My Cars
    2004 BMW X5 4.40i

Trouble Code Diagnostics OBD II

I have been trying to find diagnostic charts for trouble codes. I have purchased a couple different digital service manuals, but the troubleshooting charts are not included, only definitions of what the codes represent. One made reference to DTC Charts, but I couldn't find any. In my GM factory service manuals, for each trouble code, there is a description of how things are designed to work, what conditions can set the code, and a troubleshooting guide for things to check. Does BMW have anything like this and if so, where can I find it? I have a 2004 BMW X5 4.40L.

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    If you just need the generic DTC (diagnostic trouble codes) that apply to any simple OBD II code reader/scanner (and not a specific code reader like Peake which has its own specific code table)...then your answer is just a simple Internet/Google search away.

If you type "OBD II codes" into a Google search box...you should find multiple sites that give the simple OBD II "P" codes that apply to all car manufactures since the 1996 OBD II federal mandate. If you have a simple/generic OBD II code reader and it gave you a DTC "P" code...then just add that "P" code to the search phrase (ex: "OBD II code P0083" or "BMW OBD II code P0083").
    Last edited by Qsilver7; 07-02-2016 at 11:36 AM.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    2004 BMW X5 4.40i
    Sorry for the late follow up. Thank you for that suggestion. I was working on a BMW specific code, P1720, but I got the issue resolved. Ended up being a blown fuse in the glove box for engine control. For future needs, I still would like to know if there are BMW diagnostic troubleshooting charts published anywhere.

My Cars
    2005 BMW X5
    Thank you for following up about what the problem ended up being. It's a much simpler fix than what I was going to start with. I hope that's the only thing wrong with mine! I'll follow up if it's something else.

My Cars
    E53, E90, Triumph GT6
    Quote Originally Posted by Canuck! View Post
    Sorry for the late follow up. Thank you for that suggestion. I was working on a BMW specific code, P1720, but I got the issue resolved. Ended up being a blown fuse in the glove box for engine control. For future needs, I still would like to know if there are BMW diagnostic troubleshooting charts published anywhere.
    Try here:
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...2#post19791882