Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Celis clear/red touring tails question

My Cars
    2006 M3 ZCP/2001 540iT

Celis clear/red touring tails question

Just received these bad boys today and I am looking for references on how to properly install them. I did search quite a bit but havent found a good guide yet. Most seem to be for pre-facelifts.

My wagon is a 2001 so facelifted with led already. What do I need to do to make them work to euro spec and make sure I dont over-load them? I am not sure if they are just plug in and code or not. Any good links to the coding or a DIY I missed would be much appreciated!

Never mind the inner lights, going to shine and polish them up tonight!

Last edited by RSBBlackM3; 07-03-2016 at 07:21 PM.

2001 540it Black/Black --- 2006 M3 Competition Pkg Black/Black
    **FOR SALE - E39 DINAN 540I 4" intake and filter - gently used PM ME for details.

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    You will need to code them for Euro spec. They are plug and play but when you brake, your turn signals will also light up. This will not pass inspection. Paul coded mine when he was at my house for RVAE34fest.

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi,

And I eventually want the US spec all red CELIS Touring outer clusters on my car, so will also need to code them from US spec to Euro/UK spec!

I absolutely hate the way the inner clusters on facelift tourings go cloudy like this, almost every set I see has this. Apparently it's not as easy as just polishing them up, I vaguely recall having to open them up and polish on the inside as well? I may be wrong though... I also need to list the 3 sets of rear sets I've got lying around...

There is a thread in this section somewhere from a few years ago now I think which gave some good detailed information on the US guys installing and coding up the Euro Clear top CELIS clusters - need to search that one out!

Cheers, Dennis!

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    You can't open the inner lights though. The LED's are permanent so when they go out, you have to buy new ones. I also hate that issue. It's within the plastic itself it seems as polishing will not repair the issue. The best way to fix it is to wetsand and then clear coat. Then wetsand and polish. The clear fills in those microcracks. Mine still look great although I do need to rear clear and polish the passenger side as it's a tiny bit hazy again after 3-4 years.

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi B,

I recall perhaps on German Ebay, there's a place offering to refinish/refusbish these inner clusters, again vaguely ! might have to do some more searching !

Cheers, Dennis!

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    The best part about the inners is that they are universal for US/Euro and last I checked they weren't terribly expensive new. But that was years ago...

My Cars
    2006 M3 ZCP/2001 540iT
    Thanks fellaz, so plug in and mess with the LCM settings to get independent turnsigs and it should be ok? B does your buddy have a forum handle? I have a local coding guru but I'd love to hand him a guide and save the trial and error phase, its getting hot outside!

I just hit the inners with compound, polish, finish and they look a lot better. Good nuff for now. Will post pics soon. I think a coat of clear coat on them would really help a ton. The clear part is back to clear but the red just looks more dull than the outside, which looks damn near new.

- - - Updated - - -

Got off work early today and its mother-inlaw weekend so trying to squeeze in some car fun before that kicks off. You can see the cleaned up centers, everything is good but the red is just semi gloss. Possibly more work with the DA could shine that up but I really think clearcoat could really restore them up to "new glossy". Anyone tried that?

Last edited by RSBBlackM3; 07-01-2016 at 03:11 PM.

**FOR SALE - E39 DINAN 540I 4" intake and filter - gently used PM ME for details.

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    This is one of Paul's recent threads.

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...p-build-thread

- - - Updated - - -

You must have missed my previous post

Quote Originally Posted by RSBBlackM3 View Post

Got off work early today and its mother-inlaw weekend so trying to squeeze in some car fun before that kicks off. You can see the cleaned up centers, everything is good but the red is just semi gloss. Possibly more work with the DA could shine that up but I really think clearcoat could really restore them up to "new glossy". Anyone tried that?

Quote Originally Posted by RVAE34 View Post
    You can't open the inner lights though. The LED's are permanent so when they go out, you have to buy new ones. I also hate that issue. It's within the plastic itself it seems as polishing will not repair the issue. The best way to fix it is to wetsand and then clear coat. Then wetsand and polish. The clear fills in those microcracks. Mine still look great although I do need to rear clear and polish the passenger side as it's a tiny bit hazy again after 3-4 years.
    Check my thread starting with post #486

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...2#post26113942
    Last edited by RVAE34; 07-01-2016 at 03:21 PM.

My Cars
    2006 M3 ZCP/2001 540iT
    Derp, skimming not reading, my bad! Looks like a good fix. I'll PM paul now, thanks!

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    Btw, I used this stuff to clear my lights. U-Pol 2k UV clear. Got it from my local Auto Paint Supply place.

And Paul is the man for many issues you may run across. He is as honest as they come too.

My Cars
    2006 M3 ZCP/2001 540iT
    Zipped over to the auto paint store and got some clear. 5 min between coats and #2 is drying. I am determined to get this ready for install this weekend. I have a bulb out and its on the subwoofer side. I just wanna pull that once and have my new tails in.

Thanks for the direction RVAE34

- - - Updated - - -

Brand new inners are 151 each from ECS...that's out.

Mine are drying up nicely, got some gloss for sure. I wil wetsand tomorrow and attempt install. Hoping Paul reaches out with the key to the code mystery.

My Cars
    2003 546it m-sport
    As a guy who polishes stuff everyday, all day:
    A DA can do some work but a spinning wheel either foam or coarse wool and some rubbing compound will give you the best results. Follow with a DA and more compound and change to a soft pad with more compound. Clean them with a window cleaner or water and white vinegar to remove the oils from the compound before polishing with a polymer polish or clear coat. Then enjoy.

Cool project. I've wondered if I'd like clear markers on mine for a whike now. Good luck. I expect cool pics soon.
    Last edited by Plattus1000; 07-02-2016 at 02:05 AM.

My Cars
    2006 M3 ZCP/2001 540iT
    Quote Originally Posted by Plattus1000 View Post
    As a guy who polishes stuff everyday, all day:
    A DA can do some work but a spinning wheel either foam or coarse wool and some rubbing compound will give you the best results. Follow with a DA and more compound and change to a soft pad with more compound. Clean them with a window cleaner or water and white vinegar to remove the oils from the compound before polishing with a polymer polish or clear coat. Then enjoy.

Cool project. I've wondered if I'd like clear markers on mine for a whike now. Good luck. I expect cool pics soon.
    Dude thanks! So don't wet sand it at all, just go coarse wool, then compound with the da to polish, and finish. Can I use my table buffer? \/

Cool pics are coming soon. One of my pals is a photogeek, got him cornered into a shoot as soon as my bbk goes on!

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Hey, sorry for the delay in responding about the coding needed, but it's as simple as changing 2 values in the LCM that look the same and 1 other one. I'll get them for you in a few minutes when I get to my computer. Brandon's was more complicated since he had a prefacelift with a newer LCM than the car wanted to work with, so I had to manually hex edit the LCM to get it to work. Yours is much easier because it's already a facelift and NCSExpert can already talk to it.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

-Paul
    2003 "M5" - Full M5 conversion, AMG C63S 6 piston front calipers, Porsche Panamera 4 piston rear calipers, GC Coilovers,
    Eibach ARBs, UUC Evo3/DSSR, Borla Exhaust w/Muffler Delete, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto, Bi-Xenons, e38 Style 37 M-Pars, e60 Hubs 530i 6-speed swap build thread
    2005 Range Rover 4.6is (M62TU Powered) - 4.6is Engine Swap from X5, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto
    2006 Porsche Cayman S - Soul Performance Competition Headers and Exhaust, H&R Coilovers, 718 Boxster Spyder wheels, Rennline 35mm rear spacers

My Cars
    2006 M3 ZCP/2001 540iT
    Fantastic! Thank you in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by blackknight530i View Post
    Hey, sorry for the delay in responding about the coding needed, but it's as simple as changing 2 values in the LCM that look the same and 1 other one. I'll get them for you in a few minutes when I get to my computer. Brandon's was more complicated since he had a prefacelift with a newer LCM than the car wanted to work with, so I had to manually hex edit the LCM to get it to work. Yours is much easier because it's already a facelift and NCSExpert can already talk to it.

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Here are the values that need to be changed in NCSExpert:

BL_UND_BLK_H_GEMEINSAM = nicht_aktiv (Brake Lights as Turn Signals)
    BL_UND_BLK_H_GEM_WBL = nicht_aktiv (Brake Lights as Hazard Lights)
    BL_UND_BLK_H_GEM_BLK= nicht_aktiv (Brake Lights as Turn Signals)

That's it. If you're in Europe and you want the opposite (synced up top and bottom lights for turn signals and hazards), you just change each to aktiv.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, I'm in need of a set of nice inner lights as well. Mine have tons of those microcracks as well. I do love my Euro clears though. I traded with another member in Germany who wanted US tails, so we each were out shipping cost both ways. Turned out to be a pretty good deal.

-Paul
    2003 "M5" - Full M5 conversion, AMG C63S 6 piston front calipers, Porsche Panamera 4 piston rear calipers, GC Coilovers,
    Eibach ARBs, UUC Evo3/DSSR, Borla Exhaust w/Muffler Delete, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto, Bi-Xenons, e38 Style 37 M-Pars, e60 Hubs 530i 6-speed swap build thread
    2005 Range Rover 4.6is (M62TU Powered) - 4.6is Engine Swap from X5, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto
    2006 Porsche Cayman S - Soul Performance Competition Headers and Exhaust, H&R Coilovers, 718 Boxster Spyder wheels, Rennline 35mm rear spacers

My Cars
    525it,02 525it,73 2002
    I so want a set of euro tails for my touring. Glad to see how easy it is to program.
    I notice most euro tails state 97-2000. Will these fit ? work on a 2001 ?
    RSB what year are your euro tails ? You have facelift model right ?

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Quote Originally Posted by jp5Touring View Post
    I so want a set of euro tails for my touring. Glad to see how easy it is to program.
    I notice most euro tails state 97-2000. Will these fit ? work on a 2001 ?
    RSB what year are your euro tails ? You have facelift model right ?
    They fit on a prefacelift, but you need a newer LCM IIIB to deal with the LEDs, or get ballasts, just like the sedans that do CELIS retrofits.

-Paul

My Cars
    2006 M3 ZCP/2001 540iT
    blackknight530i! Thanks ever so much for posting this! Thank you very much, should be a walk in the park!

Yes mine is an 01 facelift. The tails are marked 2002 on them. I got them from ebay.co.uk.

JP5Touring: I think bk530i answered the rest of your questions.

Update on the resto: No joy sanding/polishing. I went from 400-600-1000-1500-2000-wool w/compound-polishing-finishing and something looked off. There were still scratches and it looked dull. I cleaned them off really well and have re-shot clear. Its laying really flat right now so I may just live with a tid bit of orange peel on them since that will only be perceptible to the keenest of eyes and perhaps my detail guy can have a whack at it in the future.

I haven't heard from my coding guy but I am hoping that he will swing by this afternoon and atleast code it for me so I can pop them in late tonight or, more likely, tomorrow when the clear is all set-up and safe.

Woo hoo! Thanks all contributors!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by blackknight530i View Post
    They fit on a prefacelift, but you need a newer LCM IIIB to deal with the LEDs, or get ballasts, just like the sedans that do CELIS retrofits.

And just to confirm, since the facelift already has all red celis, there is no reason to add any resistors or code anything beyond what you specified in your code post due to them being over powered by the US LCM, right?
    Last edited by RSBBlackM3; 07-02-2016 at 01:47 PM.

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    blackknight530i! Thanks ever so much for posting this! Thank you very much, should be a walk in the park!

Yes mine is an 01 facelift. The tails are marked 2002 on them. I got them from ebay.co.uk.

JP5Touring: I think bk530i answered the rest of your questions.

Update on the resto: No joy sanding/polishing. I went from 400-600-1000-1500-2000-wool w/compound-polishing-finishing and something looked off. There were still scratches and it looked dull. I cleaned them off really well and have re-shot clear. Its laying really flat right now so I may just live with a tid bit of orange peel on them since that will only be perceptible to the keenest of eyes and perhaps my detail guy can have a whack at it in the future.

I haven't heard from my coding guy but I am hoping that he will swing by this afternoon and atleast code it for me so I can pop them in late tonight or, more likely, tomorrow when the clear is all set-up and safe.

Woo hoo! Thanks all contributors!

- - - Updated - - -

And just to confirm, since the facelift already has all red celis, there is no reason to add any resistors or code anything beyond what you specified in your code post due to them being over powered by the US LCM, right?
    Correct, for you it's just coding the turn signals to be separate. Also, just to clarify, the settings you're changing it to are the same for an e39 sedan, which already has the turn signals separate. For any sedan owners that want to be different, you can code it like a US touring and have the turn signals tied to the brakes and hazards.

-Paul

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi

Blackknight, thanks for your excellent knowledge ! I'm technical as well, but I just can't wrap my head around all this BMW coding stuff and mobile phone firmware hacks and all that jazz !

JP5T - PM me ! I have some choices for you !

Cheers, Dennis!

My Cars
    2006 M3 ZCP/2001 540iT
    Clear coat set up. You can see a hit of peel but I'm not sweating it. They look 10x better than they did yesterday. The red is nice and glossy and the clear part is white/silver, no more yellow. I had some amber invisibulbs so I popped them in for that all clear look.

Last edited by RSBBlackM3; 07-02-2016 at 03:33 PM.

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Clear coat set up. You can see a hit of peel but I'm not sweating it. They look 10x better than they did yesterday. The red is nice and glossy and the clear part is white/silver, no more yellow.

Pretty impressive.

-Paul

My Cars
    2006 M3 ZCP/2001 540iT
    Thanks! In case anyone is tackleing this I ended up finding "Transtar - 6213 Jammin' Clear" at my auto body shop. Was $19 for the can. Says ideal for door jams and small touch up. Seems like good stuff! I think starting with 1000-1500-2000-compound and them clear would have worked great. Thats basically what I ended up doing in my re-do. I am debating whether do do the outers too so that the peel matches.

- - - Updated - - -

Just talked to my coding guy. Going to run over there soon and get that done so its ready for install tomorrow! I think I am going to bathe the car before install, get the tail light sockets really well too. Pics very possible.
    Last edited by RSBBlackM3; 07-02-2016 at 03:40 PM.

My Cars
    2003 546it m-sport
    Dude thanks! So don't wet sand it at all, just go coarse wool, then compound with the da to polish, and finish. Can I use my table buffer? \/

Cool pics are coming soon. One of my pals is a photogeek, got him cornered into a shoot as soon as my bbk goes on!
    The bench wheels will work but they spin fast, heat is not your friend here. Be mindful of keeping the piece in constant motion to avoid a buildup of heat from the friction and you should be good.

Wet sanding isn't a bad way to go but I can do a set of headlights/tails in 10 minutes my way as opposed to the longer sanding process, especially if you keep upping the grit till it's "polished"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast