Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: My ///M5 On a Little Road Trip Across America

My Cars
    '01 DINAN7 '03 M5
    No problem, maybe on the way back home you will be by on the weekend, that way I can drive to meet you up,
    I'm planning to be in Dallas this upcoming weekend anyway
    Instagram.com/nordmanmg

Your current situation is not your final destination

My Cars
    toooo many
    Quote Originally Posted by tschultz View Post
    Not sure how long your trip is, but if you are coming through CO on August 10th or so, you should definitely join us at Drive 4 Corners and on the caravan from Denver to our event:

http://drive4corners.com/
    I'm most likely going to be there, you should consider it if you can fit it in on the way back. Looks like an epic trip tho, have fun

My Cars
    '01 DINAN7 '03 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by .Tom. View Post
    I'm most likely going to be there, you should consider it if you can fit it in on the way back. Looks like an epic trip tho, have fun
    Sweet man
    Instagram.com/nordmanmg

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    You are moving much faster than I expected. Give me a proper heads up as to when you will be in Richmond so I can take a day off if need be.

AquilaBMW is offline Mad Bimmerist BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    BMWs / Chevy
    Will do Brandon. I'll let you know fr NYC, that should be a two day notice at the least.

I expect to be in Chicago by tomorrow - maybe mid morning or afternoon. Anyone interested in meeting up? If not, I'll cruise through and then head on over to Detroit

My Cars
    '01 DINAN7 '03 M5
    Damn you are flying Michael)))))
    Instagram.com/nordmanmg

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    Hope you are gathering data to find average/top speed and MPG's etc.

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    What is your average stickers/hp?
    What is your average pulled-over-by-cop/state?
    What is your average sleep/mile?
    What is your average steptronic-mode/sport mode?
    What is your average lug bolt/lug nut?
    What is your average coffee sips/crunchy crisps?
    What is your average WOT/SOT? small-open-throttle
    What is your average street racing/burnouts?

My Cars
    BMWs / Chevy
    Average speed has been 80 MPH based on published top speeds, road work and somewhat conservatives driving. Long driving hours too. Yesterday was no fun - more to come about that.

Right now, I'm 3 hours outside Chicago. Haven't been stopped by cops. I do keep getting asked if it is a race car.

Most of America responds with thumbs up along the road.

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    How the heck are you already in IL?!

My Cars
    BMWs / Chevy
    Red bull gave me wings 😜

- - - Updated - - -

Looks like I'll be in Richmond, VA on Sunday in case anyone would like to meet 😎

My Cars
    skateboard
    So much awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    He will be coming by the house of HP before we head over to a local meet. Clay (M5hunter) should be joining us as well. Planning on putting his car on the scales to see how the distribution is.

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Quote Originally Posted by RVAE34 View Post
    How the heck are you already in IL?!
    He's got a button next to the Sport one that says Warp. He's a time traveler. Warps through different time and space.

My Cars
    BMWs / Chevy
    Hey Guys! I am beat an exhausted yet thrilled and happy. I have stories to share and moment to talk about. I wish I had the chance to meet people as I travelled and I am so bummed I missed Purp in Chicago. For some reason, our texts are not getting through - at least his to mine. However, I am now in Wixon area of Michigan.... 20 minuteds outside of Detroit. AND.... mere miles away from 8 Mile. It is SO SO very surreal for me at the moment, I can't believe that I am all the way out here.

There are stories to share and many pictures. Let me catch my breath and I will be back with all details.

My Cars
    '01 DINAN7 '03 M5
    Damn you're fast
    Instagram.com/nordmanmg

My Cars
    BMWs / Chevy
    Meh..... Not really that fast. I am just not stopping as much as I could. I am saving some for next year's trip It has been a very full and interesting couple of days.

- - - Updated - - -

Last time I checked in here, I was heading into SLC. I made it past the Boneeville Salt Flats and got into SLC safe and in one piece. So far, car has been performing well. Next year if / when I do this - I won't do it at the height of summer. Holy Cow! It get's hot out there. You think California is hot?!?!? No way. Average temperatures during the day has hovered around 97 to 102 degrees. The car's oil temp never got up to 210 and the coolant temp never exceeded 90 degrees. Other than the heat, the car has been fine.

I finally added 1/2 quart of oil after 1406 miles on the road. I think some of that is due to the heat. On the tires, I will be replacing the tires with 285/35 or something similar - the 275/40 is too tall, especially over bumps as it rubs on the passenger side. I know the alignment is a little wonky on that side, but I hope there isn't anything more wrong there. Still have a few thousan miles to go.

So.............. back to the trip. So.... as some already know, I departed SLC on Wednesday morning. I was hoping to make it to the Yellowstone National Park before nightfall. I considered going to Denver first and then up to Yellowstone, but Denver alone was 8 hours away and then another 5 hours up to Yellowstone. In hindsight I should have done that.

Anyway... so I first spent a little time in SLC. Then after that, I went up to the Great Salt Lake. It was so friggin hot out there. Also, I am not a fan of little bugs with a bite and there were a ton of them out there. So..... I left and started heading north towards Yellowstone.

Along the way, I decided that I would go up highway 20 instead so that I would enter the park from the Southern end and get to see more of it before camping for the night. It was a nice and relatively easy drive - apart from getting lost a couple of times because I did not realize my stupid Google maps kept updating itself with the quickest route - I just wanted the bloody more scenic route.

I did go by Hill AFB though and was able to stop and check out the air museum. When I went there, I cheekily parked the car almost beneath one of the older Air Tankers on display.... LOL!

Anyway.... I finally made it to the park. Driving up to the main entrance was amazing. It is just an amazing sight to behold. I cannot capture it with a million words if I had that available. You really just have to see it yourself. I was in awe of my surroundings. Then part way, I got to see a whole herd of Buffalo..... out there in the open. Being in the park, you almost feel like you are violating nature by driving a car up there. You almost want to abondon your car and just go find a horse and ride off into the sunset.

I felt the same way along many road leading up here - it is really beautifil country out there. I remember being blown away coming down the mountains on the way into SLC.

Anyway... worked my way up to the main entrance to the Yellowstone Park and it was $50 to get in - a little bit for just one night, but worse was that all the camps were apparently full. So... I decided to try my luck elsewhere. I finally found a spot that had some spots available for tents. Can you believe some places do not allow tents - boring!

I drove the car about 1/2 a mile on gravel road - NIGHTMARE! I was crawling at under 5 MPH and could not find anything so I did a U-Turn. For some absolutely crazy reason, I rolled down my windows. Oh wait - that was so I could see better while backing up. I did not want to fall off the ledge. I must have been bitten 20 times by various insects. I was covered in bites in the two minutes it took for me to come down.

By the time I got back down the hill and found a suitable spot - I was so put off by all the bugs around, I put the tent back in the trunk and just chilled in the car for a bit. I still have bumps on my arms today from all the bites. Didn't get a chance to use my bug repellent before I got bitten to all hell. So, I spent a few more hours in the national park and then for some absolutely crazy reason, I decided I would try to make it to South Dekota that night or as close I could to Rushmore which would be Rapid City as that was between Mount Rushmore and Sturgis. WHAT A BAD FREAKING IDEA! UGH!

So, by the time I made it down and out of YellowStone Park and past the fire and all.... it was dark. I was on HWY 26 which ran through a reservation and was literall pitch Black. I got lost at one point and being the idiot I can be at times, I forgot to take paper maps so once I lost Cell Signal - I was flying blind. With my little bit of navigational knowledge I was able to at least keep going in one general direction. Thankfully, my sister decided to call me to check in and she was able to help navigate for me from her computer - WHEW! It still meant I had to go back and forth across Wyoming all bloody night. At one point I was up at 9700 feet in 47 degrees. I was rewarded with an awesome sight and road at dawn though. I pulled over at one point and all I could hear was a river and birds and I got to breath cool, crisp fresh air. I SO want to go back there.

After I made it out of Yellowstone Park and most of Wyoming, I headed East for Rapid City on the 80 FWY. Again... it was hot, and this time blinding as the Sun rises in the East and guess what direction I was heading.

I finally made it into South Dakota and as I was heading to Rapid City, I saw the sign for Devil Tower - I had totally forgotten about this. I had to double back as I was going at 80 MPH and went right past it first time around. Anyway.... as some already know, I made it all the way up to Devil's Tower. It was so cool to be up there, surreal in a way, much like most of this trip so far. This is where I get to age myself.... so, I kept humming the Alien greeting from Close Encounters all the way to the top / base of the Tower. LOL!

I will update some more later... need some sleep for now.

My Cars
    '01 DINAN7 '03 M5
    Nice picture all around, keep it up)))
    Instagram.com/nordmanmg

My Cars
    2003 530iA (SOLD)
    Nice update! Looking forward to seeing more. Sucks about getting bit up by bugs, that's the worst.
    2003 DINAN 5 | M54B30 | Titanium Gray Metallic | Stage 3 Engine Software | High Flow Throttle Body | Cold Air Intake | Free Flow Exhaust | Performance Automatic Transmission Software | Front Strut Brace | OE 18x9 BBS RS745 Style 42 on 265/35-18 MY BUILD THREAD: [Click]

My Cars
    BMWs / Chevy
    Thanks fellas - As far as the bites, I am still have a few bumps left on my arms. Ugh! Was so tired last night, I finally crashed. I will try to make it into Detroit this morning. What am I talking about? I HAVE to make it into Motor City this morning. After that, I am supposed to visit the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn. Then...... it's off again!

To finish off my update. As I was getting ready to lead Devil's Tower, the car kinda felt funny to me. I am not sure what it is 0 maybe some sixth sense we have all developed over the years. It just didn't feel like it was running right. Then I noticed a slight hiccup in the idle. I thought it might just be a result of heat soak, but then again I had relocated the IAT sensor so, it should not be doing this - right?

Anyway... I left Devil's Tower and headed to Mount Rushmore. As you can see from the pictures, I stopped in Sturgis. That was a must on this trip. Even though there was nothing much going on it was Biker Mecca. Not really for the crotch rocket riders amongst us, more for Harley, classic, custom bikers and I have been both. That was fun, it was nice to just know I had been there. To be honest, I used to think it was in FL - go figure! After Sturgis, I head off to Mount Rushmore. There was a fair amount of traffic and temperatures were in the higher 90's. The car's idle was hunting a bit - but since the power was still there, I ignored. At one point, I finally pressed the SPORT button and let her rip. I figured the might be upset at me for my somewhat sedate driving the last 1500 miles or so.

I arrived at Mount Rushmore and was a bit underwhelmed. I need to explain myself here. I had always viewed Mount Rushmore with a fair degree of reverence. It was this mystical place where the faces of the founding fathers were in a mountain. It represented a period in the world's history across a few eras. Some argue that as a Black person, it need not necessarily be a celebrated place as during the period this came to being, I could not have "Freely" travelled across this great land. Then I have to throw back the point that Lincoln's face is up there and he did fight to abolish slavery.

Anyway..... not trying to get political here. I am just saying that to me, it is a VERY important place. Yet, when I got there it seemed like the Barnum and Bailey circus had come to town. It was so commercialized to the point that I was shocked! I really was. Maybe it was just me and I don't quite get it due to growing up abroad and all that, but I just feel it was not "respected" enough? Sorry... just had to say it as it moved me quite a bit.

After Rushmore, I went to see the Crazy Horse monument as well. Again, not that overwhelmed by it. It was still impressive to see. It would be nice if one could park up a little closer to it. Again..... so much commercialization going on here. Now, correct me if I am wrong, did this thing not get Federal Funding now? No?

I decided to let the car sit for at least an hour before leaving the Crazy Horse monument, figured I should let it completely cool down. It was here I also topped up the oil with about 1/2 a quart. That was all it needed. I bid Crazy Horse farewell by announcing, ""Crazy Horse, Meet Mad Michael". I think he was not too thrilled about that. Or something. Maybe he was reading my thoughts of being underwhelmed or maybe the Devil had followed me home from his tower.

First, I decided to change the NAV disk to the Eastern US DVD. As soon as I put that in, I got the wrong DVD error on my screen and of course that went dead. And then as soon as I started the car, it bucked at idle and that Yellow Glowing sign we all hate with an unbridled amount of passion appeared, "SERVICE ENGINE SOON"!!!!!! AAARRRRGGGHHHH !!!!!

Two for bloody one trouble! Here I was, 1460 plus miles away from home and she decides to dump on me like that. I left the monuments to at least get down the hill where I would have cell signal in the town of Rushmore itself. At the base of the mountains, I pulled over and plugged my INPA laptop into the car. I was getting multiple mis-fire codes. Things like 209, 215 were popping up and INPA was saying Mis-Fire Exhaust on just about all the cylinders.

I made calls out to my Pit Crew - other members of the board and friends at BMW and at home. My friend Joe spent time with me analysing the problem. The car was idling really bad. It drove alright though. He thought it might either be a bad fuel pump - which is known to happen on these cars - or possibly that and/or bad fuel filter. His assesment is that it was likely a fuel related issue as opposed to a spark or air issues on a specific cylinder as it was affecting all of them.

At the gas station where I was trying to diagnose this and also to get the DVD out so I least I could get the screen back on and have OBD functions, an older couple - at least older than me - pulled up to the car and said they appreciated the ALL LIVES MATTER on the side of the car. The lady said she appreciated someone would say that we all mattered, not just some of us. We had a brief and nice chat about things going on in the world and they left wishing me well. I hoped that meant my luck change.

Well, I went back to the trunk / boot and the DVD had popped out! VOILA! Finally, the screen was back in action! So, I was feeling optimistic now. I went back to the car and started her up with the computer plugged in. It was like some Rally - Paris / Dakar stuff guys! One cop passed me and smiled when he saw the computer screen with readings in the box on the passenger seat. He must have thought I was some kinda pro or something.

I got back on HWY 1-80 and then the computer died. In my panic, I forgot to plug the power cord in. I plugged it in and then re-started it, but now the computer would not read the DME. Oh Crap I thought! I had bricked the car! I pulled over and tried it several times - no luck. I talked with my Bud Joe and was ready to pack it in and turn around. I did not want to risk going on with a potential dying car and one that I could not diagnose any more. So, I turned around and started heading West on HWY 80.

As I headed back, I was full of sad thoughts and dissappointment. I had spent a ton on this trip already. I had so many people supporting me and encouraging me. Then there were all the sponsors and partners that had supported this endeavour and here I was about to disappoint everyone. At least that's how I felt. My friends and family told me not to feel that was as it was an issue with the car not me or my desire to carry on. Still...... I just didn't feel right.

I decided to try the computer one more time. I decided that if it worked now, it was surely a sign to carry on or maybe the Devil tempting me to carry on..... on to disaster? Either way, I decided I was going to carry on heading East. If the car died on me, then it dies - but I was not quitting this trip. Not now, not after getting this far with preparation, travel, costs and just all the combined effort into this trip.

Lo and behold - darn thing started scanning again! So..... off I headed into the East again. Travelling along HWY I-80 again, heading to Sioux Falls. I was trying to get to Sioux falls by night fall as that would at least put me within 8 hours of Chicago and in a somewhat big town where I might be able to fix the car. The car was still running and I had cleared the codes which had not returned in the last 100 miles.

As I headed towards Sioux Falls, I decided I would push on as far as I could go so I was sure to make Chicago by the next day. I figured with two to three more hours of driving, I would be able to cut the travel time to Chicago to 5 hours after a rest stop / break. I also wanted to burn off as much gas as I could in case I needed to replace the fuel pump. After 300 odd miles, I decided to just keep pushing, but I needed to get gas. So, I pulled over. I could only get 87 Octane !!!! WTH !!!! I now started to think South Dakota did not want me to leave. First the issues when I left Wyoming, now this. Then I got back on the freeway and some nice 18 wheeler decided to throw a rock at the windshield. Thank goodness it did not shatter, but now I have a chip in the shield that will need to be fixed.

I figured at some point, I was either going to drive into the back of something or the car would blow up and I would stranded in SD. I decided Hell or High Water, I was getting me out of SD. I arrived in Sioux Falls and carried on..... next thing you know, I was in Minnesota ! WHOO! I made it out! By now, it was night time - so I just kepot driving as there was nothing to see, especially at night. On I went into the night.... through MN, I finally came to a stop close to the border and within 4 hours of reaching Chicago. My body was beat and I needed rest. The car was driving okay, so I now wondered if it was just bad gas causing my problems. I was scared to shut it off out in nowhere, but I had no choice.

I got about 5 hours sleep and then woke up and cranked her up. She started fine.... and the rest is history. I made it through MN, then IN and right on into IL, where I paid my first toll charge since leaving California. Unfortunately, I could not connect with anyone in IL or Chicago area so I kept driving till I made it to MI and went to meet with the folks at NGK. So..... I am now in MI and will be heading out shortly to check out Detroit and then the Ford Museum. Hopefully, tonight I will make it to MD. And then tomorrow..... THE BIG MEET WITH RVA34. That will be epic!

My Cars
    2003 530iA (SOLD)
    Wow, that's a bit more excitement than you had hoped for I'm sure. Glad the car is still pointed east and running well

I too was underwhelmed by Mt Rushmore after rising my motorcycle to Sturgis from San Diego. I moved on pretty quickly and it didn't live up to what I had built up in my mind.

The Henry Ford museum AKA Greenfield Village is absolutely amazing. You better plan on at least 3-4 hours there.

The buildings are amazing. So much history. My favorite was the Wright brothers workshop that was relocated from Dayton OH. Henry Ford actually had Charles Taylor, the mechanic that built the engines for the Wright brothers, come to Greenfield Village before he died in 1957 and set up the shop exactly as it was in 1903 before their first flight at Kitty Hawk.

Keep the updates coming man and good luck!!!
    2003 DINAN 5 | M54B30 | Titanium Gray Metallic | Stage 3 Engine Software | High Flow Throttle Body | Cold Air Intake | Free Flow Exhaust | Performance Automatic Transmission Software | Front Strut Brace | OE 18x9 BBS RS745 Style 42 on 265/35-18 MY BUILD THREAD: [Click]

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    Great read...

I updated the homepage and I'll try to keep up with you. Man you are moving fast.
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    It's not much cooler here unfortunately. The bumped the local meet to 4 since it's supposed to be 100 tomorrow. I've got the lift in case you need to check anything out underneath the car. I caution against 285's if you haven't rolled the fenders yet.

My Cars
    BMWs / Chevy
    Quote Originally Posted by Aryana View Post
    Wow, that's a bit more excitement than you had hoped for I'm sure. Glad the car is still pointed east and running well

I too was underwhelmed by Mt Rushmore after rising my motorcycle to Sturgis from San Diego. I moved on pretty quickly and it didn't live up to what I had built up in my mind.

The Henry Ford museum AKA Greenfield Village is absolutely amazing. You better plan on at least 3-4 hours there.

The buildings are amazing. So much history. My favorite was the Wright brothers workshop that was relocated from Dayton OH. Henry Ford actually had Charles Taylor, the mechanic that built the engines for the Wright brothers, come to Greenfield Village before he died in 1957 and set up the shop exactly as it was in 1903 before their first flight at Kitty Hawk.

Keep the updates coming man and good luck!!!
    Thanks buddy! I will keep updating as much as I can. I am SO looking forward to seeing the museum. They are taking me on something called an Insider Tour this afternoon. I am excited about this. I actually shaved to look presentable! LOL! Four day stubble gone bye bye! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Kevlar View Post
    Great read...

I updated the homepage and I'll try to keep up with you. Man you are moving fast.
    Hi Kev - It's been a blast! I am surprised everyone thinks I am moving fast. I may need to slow down a bit - I thought I was way behind. Good to know I am making good time. Time to smell some more roses.

Quote Originally Posted by RVAE34 View Post
    It's not much cooler here unfortunately. The bumped the local meet to 4 since it's supposed to be 100 tomorrow. I've got the lift in case you need to check anything out underneath the car. I caution against 285's if you haven't rolled the fenders yet.
    Hey Brandon! Sounds good to me. Gives us time to get together and maybe drive around a bit. Maybe some others will like to join us. The lift would be awesome! Thanks for the offer, I will take you up on that, even just to take a pic of the car on the lif! LOL! Wish I could do an oil change. Doubt I will be able to get Liqui-Moly in time for that.

Any-Hoo..... let's see how it goes. Many miles to go.

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    Well you are welcome to do the change here if so. Not sure which local places might carry that. I think Bag Geon might but also think they are closed on Sunday's. I was thinking it would be perfect if you wanted to arrive in Richmond around 2 or so. Meet will be 4-8.
    Last edited by RVAE34; 07-23-2016 at 01:39 PM.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast