Page 11 of 45 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast

Thread: Danny's Japan Rot 540i Touring Thread

My Cars
    03 530i, 99 Silverado
    Oh god the control arms. I had a hell of a day doing control arms on my car. Stripped the counterhold bolts on both rears (upper arms I think?) I'm so glad I don't have to do it again anytime soon. Car looks awesome Danny.
    Last edited by RRH; 08-22-2016 at 01:39 AM.
    1999 528i Touring - Alpine White

My Cars
    1998 528i; 2000 540i;
    Any details on the tool used to pop out the subrame bushings? Is is similar to the expensive one Auaq used on his M5?

Good work, Danny. It sure feels good as each improvement is made, and the car responds, right?
    gmak: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. A journey with my new-to-me 2000 540i

"Working on a BMW E39 is the best way to run out of time."

My Cars
    2006 M3 ZCP/2001 540iT
    Hell yeah. Great updates, bet she's way better to drive now

2001 540it Black/Black --- 2006 M3 Competition Pkg Black/Black
    **FOR SALE - E39 DINAN 540I 4" intake and filter - gently used PM ME for details.

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    The Dynavin fits the e39 interior well... I like it!

My Cars
    2003 540i6
    Is the boot up time on the Dynavin annoying?
    2003 540i/6

My Cars
    2006 M3 ZCP/2001 540iT
    Quote Originally Posted by waters17 View Post
    I'll jump in real quick on this. Had my n6 a few months now.

Boot time is longer than I would like BUT this version starts booting when you unlock the car. I try to wake it up as soon as I can with the remote so that by the time I am in the car and put the key in, it's ready or almost about to finish boot.

**FOR SALE - E39 DINAN 540I 4" intake and filter - gently used PM ME for details.

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Yep. When wagons ride like extreme crap in the rear, 95% chance it's those SF bushings. Either powerflex or Meyle HD clearly the way to go.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    Quote Originally Posted by RRH View Post
    Oh god the control arms. I had a hell of a day doing control arms on my car. Stripped the counterhold bolts on both rears (upper arms I think?) I'm so glad I don't have to do it again anytime soon. Car looks awesome Danny.
    I'm not too worried about doing the rest of the suspension. The car has been in California since day one so it has zero rust. All of the suspension components look really clean so it really shouldn't be hard to replace them. For example, the subframe bushing bolts came out super easily with no breaker bar required.

Quote Originally Posted by gmak View Post
    Any details on the tool used to pop out the subrame bushings? Is is similar to the expensive one Auaq used on his M5?

Good work, Danny. It sure feels good as each improvement is made, and the car responds, right?
    The tool was a touring-specific subframe bushing tool, I think it's different from the one you'd use for the sedan. This is what it looked like (not my picture, just from Google):

DSC01461.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by RSBBlackM3 View Post
    Hell yeah. Great updates, bet she's way better to drive now
    Oh yeah, so much better. Still a little roughness left in the rear but it's a lot more tolerable than it was before. Should be perfect once I replace all of the control arms and maybe the shocks. It's tempting to just put in Bilsteins with how cheap they are, but I'd rather save up for the OEM Sachs struts. I basically want this touring to ride like the day it rolled off the showroom floor.

Quote Originally Posted by purplecty View Post
    The Dynavin fits the e39 interior well... I like it!
    Yep, that's why I chose it over all the other aftermarket nav options. The backlighting on the buttons matches the rest of the car which is super nice.

Quote Originally Posted by waters17 View Post
    Nah, it's really not bad. It starts to boot as soon as you unlock the car, so by the time I get settled in, start the car, and pick out something in Spotify, the Dynavin is ready to go. It also doesn't turn off completely until you've had the car off for about 20 minutes, so if you're running quick errands you don't have to deal with the boot times. Even if you do a cold boot it takes like 20 seconds or less, it's faster than most computers haha. Part of that is because it doesn't load the navigation until you need it, so it doesn't have to boot up its Windows CE partition on the initial boot.

Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    Yep. When wagons ride like extreme crap in the rear, 95% chance it's those SF bushings. Either powerflex or Meyle HD clearly the way to go.
    Yep. Meyle HD is what I went with. So far I'm happy. Now I just need to replace the rest of the 180k mile suspension :P
    1995 525i 5-speed - Thread

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    The SB bush tool indeed has to be different because of the way the Touring bushers are longer on the bottom. An X53 one doesn't work either or so I am told.

I rented one of the 'community' ones when we did mine. There is one tool kit that does both which you want if you're going to do the M5 strut braces in the front.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    2006 M3 ZCP/2001 540iT
    /\ you can install poly bushings without the tool. Just lube em aggressively.

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by rsbblackm3 View Post
    just lube em aggressively.
    twss
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    2000 540i SC'd | 2001 M5

Danny's Japan Rot 540i Touring Thread

Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    twss
    I remember middle school lol. That was good though.
    Sold: 2000-BMW-E39-540i/Biarritz-Blue/Gray-Interior/DSP Sound.
    Engine/Drivetrain: VF-Engineering (Vortech V3 Si-Trim, 3.25''/6'' Pulleys/Tial QRJ -1.5PSI/Bosch Green Giants),Manifold,Magnaflow 16858 (Dual Exhaust/X-Pipe),High-Flow Cats/S62 Clutch & Plate/AEM 320 Fuel Pump/TTFS-Tune/AEM Wideband/Boost Failsafe/E60 SSK/ZHP Knob/CDV Delete.
    Handling: ECSTuning Cup Kit (Koni Yellow/H&R 50464)/BF-Goodrich Comp-2 A/S.
    Cosmetic: Front & Rear M-Tech Bumpers/Finned Rear Diffuser/Piano Black Interior Trim/Style 37's.

Current: 2001-BMW-E39-M5/Carbon-Black/Silverstone-Interior/Sport Seats/Dinan Exhaust

YouTube Channel
    Instagram
    Twitter

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    A few days ago I obtained some LED angel eye bulbs. They update the angel eyes in a pretty subtle way, and they're a nice neutral white color as opposed to the ebay blue that I often see.

Photo Aug 23, 11 24 05 PM.jpg

I washed the touring a few days ago, using the AmmoNYC products that I recently got in the mail. Ammo Foam is an awesome soap that doesn't remove existing wax, and Ammo Hydrate is almost a miracle of product. You spritz a little bit onto a damp microfiber towel and somehow it picks up a ton of water even faster, all while lubricating the surface to prevent scratches in the drying process. After that, I went over everything with Ammo Spit (spray wax) as a finishing touch, along with Zaino tire shine. I love water based tire shines because they don't sling around, and they look nice for a pretty long time. I also have Ammo Skin (synthetic sealant), but I'll wait to apply that after I do a full paint correction. I'll probably do that in a month or two, once the temperatures drop a bit.

I also dropped the rear end of the touring a little bit in INPA and I'm really happy with how it sits now.

Photo Aug 24, 12 16 48 PM.jpg

Photo Aug 24, 12 21 09 PM.jpg

Photo Aug 24, 12 17 07 PM.jpg

You can also see my co-worker's Mustang parked next to my touring, in a rare state of being where it's not murdering pedestrians at Cars & Coffee (joking, joking... mostly)

Earlier today I had a guy come by and straighten my wheels. The rear wheels were perfectly in spec, but the front wheels were pretty beat up, with obvious bends on both. The technician did an excellent job and now both front wheels are in spec. The steering wheel doesn't shake anymore at 35-55mph like it did before, and I feel like it handles a little tighter now. I'm still going to replace all of the suspension components, but I'm glad to have the wheels all straight and true before I dive in.

My Cars
    1998 528i; 2000 540i;
    the car sure cleans up nice.
    gmak: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. A journey with my new-to-me 2000 540i

"Working on a BMW E39 is the best way to run out of time."

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    Went up to a cabin in the mountains of Prescott, AZ this weekend. It's less than two hours from my house but it's a totally different environment, like a proper forest. Of course I couldn't resist taking pictures of my car. The best part is that even though it rained all night there were no water spots on my car.

And my favorite shot:

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    Just rolled over 180,000 miles the other day. Unfortunately I was on the highway when it happened so by the time I took a picture it was 180,001. Oh well, close enough.

Photo Aug 28, 10 02 27 PM.jpg

The car drives great, it just rides like garbage, even with the new subframe bushings. That suspension refresh can't happen soon enough.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    '01 740i Sp, '07 335i
    Do you have yellow backlighting in your cluster?
    http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm71/krallopian/darthSigTest2_zpsn6zkw5id.jpg[/URL][URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/DFW7-Dallas-Fort-Worth-BMW-7-Series-Club/300942239566"]DFW7 on Facebook/URL]
    "The Last Great e38" 2001 i Sport - Born'd on date 1/01 Cosmos/Grey - 32.8K miles - 2 1/2 " Custom Exhaust, Center “X”over , Modified OEM rear bumper, M5 style trunk spoiler, M6 OEM wheels, M3 Steering wheel with working paddle shift & CF trim, Bi-Xenon upgrade, 13mm Rear sway bar added, SS brake lines and bronze bushings, Cross drilled rotors and painted calipers, Akebono pads, Zionsville aluminum radiator & exp. tank with electric fan, Sprint Booster, BluTooth conversion, MKIV Nav., Custom wood cupholder, DUDMD Tune, Orien V2.5 LED Angel Eyes, Evans waterless. Recently added grey faced //M5 Cluster - all gauges functioning. Changed the grey carpet to black and topped off with GG Bailey front/rear mats[/SIZE]

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    Quote Originally Posted by TxDarth View Post
    Do you have yellow backlighting in your cluster?
    Yep, it's a facelift M5 cluster that was coded to work with my car. I love it, it's so much more visually interesting than the stock E39 cluster. Plus the working warm up lights and oil temp gauge are pretty awesome, way more useful than the stupid MPG gauge that just flails back and forth uselessly.

My Cars
    00 528/5 & 02 530i Sport
    M5 cluster is awesome... What do the lights on the tach indicate exactly again? Shift points? how does it work for an AT car lol

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    Quote Originally Posted by JPR10 View Post
    M5 cluster is awesome... What do the lights on the tach indicate exactly again? Shift points? how does it work for an AT car lol
    Nah, it's basically like a redline that changes as the engine warms up. As the engine gets warmer, the redline moves higher and higher until it settles at 6.5k. It doesn't actually stop you from redlining the engine when it's cold, it's more like a visual reminder. I always thought it was pretty cool, it lets me know when the car is ready to be hammered.

Hilariously enough, the M5 cluster comes with the automatic shift lights by default, they just have to be enabled. I always thought it was a little weird how they left that in, but I guess if you think of the M5 cluster as a glorified E39 cluster it makes sense.

My Cars
    '01 740i Sp, '07 335i
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyzabolotny View Post
    Yep, it's a facelift M5 cluster that was coded to work with my car. I love it, it's so much more visually interesting than the stock E39 cluster. Plus the working warm up lights and oil temp gauge are pretty awesome, way more useful than the stupid MPG gauge that just flails back and forth uselessly.
    I have a working M5 cluster in my e38 but I noticed the yellow backlighting...I got mine from Paul or blackknight530i as he is know here. I went with the grey faces rather than the black - the e38 has black ones. He is now doing LED backlighting which looks even better with the grey and maybe even too bright.......mine here -

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm71/krallopian/darthSigTest2_zpsn6zkw5id.jpg[/URL][URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/DFW7-Dallas-Fort-Worth-BMW-7-Series-Club/300942239566"]DFW7 on Facebook/URL]
    "The Last Great e38" 2001 i Sport - Born'd on date 1/01 Cosmos/Grey - 32.8K miles - 2 1/2 " Custom Exhaust, Center “X”over , Modified OEM rear bumper, M5 style trunk spoiler, M6 OEM wheels, M3 Steering wheel with working paddle shift & CF trim, Bi-Xenon upgrade, 13mm Rear sway bar added, SS brake lines and bronze bushings, Cross drilled rotors and painted calipers, Akebono pads, Zionsville aluminum radiator & exp. tank with electric fan, Sprint Booster, BluTooth conversion, MKIV Nav., Custom wood cupholder, DUDMD Tune, Orien V2.5 LED Angel Eyes, Evans waterless. Recently added grey faced //M5 Cluster - all gauges functioning. Changed the grey carpet to black and topped off with GG Bailey front/rear mats[/SIZE]

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    Yeah, he coded my cluster to work properly with my car. I already had the cluster laying around from a 540i/6 I bought that had it included with the sale of the car. I used to not like the yellow backlighting, but it's really grown on me.

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    I'm glad you both are loving your M5 clusters. They look great in your cars and having the working oil temp stuff is really cool. I have M5 clusters in both my e39s and my e38. The two I6 e39s only have the working oil temp gauge for now, but of course the S62 in the e38 enables everything. Hopefully we will have a solution in the near future for enabling the warm up lights on M54s.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

-Paul
    2003 "M5" - Full M5 conversion, AMG C63S 6 piston front calipers, Porsche Panamera 4 piston rear calipers, GC Coilovers,
    Eibach ARBs, UUC Evo3/DSSR, Borla Exhaust w/Muffler Delete, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto, Bi-Xenons, e38 Style 37 M-Pars, e60 Hubs 530i 6-speed swap build thread
    2005 Range Rover 4.6is (M62TU Powered) - 4.6is Engine Swap from X5, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto
    2006 Porsche Cayman S - Soul Performance Competition Headers and Exhaust, H&R Coilovers, 718 Boxster Spyder wheels, Rennline 35mm rear spacers

My Cars
    are slow
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyzabolotny View Post
    Nah, it's basically like a redline that changes as the engine warms up. As the engine gets warmer, the redline moves higher and higher until it settles at 6.5k. It doesn't actually stop you from redlining the engine when it's cold, it's more like a visual reminder. I always thought it was pretty cool, it lets me know when the car is ready to be hammered.

Hilariously enough, the M5 cluster comes with the automatic shift lights by default, they just have to be enabled. I always thought it was a little weird how they left that in, but I guess if you think of the M5 cluster as a glorified E39 cluster it makes sense.
    I think it's used on Low OBC tests and parts bin 101.

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    Yesterday I ordered a full front and rear suspension refresh kit... RIP my wallet. There's no backing out now, I'm super deep into this car (both in terms of time and finances). Hopefully with all new bushings and ball joints my ride will get a lot better. After that's done, I'll be investing in a set of new shocks all around. Initially I wanted to go with Bilsteins all around since they're super cheap, but I've heard from a lot of people that they're too rough, which is not what I want from a daily driver. At this point I'm trying to decide between OEM sport shocks or aftermarket ones I want a comfortable ride since this is my daily driver, so any recommendations? I was thinking about Koni Yellows. I do want to keep the rear self-leveling suspension, so would those even work with that?

Page 11 of 45 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast