Page 22 of 34 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223242526272829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: Return of an Original Gangsta

My Cars
    E30M3,318is,318i,E21320
    Trailer took a bit more work than planned. Wanted tie downs for other vehicles we'll use it for too. Heavy wall tubing welded on. So we've 2 up front and 4 in back. Will add a few more on front and sides. Dad notched out the floor boards for the dove tail plate and we recessed it for extra clearance. We're still not perfect on the front tie downs strap wise, but it will work. We'll see if can come up with a revision later. Right now just needed to get it strapped down today. Making an autox event tomorrow further drive away.

What's next?
    Some might wonder if I'll stay idle and just race the 320 with Dad. Haha nope. Truth is I'm planning to start my next project by my birthday later this month. Moved the M3 back into front and center. Been collecting some parts, but have a ways. I bought a real set of motorsport 312/292 cams brand new from a well known source. The car build will hopefully use ideas learned from the 320 project to make my own version 1992 DTM replica. This is my dream car. Need to beat out the sheet metal damage where it kissed the tire wall first. Then plan a entire strip down, full cage, the works. Yup if thinking it's starting all over; you got it. This car is well kept and not rusty like the 320 Should be a lot less extra work . . . I hope.

--------
    The build that may not have a thread

88 M3
    91 318is
    91 318i
    83 320is
    08 X3 3.0si

"If it flys, floats, or f*cks, rent it!"

My Cars
    91 318is - 83 320is
    No thread for the m3? Blasphemy!
    91 318is
    83 320is

My Cars
    1979 E21 320i
    Man, I have so much fun following your thread, it'd be a shame not to see your next project too
    -John

My Cars
    E30M3,318is,318i,E21320
    Just got home and thought I'd say we haven't ran the car in 3 ? weeks since the last autocross. Went to a day even 2hrs away with my local club. Very quick drivers I have to say. Car was a blast, and faster this time I think. Made only a few minor changes by tweaked out the idle screws just a smidge each barrel to richen it up. Ran better but not 100% off the line, but very very close now to tweaking. Maybe a bit more and it will be sweet. Handling wise it was a bit oversteer loose since we finally had a course where it had a few drifting sweeper circle turns. I moved the swaybar to the next softest hole, and it was much better especially excellent once the tires were hot again. Enough to where I may leave it be; it feels that good now.

Scenario was 2 driver car so end of the group I was the last to run. Car was feeling super good by then. The workers on those runs were about to run last (IMO fastest peeps in the club). I was drifting the car all around and having a total blast. Had FTD and almost held FTD! until the last group ran again . Made'um work for it though, and it was some of the best fun we had in years. Can't wait to run more events and dial it in for a track day at VIR; thinking Octoberfast event. Dad and I are having beers today for our efforts. Had to share a quick blurb on how it went. Trailer loading/offloading, hauling etc all went great.

Anyways having a good weekend here, hope you guys are doing the same. Car has went from bastard child to representing. I know a few at the event couldn't believe it started as a 320.

later
    88 M3
    91 318is
    91 318i
    83 320is
    08 X3 3.0si

My Cars
    E30M3,318is,318i,E21320
    So this doesn't start into an M thread, here's a couple vids from last week. Been tinkering and thinking on some areas of the M. Planning on making the rear trail arm adjusters for it beefier at 5/8 bearings and bolts for the trail arms. Early stages of circle brew thinking. Anyways it starting at 2406 lbs as it sits now. I've already been tracking the car from 2009 and have taken a lot of weight out of it already. Going to cut some more out, but not as much as the 320 in the rear this time. In the rear really just the spare tire well. Front end is going to go for sure along with other ideas. I will link here when start a build thread on S14power.com. Probably the track sub builds page or something. The M3 tech forum is down right now for updates but I still probably won't post for awhile. Want ducks in a row first

Anyways I'll keep putting links of vids and anything that happens with the 320 in here. Enjoy.

my run

Dads run
    88 M3
    91 318is
    91 318i
    83 320is
    08 X3 3.0si

My Cars
    E30M3,318is,318i,E21320
    Eric B stopped by on his way to the VINTAGE. Had a good chat, and he left a generous brew offering thanks man. He picked up the entire car wire harness and a box of goodies for some bucks.

The Vintage was this morning, but with the rain I decided not to go.

Moved and added some roll to the rear of the car. I started with only 1/4" under the rear outer heim. Note that when made the rear arms the heim is not on the factory centerline. Rear roll center is already 5/8 (.625) lower roll center than stock due to I welded up the arms with the heim resting on factory center when made it. Took out the 3/4 and 1/4 spacers and made up some 1/2 and 1/2. Yes this only moves the rear roll center another 1/4" lower ie pro roll. It doesn't sound like much but throws off just about everything when make a small change like this So camber and ride height need to be adjusted cause I was near limit already. Spent some time on the scales to do the alignment cause you'd be surprised how one thing effects the other and then changes weight distribution. Especially ride heights and camber which are directly related to roll center changes.

I first set the rear roll center spacers in, then adjusted rear ride height till had good axle angles again. Then adjusted camber. Tweaked all again as corner weighted few circles. Then toe last. Pretty easily done since have all the adjust-ability available. Rear camber and toe is a few turns of a wrench. Can literally see corner weights move as you turn wrenches. Helps learn how it all directly correlates.

How will it handle now? I've no idea but a theory and won't learn much if don't try. It should stick better in the rear with lower roll (pro roll). Like softer springs but this is before the springs come into play since it's the pivot of the car.

Some might of noticed the passenger rear window still out. That's my sneaky way into the back still to unbolt and make this happen. Some fun monkey bar climbing in.

We'll see how it does next event and see if I want to change things up again. Keep on dialing it till satisfied. Won't know until go to far one way IMO. That's how we learn by messing up. Was interesting Eric and I had a chat on this subject. Good stuff.

can tell which one is made with a abrasive chop saw and ones with the new cold saw

Eric left me some bourbon and fitting brew name for the time

tight work space with the M strip job going on

leaving the driver in for all settings this time

ensuring my scale areas are level; if not just use some shims under the scale; my floor is dead flat luckily

going to add more diffuser to the rear before october, but for now as is

yup the lady bought me this to add to the car
    88 M3
    91 318is
    91 318i
    83 320is
    08 X3 3.0si

My Cars
    83 320i 00 540i6 85 535i
    OG! Enjoyed the chat and I’d recommend making the trip to visit with Jody. He is seriously original gangsta! Ask him about making bushings or strut tower braces or how to squeeze more ponies out of the M10. A frickin wizard and he gladly shares his knowledge. Just make sure you bring a ceremonial 6 pack offering...

Thanks for your time and showing me the car!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    E30M3,318is,318i,E21320
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonsaibacker View Post
    OG! Enjoyed the chat and I’d recommend making the trip to visit with Jody. He is seriously original gangsta! Ask him about making bushings or strut tower braces or how to squeeze more ponies out of the M10. A frickin wizard and he gladly shares his knowledge. Just make sure you bring a ceremonial 6 pack offering...

Thanks for your time and showing me the car!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the words man. Hmm wizard. . . maybe if enough brews. We'll catch up again I'm sure. Take it easy E.
    88 M3
    91 318is
    91 318i
    83 320is
    08 X3 3.0si

My Cars
    E30M3,318is,318i,E21320
    I took the car outside and washed it to remove the thick film of grind dust (from M3 work). Once clean took down the road yesterday to shake out for the event today. Right away saw a problem of the white paint inside...yeah finally just too much glare. So pulled in had the lady help me. Masked off everything important and used the flattest paint known in the shop. . . bbq high heat rustoleum black. This paint seems to suck all surrounding light and makes it disappear

Heard my area fuel source for race gas is running low and won't reorder for a couple months. I have all my regular cans full and bought VP race cans to store an additional 20 gal of Sunoco 112 to blend.

Typing this, still sweating from another day event autocross today. Couldn't sink a super fast time cause last runs were in rain . Still learned some things and finally felt like we broke something. I was launching it hard and snapping second gear at the limiter entering a super fast slalom. Heard a loud bump bang metal sound . Still went ok so pushed on and finished. As I taxied up the hill to get back in line heard the driveshaft rub noise. I figured I sheered off the trans mount ear or something. Maybe exploded the carrier bearing. Made two more hard runs to finish out my 8 (16 counting Dad's runs) for the day. Once home put on stands to see the damage. Was looking all over the trans area when my lady say um babe it's right here in the back. Your diff is falling out

Cleaned the mount, doubled up some heavy grade 8 washers. Tightened up in place, then welded them on. The mount was slotted cause went high as possible with the diff and I never made a new mount just slotted the original one. Fixed. Oh if anybody is looking for a decent ground for your welder, this one from harbor freight isn't shabby. Beefy and has the nice all copper strap inside.

Trans breather hose is leaking and puking fluid will put a different hose on there or tighten it up. Trans is getting a work out. Hey needs to survive when hit VIR in October Full course being dogged on the straights without mercy.

Other than that held up real well. The beatings continue.

88 M3
    91 318is
    91 318i
    83 320is
    08 X3 3.0si

My Cars
    E30M3,318is,318i,E21320
    Wanted the rear to hookup a bit more. We've been disconnecting the rear sway bar during a few runs and decided to just swap springs. Fronts are 350's so moved them to the back putting the 400's up front. Rechecked alignment and rebalanced. Will have more available tuning spring using the rear bar if needed. It sticks better in the back now and can actually overdrive the car to create a small push if come in hot like an idiot Nothing throttle over steer can't fix though, which it can still do on a whim. Neat machine to flog around I have to say. Makes me excited and a bit edgy on building the M3 to greater spec.

Well OLD MAN we bought aluminum ramps . Yup after lugging the 61+lbs EACH steel ramps and boards around my back is already saying enough lately. Bought a set of Reese 17 lb each aluminum 3000 lb ramps from Tractor Supply. Tried the skimpy ones first 1600 lb models and nope didn't like how they about bent to the ground. Were too cheap made compared to the 3k lb ones. They were 200 bucks but worth my back aches. Added a aluminum angle lip so they just hook on the rear of the dove tail like load ramps.

Cars been doing great. Probably order ltw 15x8 wheels and nitto NT01's in a month or so. Also prepping brakes for track duty at some point. Swapping to the castrol SRF fluid (if do track days swap to this and never look back), with a full set of PFC11 pads.

Still cracking the whip on the M3 grinding and sanding out excess metal. Brackets, tabs, etc. Working my way down to 2000 lbs before adding cage I hope. Will do my best to dip below that if can find the weight. It's sitting at 2100 right now and I've not even chopped the front off yet or made subframes.

Last edited by autox320; 06-21-2018 at 04:22 PM.
    88 M3
    91 318is
    91 318i
    83 320is
    08 X3 3.0si

My Cars
    83 320i 00 540i6 85 535i
    Great Updates!
    Them Justice boys haul ass! Keep on sharing!

My Cars
    E30M3,318is,318i,E21320
    Prepping for the 4th July day event. My lady is decorating, told her to do whatever she wants on the car. I'll be running a full flag on a piece of conduit out the back rear passenger window to hold it above the car. Should be pretty cool when running around an autocross course. The NT01's came in for track days. 225/45/15. Will mount on some E30 15x8 TRmotorsport wheels. Have a set of 20mm spacers and long wheel studs to put the wheels where we need.

88 M3
    91 318is
    91 318i
    83 320is
    08 X3 3.0si

My Cars
    83 320 82 320
    Took my e21 on its first track event. Did pretty good, I kept lifting the rear wheels under hard cornering. Switching to 450lb springs in the front. I blame the m20 but it was a lot of fun.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    E30M3,318is,318i,E21320
    Awesome man I still feel the excitement just being at a track. I still remember my first track day. After a weekend of driving high speed, everything else got the volume turned down. Funny after the event I think my family thought I'd calm down some. Nope, I started to tweak some things on the car to go again. Eventually gave up on keeping stock interior and comfort items in favor of real safety gear. Ya know I've never had the E21 on a road course, just E30/E36's. Can't wait to feel it out, and possibly put it through some quick paces. The build needs to prove itself. We'll see if it holds together.
    88 M3
    91 318is
    91 318i
    83 320is
    08 X3 3.0si

My Cars
    83 320 82 320
    My heart was pounding for sure haha. I am going back in August

My Cars
    86 ETA Sport 2.7i
    Still haven't made it all the way through your thread, but good stuff! Don't visit here much, but now will be following all the new posts.

-John
    Wide Open Throttle Technologies, FL
    -John
    Instagram

My Cars
    E30M3,318is,318i,E21320
    Thanks John. Yeah this is a E21 Father Son project that had typical scope creep in a good way . Starting back in on the M3 little bites at a time. Hot, humid, and great day to sweat balls welding cage work lol

later
    88 M3
    91 318is
    91 318i
    83 320is
    08 X3 3.0si

My Cars
    E30M3,318is,318i,E21320
    Been busy past few weeks. The 4th July event we placed top of the pack for the club. Won 2nd place best car, and was a lot of fun. Super tight course. We weren't ready for cause made changes to tighten up the car. She didn't want to rotate which was terrible push at this course, but managed to forceful drive her around anyway. Placed 13th overall out of 102 entries. Karts are kinda not fair lol times. I went to add rear swaybar to help rotation only to forget the deep well socket needed to change on grid. So ran as is . We feel the current setting is great for track to keep from losing it so fast. We'll add rear bar to bring back to rotating for autox tight courses. Next DAY event we'll test going the other direction again.

PFC 11 brake pad sets came in. Dad says he'll order the wheels next month. We'll have to cut the rear fenders to fit cause will be an extra inch of rubber or so.

88 M3
    91 318is
    91 318i
    83 320is
    08 X3 3.0si

My Cars
    E30M3,318is,318i,E21320
    Found a couple action shots online from the past day event. We've some photographers that show up at just about every event. Pretty sure I'm grinning, if not laughing in every pic under that helmet.

Prepped the car today for another day event this Sunday. Checked everything over and put back on scales just to be sure. Alignment tweaked and it's ready to go now. I setup the rear bar full stiff to see if we can on power drift again . I've a list of small checklist of things to do before October. Just extra preparation to try and think of everything possible. When pay good money for a track weekend I like to just show and drive. Checking oil and tire temps should be the most involved things to deal with while there. Can't wait!

88 M3
    91 318is
    91 318i
    83 320is
    08 X3 3.0si

My Cars
    E30M3,318is,318i,E21320
    hey guys. . . scraping off a huge layer of metal dust from the garage pc area to post a quick update

Been building on the M lately, but stopped for some 320 track prep. The wheels are ordered and hope to soon have the tires mounted on them. Was checking fitment with some 20mm spacers to bring backspace about what we already have with the old bbs wheels. The old wheels are pushing 36+yrs old now so not really safe for track use IMO. Wheels are expendable items seeing lots of braking heat cycles they can and will eventually crack. I'll save the 15x7 bbs for autox only. Bought a set of e30 bmw TRmotorsport 15x8 20mm offset. With 20mm spacers the backspace is about 4" exactly as with the 4" backspace of the bbs. The steering heim is closest and probably could of just used a 1/2-20 heim and will change if need be. Mounted on 95mm bull nose studs. Have full thread studs if need be but right now don't think we'll need them (100+mm) Just an observance I put these tires and wheels next to my M3 and they are about exactly as wide as the 235/40/17 NT01's

New Schroth 6pt harnesses. Much more comfortable and safer. Super tight fit on the lap area using 2" really keeps the body closest to the seat as possible. 3" shoulders allow to still use the hans. NRG suede wheel for most grip especially when using gloves.

Will have to break out the grinder again i'm sure especially on the rear to make this wheel tire combo fit. The front looks ok after a trim of the splitter we hope.

88 M3
    91 318is
    91 318i
    83 320is
    08 X3 3.0si

My Cars
    83 320 82 320
    I was going to order these wheels I fit 225/45/16 on my e21 with some cutting....

My Cars
    E30M3,318is,318i,E21320
    Success . Late Friday night went to my buddies shop with brews to have the tires mounted and spin balanced. Paid him in beer of course. Today, used the same minimal invasive technique as did on the M3 for clearance in the rear. Wanted to avoid cutting if possible. Hammered the lip flat most of the way around inside the rear fender. Then removed the springs and used the phone book or equivalent. These days phone books aren't big enough so a RV catalog was used. Don't knock till try it but learned this a few years ago from the honda forum of all places . By bouncing the car chassis you work the metal in a perfect shape of the arch. I usually ask a person to help for the extra weight. Standing in the trunk, the rear window ledge or trunk quarter edge. Really bound on it 10 or more times and check for clearance lowering on the tire. It really takes less than you'd think. The phone book seems ghetto, but it's actually the perfect tool. By having multiple pages it allows them to all slip over each other when bouncing on it forming the perfect shape. It seems silly unless you try it, but promise it really does work. I"ve used it three times now with 100% success. Tried to wedge with the baseball bat a bit but nothing really worked as well as the phone book plain and simple. It's my go to method.

These wheels fit super nice now with additional clearance for the tire to grow with heat. I'm completely stoked to try it out. Maybe tomorrow a road test. Put the PFC pads on all around and will drain the fluid for castrol SRF.

88 M3
    91 318is
    91 318i
    83 320is
    08 X3 3.0si

My Cars
    E30M3,318is,318i,E21320
    The initial test drive was a bit scary . Grip feels super good for a 320. Right away had to adjust the brake bias to not lock the rears as much. The PFC11 pads and sticky wider tires showed we're a bit aggressive on alignment setup for track use IMO. Was locking the rears much easier and could slide the rear too easily. The pfc's have insane bite in combo with sticky rubber made things a much narrow window to adjust. The alignment setup needed attention also.

Another suspension re-adjust was in order; mainly the track widths. For autox been running insane front trackwidth and been dialing out oversteer setting the rear softer (springs and bar settings) and more roll center. It's worked awesome but once wider tires sticky rubber seems a bit much for aggressive driving at higher speeds ie over 60-100+ mph. Decided to dial it back a bit. Was 55.5" rear trackwidth and 57" front (+1.5") . Rolled in the heims on the front control arms taking out a half inch per side to make it 56" front (+0.5") which is more inline with the way I run the E30M3 for track use. Re-aligned the car since that effects camber and about everything else. Put back on the scales and checked over everything.

Rear control arm toe bolt. Yes been on my track list of to do things. So Just for giggles decided to not take any chances and add a safety for the rear toe link on the control arms. Added an additional tether loop of 3/16" winch cable around the main knuckle of the control arms. Should be good for 4000 lbs break strength in case the arm lets go it may just hold things together long enough to bring under a controlled stop. Just extra insurance since it's homemade. Sticky tires and serious track brake pads have no mercy on parts. Things are now going to be stressed near limit; well except for putting hoosier R7's on it

Another test drive and everything is much more stable. A bit more confident and will just have to see how it does. I'm sure won't be as fun for autox, but probably less pucker factor at higher speeds. Still tweaking the brake bias knob, but very close and works much better than the first drive.

Sticking with alignment of 10deg caster up front the axle line is just ahead of the oil cap; perfect

88 M3
    91 318is
    91 318i
    83 320is
    08 X3 3.0si

My Cars
    E30M3,318is,318i,E21320
    With suspension well sorted put some focus back on the power plant. Tried to eek out the last of the gains if any. This is what takes patience with rounds of trial and error. Cam timing revisited. Wanted to see if moving the cam around gave anything else. Tried intake centerlines at 108, 110(stock), 112, 114.

Seems daunting but actually simple on this motor to repeat changing it around. This is once again where removable front end setup is awesome. A few hand fulls of bolts and undoing 4 hose clamps. The motor is wide open exposed to retime.
    After each cam timing adjustment, I'd have to let the motor cool off about 1hr, then drain water to remove the radiator. Once timed and buttoned up would heat back up, then readjust the distributor timing using the Innova timing light since now it's off in relation to the cam. Like say it seems a daunting task but repetition really makes it a quick job to repeat. Believe it or not the entire process takes less than 1.5hrs, with most of that time is the waiting for it to cool off before disassembly.

Road testing. I tune by road since no dyno around. Dyno's don't prove a whole lot to me personally unless shows most area under the curve. Some of them can do this and could also do the average math. Not interested in peak numbers cause they usually mean nothing on a track day.

Adjust till the motor revs fastest possible to redline. In a nut shell that's all there is to it. To setup I have an area with two spots I use to road test. First spot is a 2nd gear pull between two markers of a sign and mailbox. I roll to the sign at 3k rpm in 2nd gear, when reach the marker go WOT and see where I hit the limiter before the mailbox. Keeping a stop watch to click off and track the seconds it takes. Also note where 2nd gear runs out in distance to the mailbox usually before if quick enough.
    Second spot is the real test with higher load; a 3rd gear pull test up a large continuous incline. Same thing as before I use a marker point and approach at 3k rpm in 3rd. There are three markers along the way to gauge. Again using the stopwatch to start and keep seconds. Poor mans accelerometer. Works for me every time.

The winner? Stock 110 intake centerline. Surprised a bit here too but probably a good reason for this. My best reason is the cam was ground knowing to time it would be bolted to a stock cam gear. Some manufacturers offset grind their cams so customers can install "straight up" or use factory marks. This way anyone can put the cam in and time where the manufacturer intends. A lot of aftermarket does this making install easier on those without a degree wheel.

There may be small gains retarding the cam further but the motor starts to rev slower(feels and timed by stopwatch). Peak hp might be slightly higher but, this makes the car slower. That is mainly due to the overlap on a SOHC cam cannot be split. If move the intake lobes your moving the exhaust also. The intake retarded (more charge, late close) moves the powerband higher and usually gives more power at the top, but if the exhaust is retarded too far the revs will slow down. Exhaust valve is opening too late. Ideal you want to capture the most charge. Scavenging has limits . Every setup is different, but appears in this case stock timing is sufficient using TEP's 294 cam. Since the EX+IN lobes are joined the window where this happens is easier to find cause your moving both simultaneously. With a larger displacement this usually can tolerate a much later opening. But does no good if the exhaust valve timing hinders progress.

An issue some fix with heavier steel rockers is limited revs. Max revs to aluminum rockers(77 chunky ones) is about 7500. Any more and even at 7500 your time is usually limited to eventually snap a rocker. Steel ones are a way to reach higher revs but need higher spring pressures for the extra mass. To replace a broken one requires pulling the head . Aftermarket rockers are a must to run larger cams to climb into higher revs. I don't plan on it anytime soon. Keeping the 38 carb and TEP 294 cam.

Other notes to try retarding the cam(make act larger) besides larger displacement is when using longer rods (longer piston dwell time at TDC). Last is also flow of head, valves size, porting, and intake tract lengths. The exhaust system can also restrict effects. Has to be thought of as a wave tune from air filter to muffler.

AFR's were within 11.5-12.5 during testing approaching redline.

Made up a quick camera mount for the gopro. Wind noise outside is just too much, will try a in car setup.

88 M3
    91 318is
    91 318i
    83 320is
    08 X3 3.0si

My Cars
    E30M3,318is,318i,E21320
    I feel the car is as ready as can be. Went back to the trailer. Finally had a day to make a rack to store things. Wanted enough width for a tire carrier to put 255s on 9" wheels if ever haul the M3. Can put wheels above or add another spot below in the future. Not blocking the winch, and storing the ramps was on the list. Also wanted a work surface area for when using tools or just a space if need be for parts etc. Little bench space is doubled up aluminum road signs so about 3/16" thick. Didn't really have a design just made up as I went. Knew the spacing for holding the wheels and just went with it. The wheels are held by the center bores on a pipe sleeved in a PVC pipe to keep from marring. The end plates keep the honest person honest and the tube in the wheels. A single strap keeps the set bound to the rack by the tube. Another rack can be made below but I only have one extra set of tires at a time We'll probably add tie downs etc but this is a good start.

88 M3
    91 318is
    91 318i
    83 320is
    08 X3 3.0si

Page 22 of 34 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223242526272829303132 ... LastLast