Thread: 2001 330ci Issues

My Cars
    2001, 330ci Convertible

2001 330ci Issues

Hello,

I am a new BMW owner and almost regretting the purchase, I am chasing the dreaded service engine light problems. Let me start out with what i thought was the main issue and that was a idle air valve, I replaced the idle air and the DISA valve and the car started to run better but still had a coolant temp code. I replaced the thermostat and hoses, temp sensor in lower hose. I also changed the water pump, cooling fan and clutch, both belts, both tensioners, idler pulley, cam sensor and fuel filter while I had the front of the car apart. I am still getting a too lean code on both sensors P0171 (bank 1) and P0174 (bank 2). I have looked for all the obvious vacuum leaks and have not been able to find any. The car has failed inspection and i am trying to find out what i could possibly be missing. I have been reading forums for advice and everyone is helpful but I cannot find what could be causing my problems. Does anyone know anything I might have missed ? I am starting to think I made a bad purchase and need to get the car to pass inspection.
    Last edited by Fixit1070; 06-28-2016 at 10:23 AM.

My Cars
    2003 330Ci
    Get a smoke test performed.
    There are so many vacuum lines in these cars, it may be one of the smaller hoses in a hard to see area. A smoke test will be definitive, unless you missed a hole/crack in your inspection.

Where about in NJ are you? I know of a very reputable guy in central Jersey who specializes in BMWs.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwdirtracer View Post
    ...we shouldn't forget that he changed the radio oil...
    "Stop im assuming im people in the past im giving you all the info you need and all i here is bitching ......im not stupid"

My Cars
    2001, 330ci Convertible
    Bordentown area Near exit 7 on the turnpike

My Cars
    2003 330Ci
    HAHA! I live in B-city!
    Welcome brother!

The place is called Southampton Imported Cars. It's on rt. 38 just west of the jct @ rt. 206 (there is a Wawa @ the jct).
    I usually do my own wrenching but when I can't be bothered or am just unsure I go there. The owners name is Paul, he knows his stuff (& he drives an E36 M3!).
    If you go there, call ahead and set an appointment...pay in cash, he really likes that.

That being said, I'm unsure if he has a smoke machine (never needed it)...though I wouldn't be surprised if he did. Worst case, you call, you ask, he points you somewhere good.

Oh, and since you're in the area...I ONLY buy tires and get alignments done at RW on 206 (they do proper 4-wheel alignments).
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwdirtracer View Post
    ...we shouldn't forget that he changed the radio oil...
    "Stop im assuming im people in the past im giving you all the info you need and all i here is bitching ......im not stupid"

My Cars
    2001, 330ci Convertible
    Thanks , I will be sure to check them out if i need to. I am hoping the last few repairs will keep me out of the shop.

My Cars
    2001, 330ci Convertible
    Some how I made it with out a code showing up until I made it thru inspection after driving approx 125 miles. While driving to work this morning the SEL came on again, connected the code scanner and now I have a P0174 Bank 2 code. This car is driving me crazy.

What I had failed to mention was that I had changed out my mass air flow sensor with an after market one and that was casing me to chase codes that were not legit. I reinstalled my factory mass air sensor, reset the codes and things settled down, now I am curious if the P1074 bank 2 code is a bad sensor or still something caused by a vac leak or other issue.
    Last edited by Fixit1070; 06-30-2016 at 11:04 AM.

Check your intake

My Cars
    2003 Bmw 530i
    I would check the CCV and associated vac lines. Also distribution piece on top of the IM.

I'm with what the others have said. Using a smoke machine to trace Vac leaks is much more efficient use of time.

If you look through threads of 330/530 I'm pretty sure we have the same M54. I have the 530.

GL.

Easy car to repair (but can be pricey for quality parts).