Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My First, First 3 Series Build (1977 content)

My Cars
    1977 320i

My First, First 3 Series Build (1977 content)

Well gentlemen it took a year, but I finally have an E21 in my garage!
    first pic.jpg
    I wanted a pre face-lift, slicktop, non-A/C, and rust free car. I found and purchased this one sight unseen from a shady used car dealership 2800 miles from my house. To be clear I knew this was a risk, and not the "smart" choice but as I was looking for a project car not a mint collectible I was okay with that. It arrived last night with a dead battery and an understandably cranky driver. I've not been able to do a thorough inspection yet because I bulged three disks in my back Tuesday night, but here are my initial notes:

The good:
    It is a pre face-lift, slicktop, non-A/C, and (almost) rust free car.
    Starts up right away, and will idle without stalling.
    Interior is in nice shape for its age.
    The interior wear and mechanical originality seem to indicate that it might actually be a 58,000 mile car and not a roll-back

The mehhhh:
    Its been driven 300 miles in the past 9 years, it definitely needs a tune-up
    (Parts are sitting on my shelf)
    A PO installed an aftermarket radio (now Broken), new speakers, and new wires. I prefer a working stock or stock appearing head unit
    (Low priority I can change it down the road)
    It sits very low. I have not got under the car to look close yet, but the springs are bright red. I'm guessing they are cut aftermarket lowering springs.
    (I'll inspect this closer and decide what to do once I can bend)
    It is an original California car with the thermal reactor and full emissions set up intact (passed smog in 2014).
    (I'll keep my eye out for a Tii manifold, or try that TEP shorty header and go full 2.5 down the road, but what I have works so it can wait a bit)

The bad:
    Paint! The car was carefully photographed to cover up the worst of the damage. The driver side door and trunk lid both have bare metal, and there are paint bubbles around the bottom edge of the windshield
    (For now I will just stop the rust with rust encapsilator and prime over the bad spots, down the road I'll have a respray done)
    All of the the rubber around the doors, trunk, and glass is roached. Expected, but still bad.
    (The weatherstripping I can replace, but the front and rear windshield gaskets will be more complicated)
    The electrical system is not okay. The headlights (high & low), turn signals, horn, and possibly the fuel gauge do not work. The running lights and hazards work, and the wipers sort of work. The dome light is always on.
    (I'll start troubleshooting this weekend, so many thins are inop that I'm guessing it is something simple, but so much for everything work)
    The rear exhaust section is not installed correctly and the pipe is resting on the rear cross member.
    (I'll investigate the rest of the exhaust when I get the car up on stands, but its a simple fix)

The Ugly:
    NO Battery hold down bracket, and apparently everyone else just threw them away and relocated to the trunk. Small thing, But I want it fixed right now.

Overall I'm happy with the purchase and looking forward to bringing this car back to excellent condition, and driving it far more than any of its past owners did.
    Last edited by WantingAfunE21; 08-04-2016 at 09:17 PM.

My Cars
    1981 320i silver
    Looks real good. I can see the rust bubbles under the windshield gasket when zoomed in on the picture. In that case rain hitting the windshield will go into the glove box. Going to need to be pulled and dealt with eventually.
    Last edited by okieflats; 08-04-2016 at 11:12 PM.

My Cars
    1977 320i
    good thing to have a garage...lucky. My 10 foot paint job became a 20 footer in 4 years. I own 4 tarps now though. Looking good!

My Cars
    E21 323i, E36 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by dups View Post
    good thing to have a garage...lucky. My 10 foot paint job became a 20 footer in 4 years. I own 4 tarps now though. Looking good!
    My mint paint job became a 3/4-miler in 26.

My Cars
    1978 323i
    hey congrats on your project!

I might have a brand new hold-down bracket for you for the price of shipping, if you haven't ordered one yet..

My Cars
    1977 320i
    The price of shipping, and a couple cold pints sounds more reasonable. PM me your PayPal info.

My Cars
    1977 320i
    Well, feeling a bit better so did some basic work, and looked around better.
    -First off I cleaned all the grounds, which were very very corroded and this fixed most of the inop electronics. Just need to troubleshoot the horn, and the cabin light that won't turn off and they should be good to go.
    -Springs are BavAuto, and don't appear to be cut, and the shock appear to have been replaced as well, although I'm unsure of the brand.
    -Only thing I found missing on the car was the dust cover for the steering rack, which is an easy fix.
    -Not surprisingly the rest of the suspension wear components appear worn and will need to be replaced at some point.
    This weekend I'll do the fuel filer, air filter, valves, and go through the ignition and hopefully I'll be on the road. I've not done a valve job before, or messed with points ignition so I'm a bit nervous, but they seem to be simple jobs.

My Cars
    1977 BMW 320i
    Nice purchase. Much better shape than most I'd guess. I'm in Columbia, so not far away. I need to have my valves adjusted I guess. That kind of work is above my pay grade.
    Visit my 1977 320i Build and BLOG page HERE.

My Cars
    1977 320i
    Quote Originally Posted by Lugnutz77 View Post
    Nice purchase. Much better shape than most I'd guess. I'm in Columbia, so not far away. I need to have my valves adjusted I guess. That kind of work is above my pay grade.
    Lol...you've tackled waaay harder stuff. I did a valve adjustment diy thread a while back. It's pretty easy, easier than the front end suspension stuff you did. You really get to know the engine when you do it too. For me, it solved a high idle problem that I had been chasing for 2 years.

My Cars
    1977 BMW 320i
    Quote Originally Posted by dups View Post
    Lol...you've tackled waaay harder stuff. I did a valve adjustment diy thread a while back. It's pretty easy, easier than the front end suspension stuff you did. You really get to know the engine when you do it too. For me, it solved a high idle problem that I had been chasing for 2 years.
    I won't hijack this thread, but I just broke down 30 minutes ago right in front of a repair shop THAT I HATE 'cause they are crooks. Fuel leaking onto the road at the back of the car. Car cut off suddenly. Probably just a busted fuel line. Now I'm waiting for the big bill.
    Visit my 1977 320i Build and BLOG page HERE.

My Cars
    1980 BMW 320i E21 M10B18

Cool

I won't hijack this thread, but I just broke down 30 minutes ago right in front of a repair shop THAT I HATE 'cause they are crooks. Fuel leaking onto the road at the back of the car. Car cut off suddenly. Probably just a busted fuel line. Now I'm waiting for the big bill.
    Thats why I do my own maintenance, the dollar goes a lot further .

Welcome to the BMW E21 Club Wanting , lol

Randy

My Cars
    1977 320i

08/11/2016

Sorry to here that, hope the bill wasn't too bad. Once it cools off I bit I'll be heading up to Columbia to try out a local brewery (or two), maybe we can meet up and trade terrible PO stories. My two part update is:

I got and installed my brand-new-in-the-bag Battery Hold-down Bracket from cgifool, thanks again!
    Battery Hold Down Bracket from CGIfool.jpg

... and I determined that my interior light was broken on, well because it was literately broken on. Don't judge me too hard its my first 320i and I didn't immediately realize the switch was part of the light. The switch had snapped off in the on position and the PO apparently decided "screw it batteries are stupid anyhow". So I have placed a new one on order.

My Cars
    1977 BMW 320i
    I walked into the shop and told him it was an old BMW and his eyes rolled back into his head. He said they didn't know anything about "those cars". I told him it was a busted fuel line at the back of the car and it should be simple to fix. I was right. Total bill was $30. I could have done it for $3 but I was stranded. Worth the money this time.

My Cars
    1978 323i
    yeah im not looking forward to when I start driving mine around town and the high risk of random breakdowns for a while!

My Cars
    1977 320i

New fuel filter and a rough exhaust.

I changed my fuel filter this morning before it got too hot. I thought they were up front by the battery in these cars, but mine was right next to the external pump over the passenger side half-shaft. Is this a 77 only thing? The good news is that the gas in the tank seemed okay. the bad news is the exhaust....

Its my understanding that the 77 has one less hanger, but this is still unsafe. It is also vibrating quite a bit as it is resting on the sub-frame. I'm hoping that for the short term I can buy a new center hanger and install the rear doughnuts to properly support the two sections. Eventually they will both have to be replaced, but I would like to avoid that until I can find a decent aftermarket solution.

My Cars
    1977 320i
    Still waiting on the exhaust components, but the new doughnuts at least keep the exhaust off the rest of the suspension and fuel components. After setting my timing I finally went for a decent (25mi) drive. Overall it went well but, I had two problems
    -Squeaky wheel bearing. Hopefully re-greasing them will fix this up.
    - Stalling on occasion when coasting or letting off the gas to shift. Search function says this is due to the three hoses letting in air bubbles at the rear of the car. Got new hoses and clamps ordered.
    Getting closer to a good running car!

My Cars
    sold 78 BMW 320i
    Note about the exhaust system: If you still have the original resonator and muffler, they are probably contaminated with an extra ~20 pounds of rust and carbon. If you don't mind a little more 'rumble' exhaust noise, I suggest taking the car to an exhaust shop to cut-out the resonator and install a ~60$ muffler and new 'universal' hangers. Unless you want to keep it as stock as possible and can source OE replacement parts.

