x pushed back to the tire then the 2nd screwed on just past the splitter, and so on.

My Cars
    79 320/6 81320i 65malibu
    Quote Originally Posted by audioscience10 View Post
    Mine isn't quite as low up front but I have this issue. I have a set of 2x8 steps 3 high to get to a normal set of ramps. Like a flat 2x pushed back to the tire then the 2nd screwed on just past the splitter, and so on.
    I had 2"x6"x6' step/ramps to get the car started going up and set the 5" steel ramps on them - I still had to remove the front valance, meanly because the BBS was bolted to the valance and not removable. Got tried of all the stuff and work to get the car on and off the trailer.

My Cars
    1983 BMW 320i M20 Turbo
    Thats when quick connects would come in handy. Either the push button type or the 1/4-turn type. Would make removing the valance quick and easy.
    1999 Z3 Coupe 2.8L

CHECK OUT >>>
    RAGE DRIFT DESIGNS <<< FOR DECALS AND MORE!

My Cars
    E30M3,318is,318i,E21320
    Yeah they don't call them Dzus fasteners anymore just 1/4 turns and everyone seems to make them these days. I've several packs of 25 from speedway for the doors etc maybe fenders and front stuff. Not there yet

ditto on the quick connects; Dad already was ahead of me on that for the wiring
    Last edited by autox320; 06-12-2017 at 11:31 AM.
    88 M3
    91 318is
    91 318i
    83 320is
    08 X3 3.0si

My Cars
    79 320/6 81320i 65malibu
    Jody your whole front body structure could be quick release if the radiator was not mounted to it. The radiator is what brought about my question.

My Cars
    E30M3,318is,318i,E21320
    Jody your whole front body structure could be quick release if the radiator was not mounted to it. The radiator is what brought about my question.

I hear ya Daryl. Dad poked at me on it also. To toss more thought into it my Uncle mentioned it when we chat with him last Saturday. He says did you mount the radiator on that front clip? Ahhh ...yeah? Sheesh see young bucks need to take cue from the old guys. Input taken and thanks, especially since not finished and perfect timing to change something. . . another revision for the radiator

To add more fuel on that idea. I messed around with jacking the car up and tried a few things tonight. Yup you guys are all right, I think it needs a revision and make the whole front come off for transport. It will just simplify loading headaches. I was first thinking more just to remove things and be able to pull the engine. Transport will be much easier without a front end in the way. Have a ltw trailer design but that will have to be next year.
    88 M3
    91 318is
    91 318i
    83 320is
    08 X3 3.0si

My Cars
    E30M3,318is,318i,E21320
    A bit of Deja vu; glitch in the matrix; welded on the headlight buckets and tested the led's, then another redux of the rad mount and front clip. I used my garage door, floor marks, and a e30 car as a way to outline approximately where to put the headlights on. Aimed into painter tape boxes on the doors I stitched them on. Minor surgery on the front clip and moved the radiator to the car. Front clip now removes easier.

88 M3
    91 318is
    91 318i
    83 320is
    08 X3 3.0si

My Cars
    82' E21 318i, 92 MB-180E
    Niiiiiiiiiiiiiice
    "The most important thing is balance." - KT

My Cars
    E30M3,318is,318i,E21320
    Dad helped mock up both the door skins for Fathers Day. So from the beginning I never intended to keep the doors. Thought process is they weigh a lot more than some think and don't give any real protection. Both doors with glass and trim weigh in at about 90-95 lbs total. That's correct about 45 lbs per door. We'll be replacing them with the double V door bars welded into the cage as the last thing to go in. They will have a tube to the lower rail as a gusset to the V, and sheet metal taco wrapping the V. The bars with aluminum skins weigh in at about 15 lbs each side. About 65 lbs weight savings that offsets the front cage work was my initial thinking. Trading sheet metal garbage doors for real tubing work. The skins are not as tall on purpose so can get in over them. Dad at least rolled the top edge so not cutting ourselves to pieces going over it. I tested climbing in and out. If grabbed the area next to the rear mirror I could get in and out one handed still holding my beer Once inside there's enough elbow room using double V bars vs traditional X.

I also added in the rear two tabs for the seats to mount. Since not using FIA approved seats they need back support, so will tie into the cage hoop and harness bar. Started on the belt mounting a bit.

88 M3
    91 318is
    91 318i
    83 320is
    08 X3 3.0si

My Cars
    81 SR20DET E21
    Looks good mate. Will be interesting to see what it weighs when done.

My Cars
    E30M3,318is,318i,E21320
    small victories

-safety seat belt mounting anchor points; used 3/16 plate and nice 1/2" shoulder bolts
    -mirrors; tired of cheapo small race mirrors? yup so am I so trying something different. These look very promising and super inexpensive. Mounted hot spot side mirrors; more 14ga sheet and 3/16 rod; small compact can see just ridiculous views at a glance from the driver seat along with the wink 4 panel rear view
    -homemade dtm gas pedal; some 14ga sheet and 3/16 rods; this has lot's of reasons and meanings on track. A close friend of mine about bought the big one over his fuel pedal. Not an area to overlook for a track day car.
    -battery mounted using some 1/2 square and 1/4-20 all thread

88 M3
    91 318is
    91 318i
    83 320is
    08 X3 3.0si

My Cars
    E30M3,318is,318i,E21320
    Dad started hammering out the aluminum work. Dad used an old dynomax bullet muffler and some angle iron to hammer over in the vise. These are rough mock up of race fenders, so just need to look the part and direct the airflow at speed. Maybe keep some of the tire boogers from entering the car Just more 3000 aluminum. I checked ergonomics again and made a steel weighted shift knob. Cut out of a left over very thick wall sleeve from a mower deck . Welded over some seamless 3/4" - 1/16" wall moly tube as a slide fit over the shifter. I'll weld it up to the shifter so no spinning cause it's annoying to have it moving. Feels great and exact height I want it. Also made a pedal stop out of a 1/2" adjustable bolt for the gas pedal. Just some minor things like tow straps etc. Worked on some lexan cutting out the rear windows. Plan to massage the fenders more then rivet them on. I need more 1/8" bits, it's always something Happy Independence weekend guys.

