My front bumper/nose panel/parts of the hood/rear bumper need to be resprayed to some degree. The front is to fix rock chips. I was quoted $2500 for these parts which sounds somewhat high, but I know labor/materials you get what you pay for.

So, I'm thinking of tackling this myself. Here are my questions. I'm not worried about it being perfect since this is no show car, and if I mess it up, I can always have it done professionally, right?

So, for the nose panel/front bumper/rear bumper that don't need any repairs, just fix the rock chips/scratches, here is my thought process:
-clean with car wash soap
-clean with some kind of alcohol/degreaser to get rid of waxes
-sand all the areas smooth with 1500 grit? 600 grit? then wet sand to 2000 grit?
-primer the entire piece, then sand again? another primer coat
-respray in body color (2 to 3 coats?)
-spray clear coat (2 to 3 coats?)

Wait a couple of weeks and then wet sand, polish, wax?

The hood I'm a little more concerned with because of trying to blend the paint up front where the rock chips are to the back where there aren't any issues. There is one dent (from under) where I must have closed the hood on something....do I just sand the dent down?

Again, I'm not afraid to try...hell, maybe just get the surfaces prep'd and then take it to somewhere to get sprayed would probably save me quite a bit of money