Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: MK60 ABS Standalone info

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5
    Does anyone know how to re-code the MK60 when installed in an E36? The typical instructions say to the ncsexpert which relies on getting the FA from the cluster or other E46 module that I don't have.
    Last edited by gpeterson; 09-28-2016 at 03:53 PM.
    S54 swap DME flashing - $100
    S54 swap CAN interface board (for proper A/C & check engine light) - $275
    e36 SAP sim/secondary air pump simulator:
    $75 - standard or $170 - plug & play
    e36 post-cat O2 sims: $115 shipped, plug & play

My Cars
    95 BMW M3 | 03 330i ZHP
    Quote Originally Posted by gpeterson View Post
    I just ordered the z3m S54 booster, has to come from Germany as none are currently available in the US.

Does anyone know of a brake reservoir that will fit well on an OBD2 E36? The E46 M3 reservoir's clutch nipple hits the X6031 connector.
    Can you provide a picture?
    2003 E46 330i ZHP - Daily Driver | Bike Hauler
    1995 E36 M3 - Autocross | Fun

My Cars
    95 M3 & Legacy Manwagon
    Does anyone know how to re-code the MK60 when installed in an E36? The typical instructions say to the ncsexpert which relies on getting the FA from the cluster or other E46 module that I don't have.
    We had success coding it, but I do have the Z3M cluster. Cyberkaa was the guy who did it.
    "Fear disturbs your concentration" -Sabine Schmit

1995 BMW M3/2/5-- S54 + Mk60 DSC, California Smog Legal (Build Thread)
    1998 BMW M3/4/5 Alpine/Modena, Z3 Rack, otherwise stock-- DD without burbles
    2017 Chevy SS, Orange Blast Metallic, 6MT -- DD with burbles

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmerman535i View Post
    We had success coding it, but I do have the Z3M cluster. Cyberkaa was the guy who did it.
    Looks like I figured it out, had to make up a minimal VO for ncsexpert.

My Cars
    1996 M3
    Just out of curiosity what will the whole set up roughly cost (start to finish)?

My Cars
    2005 M3 Coupe
    What kind of recoding are you trying to accomplish?

You don't need anything other than a good OBD2 diagnostic unit (Autel 708, EDIBAS laptop, etc) to talk to the units. They don't do the coding but can run diagnostics and bleeding routines.

My Cars
    1998 M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by dmw16 View Post
    What kind of recoding are you trying to accomplish?

You don't need anything other than a good OBD2 diagnostic unit (Autel 708, EDIBAS laptop, etc) to talk to the units. They don't do the coding but can run diagnostics and bleeding routines.
    I needed to change the vin and figured it out.

My Cars
    1995 BMW E34 525i
    Any of you guys have success running the mk60 in a non bmw?

And those who successfully running them in e30's, what master cylinders are you using?

I am planning to install this on a subaru based race car trying to figure out if I could just tee it into the pressure lines of the master cylinder. Will check back on verification of running stand alone wiring for abs obd access through the subaru.
    Last edited by Erick; 11-01-2016 at 02:06 PM.

1998 BMW e36 M3
    2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5rs Journal

My Cars
    2005 M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Erick View Post
    Any of you guys have success running the mk60 in a non bmw?

And those who successfully running them in e30's, what master cylinders are you using?

I am planning to install this on a subaru based race car trying to figure out if I could just tee it into the pressure lines of the master cylinder. Will check back on verification of running stand alone wiring for abs obd access through the subaru.
    Technically I can't see a reason it wouldn't work on a non-BMW platform. However, the items you'd need to address would be:

Installing BMW wheel speed sensors - both the fit of the sensors and making sure the trigger wheels match properly such that you get accurate wheel speeds
    Configuring the system to match the car you're using - this could be done with a race-mapped Mk60 unit. The race map recodes for weight, caliper piston sizes, wheelbase, wheel track width, and so on. Getting a re-coded unit would still be cheaper than getting a bosch or similar race standalone unit.

Pressure sensors are fairly easy to deal with. You can either get a set of T-fittings with some adapters or Andrew Liddell (he's the guy that does the coding too) sells banjo fittings that have M12 outlets for the pressure sensors to be installed at the ABS controller. Or if you can use an E46 master cylinder there are ports on the MC for the pressure sensors.

Generally speaking, I'd use a whatever master cylinder that's currently on the car (or one sized for whatever modified brakes you have). I wouldn't let the ABS system drive you to a non-ideal MC.

Regarding your last comment, I'm not sure what you mean, but if you mean running wiring such that you can get OBD2 port access to the ABS controller I'd suggest buying a bare OBD2 port and wiring that up just for the ABS. Don't tamper with the factory chassis wiring if you can avoid it, that defeats the purpose of a standalone system.

My Cars
    1995 BMW E34 525i
    Technically I can't see a reason it wouldn't work on a non-BMW platform. However, the items you'd need to address would be:

Installing BMW wheel speed sensors - both the fit of the sensors and making sure the trigger wheels match properly such that you get accurate wheel speeds
    Configuring the system to match the car you're using - this could be done with a race-mapped Mk60 unit. The race map recodes for weight, caliper piston sizes, wheelbase, wheel track width, and so on. Getting a re-coded unit would still be cheaper than getting a bosch or similar race standalone unit.

Pressure sensors are fairly easy to deal with. You can either get a set of T-fittings with some adapters or Andrew Liddell (he's the guy that does the coding too) sells banjo fittings that have M12 outlets for the pressure sensors to be installed at the ABS controller. Or if you can use an E46 master cylinder there are ports on the MC for the pressure sensors.

Generally speaking, I'd use a whatever master cylinder that's currently on the car (or one sized for whatever modified brakes you have). I wouldn't let the ABS system drive you to a non-ideal MC.

Regarding your last comment, I'm not sure what you mean, but if you mean running wiring such that you can get OBD2 port access to the ABS controller I'd suggest buying a bare OBD2 port and wiring that up just for the ABS. Don't tamper with the factory chassis wiring if you can avoid it, that defeats the purpose of a standalone system.
    Thanks for the quick reply,

I believe the e46 trigger wheels have a 42 tooth count.
    My current trigger wheels have 52 from what I know, as long as all my trigger wheels are the same the abs system should work as long as I can get the correct mounting of the BMW wheel sensors.

Unless with a 52 tooth trigger wheel would cause the abs to read the system to be traveling faster than it is. (But in theory should not matter as its only used to compare wheel speeds)

One interesting thing is the subaru oem trigger sensors are also hall effect just like the ones mk60 uses, wonder if it would be compatible

Please correct me if I'm wrong

Oh does Andrew Liddell have a website for his products?
    Last edited by Erick; 11-01-2016 at 03:46 PM.

My Cars
    2005 M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Erick View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply,

I believe the e46 trigger wheels have a 42 tooth count.
    My current trigger wheels have 52 from what I know, as long as all my trigger wheels are the same the abs system should work as long as I can get the correct mounting of the BMW wheel sensors.

Unless with a 52 tooth trigger wheel would cause the abs to read the system to be traveling faster than it is. (But in theory should not matter as its only used to compare wheel speeds)

One interesting thing is the subaru oem trigger sensors are also hall effect just like the ones mk60 uses, wonder if it would be compatible

Please correct me if I'm wrong

Oh does Andrew Liddell have a website for his products?
    The wheels in the E46 are 48 teeth. Yes, in theory a greater tooth count would make the system read faster than speed than it really is going. I can't comment on how much that matters or how sensitive the system is to actual (ground) speed vs relative wheel speeds. The other trick is getting the sensors close enough to the trigger wheels. I'm sure that can be addressed, it may just take some fiddling around.

Andrew doesn't have a website that I know of...he seems to work on referrals (which is how I got in touch with him). I'd be happy to make the invite. The coding isn't cheap, but the pressure sensor adapters were only about $100 shipped from the UK and well worth it.

Shoot me a PM and I'll give you my email and send you some pics of the connectors and Andrew's contact info. Here's his FB page. https://www.facebook.com/bmwm3motorsport/?fref=ts

My Cars
    VW TDI
    As a heads up I think Andrew is pretty swamped with work right now. I've been in contact with him since June but haven't been able to make a purchase for MK60 parts yet.

Despite that I must say Andrew has been very stand up about it, he's stayed in contact with me and won't take my money until he's ready to ship the parts.
    - Brad

My Cars
    1995 BMW E34 525i
    [QUOTE=dmw16;29475308]The wheels in the E46 are 48 teeth. Yes, in theory a greater tooth count would make the system read faster than speed than it really is going. I can't comment on how much that matters or how sensitive the system is to actual (ground) speed vs relative wheel speeds. The other trick is getting the sensors close enough to the trigger wheels. I'm sure that can be addressed, it may just take some fiddling around.

Andrew doesn't have a website that I know of...he seems to work on referrals (which is how I got in touch with him). I'd be happy to make the invite. The coding isn't cheap, but the pressure sensor adapters were only about $100 shipped from the UK and well worth it.

Shoot me a PM and I'll give you my email and send you some pics of the connectors and Andrew's contact info. Here's his FB page. https://www.facebook.com/bmwm3motorsport/?fref=ts[/QUOTE

Awesome! I'll shoot you a pm when Ive done all my research, I recognize the facebook page from the s14.net.

1998 BMW e36 M3
    2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5rs Journal

My Cars
    2005 M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by klodkrawler05 View Post
    As a heads up I think Andrew is pretty swamped with work right now. I've been in contact with him since June but haven't been able to make a purchase for MK60 parts yet.

Despite that I must say Andrew has been very stand up about it, he's stayed in contact with me and won't take my money until he's ready to ship the parts.
    He seems to stay pretty busy. He turned my Mk60 unit around quickly, but I think I just had good timing.

My Cars
    1993 325is
    He seems to stay pretty busy. He turned my Mk60 unit around quickly, but I think I just had good timing.
    What did you have done and what did he charge (PM if you wish)?

My Cars
    e39, e30
    Does anyone know if the rear type sensors can be used in the front? I am considering the mk60 on a non bmw car and I need the front sensors to come from the top like the rears do.

My Cars
    2005 M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by howelll View Post
    Does anyone know if the rear type sensors can be used in the front? I am considering the mk60 on a non bmw car and I need the front sensors to come from the top like the rears do.
    It's the same number of teeth on the trigger wheels F/R so there's no reason it shouldn't work. The signal is the same.

My Cars
    e39, e30
    Are the sensors the same type though? They don't run hall in front and vr in the rear or anything funky like that do they? How many wires do these sensors have?

My Cars
    2005 M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by howelll View Post
    Are the sensors the same type though? They don't run hall in front and vr in the rear or anything funky like that do they? How many wires do these sensors have?
    Nope. They are all hall effect sensors.

My Cars
    1993 325is
    Trever,

Perfect weather to test the Ice Mode on the new ABS setup. Is it ready yet?

My Cars
    95 BMW M3 | 03 330i ZHP
    Quote Originally Posted by jakermac View Post
    Trever,

Perfect weather to test the Ice Mode on the new ABS setup. Is it ready yet?
    All of the hardware is in the car and it's back home, but no wiring yet. We've been working on Viking 43 for the up and coming autocross season - need to order a huge amount of wiring for three different jobs.
    2003 E46 330i ZHP - Daily Driver | Bike Hauler
    1995 E36 M3 - Autocross | Fun

My Cars
    Wreck Miata,Dirty Thirty
    Does anyone know if anyone makes an E36/46 323/5/8 rear wheel bearing that has the hall trigger wheel in them? Installing MK60 into an E46 323 and would like to avoid having to swap the whole trailing arm so I can use the larger 330/M3 wheel bearings which have the trigger wheel on the inner seal.

My Cars
    88 E30 M3 S65
    What do they use to trigger the ABS stock? All you need is a 48 tooth ring...adapting a mk60 ABS sensor isn't that hard.
    It's not speed that kills, it's the speed difference that does. Obviously you aren't going fast enough.

Turning Benjamins into noise since 1997

I read a list of the 100 things you MUST do before you die. Funny, "Yelling 'HELP'" didn't make the list!

My Cars
    Wreck Miata,Dirty Thirty
    The 323 axles have a trigger wheel on them, haven't counted the teeth.

My Cars
    E36 S50B32 swap
    Hi guys, I am planing on doing a MK60 swap on my E36, so I am sourcing parts now. I found a 2002 E46 M3 that has this part number on the pump motor, and it is different than the 3 on the first post. I cant find info in this forum or google if it's any good. The ATE number is 10.0206-0079.4. Thanks !

PS: Am I looking on the right place?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast