Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where would you want to live when retired.

My Cars
    525it,02 525it,73 2002

Where would you want to live when retired.

So I'm seriously considering retiring this October when I turn sixty. If you could live anywhere in the USA where might that be and why ?
    I'm in Michigan now which is great 7 months out of the year. Michigan winters are getting old.Real Old.

So lets hear it where/why.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Milder climate, not too hot and humid, no snow. How about Florida? Florida 55+ Active Adult Retirement Communities https://www.55places.com/florida
    Have never been in Florida, but from climate info it might be o.k.
    When I retired with 63 I moved out of mega city Tokyo, more space, much cheaper land prices to build a house or buy something. And if I want to visit Tokyo, there is a express train and I am in downtown in less than 1 hour. By car it would take me more than 1 hour and highway toll for the car plus gasoline is more than the express train, and parking fees in Tokyo per 30 minutes are more than I have to pay here per day at the train station. That is why I drive express train and subways, cheaper and faster.
    And when I need a doc, dentist or whatever for medical care, we all have it here. I do not need a big city anymore after retirement, have lived long enough in these mega big, expensive and crowded cities like Hongkong and Tokyo.
    How about other countries outside the U.S.? Australia Gold Coast?
    Last edited by shogun; 08-05-2016 at 09:40 PM.
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    No where but in NC I think.

My Cars
    525it,02 525it,73 2002
    Shogun thx for the input. I don't think I'm quite ready for Retirement Communities yet. Florida is pretty hot and muggy in the summer but were
    looking at the Gulf Coast maybe just for the winter months. I would consider other countries,She not so much.

auaq, N.C. might be tops on the list. We have enjoyed our time their.

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    I think my reason is because it kind of reminds me of my hometown.

My Cars
    2013 BMW 1 Series
    NC and I'm living there. Plenty to do no matter the venue that you seek. Active BMW community, Nice friendly Church;s, good schools. Last but not least cost of living is moderate for the Eastern region of the US
    Last edited by subwayaz; 08-05-2016 at 10:46 PM.

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Where in NC?

My Cars
    2013 BMW 1 Series
    Quote Originally Posted by auaq View Post
    Where in NC?
    The Triangle area(Garner). Nice area. Oh cool. SO do you go to the BMWCCA (Tarheel) monthly meetings? I do nice group.
    Nice to meet you
    Last edited by subwayaz; 08-05-2016 at 10:50 PM.

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Nice to meet you too. I live in Raleigh area. There are a few of us in RTP namely: Redshift, MrTreeThyme, Reefin Dude, CSBM5, olds350, Daytripping, and many more that I can't remember at this moment. I like to go to the Cars and Coffee in Wake Forest every last Saturday of every month. I haven't been to the Tarheel thing yet.

My Cars
    525it,02 525it,73 2002
    I think my reason is because it kind of reminds me of my hometown.
    I see what you did their.

My Cars
    2008 E90 335i
    Scottsdale, Arizona in Desert Mountain.
    E90 335i
    On3 Performance top mount single turbo kit, Precision 6466 Turbo, ECS Tuning charge pipe, 7in FMIC, JB4 w/ MHD backend flash, Stage 3 fuel pump, Port injection, E85, some wheels that came w the car but are thick

E39 540i (SOLD)
    6 spd swap, "Almost Nardo" Vinyl Wrap, JB Racing LTW flywheel, M5 clutch & control, BC
    Racing
    coilovers, cat back straight pipe, E60 SSK, ZHP shift knob, hard wired aux, Style 32 17", BFG G-force Sport Comp-2 tires, shadow-line trim, reenforced differential bushing, ATE Type 200, Hawk HP Plus pads, intake res delete, 10W40 M1, trans fill 50/50 Redline MT-90 & 75w90NS, solid shifter carrier bushing, pixel fix, red needles

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    Either North Scottsdale or Ahwatukee. When I'm old and retired I want to see as few people as possible, and I don't ever want to see any lower class people. I already cringe whenever I'm forced to go to the west side of Phoenix, it's so ghetto there.
    1995 525i 5-speed - Thread

My Cars
    E46
    Mediterranean sea and related (Ionian sea, Adriatic..). Mybe Lefkas island in Greece..
    For me the best part of the globe (aldo didnt see all of it) for living .

My Cars
    2003 540i6
    Oregon. West of the Cascades. Doesn't get too hot in the summer, and you still have seasons. Summer tops out around 80 while Winter drops down to the low 30's. Barely any snow, but I hear ice is an issue in the winter. Hardly any direct sunlight, and lot of rain too! No sales tax is a plus, and it's gorgeous out there.
    2003 540i/6

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    Quote Originally Posted by waters17 View Post
    Oregon. West of the Cascades. Doesn't get too hot in the summer, and you still have seasons. Summer tops out around 80 while Winter drops down to the low 30's. Barely any snow, but I hear ice is an issue in the winter. Hardly any direct sunlight, and lot of rain too! No sales tax is a plus, and it's gorgeous out there.
    That sounds awful to me haha, I like it to be 80+, I hate the rain, and I like the sun. I don't like seasons either, I'd rather it be summer all year round.
    1995 525i 5-speed - Thread

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    On second thought, how about Pluto? Don't have to worry about worldly affairs, polution, killings, stealing, money, etc. I would then have proper freedom.

My Cars
    525it,02 525it,73 2002
    On second thought, how about Pluto? Don't have to worry about worldly affairs, polution, killings, stealing, money, etc. I would then have proper freedom.

Gotten to touristy.However there is another planet that might be good for you.

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    And which one would that be?

My Cars
    02 bmw 540
    And which one would that be?
    Uranus??

My Cars
    2003 540i6
    Quote Originally Posted by Mannyf540 View Post
    Uranus??
    There are gaseous fumes around Uranus.

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mannyf540 View Post
    Uranus??
    Leave it to Manny...

My fave bits of USA tend to be...

Northeast obviously (not for everybody, also obviously, esp if you want to avoid winter ),
    several parts of Cali - mid-coast and north (lots of variation in CA, good and bad...),
    PNW,
    rockies Colorado/Montana etc. are great...

then the Mid-south, like Va/Carolinas has lotta good people... Personally I can't get too far south without it being a bit too churchy for me (NTTAWWT) so I could live there but would need to be in the right kinda places. My sis and lotta friends are down there happily.

I suspect i'd like S-W, just haven't spent much time there.

Chicago is awesome but not my place to live.

I know there's good people in flyover country but it's too flat and one dimensional for me. I need either mountains or ocean or woods or something, hopefully some of each.

Deep south bayou country and TX I dig but weather is too hot and again I'm not churchy enough for folks down there generally. Good place to visit but would struggle full time. Unless I lived w hippies in Austin or something. But that wouldn't work either really.

Oh. And. Florida can suxballz AFAIC. No offense. People who love it, great for you , not my thing. I'll come visit you, then go home.

Oh yeah but I could easily live in half dozen places in Europe.

Did my time in Asia already but I could do a stint in a hong kong or Singapore still. Aus or NZ stint, easy. But unlikely to retire in APAC.

But that's just me.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    2008 E90 335i
    North Rio
    E90 335i
    On3 Performance top mount single turbo kit, Precision 6466 Turbo, ECS Tuning charge pipe, 7in FMIC, JB4 w/ MHD backend flash, Stage 3 fuel pump, Port injection, E85, some wheels that came w the car but are thick

E39 540i (SOLD)
    6 spd swap, "Almost Nardo" Vinyl Wrap, JB Racing LTW flywheel, M5 clutch & control, BC
    Racing
    coilovers, cat back straight pipe, E60 SSK, ZHP shift knob, hard wired aux, Style 32 17", BFG G-force Sport Comp-2 tires, shadow-line trim, reenforced differential bushing, ATE Type 200, Hawk HP Plus pads, intake res delete, 10W40 M1, trans fill 50/50 Redline MT-90 & 75w90NS, solid shifter carrier bushing, pixel fix, red needles

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    South pole.

My Cars
    1999 540i
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    Leave it to Manny...

My fave bits of USA tend to be...

Northeast obviously (not for everybody, also obviously, esp if you want to avoid winter ),
    several parts of Cali - mid-coast and north (lots of variation in CA, good and bad...),
    PNW,
    rockies Colorado/Montana etc. are great...

then the Mid-south, like Va/Carolinas has lotta good people... Personally I can't get too far south without it being a bit too churchy for me (NTTAWWT) so I could live there but would need to be in the right kinda places. My sis and lotta friends are down there happily.

I suspect i'd like S-W, just haven't spent much time there.

Chicago is awesome but not my place to live.

I know there's good people in flyover country but it's too flat and one dimensional for me. I need either mountains or ocean or woods or something, hopefully some of each.

Deep south bayou country and TX I dig but weather is too hot and again I'm not churchy enough for folks down there generally. Good place to visit but would struggle full time. Unless I lived w hippies in Austin or something. But that wouldn't work either really.

Oh. And. Florida can suxballz AFAIC. No offense. People who love it, great for you , not my thing. I'll come visit you, then go home.

Oh yeah but I could easily live in half dozen places in Europe.

Did my time in Asia already but I could do a stint in a hong kong or Singapore still. Aus or NZ stint, easy. But unlikely to retire in APAC.

But that's just me.
    Whew......... So glad you didn't mention the North Country............

Stay away! We don't want your kind 'round here.....

My Cars
    Too many
    Las Vegas. Other than 4 months of 100 degree "dry" heat, the other 8 months is delightful. A cold day here is 55. We also have a low cost of living and no state income tax. Old BMW's like Las Vegas because they last here.
    1994 e36 325i convertible, 5 spd samoablau metallic-just acquired
    1994 e34 525i schwarz II auto
    1985 Nissan 300zx 5spd
    1991 e34 535i calypsorot metallic 5spd-SOLD

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast