Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Refurbishing the color on M dash questions.

My Cars
    F30 328d X-Drive

Refurbishing the color on M dash questions.

So my car has had a rough life before I got it and I am trying to bring it back to a better state of being.

My dash has some scratches/scrapes in the Blue coating right in the flat center of the dash. I have the dash out of the car and I would like to repair/refurbish this section. I am guessing I need to sand it down and re-spray it with whatever coating BMW used. Does anyone have any idea what they used on the main section of the dash. It is Estoril Blue with black leather dash pods.

Also my dash pods (especially the drivers side) were pretty damaged so I got some tan ones from a local junk yard and peeled the leather off them and want to recover them. I got some cheap cheap cheap micro suede on Amazon to give it a go. I was able to cover the hump for the drivers side and the Air bag cover on the pass side easily and it looks great. The rest of the dash pods are a different story. They have such a hard angle going toward the center of the car that the material wants to bunch up and just cant stretch that much. Has anyone successfully recovered these parts and if so, how did you do it and what did you use! Pictures are a bonus if you have them.

Thanks!

My Cars
    Audi B8.5 S4
    On the paint, I wish I knew. I asked once quite awhile ago, and there weren't any answers. I only have a bit of rubbing around the window switches, and I just wanted some paint to touch up the parts that were worn down.

For the dash pods, there are some folks who've re-covered their dashes. Trying to dig through my memory banks to recall who...

My Cars
    '95 M3 '00 M Coupe
    Yesterday I tried to find some spray paint for my rear dividers, with little luck; I found some beige that was really close. Home Depot offered to color match my panel but they can't make color match spray paint, only a small sample can. If you have a paint gun, you can use it to spray the paint. I would try this method IF you have a spray gun (automotive or home) or own a house where buying a paint spraying system makes some sense. I got lucky and found a similar color and it's for painting the mounting tabs, so they really aren't visible. I just couldn't justify buying a paint gun to paint some non visible tabs the perfect shade of beige. And I don't have the facilities or space to do automotive paint (closed paint booth, drying lights, etc), although I wish I did

db
    [oo]|[||][||]|[oo]
    '95 M3 Cosmos Schwarz Metallic on Dove Grey: AA CAI, AA bump up kit, Euro HFM, JC chip, AA track pipe, AA Gen III exhaust, AA ltw flywheel and clutch package, X brace, front strut brace, Koni SA shocks, H&R sport springs, GC RSMs, 71 deg T-stat, aluminium housing, JT-D underpanel, Hamann black out grill kit, oem euro lights all around, 18" BBS RC 10s, UUC motorwerks pulley kit, 3 spoke steering wheel, silverstar H1s fog light bulbs, ZKWs w/CCFL, Prolumen 4300k HIDs, Powerflex RTAB and LCAB
    (<oo\(||][||)/oo>)
    '00 M Coupe Oxford Green II Metallic Sunroof Delete on Oregon Beige: (under construction)

My Cars
    '98 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by ///Mpmp1025 View Post
    If you have a paint gun, you can use it to spray the paint. I would try this method IF you have a spray gun (automotive or home) or own a house where buying a paint spraying system makes some sense. I got lucky and found a similar color and it's for painting the mounting tabs, so they really aren't visible. I just couldn't justify buying a paint gun to paint some non visible tabs the perfect shade of beige. And I don't have the facilities or space to do automotive paint (closed paint booth, drying lights, etc), although I wish I did

db
    For small areas I've successfully used an inexpensive airbrush kit. It takes a bit of practice to get the right mix of paint, solvent and technique but it's not all that hard.

I have this $50 one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BFEB23E...ing=UTF8&psc=1
    Jim

1998 ///M Roadster
    2007 Audi RS4
    2016 Audi S4

My Cars
    F30 328d X-Drive
    I have access to an air brush and booth at work for smaller stuff and Could pick up a spray gun from harbor freight if necessary.

Does anyone know what paint is used on the dash and trim pieces? Is it just the body color without a clear on it?

My Cars
    '95 M3 '00 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by MRFAST View Post
    For small areas I've successfully used an inexpensive airbrush kit. It takes a bit of practice to get the right mix of paint, solvent and technique but it's not all that hard. I have this $50 one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BFEB23E...ing=UTF8&psc=1
    that is pretty cool. I'm gonna go check out my local hobby shop; I really don't have any other use for it but I can always use a new hobby.

What type of paints can I use with this kit? If I get color match paint from Home Depot, can I use it? I'd be interested in learning how to mix paints and matching colors but have a feeling I'm in for a relatively steep, time consuming and expensive learning curve.

db
    [oo]|[||][||]|[oo]
    '95 M3 Cosmos Schwarz Metallic on Dove Grey: AA CAI, AA bump up kit, Euro HFM, JC chip, AA track pipe, AA Gen III exhaust, AA ltw flywheel and clutch package, X brace, front strut brace, Koni SA shocks, H&R sport springs, GC RSMs, 71 deg T-stat, aluminium housing, JT-D underpanel, Hamann black out grill kit, oem euro lights all around, 18" BBS RC 10s, UUC motorwerks pulley kit, 3 spoke steering wheel, silverstar H1s fog light bulbs, ZKWs w/CCFL, Prolumen 4300k HIDs, Powerflex RTAB and LCAB
    (<oo\(||][||)/oo>)
    '00 M Coupe Oxford Green II Metallic Sunroof Delete on Oregon Beige: (under construction)

My Cars
    '98 M Roadster
    Most of what I've done is use car color match paint and add acetone to thin it to touch up scrapes and chips. I mask off the spot(s) I want to paint and I said it down lightly and wipe it with acetone to clean it. I test my mix on a piece of paper and when I have it the way I want it I go to work on the spot u prepared. Very light touches and let it dry, then repeat until I get the look I want. Then sand and compound at the end. And then the same with the clear coat. With patience I can come up with a real good finish. Flat colors do best. Metallic is much harder with silver and other light colors being the most difficult.

I think you can use most any type of paint. Just get the appropriate thinner for the paint and experiment with mix ratios.
    Jim

1998 ///M Roadster
    2007 Audi RS4
    2016 Audi S4

My Cars
    '95 M3 '00 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by MRFAST View Post
    Most of what I've done is use car color match paint and add acetone to thin it to touch up scrapes and chips. I mask off the spot(s) I want to paint and I said it down lightly and wipe it with acetone to clean it. I test my mix on a piece of paper and when I have it the way I want it I go to work on the spot u prepared. Very light touches and let it dry, then repeat until I get the look I want. Then sand and compound at the end. And then the same with the clear coat. With patience I can come up with a real good finish. Flat colors do best. Metallic is much harder with silver and other light colors being the most difficult. I think you can use most any type of paint. Just get the appropriate thinner for the paint and experiment with mix ratios.
    thank you. I'm gonna look into one of these tomorrow.

db
    [oo]|[||][||]|[oo]
    (<oo\(||][||)/oo>)

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by Venom13132 View Post
    I have access to an air brush and booth at work for smaller stuff and Could pick up a spray gun from harbor freight if necessary.

Does anyone know what paint is used on the dash and trim pieces? Is it just the body color without a clear on it?
    No, it has nothing to do with the exterior paint. If someone can match the original color and finish Id love to buy some. Havent seen anyone do so as of yet...

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    Z3 3.0 - X1 35i - X1 28i
    Quote Originally Posted by ///Mpmp1025 View Post
    Yesterday I tried to find some spray paint for my rear dividers, with little luck; I found some beige that was really close. Home Depot offered to color match my panel but they can't make color match spray paint, only a small sample can. If you have a paint gun, you can use it to spray the paint. I would try this method IF you have a spray gun (automotive or home) or own a house where buying a paint spraying system makes some sense. I got lucky and found a similar color and it's for painting the mounting tabs, so they really aren't visible. I just couldn't justify buying a paint gun to paint some non visible tabs the perfect shade of beige. And I don't have the facilities or space to do automotive paint (closed paint booth, drying lights, etc), although I wish I did

db
    If you go to a top end automobile paint supplier, they can usually color match a color and put it in a spray can for you. The problem I see is will it hold up and will it ever really match or will your eye always be drawn to it?

My Cars
    F30 328d X-Drive
    My buddies dad owns a body shop and does some high end work. Maybe its time I paid him a visit.

As far as a perfect match goes. Might just have to paint it all at once.

My Cars
    z3
    The original interior color is closer to a high strength plasti dip. Ive looked into getting it color matched but not a lot of options that I have seen.

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    F30 328d X-Drive
    So I got a hold of some pristine Black M door panels. I am considering just going all black on the interior since the blue on everything (aside from my seats, because the previous owner swapped them with a better set) is faded and scratched. I like an all black interior even though it can be hot as crap in there. I just need to find a good paint to use on the interior that will hold up over time and to heat/UV. I may potentially die the seats black also. Thoughts?

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M

My Cars
    F30 328d X-Drive
    http://www.colorbondpaint.com/collec...-refinisher-11

anyone used this for the dash? I am going to do the dash before I do anything else. My dash has a deep 2" long and about 1/4" wide scratch in the blue right in the center of the dash and its all the way through the finish to the black plastic.

My Cars
    z3
    Never heard of them buuut if they color match I have some samples I can loan if it means our interior colors may be made available for others to use for projects like these.

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    F30 328d X-Drive
    the place randy suggested color matches

the color bond paint is what Bavauto sells on their site (way cheaper to buy direct from colorbond). They do not color match but they have a BMW black.

Anyone have a trick to removing the VIN sticker from the dash so it can be reapplied? Or can you get new VIN stickers from the Dealer?

My Cars
    z3
    You can get new VIN stickers from the dealer, but it isn't always easy. It can be removed though, some of the Z3 interior swap DIY's have info on that (though most of it is general "I moved the VIN placard" and may not go a lot into detail). If you have a spare dashboard to experiment with now, I'd fiddle with trying to get that VIN off cleanly before moving onto your dashboard with the VIN you do need intact.

Leatherique color matches but I've used their product before and it will not be the right texture AFAIK...

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    1999 BMW M Roadster
    Since you're talking Estoril Blue, here's what I did for my steering wheel thumb tabs, which looked like doo-doo (especially after fresh leather wrap on the steering wheel). It may be much more difficult to get good results trying to do a complete dash.

I work at a paint store (residential house paint kind of place). We carry an acrylic bonding primer called UMA, by a company called XIM. I brought the air vent in and color matched the estoril blue into the UMA primer. I then put it into an aerosol (not many paint stores have this ability) (you could also us a cup gun and compressor) and sprayed the thumb tabs. My color match was at about 95% - close enough and you can't tell it's not perfect given the space between the thumb tabs and the dash. I unfortunately didn't keep track of the paint formula. I then lightly wet-sanded them, and coated them with Krylon's Matte finish clear acrylic. Overall, it looks pretty good, although I'd like to give it another go to get a smoother finish on my clearcoat.

If I had the whole dash to do, and the dash was out of the car, I'd bring it (along with the guage/ radio panel, the shifter panel, and the a-pillar covers) to a body shop and have them match and spray them, using a "hot-rod" matte finish on the clearcoat.

Last edited by dklay; 08-29-2016 at 05:42 PM.

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Roadster
    I actually want to do this at some point. Thanks, dklay.

My Cars
    F30 328d X-Drive
    That blue looks pretty nice! The leather wrap on the wheel looks amazing also. Where did you have that done?

So I have 2 M Estoril Blue Dash Boards my crappy M Estoril Door panels and a mint set of M Black door panels. I have blue and black A-pillars also. I am really considering going to all black on the interior. My drivers seat has been recovered at some point. The leather is puffy on it in the butt area opposed to the passenger seat which is pretty flat and tight. My only fear in dying the seats is that it will come off on me. I really don't want to make the interior look worse!! haha. I like the blue/black interior but also love the all black interior. My car is neither low miles or very rare when it comes to M Roadsters so I don't feel like a color change will hurt the value, but I am also not planning on selling the car in the foreseeable future.

My Cars
    Z3 3.0 - X1 35i - X1 28i
    Someone approached me with a pair of black M seats recently. You could buy those and sell yours if you're worried about doing a dye job...

Send me a PM if you want and I'll hook you up with the guy.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Venom13132 View Post
    The leather wrap on the wheel looks amazing also. Where did you have that done?
    thanks. DIY with the leather ordered from Redline Leather, the only option being the dark blue thread instead of standard black or the more usual "M" tri-color. I pulled the steering wheel while the car was off the road for the winter, so I could take my time.
    Last edited by dklay; 08-30-2016 at 06:11 PM.

My Cars
    F30 328d X-Drive
    Quote Originally Posted by dklay View Post
    thanks. DIY with the leather ordered from Redline Leather, the only option being the dark blue thread instead of standard black or the more usual "M" tri-color. I pulled the steering wheel while the car was off the road for the winter, so I could take my time.
    http://www.redlinegoods.com/Z3shiftboot.php
    Looks like something I will be doing this winter also! I have limited my spending on the car to $ I get from selling spare parts I have laying around for the rest of 2016 haha so it may be a little while before getting around to this. But the wheel is pretty easy to get off of the car.

I ordered some supplies from Colorbondpaint.com I got the LVP Refinisher in BMW Black along with the Dash Clear protectant and the adhesion promoter. Hopefully I can get going on it this weekend and I will post up some photos as I go.

IMG_9230.jpg
    Last edited by Venom13132; 09-08-2016 at 01:48 PM.

My Cars
    F30 328d X-Drive
    I got started on the project. Looks like it is going to turn out pretty good. I first sanded down the dash with some 120grit then some 350grit paper before spraying. I then sanded that with the 350, sprayed again, wet sanded with 500, sprayed again, now I am going to wet sand with 800 then 1500 and put the UV clear on that and wet sand that.

Picture of the scratch on top:
    IMG_9236.JPG

Sanded
    IMG_9245.jpg

Will update some finished pictures soon.

Here is a brand new, from ECS tuning, painted black, trim piece:
    IMG_9272.JPG

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast