Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Lukas' E46 Maintenance/Build Thread

Quote Originally Posted by dworthy View Post
    Good thing you put down a piece of cardboard!

Sadly with the oil filled motor mounts, they tend to give away easier than the old solid style.

Yeah the heater hose should work for now, it will also help with the oil lose as well and should help with the vacuum leak.
    Really now? I'm contemplating between the OEM Lemforder and the solid rubber ones.

The Febi brand motor mounts are solid rubber according to FCP Euro and they're almost half the cost of the OEM Lemforder ones.

I just don't want a harsher ride, if solid ones would do that?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by xLukas; 07-17-2016 at 11:38 PM.
    Follow my Instagram to see what I'm wrenching on: @xlukaslw

My Cars
    2004 325XI/2008 GL320
    Corteco mounts are also very good.

My Cars
    2003 330Ci
    Quote Originally Posted by xLukas View Post
    I just don't want a harsher ride, if soldi ones would do that?
    I doubt it, unless you put billet aluminum mounts in there!
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwdirtracer View Post
    ...we shouldn't forget that he changed the radio oil...
    "Stop im assuming im people in the past im giving you all the info you need and all i here is bitching ......im not stupid"

Solid rubber Febi it is.

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Correct the oil filled ones are just there to absorb more drivetrain vibration.

As a plus, they will last 10-15 years and this will be the last time you will have to mess with them.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

Correct the oil filled ones are just there to absorb more drivetrain vibration.

As a plus, they will last 10-15 years and this will be the last time you will have to mess with them.
    Let's hope I'm not vibrating the entire car everywhere.

My Cars
    2004 325XI/2008 GL320
    Hydraulic mounts are by far superior to solid rubber when it comes to vibration. But they wear out faster for the same reason.

I guess I will find out if the mounts are horrendous. The only way I will really know is if I try them out myself with all of the mixed opinions of them.

This PCV modification or delete if you would seems very interesting and tempting:

http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-foru...-problems.html

3/8" hose on PCV/CCV to dipstick tube

I had to take a few moments enjoying the clean tray.

And

Missing lower hose. Maybe that's why the Service Engine Soon light came on when my dad drove it home.

Last edited by xLukas; 07-24-2016 at 03:32 PM.

Reset the P0420.

Drove to O'Reilly's, replaced the hose for a whopping $0.53 with some left over to do it again.

No code has come back yet.

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Yup that was a vacuum leak. What I would do is go thru every inch of rubber hose on the intake, and as you can see the intake boot is starting to crack. Go ahead and get the lower and upper boot, as one will fail after the other and no need to go in there twice! Also look at the other side of the motor, where the SAS is, that valve on the YM-03's and older still use a vacuum line.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    M-Flight Member

I believe I've got a radiator to replace before I even think of replacing the entire intake unit boots and all vacuum hoses.
    First picture is just below the upper radiator hose neck.

I believe it is coming from between the seams where the metal and plastic meet as well.

Last edited by xLukas; 07-26-2016 at 03:33 PM.

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    How does the bottom of the radiator look? Is it sagging like some people pants? If so, it is time for a replacement anyway, as 100k is a pretty long time for a plastic and aluminum radiator.
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member

How does the bottom of the radiator look? Is it sagging like some people pants? If so, it is time for a replacement anyway, as 100k is a pretty long time for a plastic and aluminum radiator.
    I looked for that when I had the fan off, it looked fine and I didn't notice any sagging.

Does my auxiliary fan switch need replacing if this happens? Video has many dislikes, possibly he's wrong?

Mine kicks on eventually (with AC on), and I'm not overheating. It'll inch along like shown in the video though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50PIceJUScw

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    The fan should cycle with the A/C compressor, and if it is the only time it is coming on, don't worry everything is normal. If you were down south, I would be more worried but as long as the clutch fan is working properly you won't overheat.
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member

The fan should cycle with the A/C compressor, and if it is the only time it is coming on, don't worry everything is normal. If you were down south, I would be more worried but as long as the clutch fan is working properly you won't overheat.
    Sweet, thanks dworthy.

