Thread: Need help deciding between 2 cars!

My Cars
    02' 325i

Need help deciding between 2 cars!

New to the forum here. I've been looking at a 2001 525i, and a 2003 325xiT. I test drove them both this past week and can't decide which one I should go with, so I'd love to hear some experience from you guys to help guide me as this will be the first BMW I've owned. Both cars are manuals and right at 160k miles.

The E39 is a very sound car and drives great. The current owner has taken very good care of it. However, the interior center console looks like it's just now starting to fall apart a little (a/c buttons breaking off, cup holder broken). The bigger issue is that from what I understand, the e39's tend to have some electrical issues as well as more frequent and expensive repairs compared to the e46. I could probably get this one for about $3500.

The E46 feels more nimble, and an all around more comfortable car to drive. Engine sounds like it's running great and the interior is in great shape give or take a few scrapes. However, when I test drove it earlier today, the gear changes felt a tad bit clunky and I noticed a slight vibration only under acceleration that felt like it was in the differential. Used car lot is asking $4k but i think i could talk them down a bit.

So basically my question to you Gods of BMW is, Which vehicle would you believe to be the best bet for purchasing?

P.S.: I'm planning on getting a pre-purchase inspection done, but at $115 a piece, I'm really not trying to have both looked at

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited by Licata; 07-30-2016 at 03:18 PM.

My Cars
    are slow
    I'd say the E39.

Get a new climate control panel and a set of proper cupholders, you're golden.