Thread: Pre-Production 228i msport

My Cars
    Motorcycles

Pre-Production 228i msport

Hi everyone, I was looking for some advice concerning pre-production cars that have been upfitted by BMW for sale. I found a 2014 228i msport w/ 1100 miles on it for sale at a BMW dealer. The price seemed right until I decoded the VIN (WBA1F5C54EVV98835) and saw the SA code: 991 "Pre Series Management".

The story the dealer gave me was that it was a euro model, accidentally shipped to the US that was driven around by a BMW exec for about 1100 miles, this seems like a pretty rosy recollection.

I called another BMW dealer who has no dog in the fight, who got back to me a few hours later, and informed me that it was either a tester, loaner, or a car used at customer/press events.

I cannot really find any information about buying a pre-production, upfitted car, although the dealer claims he probably buys 10 a week....not sure I quite believe this.

What are your thoughts, should I avoid it like the plague, or see if I can get it for a good price? They quoted me 27,777 before I attempted any negotiation, how much would you say a car like this has lost in value over a non pre-prod car?
    http://www.bmwsf.com/pre-owned/bmw/2...d-228i-3465352

Thanks
    Last edited by 1000ccs; 07-13-2016 at 01:10 PM. Reason: added link

My Cars
    z3
    Pre-production cars are usually those that are taken to car shows, given to magazines for test drives, used at the dealer as testers or other press car uses. At 1100 miles its hard to say if it was used by an exec or trashed by automotive journalists. I'd go over it with a fine tooth comb and just fight for the best price. The dealer definitely does not get 10 pre-production cars per week. And FWIW I don't think theres any way to tell for sure what it was used for. You can know if it is or isn't a "euro model" by looking at the VIN through a decoder. It would usually say market USA or EUR.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2013 BMW 1 Series
    Your link shows it's Sold? Did you end up purchasing this BMW? Sure looks nice

My Cars
    2011 Z4
    I have a simular question. I'm thinking about buying a 2015 320x drive with a manual transmission. The Xdrive with a manual transmission is very rare.The dealer says it was put in service early 2014 and that as a pre-production car it is not eligible for the CPO warranty. So it will have very little warranty. Seems like red flags are going off. What do you think?