I know my transmission requires 9.5 quarts of ATF with the torque converter. I'm only supposed to be able to get around 4 or 5 quarts without having some type of evacuator, since most of the ATF is left in the torque converter.

Can someone confirm how many quarts I will need just to change out the fluid to change the filter and gasket? I was planning on just buying the whole 10 quarts to flush it, but I'd rather drive it for a little while then change the fluid again to get all of the old stuff out.

If I could flush in one go like shops do it, that'd be ideal but I don't have an evacuator.

I'm getting really sick of BMWs fragile plastic components. Wish they were an aluminum.

Was replacing my radiator, expansion tank and the hoses and the stupid transmission oil cooler thermostat broke.

I'm not sure what the three gaskets they sent with the rad are for.

Messed up the socket a little when removing the bottom half of it. Do you guys think the socket is still good?

Oh, and most of the 'coolant' was see through as in likely 90% of it was plain water. Good thing I'm doing this.

Last edited by xLukas; 08-12-2016 at 06:24 AM.

Replaced all of the components. Nissens radiator, Meyle expansion tank, Rein upper and lower radiator hoses and the transmission thermostat. Finally finished and filled up and bled just a little bit ago. Brought it to temp and watched the needle. It stayed at 12 o'clock.

I hope I'm done wth the cooling system at least for a little bit.

Only thing I'd be worried about right now is the automatic transmission thermostat socket and air being in the system since it was my first time bleeding a cooling system.

Last edited by xLukas; 08-11-2016 at 04:35 AM.

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    You can see the brown stain from the old o-ring, but I would feel more comfortable with replacing it. When the plastic gets that brittle, it doesn't take much to finish breaking the rest of the way.
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member

Drove it, and nothing went past 12 o'clock.

Checked the expansion tank and I've added fluid before driving. Drove it two miles and I'm low again. And I now see this..

This better not be a headgasket. I just replaced all of these cooling components and now this shows up?

My Cars
    2004 325XI/2008 GL320
    Thats nothing to worry about. Its a oil vapor/condensation mix that attaches itself to the highest point in the engine. Its the result of a cold engine heating up and a warm engine cooling off. It will burn itself off the longer its driven. Completely normal. Every vehicle I have ever owned has done it and it's worse in the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by dhurley34 View Post
    Thats nothing to worry about. Its a oil vapor/condensation mix that attaches itself to the highest point in the engine. Its the result of a cold engine heating up and a warm engine cooling off. It will burn itself off the longer its driven. Completely normal. Every vehicle I have ever owned has done it and it's worse in the winter.
    I know of this and I've only driven a couple miles, though it hadn't happened before I did the cooling system replacements. What worries me is that I'm losing coolant, see no external leak except maybe a drip of residual coolant from bleeding, and saw this. It freaks me out.

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    It is called "Burping". Once the system heats-up and the thermostat opens, it pushed the rest of the air out of the engine into the surge tank. Very normal if you don't use a vacuum system filling style. You may have to top it off once more, so expect it.

Also the little bit of condensation on the cap is normal, as any drive below 20 minutes isn't enough for the CCV system to do it's job properly.
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member

Quote Originally Posted by dhurley34 View Post
    It is called "Burping". Once the system heats-up and the thermostat opens, it pushed the rest of the air out of the engine into the surge tank. Very normal if you don't use a vacuum system filling style. You may have to top it off once more, so expect it.

Also the little bit of condensation on the cap is normal, as any drive below 20 minutes isn't enough for the CCV system to do it's job properly.
    Thanks for the reassurance. I was worried there. Topped it offer before work, went to work and checked the level afterwards, it was still the same. I believe it was "burping." Especially the first time I drove it after replacing the cooling components, I heard a hiss when I turned off the engine.

Went to Walmart and picked up some Supertech Dexron VI for the transmission fluid, filter and gasket change. Only was able to get three quarts tonight though.

According to the Bentley I only need 4.2 quarts to change the fluid, without the use of using a flushing system to remove the rest from the torque converter!

Last edited by xLukas; 08-12-2016 at 06:00 AM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast