Thread: Virtualbox, Solaris, and DIS

My Cars
    1995 M3

Virtualbox, Solaris, and DIS

I have been thinking that to solve the problem with DIS (at least the EasyDIS which I have used) unable to detect that pin 26 from the DME is indeed connected to B+ terminal and hence to the battery of older OBD1 cars. That results in not having the ability to truly and fully diagnose the DME. Yes, some diagnostic of the DME is possible as I have found such as triggering the injectors for pulse with the aide of a mechanic's stethoscope or the relays clicking sound.

I had been familiar with Virtualbox, and it's ability to purposefully enable the serial port of the host machine...I wondered whether it might provide the solution. I figured running a Unix OS such as Solaris could provide the solution I am seeking. Of course, my first step was to search and found I was not the only to thought of this possibility. This one claimed it wouldn't work...there would be a kernel panic - (http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...n-VirtualBox); whereas, this one claimed it work...didn't bother to share how - (http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...ualbox-success).

So, I take it; the possibility is real. I installed virtualbox on my MacBook Pro, since I am more comfortable with that platform, and then installed Solaris 10 just to get familiar with it...I believe that, since Oracle bought Sun, there should be synergy between Virtualbox and Solaris. I must say it was a little intimidating but manages to complete the setup. I believe DIS v.57 would be the ideal candidate to try. I must say also that I am not as highly skilled as others on the forum; however, I am willing to learn with the limited available time, like other members, for such endeavor. Of course, the real setup would be on my car's Windows laptop with a "real" serial port.

The next step is to get DIS v.57 iso as well as feedback from members especially from those who have had this setup working. I just want a more efficient way to diagnose OBD1 cars since I plan to track my 95M3.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    I barked upon the wrong tree...tried to install DIS v.57.iso but no installer...I can see the packages and files, that's just about it. With that said, I am abandoning this project...a big thank you to all who took time to read.

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    Nolli, DIS is installed on a base platform - when you use DIS installed on a Virtual machine, this platform is EasyDIS. DIS can also be installed on a non-modified DIS base but you need to make configuration adjustments manually. If you want to set it up on a UNIX base, you need to follow the installation instructions for setting up DIS natively - the most comprehensive instructions for doing this that I have read were posted on this forum by forum member NZM3CSL here http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...native+install . The DIS v57.iso contains the program files only (no base) so you need to either:-
    1. Construct a virtual machine and use an EasyDIS base (which was created using a DIS v44 base platform); or
    2. Install a DIS base program (v39 to v44 should work)
    Then install the DIS v57 program files.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by David Mc View Post
    Nolli, DIS is installed on a base platform - when you use DIS installed on a Virtual machine, this platform is EasyDIS. DIS can also be installed on a non-modified DIS base but you need to make configuration adjustments manually. If you want to set it up on a UNIX base, you need to follow the installation instructions for setting up DIS natively - the most comprehensive instructions for doing this that I have read were posted on this forum by forum member NZM3CSL here http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...native+install . The DIS v57.iso contains the program files only (no base) so you need to either:-
    1. Construct a virtual machine and use an EasyDIS base (which was created using a DIS v44 base platform); or
    2. Install a DIS base program (v39 to v44 should work)
    Then install the DIS v57 program files.
    David, thank you for this awesome info. I have downloaded DIS v44 as well as Openserver 6.0 since I'll be using VirtualBox and not VMWare. My only road block following NZM3CSL's guide is the five partitions...that's because again I am using VirtualBox. I can set up the virtual machine's hard drive with 18.635GB in VirtualBox then maybe install the Openserver 6.0...it seems that the Openserver 5.07 is only for VMWare...couldn't find a standalone version.

All I need now is DIS v1.1 installation disc. I looked around on BMWCoders but didn't find it or GT1...any lead to it? Also, does DIS v1.1 has some sort of basic built-in Unix system that just needs a server and hence the need for Openserver? I have G-Parted Live CD that I could use to attempt the five partitions; however, why would I need a Win95 Fat 32?

The VirtualBox virtual machine currently has Solaris 10 32bits operating system...would DIS v1.1 install on that?

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    BMW Install CD GT1 v1.1.nrg is 16.105Mb. Email me wth a Dropbox account login details and I will upload it for you.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by David Mc View Post
    BMW Install CD GT1 v1.1.nrg is 16.105Mb. Email me wth a Dropbox account login details and I will upload it for you.
    Thank you David...PM sent with details.

My Cars
    335d

Daemon tools lite for iso files

Quote Originally Posted by NolliM3 View Post
    I barked upon the wrong tree...tried to install DIS v.57.iso but no installer...I can see the packages and files, that's just about it. With that said, I am abandoning this project...a big thank you to all who took time to read.
    Hey I saw the beginning of the post and read that you were having mounting an iso file. You can use daemon tools lite as a trial and mount it to your computer.