Thread: M50 non vanos rattle

M50 non vanos rattle

Hello I'm not sure where to post this to ask. but tonight i noticed an odd rattle sound around 4500rpm when free reving, sounds kinda like a vanos rattle but there is no vanos. it defiantly sounds like something at the top end of the motor. I know the timing chain guides aren't broken and I'm not sure what to check.

i know this is forced induction so here is my set up and a pic :P

m50 vanos bottom end and head with some valve work
    non vanos cams
    .140 mls head gasket
    arp head studs
    cxracing top mount
    moddified hx35
    tial 38mm wastgate
    hks bov
    all 2.5 inch charge pipe
    ebay intercooler 28x9x2.5 ( small i know )
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    1993 E36 325i
    maybe the primary timing tensioner is pushing too hard against the timing chain guide because of the 140 headgasket. I friend had this issue, he cut a bit of the spring.

Quote Originally Posted by runforestrun View Post
    maybe the primary timing tensioner is pushing too hard against the timing chain guide because of the 140 headgasket. I friend had this issue, he cut a bit of the spring.
    I was think the opposite, maybe that its loose and was going to shim the spring a little bit, but i do have an extra tensioner so ill try both

Quote Originally Posted by runforestrun View Post
    do you remember how much he took off i dont want to ruin my spring. like 1 coil, 1/2 coil something like that? thanks

I'm going to bump this because it's a year or too later and I have a different motor. M50 non vanos stock block with a chain rattle that only happens at 3k rpms only while free revving and decelerating in gear. When there is load on the engine there is no noise. All chain gauges are new and in one piece. New hydronic lower tension and new upper tensioner please help. I'm even co suffering going to a thinner headgasket over my .140mls

- - - Updated - - -

I'm going to bump this because it's a year or too later and I have a different motor. M50 non vanos stock block with a chain rattle that only happens at 3k rpms only while free revving and decelerating in gear. When there is load on the engine there is no noise. All chain gauges are new and in one piece. New hydronic lower tension and new upper tensioner please help. I'm even co suffering going to a thinner headgasket over my .140mls