Last edited by autox320; 07-01-2017 at 05:35 PM.
    88 M3
    91 318is
    91 318i
    83 320is
    08 X3 3.0si

My Cars
    E28, '07 Duramax LBZ
    i like that pedal idea. mine is broken at the bottom hinge. and i might have to go that route.
    advise / advice ...there / they're / their ...then / than ...two / too / to ...bass / base ...bare / bear ...brake / break...braid / brayed ...you're / your ...do / due / dew ...patients / patience ...wait / weight ...affect / effect ...know / no ...sell / cell ...sale / sail ...whole / hole ...reign / rain ...moot / mute ...pore / pour / poor ...buy / bye / by / bi ...lose / loose ...here / hear ...bore / boar / boor ...waist / waste ...were / we're ...and / an ...mourning / morning ...shelve / shelf ...well / we'll / will ...one / won / Juan ...who's / whose ...through / threw ...for / fore / 4 / four ...bored / board ...steel / steal / still ...scene / seen ....road / rode ...sight / site / cite ...mat / matte ...ascent / ascend ...tear / tare ...tier / tear ...vice / vise ...further / farther ...meat / meet / mete ...paid / payed ...red / read ...reed / read ...wreck / wreak ...thorough / Thoreau ...check / cheque / Czech ...cue / q / queue ...Tom / Thom ...learn the difference

My Cars
    E30M3,318is,318i,E21320
    Quote Originally Posted by BastardE38 View Post
    i like that pedal idea. mine is broken at the bottom hinge. and i might have to go that route.
    Yeah most track junkies e30/36 carry spare OE plastic pedals in their track box. Common failure is the bottom hinge from heel toe. It's broken from kicking it on downshifts. A real cheap fix to keep this from happening as often is secure a small door hinge to re-enforce it or replace the lower plastic hinge with a door hinge. Makes it last longer, that is until the top breaks off I've broken the top hinge before which jammed the pedal to the floor and over rev'd the motor.

A true pedal box would be fail safe. Others have tried a hanging version fuel pedal with failures including my friend going off T1 VIR at speed. Wild ride down that hill entering the brake zone but the gas pedal breaks off then jams the brake pedal I try to avoid the stock pedal, and on the M3 bought a dtm replica few years ago. It's given a lot more confidence knowing it won't snap off with a surprise experience. Especially on the end of VIR's back straight where pucker factor is highest hoping everything works.
    88 M3
    91 318is
    91 318i
    83 320is
    08 X3 3.0si

My Cars
    E30M3,318is,318i,E21320
    Slow day, but went to Lowes for a couple 1/8" bits. I'll swing by Fastenal tomorrow for a whole box of them. Pre-drilled around the lexan windows for rivets. Need to shave the back window just a touch more in one spot. Rolled it outside and hit the entire inside trunk area down to shiny metal. Sprayed a coat of epoxy paint on it. Getting ready to rivet the aluminum floor in. Oh my chopped up original metal fenders were about 9 lbs each and the aluminum ones are 4 lbs each. Still working with Dad on making the fit a touch better before riveting.

88 M3
    91 318is
    91 318i
    83 320is
    08 X3 3.0si

My Cars
    79 320/6 81320i 65malibu
    Jody how you going to see out the windows?

Sorry could not resist!

You are moving along nicely! What class are you thinking of running?

My Cars
    E30M3,318is,318i,E21320
    Jody how you going to see out the windows?

Sorry could not resist!

You are moving along nicely! What class are you thinking of running?
    See? Shouldn't need to see behind us eehh ignore the fancy mirrors we installed lol

No idea for autox class, maybe street tire? Not thought about it yet. Just want to get brake plumbing in and get it outside for paint soon. Then start on the powerplant.

Tons of details to wrap up, then the testing of a unproven platform begins. Since no hair to pull out, will resort to beers to kill.
    88 M3
    91 318is
    91 318i
    83 320is
    08 X3 3.0si

My Cars
    E30M3,318is,318i,E21320
    Rivet fairy showed up last night and put the trunk floor in. Dad climbed in there determined to finish up what he started. I handed beer and rivets

Started on the front end again. I made a duct for the radiator to force the airflow through the core. Just trying to plan out the grill work and more aluminum. Few more brews and some thinking about it for now. If wonder what the mesh is, it's a trade secret. Just kidding it's just gutter guard. Yup the cheapo stuff at local hardware that's only a couple bucks for a roll. It's tougher than it looks and has served well on the M3, so using it here.

88 M3
    91 318is
    91 318i
    83 320is
    08 X3 3.0si

My Cars
    79 320/6 81320i 65malibu
    I like your air ducts for the radiator!!

Page 13 of 34 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast