Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Where would you want to live when retired.

My Cars
    2003 530i
    I've lived all over the world growing up. No place better than the Carolinas. I'm just south of Charlotte, NC now barely across the border in SC. Lower taxes and traffic still not too bad. Can't beat being 3 hours from either the beach or mountains. July and August can be hot and humid but I love the rest of the year. If you come down as a Yankee try to fit in with the culture instead of telling us how you do it up North. Yes you have better bread and pizza but that's about it. By the time I retire in another 17 years it won't be the same down here....right now I can still hunt and fish but liberals will soon change all that most likely. Had a skeet and pistol and rifle club called Charlotte Pistol and Rifle club. Been there forever. Then the subdivisions were built around and complaints started.........the Gun club was there first deal with it!

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Just moved to the SW, no massive snow storms or weeks of temps in the 20's or lower. It's a little hotter in the summer however you just can't beat the 10-15% humidity when it's hot.
    No roads full of pot holes, lower gas prices and property taxes. No Beacon Hill types here trying to figure out how to get their hands deeper into my back pocket to fund their favorite kickback schemes.
    Traffic is much better than most places in the northeast corridor.
    Don't need a front license plate to mess up the front of my 540. Pretty much year round Cars and Coffee and cars shows.
    Did consider moving to the Raleigh area or west of there, been there plenty of times. It's just toooooo hot and humid, then there's the church thing that GG mentioned. Pretty much the first question everyone asks (except my bforums friends there) is what church do you go to. Can't do Florida, too many wack jobs there plus hurricanes in the SE.
    Much closer to the real mountains here, SantaFe and Taos are just up the road, can be in AZ or UT in a few hours. Great national parks in both states.

My Cars
    525it,02 525it,73 2002
    It won't be for a couple years till we think about the move. If it wasn't hot and humid in summer,wouldn't feel like home.
    Been to 39 states but never Arizona or New Mexico. Think I would love the Mountains and Scenery, just can't get used to the idea of all those
    100˚ days. I also like the idea of less people though.

My Cars
    2008 E90 335i
    Quote Originally Posted by jp5Touring View Post
    It won't be for a couple years till we think about the move. If it wasn't hot and humid in summer,wouldn't feel like home.
    Been to 39 states but never Arizona or New Mexico. Think I would love the Mountains and Scenery, just can't get used to the idea of all those
    100˚ days. I also like the idea of less people though.
    Come to desert mountain. It is up north of the Phoenix metro area and constantly 10° to 15° Cooler than downtown Phoenix. It is only 22 miles away from the good stuff too, and you are surrounded by golf, car events, and a smaller town feel.
    E90 335i
    On3 Performance top mount single turbo kit, Precision 6466 Turbo, ECS Tuning charge pipe, 7in FMIC, JB4 w/ MHD backend flash, Stage 3 fuel pump, Port injection, E85, some wheels that came w the car but are thick

E39 540i (SOLD)
    6 spd swap, "Almost Nardo" Vinyl Wrap, JB Racing LTW flywheel, M5 clutch & control, BC
    Racing
    coilovers, cat back straight pipe, E60 SSK, ZHP shift knob, hard wired aux, Style 32 17", BFG G-force Sport Comp-2 tires, shadow-line trim, reenforced differential bushing, ATE Type 200, Hawk HP Plus pads, intake res delete, 10W40 M1, trans fill 50/50 Redline MT-90 & 75w90NS, solid shifter carrier bushing, pixel fix, red needles

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    I think I'm more than happy to be here in NC but probably outside of Raleigh with less population and less traffic. Just wish the humidity levels would drop. If it does then a 90-100* day would feel like 80*.

My Cars
    2000 BMW 528iT/5 SC
    My wife, Nancy, and I are retiring on Nov. 14, 2016. We've been running our Bakery for 35 years.

We're going to stay right here in Maine. We love all 4 Seasons and the roads are not crowded at all. Salt on the roads in the Winter is a bummer but we've managed to stay ahead of it with pressure washing and liberal applications of Fluid Film. We love XC skiing which is just about perfect in this town if we get enough snow. The Summer is a bit crowded with all the tourists but it's only about 10 week and if you know when and where to go things are just fine. The Spring and Fall are spectacular as everything changes.

Maine is incredibly beautiful and will take us many years to see it all. Mountains, beaches, a rugged coast line and in between. That doesn't mean we won't travel to other places in finances allow.

Can't wait.
    Last edited by jstern; 09-29-2016 at 11:59 AM.
    Much modified VF Supercharger Kit tuned by Tuning Tech FS, M5 front sports seats, CVV to catch can conversion, Boost Gauge, Schmiedmann header to rear muffler high flow exhaust, Header Ceramic coated inside & out, Exhaust heat wrapped from flanges after header to before CATs, Kicker sub with dedicated 200 watt amp, CCFL angel eyes, CF facelift kidney grills, Quaife LS diff ,Super duty cooling kit, Electric fan controlled by temperature adjustable 2 speed controller (JimLev design)

John

My Cars
    525it,02 525it,73 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by jstern View Post
    My wife, Nancy, and I are retiring on Nov. 14, 2016. We've been running our Bakery for 35 years.

We're going to stay right here in Maine. We love all 4 Seasons and the roads are not crowded at all. Salt on the roads in the Winter is a bummer but we've managed to stay ahead of it with pressure washing and liberal applications of Fluid Film. We love XC skiing which is just about perfect in this town if we get enough snow. The Summer is a bit crowded with all the tourists but it's only about 10 week and if you know when and where to go things are just fine. The Spring and Fall are spectacular as everything changes.

Maine is incredibly beautiful and will take us many years to see it all. Mountains, beaches, a rugged coast line and in between. That doesn't mean we won't travel to other places in finances allow.

Can't wait.
    Well earned enjoy. 35 years at bakery, that's a lot of very early mornings.

My Cars
    2009Jetta TDi Sportwagen
    Wherever it would be, it would have to be on or near water, preferably ocean. Moderate temps.

My Cars
    '01 740i Sp, '07 335i
    I was born in St Louis, lived on both coasts, Albuquerque, KC, Dallas and now finally in East TX. Here the scenery reminds us a lot of CT, which is why we moved here - hills and large grown trees. We lived in CT for 13 years, had stone fences running thru our back yard from the settlers when they cleared the land many years ago. We kinda got used to the landscape, no more Dallas looking into your neighbors windows or back yards. Albuq was very nice - if you liked outdoor activities, no fleas or mosquitoes (can't breed cause of the altitude). KC was nondescript, malls and museums. In Ca - Hanford (too foggy), SD (very NICE) and Oxnard - nice then but not now, too busy!

It does get warm here in the summer but trees help and then there is no STATE INCOME TAX! My house is on three acre lot with half in natural trees and underbrush.....I like it that way!!!
    Last edited by TxDarth; 11-11-2016 at 04:37 PM.
    http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm71/krallopian/darthSigTest2_zpsn6zkw5id.jpg[/URL][URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/DFW7-Dallas-Fort-Worth-BMW-7-Series-Club/300942239566"]DFW7 on Facebook/URL]
    "The Last Great e38" 2001 i Sport - Born'd on date 1/01 Cosmos/Grey - 32.8K miles - 2 1/2 " Custom Exhaust, Center “X”over , Modified OEM rear bumper, M5 style trunk spoiler, M6 OEM wheels, M3 Steering wheel with working paddle shift & CF trim, Bi-Xenon upgrade, 13mm Rear sway bar added, SS brake lines and bronze bushings, Cross drilled rotors and painted calipers, Akebono pads, Zionsville aluminum radiator & exp. tank with electric fan, Sprint Booster, BluTooth conversion, MKIV Nav., Custom wood cupholder, DUDMD Tune, Orien V2.5 LED Angel Eyes, Evans waterless. Recently added grey faced //M5 Cluster - all gauges functioning. Changed the grey carpet to black and topped off with GG Bailey front/rear mats[/SIZE]

My Cars
    05 330i
    I'm thinking Hawaii but that's probably a little too expensive.
    05 330i Alpine White
    Past:
    02 330i Titanium Silver
    R56 MCS
    00 540i6

My Cars
    '01 740i Sp, '07 335i
    Quote Originally Posted by justinca540i View Post
    Not until they build the bridge.............
    http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm71/krallopian/darthSigTest2_zpsn6zkw5id.jpg[/URL][URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/DFW7-Dallas-Fort-Worth-BMW-7-Series-Club/300942239566"]DFW7 on Facebook/URL]
    "The Last Great e38" 2001 i Sport - Born'd on date 1/01 Cosmos/Grey - 32.8K miles - 2 1/2 " Custom Exhaust, Center “X”over , Modified OEM rear bumper, M5 style trunk spoiler, M6 OEM wheels, M3 Steering wheel with working paddle shift & CF trim, Bi-Xenon upgrade, 13mm Rear sway bar added, SS brake lines and bronze bushings, Cross drilled rotors and painted calipers, Akebono pads, Zionsville aluminum radiator & exp. tank with electric fan, Sprint Booster, BluTooth conversion, MKIV Nav., Custom wood cupholder, DUDMD Tune, Orien V2.5 LED Angel Eyes, Evans waterless. Recently added grey faced //M5 Cluster - all gauges functioning. Changed the grey carpet to black and topped off with GG Bailey front/rear mats[/SIZE]

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    Quote Originally Posted by justinca540i View Post
    And there's practically nowhere to drive, which is a huge downside. There's a guy over in the touring section who recently bought a 540i Touring in Hawaii and he spends the vast majority of his time in traffic there. Plus if you want to buy a car in Hawaii you either have to choose from a very limited local selection, or pay thousands to ship a car from the mainland.
    1995 525i 5-speed - Thread

My Cars
    05 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyzabolotny View Post
    And there's practically nowhere to drive, which is a huge downside. There's a guy over in the touring section who recently bought a 540i Touring in Hawaii and he spends the vast majority of his time in traffic there. Plus if you want to buy a car in Hawaii you either have to choose from a very limited local selection, or pay thousands to ship a car from the mainland.
    Ehh none of that really bothers me. Plus I'd actually go to maui or kauai. https://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/ctd/5867271822.html
    05 330i Alpine White
    Past:
    02 330i Titanium Silver
    R56 MCS
    00 540i6

My Cars
    2000 528i Sport Wagon
    + 1 for NC - however I prefer to move to where I'd normally vacation which is in the Mountains.
    Blowing Rock, Asheville, Brevard are all great places.

Our next venture is Knoxville as we're still researching where we want to move to.
    TN has no state income tax so check Chattanooga, Knoxville etc.

Plenty of city life without overcrowding and in the hills and short drive to the mountains - BlueRidge Parkway is nearby, lots of National Parks etc

I wish I was there already - Born and raised in Jacksonville Florida and more than ready to GTFO.........
    “I don’t know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.”

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by E39n00b View Post
    I wish I was there already - Born and raised in Jacksonville Florida and more than ready to GTFO.........
    Heh heh. Unfort J-ville has pretty awful perception w/ rest of world... guess you're not arguing to hard with that...
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    2002 BMW M3 Coupe, 05 X3
    Someplace where there are no smog restrictions. Living in California is kind of a pita when it comes to dealing with smog laws, or anything automotive related.

I still have quite a long time before making a final decision on where I would want to retire to though.

Skwisgaar is offline No longer with us ... RIP
    Retired Moderator
    My Cars
    B8 4X4
    Check out NC. Blowing Rock was mentioned and is awesome. I was there last weekend. I live in New Bern which is on the Trent and Neuse Rivers and about 40 minutes from Atlantic Beach. Pepsi was invented a block from my office and it's also home to Hatteras Yachts. MCAS Cherry Point is 10 minutes away. Moen and Bosch also have plants here so the economy is pretty healthy.

The hospital here is rated in the state's top three and the cancer center there is in the country's top 10. The town has been rated in more "Best Place To Retire" lists than I can remember.

You get a taste of all four seasons, the water, history (2nd oldest town in the state, est. 1710), art and culture, a gorgeous historic downtown, virtually no crime, and low taxes. State income tax is around 5.75% and property taxes on a $350k house are $3500 per year in the city limits and a little less than half that outside the city limits. And $350k buys a fully appointed 2500-3000 sq ft brick house in an awesome neighborhood.

I am a Realtor here so PM me if you want to know more and I'll be glad to help.

My Cars
    2008 BMW 335i Convertibl
    I'm also contemplating the same move in a couple years.

I've traveled and lived around the world and really like a lot of places but,,,,,,,,,,,I have to say my wife and I are intrigued by Sedona Arizona. We've been there a few times and can't wait to get back there every time we leave.
    There's a lot to do if you're active. There's a big difference in temperature between there and Phoenix just to the south.
    Now when I say retire to Sedona I mean for Winter. I absolutely love living in Wisconsin during the Summer and Fall.
    My wife and I would most likely maintain homes in both places.
    Look! Before our very eyes, the future is becoming the past.

My Cars
    325ix, 325ix, 540i
    I grew up and live in the DC area, but my second family (I'm their unofficial adopted son) is from NC and I have traveled to most states. I think I would have to consider somewhere between Richmond VA and Raleigh NC. Hopefully somewhere on the side of a mountain or forested hillside with a creek and / or lake near by. However, since I am 37 years from retirement I cannot say what that area will look like in 2054. Perhaps it'll have to be somewhere in Ohio or Tennessee by then. The southwest would be my second choice, it's beautiful and cars last forever out there.
    If your e30 runs bad, switch to Megasquirt first. Then try new spark plugs, cap and rotor, wires, oxygen sensor, crank shaft position sensor, coolant temp sensor, air flow meter, idle control valve, throttle position sensor, digital motor electronics unit, harmonic balancer, fuel injectors, engine harness...

My Cars
    2000 M5, 1998 Volvo V70
    Born and raised in Sweden, travelled alot, been to most of Europe, Fl and Ca in the states, Thailand, Argentina, Egypt, Russia etc.

Making plans for retirement around 65 so it's 25 years ahead. Sweden in the summer is a no brainer for me for many reasons. The light here up North on the globe is fantastic, even in the south of the country (I'm on the same latitude as Nome in Alaska btw ) we have 17 or so hours of daylight in the summer months, but the winters are getting really old, specially here down south where we hardly get any snow anymore so it's just dark, wet and gloomy from mid october to the end of february.

Would love to spend the winters in southern California but will settle for Costa Del Sol in Spain, around Alicante would be perfect.
    Last edited by Das Leg; 03-03-2017 at 05:19 PM.

My Cars
    2003 325Ti Z3 '99
    You're all mad...come to New Zealand, but not Auckland. Lots of space, good roads. (We do drive on the wrong side of the road though.)
    Tony.

My Cars
    2003 E46 M3 / E30 Vert
    Quote Originally Posted by tonynang View Post
    You're all mad...come to New Zealand, but not Auckland. Lots of space, good roads. (We do drive on the wrong side of the road though.)
    Tony.
    I have a friend who lives in NZ actually. He is some famous gun shooter or something. But he has shown me some of it and it is a beatiful place. I could be a kiwi i think.

Buuuuut. Switzerland, Puerto Rico, or Canada. In no specific order.
    Last edited by Thrifty S50; 08-03-2017 at 12:14 AM.

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Tony.
    Except we hear all the time how $$$ and PITA car parts availability is down there, ey?
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    2000 M5, 1998 Volvo V70
    Tony.
    NZ would work for me, absolutely gorgeous part of the world.

My Cars
    BMW 540i
    Why not Auckland?
    1997 540 / 6 Sport, 2001 540 staggered rims
    Suspension = Bilstein B8 Performance Plus Struts, Xeon headlights & fog lights, LED tail lights, Evo short shifter, Custom air engine intake, 3 inch dual exhaust hollow cats,NGK iridium spark plugs, removed -clutch delay valve

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast