Thread: Convertible Top Issue

My Cars
    2006 Z4

Convertible Top Issue

I replaced the top motor according to Shipkiller's instructions ( Thank you! ) 3 years and 10k miles ago. The only thing maybe worth mentioning is when the top was almost up and the locks were about to and engaging I would hear a squeal/whine noise but the up and down operation worked just fine for the past 3 years. Now the top will go down and lock with the fob, key, or console button but will not close on it's own.......it will make a whining noise and the red light flashes but I have to use the manual release and bring the top ALL the way forward to the windshield, half way or 3/4 way does not work.....but whine continues in any position trying to go up. When I put the top all the way to the windshield it will lock and red light goes out.
    Anyone know why and what the fix most likely is? Thanks
    2006 Z4 3.0i

My Cars
    '04 BMW Z4
    I had the same issue. Only whined a tiny bit towards the final closing in normal operation. Then the top started to not work correctly. I could hear the motor running fine, top would come down more or less, but not go up on its own. Made a loud whiny noise. The loud whiny noise is because you are almost out of hydraulic oil. Most likely one of your hydraulic pistons is leaking. It will only be a matter of time before it does nothing and you won't need the release to move the top. I am going to post a few pics in a new post. Basically I pulled the top of for the diagnosis and found the reservoir empty. Funny thing is that I did not really see any sign of leakage when I first pulled the top (using Shipkillers instructions). After filling the reservoir and running the top via a battery, it leaked like crazy. The best price I could find was around $200 and some odd dollars for rebuilds by tophydraulicsinc.com. I replaced both at the same time. Tool me a full day. I disassembled my motor and found that it was fine so I decided not to change it out at that time.
    '04 BMW Z4
    '04 Suburban
    '00 Porsche Boxster
    '79 Porsche 928
    '83 Jeep CJ7
    '77 Fiat Spider

My Cars
    2006 Z4

Thank you Rupesy!

Quote Originally Posted by rupesy View Post
    I had the same issue. Only whined a tiny bit towards the final closing in normal operation. Then the top started to not work correctly. I could hear the motor running fine, top would come down more or less, but not go up on its own. Made a loud whiny noise. The loud whiny noise is because you are almost out of hydraulic oil. Most likely one of your hydraulic pistons is leaking. It will only be a matter of time before it does nothing and you won't need the release to move the top. I am going to post a few pics in a new post. Basically I pulled the top of for the diagnosis and found the reservoir empty. Funny thing is that I did not really see any sign of leakage when I first pulled the top (using Shipkillers instructions). After filling the reservoir and running the top via a battery, it leaked like crazy. The best price I could find was around $200 and some odd dollars for rebuilds by tophydraulicsinc.com. I replaced both at the same time. Tool me a full day. I disassembled my motor and found that it was fine so I decided not to change it out at that time.
    I suspected as much. Thanks for the recommendation on tophydraulicsinc. By the way I sold my '77 Spyder before buying my Z4. It was a cool car and fun to drive!