My Cars
    '01 DINAN7 '03 M5
    Lol, Michael just can't live without wrenching
    Instagram.com/nordmanmg

Your current situation is not your final destination

AquilaBMW is offline Mad Bimmerist BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    BMWs / Chevy
    I would love to meet the NC crew. I will stay in Raliegh tonight and will be available to meet tomorrow. Thursday is family day and also I'll be in Spartansburg. Friday I am expected in ATL.

I will post more later. Major and many thanks to Brandon. Great, great pleasure to meet you man. You Rock!

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    OOH! So you're finally in Raleigh! Where are you currently staying at?

Damn, such short notice and such a short visit.

So you're free tomorrow all day, right?

My Cars
    BMWs / Chevy
    I am camped in a shady motel on Capitol Avenue in Raleigh. You guys better check on me in the morning.... jus sayin.

My Cars
    1999 328is
    Quote Originally Posted by AquilaBMW View Post
    I am camped in a shady motel on Capitol Avenue in Raleigh. You guys better check on me in the morning.... jus sayin.
    Best of luck to you tonight... Capitol Blvd isn't our best angle here in Raleigh.

I don't know if it's too late to suggest, but if you're in to classic cafe racers there's a great coffee shop on Glenwood Ave downtown that's worth swinging by. Devolve Moto. I work nearby and would very much like to meet up and hear about the drive. Your pictures so far put you on almost the same route I took in 2013 driving from Raleigh to SF.

My Cars
    '01 740i Sp, '07 335i
    You are really picking some BAD places to lay your little head down to sleep - bugs, full campgrounds now shady motel - maybe you should watch out for Anthony Perkins tonight.
    http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm71/krallopian/darthSigTest2_zpsn6zkw5id.jpg[/URL][URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/DFW7-Dallas-Fort-Worth-BMW-7-Series-Club/300942239566"]DFW7 on Facebook/URL]
    "The Last Great e38" 2001 i Sport - Born'd on date 1/01 Cosmos/Grey - 32.8K miles - 2 1/2 " Custom Exhaust, Center “X”over , Modified OEM rear bumper, M5 style trunk spoiler, M6 OEM wheels, M3 Steering wheel with working paddle shift & CF trim, Bi-Xenon upgrade, 13mm Rear sway bar added, SS brake lines and bronze bushings, Cross drilled rotors and painted calipers, Akebono pads, Zionsville aluminum radiator & exp. tank with electric fan, Sprint Booster, BluTooth conversion, MKIV Nav., Custom wood cupholder, DUDMD Tune, Orien V2.5 LED Angel Eyes, Evans waterless. Recently added grey faced //M5 Cluster - all gauges functioning. Changed the grey carpet to black and topped off with GG Bailey front/rear mats[/SIZE]

My Cars
    BMWs / Chevy
    Quote Originally Posted by gearhead919 View Post
    Best of luck to you tonight... Capitol Blvd isn't our best angle here in Raleigh.

I don't know if it's too late to suggest, but if you're in to classic cafe racers there's a great coffee shop on Glenwood Ave downtown that's worth swinging by. Devolve Moto. I work nearby and would very much like to meet up and hear about the drive. Your pictures so far put you on almost the same route I took in 2013 driving from Raleigh to SF.
    Providing I survive the night in this place, I am meeting with a few guys tomorrow for lunch I believe at PDQ? I have to be on the road no later than 5 PM, but time allowing and if you meet up, I'd love to check this place out. I actually used to know Mike Seate back in the day who launched Cafe Racer magazine.... don't know if you mean Cafe Racer bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by TxDarth View Post
    You are really picking some BAD places to lay your little head down to sleep - bugs, full campgrounds now shady motel - maybe you should watch out for Anthony Perkins tonight.
    I don't know what's going on man! This area was suggested to me. Next time, I need to check well ahead with local residents. I'd be better sleeping in the car at a truck stop!

My Cars
    2011 BMW M3 (E92)
    I will have to check out the M5 in person when you come back, I am 20 mins from SF.

Overall a fantastic idea, best of luck, and look forward to your updates.

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Hmm .... not sure where are you staying right now on Capital Blvd but usually this place is not really a shady place at all. Anyways, there's a go kart on that road that you could go to if you like.

My Cars
    BMWs / Chevy
    I'm Alive !!!!! And so is the car.... at least it looks in one piece from my hotel room! Whew!

So..... let's get an update here shall we. Yesterday, I got to meet the myth, the legend - RVAE34 (Brandon). I have always said this board is full of some of the most awesome people in the world and he is up there - truly one of the good guys. Let's not mince words here, Brandon and I have had a fall out in the past. I was really humbled when he mentioned it and we were able to shake hands and go have a beer together. As car nuts, we soon got well beyond that and were having a laugh and good talk about cars, his, mine and cars in general.

After the beers, I had the esteemed pleasure of meeting his Dad. Like Father, like son. You always hear about Southern hospitality and both these guys represented the South to no end. I am going to propose we give Brandon's Dad an honorary BFC membership. Not only is he uBer cool, very hospitable and all, but he is also like ultimate car guy.

I have been to the treasure trove of Z cars and I tell you guys.... it is heavenly. Those Z cars that you have seen in pictures just can't compare to seeing them in person. I tell you, these cars are amazing. AND they are ALL in amazing condition. The incredible thing is that they get driven. They are NOT garage Queens at all. There is an Orange one that has under 30K original miles. You just want to stay there forever. One thing I have learned on this trip is that 1 - I will do it again, and 2 - I will need to spend more time out there visiting folks like Brandon and his Dad.

The Orange one and all the other are as straight as arrows. I bent down behind the Orange one and Brandon's Dad was like, '"there are no ripples there Michael". I'm all like, "Yeah, I know. I just had to convince my eyes what I was seeing". I had a wonderful visit. I also got to see the NSX - GORGEOUS! I have driven one before that was in okay condition. This was in pristine condition.

The Green Z on the lift is a monster. Custom exhaust, rear sway bar kit, Wilwood BBKs. This thing is just asking for a drive. It's the kind of cars a boy's dreams are made of.

After that, we went to Brandon's house and I got to not only see and be in that fabled garage (HAH NC Guys, AquilaBMW has walked where you walked!), I got to ride in the GMW and the BENZ and ..... I got to wrench in the garage too. I have to take a moment to commend Brandon on the house itself. What a great job, what a great house. I really, really like it. The attention to detail is admirable. It really is. I love minimalist type designs and he accomplished this very well.... of course credit goes to his Wife as well. Brandon, you are one lucky man to have a woman who shares your passion. More power to you guys - you deserve all you have and more man, you really do. I also got to hang out with Grayson, what a cool kid He got to join our community with his own MEYLE Cap If anyone remembers when Brandon started work on this house and talked about the fish tank, to see it in person is something pretty darn impressive. While I am not a fish tank, fish kind of guy, I was amazed at the work that went into this thing.

Now.... to the most important part of this update. THE CARS! I want to hear that GMW start every morning as my alarm bell!!! That sound is simply amazing! If you don't like loud cars, this is not the car for you.... and you are probably not a real car guy anyway. I mean.... this thing makes your heart rumble. Brandon describes the ride as stiff. IMHO, the car rides "firm", for a firmly sprung car with coilovers, I have to say the ride is actually compliant to a great degree. The car does not hop around whether under acceleration or through fast bumpy turns. Believe me when I say the ride is much, much better than some cars I have ridden in. Let me put it this way, the car....opps..... I mean uBer wagon rides better than cars with Lowered Springs and Biltstein shocks. Sorry for anyone with Billies on their car, but they suck in my opinion. Especially on everyday roads. I am not big on wheels without lip on these cars, but the combination of the Brembos with the wheels works great on this car. Say what you will about Brembos - they work and they work great! Brandon hammered the car pretty good and I know if I did the same with my M5 and the stock brakes - I would have probably had to stay the night to let them cool off..... Hmmm..... there's an idea.

The Wagon is truly a definition of a beast! Not only the sound, the sheer power on this thing is nuts! I can see why the Mrs would to keep this wagon in the family. If it sells, I can tell you that whoever gets it will get a very, very unique, keep a smile on your face, wood in your pants, kid grin inducing smile on your face ride.

Then we checked out the BENZ. I am not a Mercedes guy.... doubt I will ever be one.... however this AMG is quite a car. Amazing how much MBZ were able to do with a V8, maybe our beloved BMW should take a cue from them. The interior on this car is very plush, and I am impressed with this generation of seats. I am sorry, but the generation of AMG before this one sucked! If I had more time, I may have tried to relieve Brandon of the brakes on that car. The stock brakes make our BBKs looks like little frisbees - I kid you not.

When I picked Brandon up from work (Sorry Jim, he got to be the first to ride in the M5), he immediately noticed the rub I was getting from my 275/40 tires in the rears. He was genuinely concerned about potential tire and fender wall damage to the car. His first order of the day once we got to his house was to help me get my rear fenders rolled. We got that done right away. I waited till my next stop to confirm this, I am happy to report - NO MORE RUBBING! Thanks dude, I truly appreciate it man.

Here are some combined pics of my day.... try not to slobber over the Z's guys.

The Day started in DC, The outgoing Potus was apparently too busy to have lunch with me. Can you believe that???

Then it was off to Disneyland.... yeah... there is one in Richmond, VA

Straight as an Arrow. In fact I think hand made arrows have bends in them compared to this car.

This should be on every boy's wall. By the way, that car on the left took Brandon and his Dad ten years to acquire and restore. Great Story. The one on the Right is a CA car - all origina except for restore body work and has less than 40K miles on it - DREAM MACHINE!

The oil Collection.....

The Engine Bay. That paint in there is all original.

And more goodness...

The Wildwoods on the Green Monster. I hereby dub it the Hulk!

You know it's pure confidence in a perfectly sealed motor when you park the White car underneath

Drum Roll!!!!!

By the way, look to the left and you see ALL the origiakl engines from the Z's

After Disney Land, we went to the other play land where GMW, AMG and M5 got to meet and share the same roof - how epic is that ????

The Ferrari F-40 model coming together....

Wrench Time...

Last edited by AquilaBMW; 07-27-2016 at 09:09 AM.

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    Great writeup and photos, Michael!! Thank you very much for the kind words. It was a pleasure to spend time with you and I am thrilled we took care of your fender/tire issues! I appreciate your description of the wagon. It's hard for me to give an accurate representation because I am biased and have gone through so very many variants of the suspension. I am so particular about the way a car rides!

Looking forward to reading more stories and seeing more great photos. Stay safe and have a wonderful trip. You are welcome back to my place any time!

My Cars
    2003 530iA (SOLD)
    Great pics and write up!!! Looks like a fun day.
    2003 DINAN 5 | M54B30 | Titanium Gray Metallic | Stage 3 Engine Software | High Flow Throttle Body | Cold Air Intake | Free Flow Exhaust | Performance Automatic Transmission Software | Front Strut Brace | OE 18x9 BBS RS745 Style 42 on 265/35-18 MY BUILD THREAD: [Click]

My Cars
    '01 740i Sp, '07 335i
    Michael, just read the update on your blog - I think you may have missed your calling.... I have been to New York City many times, both as a visitor and while living in CT for a dozen years or so - never did I view or think of New York as you did in a much shorter time frame.

Good job! Continue on - Oh connoisseur of the good times... You must always get to see the good parts of those you meet or you overlook the bad..
    http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm71/krallopian/darthSigTest2_zpsn6zkw5id.jpg[/URL][URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/DFW7-Dallas-Fort-Worth-BMW-7-Series-Club/300942239566"]DFW7 on Facebook/URL]
    "The Last Great e38" 2001 i Sport - Born'd on date 1/01 Cosmos/Grey - 32.8K miles - 2 1/2 " Custom Exhaust, Center “X”over , Modified OEM rear bumper, M5 style trunk spoiler, M6 OEM wheels, M3 Steering wheel with working paddle shift & CF trim, Bi-Xenon upgrade, 13mm Rear sway bar added, SS brake lines and bronze bushings, Cross drilled rotors and painted calipers, Akebono pads, Zionsville aluminum radiator & exp. tank with electric fan, Sprint Booster, BluTooth conversion, MKIV Nav., Custom wood cupholder, DUDMD Tune, Orien V2.5 LED Angel Eyes, Evans waterless. Recently added grey faced //M5 Cluster - all gauges functioning. Changed the grey carpet to black and topped off with GG Bailey front/rear mats[/SIZE]

My Cars
    N/A
    Would just like to point out that Devil's Tower and Bear Butte in Sturgis are considered sacred ground for Native Americans, but bikers have decided that they now take precedence over thousand year old Indian traditions and culture.

Otherwise, good luck on your trip. It looks like a lot of fun, wish I could do something similar!

My Cars
    BMWs / Chevy
    Quote Originally Posted by RVAE34 View Post
    Great writeup and photos, Michael!! Thank you very much for the kind words. It was a pleasure to spend time with you and I am thrilled we took care of your fender/tire issues! I appreciate your description of the wagon. It's hard for me to give an accurate representation because I am biased and have gone through so very many variants of the suspension. I am so particular about the way a car rides!

Looking forward to reading more stories and seeing more great photos. Stay safe and have a wonderful trip. You are welcome back to my place any time!
    Thanks Brandon! I have only had one occassion of tire rub since I left Richmond and it was expected as it was a huge dip, it was not a major rub either so we so did good on those fenders. Like I said while I was there, to me, the wagon rides firm, but very importantly it does not hop or skip around in the back which would indicate it was too stiff - I think you might still be able to play a little more with damping settings on the sturts or just leave it be. The wagon is a beast! Thanks again man.... I will update as much as I can as I continue the trip. Thanks for making time in your day to hang out. My regards to the family and especially to Grayson

Quote Originally Posted by Aryana View Post
    Great pics and write up!!! Looks like a fun day.
    Thanks Buddy.... the pics truly only capture half the fun of the trip. It's been a blast!

Quote Originally Posted by TxDarth View Post
    Michael, just read the update on your blog - I think you may have missed your calling.... I have been to New York City many times, both as a visitor and while living in CT for a dozen years or so - never did I view or think of New York as you did in a much shorter time frame.

Good job! Continue on - Oh connoisseur of the good times... You must always get to see the good parts of those you meet or you overlook the bad..
    Thank You So Much! I am thrilled you enjoyed reading the blogs and that one of NYC. It really was how I felt while I was in the city. There is a certain feeling to NYC that is tough to describe. NYC did not pay me to say this to anyone, but if you get a chance absolutely visit the City.

I think it was Mark Twain that once said, the only way to know if you can trust a person is to trust them. So, I have learned to keep an open mind about people and expect the best out of them. If they show me otherwise, then that is on them - when I encounter the bad, I move on. I have found negativity takes too much time and energy. There is enough good out there to make it worth my time to ignore bad... .goes for people all over.

Quote Originally Posted by Deblaca View Post
    Would just like to point out that Devil's Tower and Bear Butte in Sturgis are considered sacred ground for Native Americans, but bikers have decided that they now take precedence over thousand year old Indian traditions and culture.

Otherwise, good luck on your trip. It looks like a lot of fun, wish I could do something similar!
    That is good knowledge to know. As far as Devil's Tower, it is a national monument now so I hope that keeps it safe and preserved. I did not get to Bear Butte as far as I know so I can't comment on that.

Thanks for the well wished, much appreciated.

My Cars
    '01 740i Sp, '07 335i
    Funny you quoting Mark Twain, a many a time that I ate in one of his old houses there in Tarrytown NY over that thirteen years. It is now a restaurant - Tappan Hill and we frequented it quite often. Very good food and even better adult beverages as I recall.

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Where are the piks????

My Cars
    E34 540i6 M Sport
    It was great meeting you Michael!

Safe travels man.

95 540i6 M Sport - 95 525it S52/OBD2 - 433k E36 328i5 - X5D that hit a pothole - IG: @justinmurray95

My Cars
    BMWs / Chevy
    Hey Justin - It was a pleasure hanging out man. Thanks for coming to join us and keeping Brent in check LOL!

Awwkk..... I am so behind on pictures. Promise to catch up shortly.

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    Hey Justin - It was a pleasure hanging out man. Thanks for coming to join us and keeping Brent in check LOL!

Awwkk..... I am so behind on pictures. Promise to catch up shortly.

I updated our homepage too
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    BMWs / Chevy
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevlar View Post
    Thanks Kev - I might need some board protection in a little bit. Methinks some people are going to be uBer envious of my BMW Performance Center visit..... LOL!

My Cars
    2020 X3M Competition
    Thanks Kev - I might need some board protection in a little bit. Methinks some people are going to be uBer envious of my BMW Performance Center visit..... LOL!

I was there when I picked up the M5... what an experience. The drive back to Florida was so depressing though.
    Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by hundreds of engineers that get paid thousands of dollars for something you bought at Pep Boys because your buddy who doesn't have a job told you it was 'better'?!?

My Cars
    BMWs / Chevy
    I was there when I picked up the M5... what an experience. The drive back to Florida was so depressing though.
    It is such an awesome place! I think from now on, everyone should pick up their cars from there.

For our Newly Admitted Ho8 member, here are pictures from when I got to meet Redshift (Brian)

First, the view of the car from my hotel window when Auaq made me stay in crack motel.... at least the A/C worked. LOL!

Auaq's one eyed beast.... at least for the moment while he fixes some lil issues.

Phoenix in front of Brian's garage ....

I love Auaq's plate number! Nice!

The Man Coming Home!

What lies beneath...... Da uBer Wagon. So very clean in person.

The installation of this stereo was impeccable. I have to take my hats off to Brian and Paul on this. Once Brian gets the trim piece that is in the works, you won't be able tell that it did not come from the factory this way. Let's talk about the sound quality - PHENOMENAL! I have worked in the music industry in a past life and been in recording studios. While I am not a massive audiophile, I can appreciate and tune my ears to good sounding music. The way to describe this stereo is like being at a life recording while the sound engineer mixes individual tracks on to an ADAT for final print.... very clear, very precise, simply awesome!

The Vert!

Just some awesomeness.... by the way, we did not cut Auaq out or anything, he had to leave for work

How much power between these three S62's?

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    Great pics from Brian's place! M5t bay looks so good with the blower! Wish I hadn't sold him that engine now though But at least it went to a good home.

Nice, my garage made the homepage!

My Cars
    BMWs / Chevy
    Quote Originally Posted by RVAE34 View Post
    Great pics from Brian's place! M5t bay looks so good with the blower! Wish I hadn't sold him that engine now though But at least it went to a good home.

Nice, my garage made the homepage!
    Good thing is you still have Adam as a friend, so there will be another sweet S62 in your future . The Gods of Dingolfing will it!

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast