Thread: Recommend some good Shocks/struts and brakes for an M44 Z3

My Cars
    1998 Z3

Recommend some good Shocks/struts and brakes for an M44 Z3

I am thinking I'd like to replace the shocks/strts and the brakes on my 98 M44 5 speed Z3 roadster. Just looking for good factory performance with a budget in mind, although a budget/upgrade would be considered as well. It seems ebay has sets of front struts and rear shocks for <$200, but I am not sure on quality or ride of those. My car has 66k on it currently, and I only put about 3-4k on it a year.

Any other suggested upgrade/replacement parts to do with these would be welcomed as well.
    1998 Z3 1.9L Dinan Stage 3.

My Cars
    Are Slower than yours.
    IIRC OE is Sachs left part # 115689 good price should be around $160. Right is 115690 same price. Bilstein is a OE suppler and theirs cost around 97$ for the B4 model struts.

Some decent after market ones would be KYB left# 334605 for around $99 and right side is 334604.

if you want something with more dampening... you could go with the Bilstein B8 model struts they run around $170 each.

As for brakes you have tons of choices. Some OE brands that i have used are TRW, Pagid, ATE, Jurid & Textar. IF you want some cheaper.... some good after market brands are Akebono Euro, Bosch, Centric. just keep in mind the difference in pad compounds IE OE-organic, ceramic & semi metallic all have different brake pedal feel and some have more or less brake dust. FWIW if you're gonna keep your car I would get brake rotors that are high in carbon & that are coated in Zinc or at least the hat is painted to help prevent rust( it looks better IMO)
    Last edited by MassiveWalrus; 07-26-2016 at 05:56 PM.

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyfloyd View Post
    ... I'd like to replace the shocks/strts and the brakes on my 98 M44 5 speed Z3 roadster. Just looking for good factory performance with a budget in mind, although a budget/upgrade would be considered as well... Any other suggested upgrade/replacement parts to do with these would be welcomed as well.
    These are personal and cost preferences. Going up the scale in price and firmness, there is Monroe SensaTrac, KYB, Sachs, Koni and Bilstein.

My original Sachs were worn and unpleasant at 32,000 miles. I put on Sensen, which were very inexpensive, but rock hard and also defective, so were almost immediately removed. I have been happy with KYB for 15,000 miles, and others say they are good for 50,000 miles. If not KYB, my preference would be to go softer (SensaTrac) rather than firmer (Sachs, Koni, Bilstein). If you do spend for Koni or Bilstein, the street models will be easier to live with than the sport models.

I like the grab and bite of my BMW brake pads, and don't mind cleaning the dust frequently from the fronts (using old Kozak cloths).
    Last edited by Vintage42; 07-26-2016 at 07:58 PM.
    BMW MOA 696, BMW CCA 1405

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Roadster
    KYB also is an OE supplier for Toyota.

My Cars
    1998 Z3
    Quote Originally Posted by Vintage42 View Post
    These are personal and cost preferences. Going up the scale in price and firmness, there is Monroe SensaTrac, KYB, Sachs, Koni and Bilstein.

My original Sachs were worn and unpleasant at 32,000 miles. I put on Sensen, which were very inexpensive, but rock hard and also defective, so were almost immediately removed. I have been happy with KYB for 15,000 miles, and others say they are good for 50,000 miles. If not KYB, my preference would be to go softer (SensaTrac) rather than firmer (Sachs, Koni, Bilstein). If you do spend for Koni or Bilstein, the street models will be easier to live with than the sport models.

I like the grab and bite of my BMW brake pads, and don't mind cleaning the dust frequently from the fronts (using old Kozak cloths).
    Thanks for the replies. The Sensen were the ones I saw, but I was leery when it was $175 for all 4. Maybe for a 93 Civic with speed holes. KYB and Monroe were the ones I was looking at from a cost perspective, but had also considered the Blistens because it appeared they weren't too much more.

As for brakes, the brake dust is one thing I could do without. Both my Z3 and my Wife's C70 have terrible brake dust issues, where I would be cleaning them every other drive. Since they both need new pads, I figured I should start looking.

My Cars
    '97 Z3 1.9 DASC Auto
    I use Textar CeramicFusion pads to reduce dust. Type of pads is always going to be a personal preference.

My Cars
    98 M Roadster

As for brakes, the brake dust is one thing I could do without. Both my Z3 and my Wife's C70 have terrible brake dust issues, where I would be cleaning them every other drive. Since they both need new pads, I figured I should start looking.
    There are pads out there that don't dust much at all, but they don't feel & act like OE pads. More pedal pressure is needed, & they don't have great initial bite. It's a case of giving up something to get something else.

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by Vintage42 View Post
    ... I put on Sensen, which were very inexpensive, but rock hard and also defective, so were almost immediately removed...
    ... The Sensen were the ones I saw, but I was leery when it was $175 for all 4...
    My left Sensen strut could not be tightened because the lower mounts were not aligned (clocked) with each other, a mistake in welding them to the tube. The vendor refunded for both and I bought KYB locally.
    http://s49.photobucket.com/user/vint...tml?sort=4&o=3
    My right Sensen shock began making a faint tapping after a thousand miles. I tossed both and bought KYB locally.
    Sensen is made in China.

My Cars
    2005 BMW Z4 3.0i
    I'm (the wife is) running Koni yellows, H&R springs, 3.0 front calipers, and slotted/drilled rotors with ceramic pads. Not gonna lie, this is a magical setup. However, I understand you're looking for maybe a budget upgrade. I would ask you to understand that quality parts are going to cost a penny or two. Those cheap ebay struts I'd stick away from.

If it was me and I wanted to do a budget replacement, I'd look at KYB all the way round and get ceramic pads.
    Photbucket looking to make extra money......

My Cars
    1998 Z3
    Quote Originally Posted by Knowthebattle View Post
    I'm (the wife is) running Koni yellows, H&R springs, 3.0 front calipers, and slotted/drilled rotors with ceramic pads. Not gonna lie, this is a magical setup. However, I understand you're looking for maybe a budget upgrade. I would ask you to understand that quality parts are going to cost a penny or two. Those cheap ebay struts I'd stick away from.

If it was me and I wanted to do a budget replacement, I'd look at KYB all the way round and get ceramic pads.

Looks like KYB Excel-g's (334604, 334605, 2x 343330) in all 4 corners with new KYB strut mounts ( 2x SM5255, 2x SM5257) as well is $440 on amazon, delivered in 2 days (Prime). That's not bad at all. $290 if I don't replace the Strut Mounts at the same time.

Bilstein B4 OE Replacements (22-158826, 22-158819, 2x 19-158839) are $380 without mounts.

Bilstein B8 SP (35-044031,35-044024, 2x 24-023863) are $~$560 without mounts.

Bilstein B12 Pro Kit (46-189509) is $694 and includes springs for a 1.2" drop as well.

So many choices.

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    ... not bad at all. $290 if I don't replace the Strut Mounts at the same time....
    My mounts were OK at 32,000 when I replaced struts. A little dry of grease, but turned well in the hand, so I injected more grease. At high miles, mounts might need replacement, and are best done when struts are replaced.

My Cars
    1998 Z3
    Time for this to come back up. I just got the car out, and after driving a couple other low mile cars, I've come to realize I need new Rear shocks at minimum.

What should I look for on my mounts to see if they should be replaced (if I can before taking them out)? The car has 68k on it currently.

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L
    I have the same car. I just installed a set of bilstein B4 (sport) with HR springs and so far so good. Based on some forum feedback, I expected to have two bricks as suspension, but they feel very smooth and responsive. When doing your suspension refresh, make sure you factor the cost of new mounts (front and back) as a MUST and consider the spring pads as a good and cheap replacement. Stock mounts deteriorate and its not worth having a new suspension perform like crap if mounts are bad. Im not saying dont reuse them, Im saying check them and if they are bad, then replace them. Factor this cost.

My Cars
    1998 Z3
    Thanks for the reply. Right now I am looking at the B4', KYB Excel-G or Monroe sets with FEC front, and KYB rear mounts. Need to determine what price I want to pay, and what level I am looking for. Right now, that would be "Not Squatty on acceleration." The car is a summer driver, so anything more would be unnecessary.

Any harm in just doing the rear now? The fronts seem better than the rear on the car.

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    The struts and shocks wear equally and should both be replaced together. The front mounts may need replacement based on miles and feel in the hand. Mine were OK at 32K. Rear mounts are rubber inside and should be replaced whenever the shocks are. The UUC mounts have locked rubber, and include reinforcing plates, so seem worth the small extra cost.
    My recent KYBs are nice riding and handling, and together they do allow some squat on acceleration. I actually like that a lot. What is it with squat -- had that become the criteria for good suspension?

My Cars
    1998 Z3
    Just an update, I had the KYB-Excel-G struts and new strut/shock mounts installed on all 4 corners, along with rear brakes and new tires. I can say that it is a great improvement over what I had before. The car stays flatter when shifting now and feels more planted on the road. Wish I did this sooner. 72k on the originals.

My Cars
    2000 Z3 M-Roadster
    I'm at 82k on my original front struts. All of my excess cash is finding itself in home projects these days.
    Tony
    "You can't sign away negligence."

My Cars
    1998 Z3
    Quote Originally Posted by ProductUser View Post
    I'm at 82k on my original front struts. All of my excess cash is finding itself in home projects these days.
    Mine was too, but I slowly purchased the parts over time. The rears were purchased in early 2017. The Tires were Memorial day when I stacked the DTD rebate with the Hankook Rebate on less expensive, but still well recommended tires (1.5 of the original Michelins is equivalent to the price of these after rebate) and then I found a deal on the front struts on ebay on a clearance sale from a reputable vendor. Installation was probably about the same cost as the parts, but my time is money also, plus not having all the necessary tools, space or time.

My Cars
    E92 M3, E36 M3 evo, Z3

Brakes

I run E36 318is front brakes with semi metallic pads and it already locks up Ventus R-S4s if I am not careful. (no ABS)

Z3 1.9 is light enough that you don't really need BBK.

Suspension
    My car is currently in the shop for Quantum race suspension installation. It will have M3B offset LCABs and camber plates optimized for a particular circuit,
    but this probably isn't what you are looking for.
    I believe KW V3s will be plenty for street/fun driving.
    Last edited by kyrix1st; 06-30-2018 at 02:40 AM.