Autogeek.net Car Care Products
** 10% off @ Autogeek.net - PinnacleWax.com & Wolfgangcarcare.com - Coupon Code = clubmember

Thread: How long to wait before waxing refinished wheels?

My Cars
    2018 M3 6MT, 2001 740iL

How long to wait before waxing refinished wheels?

Last week I had my M-Pars straightened/blasted/painted/polished/cleared. How long until they can be waxed?
    Internets tell me everything from 7 to 90 days. edit: ( but just about every thing I am reading says at least 30-45 days )
    Also what wax would you recommend? The wax I would otherwise use is Meguire's Cleaner Wax, which I use on my car bodies. Its not wheel specific. I've previously used it on wheels and they kept them in great shape/easy to clean. It mentions it lightly polishes too. Not sure if that's an extra no-no on fresh-ish paint and clear on the refurbed wheels.

Also pending an answer from people who did the refurb...
    wheels.jpg

Thanks
    Last edited by agentrnge; 08-03-2016 at 06:32 PM.

My Cars
    2013 BMW 1 Series
    I would agree with between 30 - 45 days. I've had a few VW's that had some nice paint jobs done and never waited longer than 40 but after 30. With no problems

My Cars
    2018 M3 6MT, 2001 740iL
    Eeep. found a 1/3" flake of paint missing already.. before I even went to install them. Not a good sign.
    On the other hand they look reaaal nice otherwise. Maybe they can patch them. I will let them know.

My Cars
    03 zhp, 97 e36m3, 04 zhp
    Cleaner wax would have elements designed to remove contamination, but you want pure wax that will protect the surface without removing anything from it. I believe wheel waxes are formulated to withstand to higher temperatures caused by your brakes.

My Cars
    99 M Coupe
    All off gassing of the paint and clear should be done by the 30 day mark.

Car wax is going to be quite useless really. It melts at too low a temp for wheels so it'll be gone within hours.

Go with a good sealant like Powerlock or Rejex or better yet, coat them with one of the many coatings available.

My Cars
    525it,02 525it,73 2002
    Mine are powdercoated. I use Wheel Wax a couple times a Summer and No it doesn't melt off.

http://www.autogeek.net/wheelwax.html

My Cars
    99 M Coupe
    ^^^^^
    Yup, that wheelwax looks fine. Read the descriptors and you'll note 'space age polymers, sealants,' so it's more than a wax.

These days you have to read the ingredients quite carefully, you can't just go with the trade/brand name. Companies deliberately use common words for their products so people don't get confused - Meguiars used to do that too, sell a sealant as a 'wax', just because it sort of worked like a wax and calling it a wax was way less confusing for the buying public.

Anyway, read carefully and if it's pure carnauba or montan or beeswax or some combo thereof, keep looking.

My Cars
    bmw z3 2002
    I've waited one month for mine in the same situation, and had no trouble from it.

My Cars
    E60 530d LCI M Sport
    if they have been baked you will have no issue, also i would coat them with a ceramic coating instead of a wax.