RM European Auto Parts

Thread: 1996 BMW E39 535I Trans Issues

My Cars
    1996 BMW 535I E39 Sedan

1996 BMW E39 535I Trans Issues

I live in Australia and brought a october 1996 BMW E39 535I from a freind to help them out and it has a step tronic transmission in it that is in limp mode .I would like to know what would be the best 5 OR SIX SPEED MANUAL CONVERSION TO FIT TO THIS CAR PLEASE as it seems no supposed expert here in OZ can help me . I keep getting told that I cannot put a later E39 535 i transmission in it. What would you suggest I do THANK YOU VERY MUCH for your HELP.

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Welcome to the forum, Robert.

I'd have to recommend that you first try dealing with the present transmission, rather than assuming you need a new one.

For instance.....do you have any engine trouble codes? If you have a major intake leak, or a bad MAF, the transmission will go into limp mode, because it's receiving incorrect data from the engine computer. And have you changed the trans fluid and filter? Have you read all the codes from the trans computer, engine computer, and ABS computer? If any of these are unhappy, they can put the transmission into limp mode.

Does the transmission work properly if you clear the codes in all three above computers? Does it work properly if you shift it manually?

If this is a V8 M60 engine, there is nothing in the world more prone to intake system leaks......you need a smoke test.

It sure would be a dirty shame to do a transmission swap, and still have the same problem, because of incorrect diagnosis.

You can't fix what's wrong, until you KNOW what's wrong.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    1996 BMW 535I E39 Sedan
    Sorry ,i have been away driving trucks interstate .my transmission does not change either manually or auto not even steptronic. What other transmission and computer could i swap it out with if any would prefer to use a zf if any body knows thanks

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertFraser View Post
    I live in Australia and brought a october 1996 BMW E39 535I from a freind to help them out and it has a step tronic transmission in it that is in limp mode .I would like to know what would be the best 5 OR SIX SPEED MANUAL CONVERSION TO FIT TO THIS CAR PLEASE as it seems no supposed expert here in OZ can help me . I keep getting told that I cannot put a later E39 535 i transmission in it. What would you suggest I do THANK YOU VERY MUCH for your HELP.

Welcome to the forum, Robert.

I'd have to recommend that you first try dealing with the present transmission, rather than assuming you need a new one.

For instance.....do you have any engine trouble codes? If you have a major intake leak, or a bad MAF, the transmission will go into limp mode, because it's receiving incorrect data from the engine computer. And have you changed the trans fluid and filter? Have you read all the codes from the trans computer, engine computer, and ABS computer? If any of these are unhappy, they can put the transmission into limp mode.

Does the transmission work properly if you clear the codes in all three above computers? Does it work properly if you shift it manually?

If this is a V8 M60 engine, there is nothing in the world more prone to intake system leaks......you need a smoke test.

It sure would be a dirty shame to do a transmission swap, and still have the same problem, because of incorrect diagnosis.

You can't fix what's wrong, until you KNOW what's wrong.

You just DON'T throw transmissions and computers at a car because the present trans is in limp mode, when you have absolutely no idea of why the transmission is in limp mode. What is the exact wording of the trouble codes in the DME, EGS, and ABS computers?

And: You cannot swap in a different auto trans and computer; you'd have to use the identical parts.

Are you aware that something as simple as a bad MAF will cause transmission limp mode?

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    E36 328is, E87 116i
    I think he's really eager to convert it to a manual aswell at the same time
    C217 S63 AMG S Cabriolet ( Daily )

E87 116i with mild cams, headers, cold air intake making 136 bhp Lol (My Learning Track Car)

E36 328i Sport ( Project in making and future race/track car )

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Well, if that's actually the case, there is no computer swap involved, because the manual doesn't use a computer. The DME will need to be reflashed. The only manual trans would be a G420 from another V8 E39, and he'd need pretty much everything involved, from the manual car: shifter, linkage, pedal cluster, interior bits, driveshaft, master, slave, hoses, brake reservoir, etc..... Really, it would be much more cost effective to buy a manual car.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412