Page 1 of 17 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: S54 ---> Hellrot E36 328I

My Cars
    S54/E36,18 Sierra Denali

S54 ---> Hellrot E36 328I

Well after 101 considerations, I chose S54 over LSX! This all started when I pulled my 328 in the garage 3 weeks ago to install headers and an ERT S/C kit. I snapped 14 exhaust header studs right off, spent a few days under the car swearing at metal and finally decided to pull the motor out to handle this issue. 2.5 weeks later I have 11 studs remaining, 3 needing drilled and tapped and a ton of work to end up with an M52 after...no thanks.

I then considered time vs return. I wanted an end result of all this to be awesome. Like real awesome...to me that's an S54 E36. (Or lsx)

I read and read - found Kassel performance in York PA 2.8 hrs away. Called to inquire about ther swap harness, ended up with:

-05 SMG S54 101K - rebuilt vanos, guides, hub bolts, M5 bushings, CPV oring etc. Manual air box to be provided. It was a rollover, so it's dirty, few bruises, but all in all two thumbs up after discussion. Needs some love but I'll take care of that.

- walbro 255 with E36 drop in kit

-coolant pipe to accept e36 sensor

- swap harness for plug and play integration

-S54 DME w / performance tune they've developed on dyno.

- Few cool stickers haha

Total = $5200.00
    minus $1700 for supercharger I sold

new total $3500 so far

the he harness is being built to order so that will be a few weeks out. Took home the motor today.

I have a decent build build thread going here http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...-documentation!

That at will be updated for all aspects of the car, I'd like to keep this (mainly) for swap related discussion. I knows it's been done a million times...but what's once more haha

valve adjust, gaskets and such, Ron bearings to come. I'm tired today haha

few photos...99% of the time i post from my phone so uploads are an issue at times.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by PITT M3 RR; 07-17-2016 at 09:05 PM.

My Cars
    E36 M3 turbo, E90 M3 ZCP
    who is building your harness for this?
    1995 M3 coupe GTX3582R powered
    2011 M3 sedan ZCP

My Cars
    S54/E36,18 Sierra Denali
    Kassel performance in York PA.

While the motor waits

new
    - L/R timing cover gaskets
    - timing cover front main seal
    - coolant pipe o rings
    - header gaskets
    - alternate air rail o rings
    - ITBS gaskets
    - water pump gasket
    - thermostat gasket
    - main coolant pipe gaskets
    - Wpc bearings
    - Rod bolts

Still need
    - FPR
    - Filter
    - Fuel line

My Cars
    S54/E36,18 Sierra Denali
    Pedal arrived - FPR arrived - Wpc Rod bearings installed.

does anyone have a specific option list as far as cooling? To start I'd like
    to use my behr rad and e36 bits, is anyone doing this? I didn't get expansion tank w swap.

Heater hoses, those were cut from my motor.
    i planned on popping the clamp and resecureing my E36 hoses...is that a thing? Just trying to plan ahead.

And oil cooler, I leaning toward an AN adapter custom set up. Pros / cons?

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by PITT M3 RR View Post
    -coolant pipe to accept e36 sensor
    Not necessary, just remove the S54 sensor and use M52/S52 sensor. It is basically two sensors in a single package - one for DME, one for cluster.

Don't forget the CPV o-ring.

does anyone have a specific option list as far as cooling? To start I'd like
    to use my behr rad and e36 bits, is anyone doing this? I didn't get expansion tank w swap.

Heater hoses, those were cut from my motor.
    i planned on popping the clamp and resecureing my E36 hoses...is that a thing? Just trying to plan ahead.

And oil cooler, I leaning toward an AN adapter custom set up. Pros / cons?
    I already had the S54 Z3M radiator so I used it and bought the matching oil cooler & lines. Use the E46 heater hoses, cut to fit.

I also used the E46 expansion tank & SAP pump mount because they were included with my motor and I needed to keep SAP in place for CA emissions.

What are you doing for exhaust? I'd recommend starting with E46 M3 section 1 and part of section 2.
    Last edited by gpeterson; 07-26-2016 at 11:12 AM.

My Cars
    S54/E36,18 Sierra Denali
    Thanks for that info, I will definitely apply it where necessary. I have the coolant pipe piece that fits just after the water pump between there and the main head supply pipe. It was machined to accept the temp sensor so I will install the M52 sensor there then.

Since I asked, I purchased an AN fitting conversion for the oil cooler on eBay to run a custom setup. I think for price comparison I can get away with a custom set up for at or around OEM cost and have it located where I would like.

I also sourced a Z3M Cluster from gpeterson! Such a rare part, but it worked out!

So Far I'm in the build

- engine 99% complete rebuilt vanos, disk guides etc
    - swap harness
    - dme
    - tune
    - 255 walbro w sleeve
    - Viton o ring
    - coolant pipe w / sensor thread
    - 6 speed intake mani---------------$5200
    - FPR------------------------------------$70
    - Pedal----------------------------------$30
    - Wpc bearing -------------------------$300
    - Rod bolts ----------------------------$96 (2 sets)
    - Misc Seals, gaskets, orings --------$200
    - S54 Z3M cluster --------------------$300
    - Oil cooler AN fitting adapter----------$30
    - N54 studs------------------------------$36
    - Ebay headers (used)-----------------$110

I should really get the ball rolling on the hard parts install soon. I'm still waiting on my harness and a few parts from Kassel and also a few packages from ECS. I'll update as I go - really looking forward to completing this, I've been wanting to do it for a long time!
    Last edited by PITT M3 RR; 07-26-2016 at 02:49 PM.

My Cars
    S54/E36,18 Sierra Denali
    - CPV replaced with Viton O-ring

- Secured cyl 1 and 6 with new Rod bolts correctly

heres a shot of the cooling hoses that came with my motor...not the nicest haha is there a better option than just replacing these w/oem?

also the walbro with sleeve and the coolant adapter I spoke of.
    Last edited by PITT M3 RR; 07-26-2016 at 11:23 PM.

My Cars
    S54/E36,18 Sierra Denali
    After a disappointing encounter with an OEM BMW crankshaft seal, ruining it about 5 minutes after trying to install it, I ended up getting a delco seal (old style) from autozone. Install was cake, tapered edge, tapped right on.

So after that, secured oil pump nut as clean as I could. I was on the fence about welding vs wiring vs merely using red locktite...with the tools I have at my disposal I opted for worry free and tacked / ground it down smooth. Came out well.

Oil pan pan was then installed with a new gasket and some permatex red rtv. Hope I got the corners well enough. Secured in three stages and times for the proper gasket to seals.

Anyways, water pump on w new gasket as well and began vibration dampener install after cleaning everything. I need to find out if the 4 bolts here are needing to be replaced...anyone chime in? BMW says yes, is it so? Torque is 44 ftlbs the. 50° Twice in sequence.

Also so I found you can use the fan clutch tool to secure the dampner for reinstall. I didn't torque it down yet.

Lastly, oil line adapter arrived. So that's where this is all at.

- - - Updated - - -

Pics
    Last edited by PITT M3 RR; 07-28-2016 at 09:32 PM.

My Cars
    540i6 S2M5 M2C 135 S52ti
    Subscribed

My Cars
    2008 BMW M5 SMGII
    Great project. I had an s54 swap a few years ago. Just be sure to install the ebay header. You can really feel the power increase from 2000 rpm up. Goodluck on the build.
    Last edited by Johnbennett103; 07-29-2016 at 03:17 PM.

My Cars
    S54/E36,18 Sierra Denali
    Thanks guys, and will do on the headers. The tune on the DME will be set up for them so I should see the max benefit.

Anyword from anyone on the heater hose? Is OEM the way?

My Cars
    540i6 S2M5 M2C 135 S52ti
    Thanks guys, and will do on the headers. The tune on the DME will be set up for them so I should see the max benefit. Anyword from anyone on the heater hose? Is OEM the way?
    the only way

My Cars
    S54/E36,18 Sierra Denali
    Alright, I'll have to grab those AND after reading all this stuff about stretch bolts and the like, A. I am glad I re-did cylinder 1 and 6 rod bolts and B, I just ordered those 4 damn $7 bolts for the vibration damper. Stupid engineering costing me money haha but $28 vs that damper failing is a no brainer.

Also Z3m S54 cluster arrived today, thanks GPeterson!

My Cars
    97 E36M3 S54

My Cars
    S54/E36,18 Sierra Denali
    Well as I understand it, my current cluster receives an analog signal and the MSS54 DME controls certain aspects of the vehicle differently.

The A/C and check engine lights (again, as far as I know) are controlled using a signal called CAN-BUS, not analog. There for the cluster is needed for the proper control / and display of certain aspects of the vehicle. It all seems over whelming in the beginning, but as you go, it makes sense more and more.

gpeterson makes a conversion board (can-bus - analog) to be able to run a standard E36 cluster, but I would still need to source something with a higher rev limit display and ultimately spend the $ either way.

He can chime in for specifics...I tried to understand it all and I've come to the conclusion, I'm belong on the hard parts side of cars haha

started to button it all uptoday, I will be fitting a catch can system for sure, I had 110K of oily gunk build up in my itbs. Cleaning these and the cylinder head took most of my last two days between work etc...but I did it! Looking good over here.

- - - Updated - - -

Notice the threaded water pipe off of the thermostat housing. I haven't worked out what sensor where haha but it's cool none the less.

Pro tip, a 1/4 wobble head allows access to the ITBS nuts to give proper torque. Pic below and dollar store provided some decent items for about $9 total!
    Last edited by PITT M3 RR; 07-31-2016 at 12:55 AM.

My Cars
    S54/E36,18 Sierra Denali

My Cars
    540i6 S2M5 M2C 135 S52ti
    That is correct about the CAN bus... Is this an OBD 1 to OBD2 thing? Sorry I didn't read everything

My Cars
    S54/E36,18 Sierra Denali
    No worries, I'm obd2 to obd2 since it's a 98. I have emission and stuff to comply with so I wanted it up and running able to pass everything.

My Cars
    540i6 S2M5 M2C 135 S52ti
    That thing is beautiful man and 4 doors! Wow... This is going to be bad ass

My Cars
    S54/E36,18 Sierra Denali
    Thanks, it's my first sedan and I love these things in red. I shouldn't have sold my red E46M after all the work I did, but oh well Haha this will fill that void.

Heres a a link to all other aspects of the car, from back to front there isn't much that won't be replaced or atleast refreshed. http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...-documentation!

On another note, I actually found a heater hose in a box from disassembly so that's cool it may be for the expansion tank, but I'm going custom there so I can use this fitting for the other side of the motor. And another quick question, due to the fact that I have the Z3M cluster now, I'm guessing that I don't the E36 coolant sensor adapter now? I left the E46 sensor in place.

Also ordered a few -10an 45 degree angles to place at the oil housing adapter. I noticed the E46 vs Z3 line routing is different. I am going to be mounting a Setrab or similar cooler behind the kidneys. Looking at an 11.5x5.5x2 core, thoughts? I'm waiting on the new crank damper bolts to secure the front end. Same for headers and exhaust side.

Fuel line Arrived today too. There's a few aspects I am going to have to go custom on, I'll document those as I go!
    Last edited by PITT M3 RR; 08-01-2016 at 10:09 PM.

My Cars
    97 E36M3 S54
    Thank you for documenting, I plan on doing the same to my 97 M3 sedan next year. Funny we both are ex e46 m3 owners, I fell in love with that engine.

My Cars
    540i6 S2M5 M2C 135 S52ti
    I mean you would be just silly not to at least really want this motor in your E36, and some are Lucky enough to have it done... Do u guys mind if I ask why u got rid of your e46 M3s?

My Cars
    96 328is 6.0L
    Quote Originally Posted by angeleye540i View Post
    I mean you would be just silly to really want this motor in your E36...
    There, fixed it for you.
    - 96 328is 6.0L. (LS1 to LS2 build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...ad.php?2098938)
    - 96 328is 5.7L. (LS1 build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1289987)
    - 95 ///M3 6.0L. (LS2 build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1619249)

- 97 ///M3. (e46 Fender Flares/track car build thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1727098)
    - 96 328is (Dual Fuel Pump to Surge Tank thread: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...ad.php?1964025)

My Cars
    S54/E36,18 Sierra Denali
    Quote Originally Posted by M52 POWER! View Post
    Thank you for documenting, I plan on doing the same to my 97 M3 sedan next year. Funny we both are ex e46 m3 owners, I fell in love with that engine.
    no problem Man, after its done, I'll go back over the not so obvious aspects for some decent documentation. I'd like to do an LSX after this is done and possibly another one of these but full on build!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by angeleye540i View Post
    I mean you would be just silly not to at least really want this motor in your E36, and some are Lucky enough to have it done... Do u guys mind if I ask why u got rid of your e46 M3s?
    I loved my E46M, but I was always afraid of something going wrong even though I had pretty much bullet proofed the car. I was at my old job at the time and money was tighter, I had a student loan to pay off etc...I parted it out, sold it as OEM as I could for 13.5K and the mods for 6K and eliminated that student loan. If I could go back I would not have sold it now and just budgeted elsewhere.

E36 should make up for it though, very interested to feel that power in this Frame.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bimerok View Post
    There, fixed it for you.
    Boo haha I'll be tapping your threads knowledge for my lsx build later down the road
    Last edited by PITT M3 RR; 08-03-2016 at 08:49 AM.

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5
    gpeterson makes a conversion board (can-bus - analog) to be able to run a standard E36 cluster, but I would still need to source something with a higher rev limit display and ultimately spend the $ either way.

He can chime in for specifics...I tried to understand it all and I've come to the conclusion, I'm belong on the hard parts side of cars haha
    You can use the standard E36 cluster without a CAN board, you just won't have a check engine light or proper A/C.

- - - Updated - - -

And another quick question, due to the fact that I have the Z3M cluster now, I'm guessing that I don't the E36 coolant sensor adapter now? I left the E46 sensor in place.
    That is correct. The z3m cluster will get the engine temp from the DME via CAN.

Page 1 of 17 1234567891011 ... LastLast