That center exhaust support is good to have, incase the rear hanger fails, so keep looking for that.
    Tbd

My Cars
    1977 320i
    Quote Originally Posted by epmedia View Post
    Note about the exhaust system: If you still have the original resonator and muffler, they are probably contaminated with an extra ~20 pounds of rust and carbon. If you don't mind a little more 'rumble' exhaust noise, I suggest taking the car to an exhaust shop to cut-out the resonator and install a ~60$ muffler and new 'universal' hangers. Unless you want to keep it as stock as possible and can source OE replacement parts.

That center exhaust support is good to have, in case the rear hanger fails, so keep looking for that.
    I got the factory stuff (center and rear) with new hardware for about 150 total, that will do fine for now. I also sourced a 2002 manifold to replace the thermal reactor, and get rid of the emissions/EGR stuff. I'm just fighting through the list of "while your in there" stuff that should be done as well. My cars vacuum system is cobbled & jammed together so I'd rather just delete what I don't need, and try to get it running properly after. It is putting a pretty good hurt on my wallet though.......

My Cars
    1977 320i
    Today I did a couple small fix's inside the car
    08_24_2016 Interior parts.jpg
    Replaced the cabin light that was broken killing the battery. I also put in a replacement rear defroster switch, which is absolutely necessary to drive the car in SC during the month of August. Lastly I put in a radio delete plate my neighbor gave me after seeing the hole in the dash. I was originally for a Honda, and required four tabs to be trimmed, but I think it looks quite nice.
    08_24_2016 Delete panel.jpg

My Cars
    1977 320i
    My muffler did the same thing. After I put the '02 manifold on, I was able to get it all straightened down the line. Some say to get double doughnuts on the back. "They don't make 'em like they used too".

My Cars
    1983 BMW 320i M20 Turbo
    1999 Z3 Coupe 2.8L

CHECK OUT >>>
    RAGE DRIFT DESIGNS <<< FOR DECALS AND MORE!

My Cars
    1977 320i
    Last week I did a valve job, and replaced all of the ignition components. The valves were mostly okay with only two being tight, but the points was gap at almost 0.023. Needless to say the engine runs much smoother now. I still have a vacuum leak somewhere as the idle remains at about 500 with very little change when the dipstick is pulled. I've collected just about everything needed to get rid of the Cali smog and EGR system, and assume I'll find the problem when I pull the intake off. Hopefully the basic stuff will be done soon!

My Cars
    1977 320i
    Well, I didn't take any pictures, but over the past couple of weeks I've converted my exhaust using a later Tii manifold, and some new exhaust sections. It sounds much better, and runs quite a bit better as well. The EGR tube had a crack and was venting hot exhaust into the engine bay. I also removed the screens from the fuel distributor, soaked the injectors in sea-foam, and Rebuilt the WUR. The Warm-up circuit is still not correct, so after the holidays I'll buy a pressure test set and start troubleshooting. Once the car is warm though it idles well and rev's smoothly. Next small task on the list is to investigate a tight drum, after that I plan to completely go through the brakes.

My Cars
    sold 78 BMW 320i
    Right on.

Regarding possible vacuum leaks that are commonly overlooked:
    1) For your 2.0l engine; Check the rubber hose/coupling on the bottom of the engine oil dipstick tube.
    2) For your '77; check the vacuum ignition timing 'retard' circuit for vac leaks. Make sure the vac source to the timing valve is connected properly too.
    3) If the air pump is still installed; check the 'blow-off' valve for vac leaks.

And as always: replace the fuel hoses on the suction side of the external fuel pump if they've not been replaced yet.

*I'm assuming the fuel tanks and primary fuel filter are in good condition...

The tight drum may be a brake fluid leak from the rear brake cylinder. If one is leaking - replace both.
    Last edited by epmedia; 11-24-2016 at 05:46 AM.
    Tbd

My Cars
    1977 320i
    Thanks EP!
    1) I replaced this with a section of hose cut to the length of the original piece, just to make sure.
    2) This is all new line a well, and connected per the vacuum diagram.
    3) All of that stuff is removed, with the EGR port in the manifold, as well as the various intake ports being plugged.
    4) Replaced the three hoses per your recommendation.

I will pull the drums and check for a leaking cylinder, but I think that I just did a bad job of adjusting them as it was my first time and the nuts were close to seized. I will soak them in some penetrant and try again.

Just wanted to say thanks again this work has made the car driveable, the stalling on throttle lift off is gone, and it revs like a new car.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast