Thread: Coupe Door Brake Split Sheetmetal DIY fix.

My Cars
    2004 325XI/2008 GL320

Coupe Door Brake Split Sheetmetal DIY fix.

***This will take a bit of fabrication experience, but the concept is solid and only cost roughly $8 and 4 hours to repair.***

On my previous E46 (coupe), I noticed that the drivers door began to split around the brake (the mechanism that keeps the door from folding backwards when open) from repeated use and abuse. It's not very noticeable because a rubber boot covers the mechanism arm and bolts. However, I noticed when I was lubing the hinges one day and saw the sheetmetal bowed out. So I removed the rubber cover and place the door on a table for further examination

1.jpg

Once I straightened the sheet metal back to its original form, I carefully welded the cracks. This must be done slowly to prevent warping. Be sure and stop drill the tips of the cracks. Pardon the welds, only had a flux core available. Be sure and grind the welds flat.

2.jpg

I went to home depot and picked up a blank piece of metal plate. I believe it was 22 gauge thick. After trimming it to size and creating a hole in the center for the arm to pass through, I tested the fit. You'll notice that the there are holes drilled for rosette welds. This will keep the pressure from further twisting the extended sheet metal.

3.jpg

After the fit was confirmed, I welded the rosette's and then stitch welded the outside of the plate. Doing it in this order will prevent warping and encapsulate the cracks. Most of the weld burn marks were removed, but I didn't care because I was going to paint that portion of the door black to protect the plate anyways.

I wasn't able to get any pics of the completed product because it got dark fast, but everything fit back together perfectly. All parts were able to be reused.
    Last edited by dhurley34; 06-24-2016 at 12:52 PM.