Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Crankcase Vents - Catch Cans

My Cars
    98 Turbo M3, 04 E53 X5

Crankcase Vents - Catch Cans

What are you guys using for crankcase vents? Are you dumping to atmosphere? Using a catch can? Im dumping to atmosphere under the car though the stock vent on the OBDII cover. Im finding I need to use a catch can but not too crazy about it. Choosing the right can in key.

Up for suggestions!

98 Fern Green M3/2 - Precision 6870/AR Designs Twin Scroll/RK/E85
    2017 Toyota Tundra Crewmaxx - Family Whip
    2011 Pierce 75' Quint - Fire Apparatus West Islip FD

My Cars
    E36 Turbo
    I want to build something eventually as well.. Currently it's just open off the VC in my car... No oil comes out at all, just vapor so once in a while it's a little stinky. I'm probably going to mod the stock outlet to be larger like Chiknhead did in his thread and then go to a catch can and vent to atmosphere somewhere outside of the engine bay. Or maybe route it into the exhaust using the PCV kit from Vibrant.

My Cars
    86 325es
    I just have a hose going from the stock obd1 valve cover to a 2 inch round breather filter. I never get any oil in mine.

86 325es, 2.8L m50, S476sxe, ProEFI 128 ecu, e85, solid rear axle, TH400 trans, 28x10.5w slicks, zip ties, popsicle sticks, tape
    best time 9.06 @ 151.8 mph, best 60 foot 1.30

My Cars
    98 Turbo M3, 04 E53 X5
    Quote Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS VR View Post
    Or maybe route it into the exhaust using the PCV kit from Vibrant.
    I have this capped right now on the exhaust...Im concerned about the exhaust going into the crankcase, there is a Moroso check valve but at low pressure (blowing though) I can get air past it....

Never had any blow by til this weekend where I turned up the wick to 31 psi. Low boost (25psi) there is barely any...

My Cars
    96 332IS 6466 turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by NY98M3 View Post

I have this capped right now on the exhaust...Im concerned about the exhaust going into the crankcase, there is a Moroso check valve but at low pressure (blowing though) I can get air past it....

Never had any blow by til this weekend where I turned up the wick to 31 psi. Low boost (25psi) there is barely any...
    I get a little bit. I was messing around with different combinations of cheap ways and found my best solution. A walk through the "performance" section of a local pep boys gave me the idea. I found the longer the lines or hose I used, the more I would throw up at 20+#'s. Under 20#'s I'd have nothing. Here is my simple solution to keep it clean.

1996 332IS
    Built 3.2
    CES/Steed TS Precision 6466, spraying a "$π!℅" load of meth.
    Technique Tuning 80# tune.
    1/4 mile 10.84 @ 136.72
    Your 1 and only stop for all your BMW performance needs
    WWW.CESMOTORSPORT.COM

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    The single stock valve cover vent is probably inadequate for 4 times factory power. Add a second vent on the valve cover. Maybe a third on the oil pan near the dipstick tube (or use the side stem on an OBD2 tube as a vent). Where they go to is another matter. I have done the open vent, but eventually the discharge area gets oily. Maybe not if you drive 200 miles per year, but certainly if you drive 8000 miles per year. Open vent will also occasionally lead to oil smell inside of car. I also tried a valve cover vent directly to a filter, but the filter clogged up and got oil soaked eventually.

I am now venting to a Burger catch can with internal baffle but instead of returning it to the intake, I have a filter on the outlet side. Ideally, I'd use a can with as many inlets as you have crankcase vents and with internal baffles and with either a filter or a vacuum pull to a filter. I ran the Vibrant exhaust scavenge for several years at the 550 rwhp level and it worked fine, but it did not seem to cope as well beyond that and I am not using it currently. With that, there can obviously be no breather so you are relying entirely on one long hose and a small amount of occasional vacuum.

I'd like to look more into the electric vacuum using the BMW SAP. Some say they work OK and some say they don't. There are also a variety of schemes to plumb them.
    Last edited by pbonsalb; 07-15-2016 at 11:13 AM.

My Cars
    86 325es
    I use the same kind of filter as butters picture above except I have mine attached with a 3/8 hose and have it mounted vertically near the dipstick. Anyway that's not helpful since you already said its not adequate for you.

I would just get something like this and find a place to put it.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Moroso/710/854...LARRoCnJnw_wcB

86 325es, 2.8L m50, S476sxe, ProEFI 128 ecu, e85, solid rear axle, TH400 trans, 28x10.5w slicks, zip ties, popsicle sticks, tape
    best time 9.06 @ 151.8 mph, best 60 foot 1.30

My Cars
    E36
    I am tapping the VC for 2 big AN lines, maybe -12 to a filtered catch can that will drain back in to the obd2 dipstick. Seems like the best option, without too much hassle.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    Jaze,
    OBD1 or 2 VC? Where you plan to tap?

My Cars
    E36
    OBD2, but OBD1 is the same just have to drill through magnesium. I haven't ironed out exactly where, but I have seen it done a lot in Europe with turbo M5x.

The sandwich style fittings i'd use have just a 10-12mm lip on the back/inside part of the VC, there should be tons of room. The only certain thing is one fitting for each cam/bank of the valve cover.

My Cars
    Turbo 99' M3
    Quote Originally Posted by someguy2800 View Post

I would just get something like this and find a place to put it.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Moroso/710/854...LARRoCnJnw_wcB
    I use a black plastic version of this catch can. I run a -10 bulkhead fitting off the obdii valve cover port to pushlok rubber hose to the can. Catch can just has a filter on the top and I do not return it to the dip stick return. I'll just drain it when the time comes.

Finding a good vertical location to mount the can be challenging while trying to keep it clean looking. Mine is behind the driver's headlight and the filter is slightly compressed down (i.e. slightly crushed).

I used to just run the hose to atmosphere below the car but the vapor does eventually form into a drip which is annoying.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    The horizontal filter will get oil soaked and drip eventually, especially if on the downhill end of a hose. Vertical is better.

My Cars
    98 Turbo M3, 04 E53 X5
    Wouldn't it be advisable if you could go with the largest Inlet/outlet for these? Seems the easier it can travel (larger opening), the less likely it is to pressurize other parts of the crankcase.

My Cars
    '97 M3
    I had fabricated an air/oil separator type catch can for my car a few years back. Most of what ends up in the catch cans is water vapour which condenses in the catch can. Routing the liquid that is in the catch can back to the oil pan is not a good idea as it is highly acidic. I had a drain on the bottom of my catch can that I ended up having to drain on a regular basis. I eventually said screw it and pulled the catch can out and now I just run a 1" ID hose from the modified OBD2 valve cover down to the stock fuel filter location under the car. I park in the same spot everyday and have never had oil drip onto the floor from the hose. I do smell the blow by smell occasionally when stopped at a light and the wind catches it. That's my only complaint really.

Sent from my GTX3582R
    '97 M3, Estoril blue, 2 dr, euro 6-spd, EFR 9180 divided T4 .92 IWG, RK tuning, CP 8.5:1 pistons, Eagle rods, Schrick cams, L19 11 mm ARP studs, O-ringed block, Supertech stainless/inconel valves, Supertech springs & Ti retainers, ported head, S54 oil pump/pan, 80 lb. injectors, OBD1 intake manifold, Steedspeed twin scroll T4, 3.5" SS exhaust, eBoost2 EBC, HFS-4 W/M injection, AEM Failsafe, Zeitronix data logger, Racelogic TC, OpenOBC w. ethanol %, Ireland Eng. engine mounts, UUC black tranny mounts w. enforcers, UUC twin disc feramic, ARC-8's, MCS 2-ways, Z3 rack, Rallyroad strut bar, X brace, Eibach sway bars, Ground Control LCAB bushings, Bimmerworld RTAB's, Powerflex subframe bushings, 210 4-clutch LSD, Stoptech BBK, titainium shims, steel braided lines, brake cooling ducts.

My Cars
    1993 325is
    I know you guys can't do this, but maybe a revision of it. I have 2 -8 lines coming off the top of the VC. The OEM port is plugged. The can is home made with the VC going into the sides of the can at the top, then down through 5-6 layers of aluminum window screen, and back up the inside of a 3/4" aluminum tube out the top of the can. There is a drain on the bottom of the can that goes to a 20oz plastic bottle down in the bumper. It collects a lot of water (12-15ozs every couple weeks in the winter time, PNW and all, a lot less in the summer). I originally ran the top of the can with the breather (like photos) but got tired of the oil vapor smell. I then ran a -12 line back to the breather inlet on the bottom of the TB boot (this is the part I know you guys can't do with FI). I have checked that tube at the TB boot many many times now and it is bone dry, not a speck of oil.

busterhax is offline Y̝͎̘̍́ͣ̉͑̿̆Ō͎̼̺̬̒ͯ̃̇͗̂ U͈̖
    My Cars
    e36
    I run mine though a cheap unbaffled ebay catch can then straight to the exhaust (JEGS crankcase evacuation kit). Catch can definitely fills up and no smoking from the exhaust.
    Be sure to weld the bung in properly. No instructions are included and I believe 100% of the people who say this method doesn't work just welded the bung in incorrectly.

Up above 1.5k RPM, the exhaust evac sucks hard. I wouldn't run my ccv any other way.

My Cars
    E36
    Quote Originally Posted by jakermac View Post
    I know you guys can't do this, but maybe a revision of it. I have 2 -8 lines coming off the top of the VC. The OEM port is plugged. The can is home made with the VC going into the sides of the can at the top, then down through 5-6 layers of aluminum window screen, and back up the inside of a 3/4" aluminum tube out the top of the can. There is a drain on the bottom of the can that goes to a 20oz plastic bottle down in the bumper. It collects a lot of water (12-15ozs every couple weeks in the winter time, PNW and all, a lot less in the summer). I originally ran the top of the can with the breather (like photos) but got tired of the oil vapor smell. I then ran a -12 line back to the breather inlet on the bottom of the TB boot (this is the part I know you guys can't do with FI). I have checked that tube at the TB boot many many times now and it is bone dry, not a speck of oil.

That's exactly what I was planning except now I won't route back to the oil pan, I will just have a relief valve or something similar on the bottom to let the gunk out. Thanks for the tip Chknhed

My Cars
    E36

Love this setup.

My Cars
    1993 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by bmw328m52 View Post
    Love this setup.
    Thanks. This is what it looks like now. I should have use a blue/red AN 90, but it wasn't available from the cheap source I bought the stuff from. Oh well, save a bunch of cash and have a black fitting!! Oh and chikinhed is responsible for the good looking welding on the can!!!

Last edited by jakermac; 07-15-2016 at 04:10 PM.

My Cars
    '97 M3
    I think the requirements for the CC breather change with the higher cylinder pressures of FI running high boosts. Also, AN lines have relatively small ID's. Multiple AN lines help but the total cross sectional area is not that big. A couple of -12's would probably do it. The hose I'm using would probably be the equivalent of an AN-20 hose but I was only able to open up the bottle neck in the VC to about 0.86".

AN-6 = 0.34" hose ID
    AN-8 = 0.44" hose ID
    AN-10 = 0.56" hose ID
    AN-12 = 0.69" hose ID
    AN-16 = 0.88" hose ID

Another thing that you will find is that the fitting ID's are even smaller than the hoses so you really get ripped off as far as flow potential.

Sent from my GTX3582R
    Last edited by chikinhed; 07-15-2016 at 05:05 PM.
    '97 M3, Estoril blue, 2 dr, euro 6-spd, EFR 9180 divided T4 .92 IWG, RK tuning, CP 8.5:1 pistons, Eagle rods, Schrick cams, L19 11 mm ARP studs, O-ringed block, Supertech stainless/inconel valves, Supertech springs & Ti retainers, ported head, S54 oil pump/pan, 80 lb. injectors, OBD1 intake manifold, Steedspeed twin scroll T4, 3.5" SS exhaust, eBoost2 EBC, HFS-4 W/M injection, AEM Failsafe, Zeitronix data logger, Racelogic TC, OpenOBC w. ethanol %, Ireland Eng. engine mounts, UUC black tranny mounts w. enforcers, UUC twin disc feramic, ARC-8's, MCS 2-ways, Z3 rack, Rallyroad strut bar, X brace, Eibach sway bars, Ground Control LCAB bushings, Bimmerworld RTAB's, Powerflex subframe bushings, 210 4-clutch LSD, Stoptech BBK, titainium shims, steel braided lines, brake cooling ducts.

My Cars
    Twin turbo LS E36 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by busterhax View Post
    I run mine though a cheap unbaffled ebay catch can then straight to the exhaust (JEGS crankcase evacuation kit). Catch can definitely fills up and no smoking from the exhaust.
    Be sure to weld the bung in properly. No instructions are included and I believe 100% of the people who say this method doesn't work just welded the bung in incorrectly.

Up above 1.5k RPM, the exhaust evac sucks hard. I wouldn't run my ccv any other way.

Thats good to hear. I've been thinking about doing a setup like that for a while.

if you guys think your cars smell, take a ride in a junk yard turbo LS with .030 ring gaps. Walk into work like you just showered in oil.
    328i Sedan Twin s366's, 6.0LS, TH400, MS3 Ultimate
    9.20 at 150 on 22psi

My Cars
    E36,E38, and E46
    SAP to OEM vent. Hobbs switch for 3 psi. Zero problems with venting. If I turn it off my previous journal bearing turbo leaked bad. AS soon as I kick it on no more problems.

Funny thing is its audible at idle if I manually kick it on. You cant hear it when its in auto but some dudes have heard it and I tell them I have a one of those ebay electric turbos that you put put in the intake. Yea, you need to intercool it.

My Cars
    Turbo 99' M3

Looks great man. Is your intake right off the turbo, down low?

My Cars
    98 328i, 79 911SC
    Quote Originally Posted by jszy25 View Post
    jakermac has no turbo.
    always trying to make it lighter and faster

^^former build: http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...-neglected-M3/
    current build: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...car-build.html
    instant grams: doktor_b

busterhax is offline Y̝͎̘̍́ͣ̉͑̿̆Ō͎̼̺̬̒ͯ̃̇͗̂ U͈̖
    My Cars
    e36
    Quote Originally Posted by jszy25 View Post
    Mine is. Sits in front of the passenger fender liner.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast