Thread: 2009 135i Test Drive Help!!!

My Cars
    04 325xi; '13 135i

2009 135i Test Drive Help!!!

I test drove a manual 2009 135i today. Because the car is out of warranty I was extra cautious and had 3 other people test drive the car as well. The car currently has 69,000 miles (give or take a few). I drove the car first, and everything seemed fine to me but haven't driven manual in 2 years so I wouldn't notice the little things that may be wrong. I felt that the clutch would catch pretty high, but I feel that is somewhat normal for BMW. I then had friend number 1 test drive the car, again no problem. This is when things get confusing.

Friend number 2 comes in for his shot and beats on the car. He felt like the car wanted to constantly shift early, before 4500 rpm. He revved the car higher than 4500 rpm and shifts hard into third and the car seems to start misfiring badly (shaking, stuttering, etc.). We take the car back to the dealer before it can't get itself there. We tell the dealer what happened, and were told that the pre-sale inspection found none of what we were describing (I took this with a grain of salt).

They send me out a fourth time with the manager behind the wheel this time. The car takes off perfectly fine without any issue. Goes up and down the highway, no issue. The car had basically no gas with a range of 3 miles at this point so he puts some gas in it. Takes off onto the highway again, and beats on it worse than friend number 2 did. Consistently revving the engine to the upper limits, hard shifts, everything we did on our own. Downshifted from 4th (at 4500 rpm) to 3rd, no issue - If anything the car wanted more.

We believe it is possible that the car was basically on fumes and that the excessive humidity is what caused the stuttering. Keep in mind that the check engine light IS ON, but the dealer committed (in writing) to find out why, fix it, and provide complete service records and documentation.

My question is: Should I just walk away? Is this a sign of catastrophic damage to the engine? Is it just a coil pack, spark plug, or injector? Or does our 'gas fumes' theory make sense? I LOVE this car, and want it to be ok very badly so my judgement may be clouded. Anyone else have some thoughts on this? ANY help is appreciated. Thank you.

My Cars
    DKG 135i + electric
    Those cars need a lot of maintenance to run right. Your used one probably requires some. Stuff can also be expensive if it breaks, which is will. By now a lot of em have also been beaten and modded heavily by their past owners. I'm not saying don't buy a N54 135, far from it, I highly recommend it actually. BUT, you will need to have the proper budget to do it without really hurting.

I would stay away from the car you test drove. You don't want to buy a car that ALREADY has major issues, and a 135 isn't a rare car by any means--there will be more available soon even if you don't see any others you like now. If you're bound and determined to buy the car you looked at, take it to a mechanic specializing in BMWs that isn't affiliated with the dealer and ask them what they think. The money you spend will be WELL WORTH IT, because they WILL find MANY issues with the car...if they don't then you found one hell of a rare specimen--used cars ALWAYS have issues, whether minor, major, or future.

Also, when test driving a car, I always make sure to redline it several times after checking the oil and once it's warmed up. It won't hurt the car if it's working properly and sometimes you need to really beat on cars to get all their issues to show.

My Cars
    04 325xi; '13 135i
    Thanks! the dealer inspected the car and created a work order but refused to provided. Based on feedback I have received, and the dealership's refusal to be transparent, I walked away. Too bad too, the 135i is a dream car of mine and I thought I found a winner for a minute.

My Cars
    DKG 135i + electric
    Keep looking, you will find the right car. They're not that rare, and they are always popping up for sale.

My Cars
    2013 BMW 1 Series
    I fully agree with bimmerlust, the advise was sound and never fall in love with a particular car where you're ready to just jump at any cost. There will always be others like it. I looked for about a year before I finally found my 135i, and test drove a few along with hold lengthy conversations with the Salespersons prior to buying the 2013 that I got. With the initial cost and upkeep of these fine cars; I look at it as an investment.
    Last edited by subwayaz; 07-17-2016 at 11:28 AM.